Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Syed Demanding

Facebook Banned In Pakistan

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

A Pakistani court today banned the use of Facebook in Pakistan until May 31. The ban came after Facebook posted a page "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!" to be held Thursday.

Sketches of Prophet Muhammad are considered an act of blasphemy by Muslims and this Facebook page has already incurred criticism from several Muslims. Pakistan's Law Minister Babar Awan said that "this issue will be raised on all international forums."

The fallout has already begun in Pakistan, where in the port city of Karachi protestors have taken to streets protesting the Facebook announcement.

In 2006 after Prophet Muhammad's caricatures were printed in a Danish newspaper thousands of people took to the streets in Pakistan, burning banks, restaurants and gas stations affiliated with Western companies. Several people were killed and many wounded in the violent protests.

17388183_81b872bf1274290860.jpg

Link

Edited by syed_demanding

I am celebrating the court's decision. I have personal reasons for doing so.

Facebook is a nuisance. Every time I want to use the computer, one of my siblings is on it commenting on peoples' statuses and pictures. Duh. So, thank God for the ban.

I can now have peace till the end of May. :angel:

This is good. Pakistan should develop their own social networking sites and become self-sufficient, so they don't have to worry about this nonsense.

Yeah, But We Can't Manage our Pages Via Mobile Web. :(

well it can be accessed through proxies like schoolhammer.com or www.jumboproxy.com...though i guess one can only observe whats happening as chat and commenting is disabled.

This is good. Pakistan should develop their own social networking sites and become self-sufficient, so they don't have to worry about this nonsense.

Does Iran have something similar to facebook and youtube?

Pakistan is right. What is the point of insulting a religion's Prophet? They claim they want to have freedom by provoking Muslims, insulting their prophets, and creating hatred amongst people, and when you ask them what is the gain in all these, the answer is zero, nothing.

I got this message when I tried to open YouTube this morning [see attachment]

I checked the Dawn. It said YouTube was also banned indefinitely for "blasphemous" material.

Somebody tell these cretins that the prophetic caricatures on facebook will be available on other sites nonetheless. They can't go around banning websites like stupid fools.

----------------

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has blocked the popular video sharing website YouTube in a bid to contain “blasphemous” material, officials said on Thursday.

A PTA official, who declined to be identified, said the action was taken after the authority determined that some caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) were transferred from Facebook to YouTube.

Siraj said the blocking of the two websites would cut up to 25 per cent of total Internet traffic in Pakistan. Read full HERE

post-23617-12743494045508_thumb.jpg

Wow what a ban. I could circumvent it in a few minutes by a simple google search. Youtube is working fine for me. I don't know about facebook. -_-

Edited by Marbles

And today youtube got blocked as well. I will miss Fred

Perhaps an internet proxy server would work. There are several kinds of them and some are free. Speaking of banning, most Shia books as well as a lot of great books that upset the mullah are also banned in Pakistan. Next, if somehow they consider giving the same treatment to those sites that deem any of the sahabis as unworthy then SC might get banned too that day. My guess is that it'll require PML(N) government first.

As for Facebook, good riddance. No more invites or links to that place. Never registered there. It's a satanic big bro database website.

Perhaps an internet proxy server would work. There are several kinds of them and some are free. Speaking of banning, most Shia books as well as a lot of great books that upset the mullah are also banned in Pakistan. Next, if somehow they consider giving the same treatment to those sites that deem any of the sahabis as unworthy then SC might get banned too that day. My guess is that it'll require PML(N) government first.

As for Facebook, good riddance. No more invites or links to that place. Never registered there. It's a satanic big bro database website.

Most Shia books are banned in Pakistan? I don't think so. I can go to any Shia book store in any city and buy anything that is printed. Why do you say that most books are banned?

As for some books authored by Shia which are not only sectarian in nature but highly inflammatory to Sunnis, yes, they are banned. For example. See the books of the self-proclaimed "Wakil-e-Ahl-e-Bait" Mualana someone Najafi?? [i don't remember his full name] of Jamia al-Muntazar, Lahore whose books are banned. But you can get them by writing directly to him with a small cheque. I did.

:!!!: Some genius at PTCL has pulled the plug on Google as well, Access Denied - This Site is Restricted.

