Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why Do Shias Wear Those Red Strings

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Why do Shias wear those red/ green coloured strings? Is it like how people wear stones for safety, etc. So what are those strings meant to do? And is there a Hadith or something proving it?

Salaam :)

i have never seen any shia wearing strings. at least i didn't see

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

Why do Shias wear those red/ green coloured strings? Is it like how people wear stones for safety, etc. So what are those strings meant to do? And is there a Hadith or something proving it?

(salam)(bismillah)

If I'm not mistaken, I've seen a small number of people do this in Iran. I think the reason being is that they went to the shrines of certain Imams or ayatollahs, and they rub the piece of cloth or string, or even their aghigh rings on the shrine and wear it.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

It's basic human psychology to want to have something physical to hold on to, something one can see and touch to derive comfort and assurance from - hence the red threads, amulets, talisman, chewing flowers off alams, swallowing soil from holy places, etc.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

The problem is that traditions is what is messing Islam up. Someday when people kill others, instead of burying them they cut off their heads and place them right infront of their beds and when they wake up, they would be reminded of imam Husain's head :!!!:(isn't that what it is leading to? I mean from light chest beating to busting your head with a sword) . Why can't u stick to the roots and leave this garbage.Enough with them hurting their bodies or assigning symbols to represent islam when the rasool (pbuh) or ahlul bait (as) never tought it before.

Edited by youssefnayef
  • Advanced Member

It's basic human psychology to want to have something physical to hold on to, something one can see and touch to derive comfort and assurance from - hence the red threads, amulets, talisman, chewing flowers off alams, swallowing soil from holy places, etc.

Well said.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

The problem is that traditions is what is messing Islam up. Someday when people kill others, instead of burying them they cut off their heads and place them right infront of their beds and when they wake up, they would be reminded of imam Husain's head :!!!:(isn't that what it is leading to? I mean from light chest beating to busting your head with a sword) . Why can't u stick to the roots and leave this garbage.Enough with them hurting their bodies or assigning symbols to represent islam when the rasool (pbuh) or ahlul bait (as) never tought it before.

LOL at the head thing... hmmmmm.. doesn't sound THAT bad :P did u see that guy who put his wife's corps in a glass confine and made her into glass table! lool>> ok irrelevant..

I don't think it's messing Islam.. as one of the above posts said it's that psychology of wanting to be reminded of something they love :) and I'm not sure if Ahl albait did something similar.. but remember prophet Jacob he kept his dad's shirt and belt and gave it later to prophet Josef to be reminded of him and to have his blessings.. :)

• Advanced Member

LOL at the head thing... hmmmmm.. doesn't sound THAT bad :P did u see that guy who put his wife's corps in a glass confine and made her into glass table! lool>> ok irrelevant..

(salam)

a3ootho billah he made her into a glass table :!!!: what is the benefit of that? to be reminded of after life and how he will die also?

I don't think it's messing Islam.. as one of the above posts said it's that psychology of wanting to be reminded of something they love :) and I'm not sure if Ahl albait did something similar.. but remember prophet Jacob he kept his dad's shirt and belt and gave it later to prophet Josef to be reminded of him and to have his blessings.. :)

now compare that with busting your head with a sword and blood coming out? see anything different? :blush:

Edited by youssefnayef
  • Advanced Member

Are you referring to the red strings that Pakistani/Indian Muslims wear on their wrists? It is called a "kalava". It was Hindu custom/superstition to wear red strings on your wrist to ward off evil spirits. As with many cultural rituals, Muslims from the Indian subcontinent eventually adopted them for similar purposes. I see people wearing them especially in Muharram. The strings are touched by an alam and a prayer is recited upon them as part of the fatiha for the martyrs of Karbala.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

(bismillah)

Are you referring to the red strings that Pakistani/Indian Muslims wear on their wrists? It is called a "kalava". It was Hindu custom/superstition to wear red strings on your wrist to ward off evil spirits. As with many cultural rituals, Muslims from the Indian subcontinent eventually adopted them for similar purposes. I see people wearing them especially in Muharram. The strings are touched by an alam and a prayer is recited upon them as part of the fatiha for the martyrs of Karbala.

