Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
bousa

Marriage Between Shia And Sunni

Rate this topic

I like a Shia boy but I am Sunni. He is Iraqi and I am turkish but we both live in the US. I wish to marry him, but I do not know if his parents will allow it.Does anyone know the general rules that they go by when choosing a bride?

(salam)

You will probably need to ask him about his parents reaction. He knows the best.

I don't know a lot of Iraqi who marries outside of their own culture. I don't think this is the case now. Mix-marriages are now tolerated in many culture. :unsure:

The Islamic rules are all positive and there should be no problem. But being Iraqi myself I know mixed marriages are not tolerated in our culture. Most Iraqi parents wouldnt approve this kind of marriage. But you never know, let him talk to his parents or just ask him. Im sure he has an idea about the way of thinking of his parents.

Personally, I'm not in favor of mixed marriages, generally speaking, but that is moreso when the woman is a Shi`a and the man a Sunni. It can be difficult on the spouses, believing their loved one isn't completely on the right path, and even more confusing for the children. But, as I said, my objection on this is particularly when it is the reverse of your situation as it is the woman who is subjugated upon the religion of her husband.

While of course out of respect for his parents I imagine he'd want their approval, legally speaking it is not required for him as he is the man. Permission of the wali only becomes an issue for the female.

I like a Shia boy but I am Sunni. He is Iraqi and I am turkish but we both live in the US. I wish to marry him, but I do not know if his parents will allow it.Does anyone know the general rules that they go by when choosing a bride?

You are a Sunni

YOU wish to marry a Shia

Parents?

Has he proposed to you?

(bismillah)

(salam)

It is allowed for a Sunni woman to marry a Shia guy;

however, you two should spend a lot of time discussing how you're going to raise the kids.

And I wouldn't worry about his parents; most Iraqi families have at least 1 Sunni in the family and there is a lot of Sunni-Shia marriages.

I have a Shia aunt who married a Sunni and I have a Shia uncle who married a Sunni and my Shia cousin was engaged to a Sunni, and i have some cousins that are Sunni. It's not really a big deal for us

But definitely discuss this with your parents and tell the guy to discuss this with his parents to make sure everyone is ok with it

was salam

Edited by lotfilms

slaam

sister for me i think it is really complicated........ suunis n shia r really diffrent from each other.... if you were a shia then it will probably work out... but here your a sunni n on top of that your turkish culture n sect diffrences.... soo just my opinion for the future it's gunnah b complicated for u n your kids... otherwise it'a all up to u n that iraqi guy n his parents... :)