Yes, this is exactly what he is talking about. This is a mushrik tradition that must be stopped. This is prevalent amongst Indo-Paks. This needs to stop amongst our shee'ahs. This is a not a shee'ah tradition, there are no hadeeth concerning this.

Kalava (Sanskrit: कलावा) is the sacred Hindu thread also called mauli in Hindi. It is worn while performing Hindu rituals like Yajna or Puja. It is tied by a priest on the wrists of all the people attending the prayer ceremony. Kalava is tied on right hand of males and unmarried females, and on left hand of married females. Sometimes it has small yellow parts in between the mostly red string. It sometimes has knots which are tied up while reciting Sanskrit mantras to invoke Brahman and is worn to ward off evil from the person who wears this red thread.

(salam)

• Advanced Member

(salam)

a3ootho billah he made her into a glass table :!!!: what is the benefit of that? to be reminded of after life and how he will die also?

now compare that with busting your head with a sword and blood coming out? see anything different? :blush:

LOOL! he just loved her too much and didn't want her out of his sight.. u know like what the dawrfs did with snow white.. excpet this one is real! lool 2 bad she won't wake up with a kiss tho :S

and I gave my example abt keeping things as remainder nothing to do with tatbir here ;)

• Advanced Member

(salam)

(bismillah)

Yes, this is exactly what he is talking about. This is a mushrik tradition that must be stopped. This is prevalent amongst Indo-Paks. This needs to stop amongst our shee'ahs. This is a not a shee'ah tradition, there are no hadeeth concerning this.

(salam)

Bro, mushrek traditions have entered Islam from every corner. Can we expect anything else when people mix culture with religion?

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Before I reply to the bolded part I have to say I am one the people who is VERY against messing culture/traditions with religion. That said, I disagree with what you're saying because wearing a green string that once touched the shrine of the Imam because people feel this piece of clothe is special and dear to them does NOT mean they're messing culture with religion. They are not saying it is mustahab, so as long as they don't consider it mustahab then there is NOTHING wrong with wearing these strings. You're "head"example is out of proportion . Say my mother passes away and I keep one of her scarfs that I would wrap around my neck sometimes, it's something that's related to my mother, it's dear to me, I smell it, wear it and respect it too(I wont through it in the garbage for example), would that conflict with Islam? No. Now although the green piece of clothe never touched our Imam's bodies etc, since we cannot get anything from them directly some people take whatever is the closest to this symbol, they take a piece of clothe to ziayarah, make it touch the "window" of the shrine where the Imam is buried and then they'll keep it (wrap it around their wrist or something). Having said all that, I personally don't wear any of those strings BUT that's only a personal preference, some people really want anything "from" the Imam/their shrine/anything related/to them or that reminds them of the Imams so let it be-It's called MUBAAH/allowed in our religion.

• Advanced Member

Before I reply to the bolded part I have to say I am one the people who is VERY against messing culture/traditions with religion. That said, I disagree with what you're saying because wearing a green string that once touched the shrine of the Imam because people feel this piece of clothe is special and dear to them does NOT mean they're messing culture with religion. They are not saying it is mustahab, so as long as they don't consider it mustahab then there is NOTHING wrong with wearing these strings. You're "head"example is out of proportion . Say my mother passes away and I keep one of her scarfs that I would wrap around my neck sometimes, it's something that's related to my mother, it's dear to me, I smell it, wear it and respect it too(I wont through it in the garbage for example), would that conflict with Islam? No. Now although the green piece of clothe never touched our Imam's bodies etc, since we cannot get anything from them directly some people take whatever is the closest to this symbol, they take a piece of clothe to ziayarah, make it touch the "window" of the shrine where the Imam is buried and then they'll keep it (wrap it around their wrist or something). Having said all that, I personally don't wear any of those strings BUT that's only a personal preference, some people really want anything "from" the Imam/their shrine/anything related/to them or that reminds them of the Imams so let it be-It's called MUBAAH/allowed in our religion.

Little question, can you wear a cross just because you find it beautiful?

• Advanced Member

(salam)

(bismillah)

Beautiful argument! Because I have seen non Christians wear crosses, because it is the "cool" thing to do.

When I went to Iraan, I saw them selling crosses and Zoroastrian symbol right at the bazaar of Imaam RiDaa (as), which is right outside his shrine. And some of the STUPID Iranian youth are dumb enough to think those symbols are "cool", so they wear it around there necks, when they are actually shee'ah. One of the many sad experiences I had when I went to Iraan.

I realize you have Christians who live in your country, but you are not suppose to support their shirk teachings.

(salam)

• Advanced Member

I'm not sure as I've never searched into this, but regardless of the answer, the cross, which has a symbol representing Christians belief, is nothing similar to the topic of this thread-Not everything is qiyaas, and you can't argue the impermissibility of crosses in relation to the strings. IF and only if, it's not permissible to wear crosses I assume it would be because of tashabuh bi ahl alkufr-which has nothing to do with the matter in question.

Edited by Calm
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

(bismillah)

I'm not sure as I've never searched into this, but regardless of the answer, the cross, which has a symbol representing Christians belief, is nothing similar to the topic of this thread-Not everything is qiyaas, and you can't argue the impermissibility of crosses in relation to the strings. IF and only if, it's not permissible to wear crosses I assume it would be because of tashabuh bi ahl alkufr-which has nothing to do with the matter in question.

How does this very topic not deal with "imitating the kuffaar"? this tradition was started by Hindus as a form of worship, and the Indo-Pak shee'ahs have implemented it in their ways.

(salam)

• Advanced Member

(salam)

(bismillah)

How does this very topic not deal with "imitating the kuffaar"? this tradition was started by Hindus as a form of worship, and the Indo-Pak shee'ahs have implemented it in their ways.

Forgive my ignorance, what exactly did the Hindus start? Did they cut a piece of clothe, made it touch the shrine of Imam and wore it on their wrist?

• Veteran Member

When I went to Iraan, I saw them selling crosses and Zoroastrian symbol right at the bazaar of Imaam RiDaa (as), which is right outside his shrine. And some of the STUPID Iranian youth are dumb enough to think those symbols are "cool", so they wear it around there necks, when they are actually shee'ah. One of the many sad experiences I had when I went to Iraan.

I realize you have Christians who live in your country, but you are not suppose to support their shirk teachings.

(salam)

I can confirm. I also saw little colourful idols of Hindu gods, the monkey-god Hanuman, and elephant-god Ganesh. These were being sold right there in Bazaar Sarshoor - the labyrinthine of alleyways with homes and markets just outside the Shrine of the Imam.

I don't really have a problem if they sell symbols like these. None of anyone's business. But I found it weird that they had displayed for sale miniature idols of Hindu gods and Christian symbols just a few yards from the shrine of Imam Redha, where there are no Hindus or Christians, instead of solely concerning them with Islamic merchandise.

Edited by Marbles
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

(bismillah)

Forgive my ignorance, what exactly did the Hindus start? Did they cut a piece of clothe, made it touch the shrine of Imam and wore it on their wrist?

The Hindus started this thing of having red and yellow string tied around your RIGHT hand, what the Shee'ah Muslims have done is add their "twist". But in essence it is the same thing.

I can confirm. I also saw little colourful idols of Hindu gods, the monkey-god Hanuman, and elephant-god Ganesh. These were being sold right there in Bazaar Sarshoor - the labyrinthine of alleyways with homes and markets just outside the Shrine of the Imam.

I don't really have a problem if they sell symbols like these. None of anyone's business. But I found it weird that they had displayed for sale miniature idols of Hindu gods and Christian symbols just a few yards from the shrine of Imam Redha, where there are no Hindus or Christians, instead of solely concerning them with Islamic merchandise.

Really? Wow?! You are not suppose to promote other peoples bid'ah and shirk. This is against Islaam. That is why as soon as Rasoolillaah (SAWAS) took control of Makkah Al-Mukarramah, he destroyed the idols.

Religions:

Muslim 98% (Shia 89%, Sunni 9%), other (includes Zoroastrian, Jewish, Christian, and Baha'i) 2%

Source: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ir.html

So it seems like Iraan is catering to less than 2% of the population. Heck maybe way less, since it doesn't even mention Hinduism in parenthesis.

You know what Iranians would do, they would buy that, sometimes out of their OWN ignorance of what that statue really is, and they would put that at their house on a shelf. Iranians loved art, and they'll look at that, and think it some "pretty" artwork, even though I think they are hideous.

(salam)

Edited by Nader Zaveri