OMG same thing happened to me :mad:

WTH they thinking... they can't stop every single website from airing all the garbage...

(bismillah)

(salam)

OMG same thing happened to me :mad:

WTH they thinking... they can't stop every single website from airing all the garbage...

I'm glad they're trying.

Pakistani just scored browniepoints with me (only because it is a matter of cartoons of RasoolAllah (pbuh) & they are being surprisingly civilized about it)

Can only hope certain other nations learn. All islamic nations boycotting facebook would be sa-weeeeeeeet. Yallah, Pakistan, make it count on the international forums!!

Pakistan zindabad

(will this mean bad business for Mr. suckerberg/zuckerberg ?)

What a country we have...people are being killed in karachi and everyone is more concerned about protesting and banning websites. Can anyone please ask these guys that what would make the holy Prophet(pbuh) more sad...believers being killed or the cartoons?!

I mean 34 people being killed in one day......?!

Edited by farwa

What a country we have...people are being killed in karachi and everyone is more concerned about protesting and banning websites. Can anyone please ask these guys that what would make the holy Prophet(pbuh) more sad...believers being killed or the cartoons?!

I mean 34 people being killed in one day......?!

It's pretty much the same with people here, protesting for Dr Afia yet the same treating their wives, sisters. etc like [Edited Out]. BTW, it's the MQM vs ANP stuff going on in Karachi???

And today youtube got blocked as well. I will miss Fred sad.gif

Youtube is working, not banned.....

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Everybody+Draw+Mohammed+Day

w00t.gif Some genius at PTCL has pulled the plug on Google as well, Access Denied - This Site is Restricted.

Google is also working, not banned.

I think our Prophet said the sign of a true b******d of illegitimate birth is he will not anger when the Prophet or the Ahle Beyt is insulted. [gratuitous insulting of another member] :!!!: I'd say the dimwits are those not choosing to close their FB/YT accounts are even more unbelievable. They're like "oh FB and YT launch massive hate campaigns against Muslims all the time....so being a Muslim I'll just continue using both." In fact, even if I were not a born&bred Muslim, I'd still look at the actions of these rabid, bloodthirsty wannabe cyber-terrorirsts and think "these low-lifes are way beneath my standards" and close my accounts- which I did looooong b4 this ban. For those of you who are of legitimate birth: I'd advise you to just close your accounts as individuals. Life will go on. The fact that YT and FB doesn't shut these rabid cyber terrorists down even after dozens of ppl report them shows Fb/YT clearly supports the incitement of hatred against Muslims. That doesn't make even a tiny dent in my faith (can't speak for many on SC) but why associate with such "social" networks. "Sociopath" networks is more like it!

I can't believe these dimwits who have their hands on banning levers. :huh:

Edited by Haji 2003
No insults allowed

^ sure lets boyocott everyone/everything and obviously its not islam that teaches us to always remain open for dialog....:dry:.

And what hypocrisy first the govt should remove its begging bowl form all the *kaffirs* and then ban these websites. You eat, use and literally live on products from such companies and countries and then say that blocking fb/yt is the best option.

There are many people who are misguided by few fitna makers, blocking content is not gonna help...the better alternative would be to initiate a dialog on these forums and ask people why they wanna do this.

Try to keep a sane perspective!

^ sure lets boyocott everyone/everything and obviously its not islam that teaches us to always remain open for dialog....:dry:.

And what hypocrisy first the govt should remove its begging bowl form all the *kaffirs* and then ban these websites. You eat, use and literally live on products from such companies and countries and then say that blocking fb/yt is the best option.

There are many people who are misguided by few fitna makers, blocking content is not gonna help...the better alternative would be to initiate a dialog on these forums and ask people why they wanna do this.

Try to keep a sane perspective!

Why is it that only certain countries are allowed to exercise a moral right to protest? Americans don't like Iranian nuclear activity - so they have sanctions and embargoes. People in the West have problems with the Chinese eating cats and dogs, so protest groups are set up in China to try and ban the activity. The West (again) has a problem with the Japanese eating whales, so there are protests about that.

So if parochial agendas and cultural sensitivities can be used to protest against eastern countries - why can't the latter respond when they feel hurt??? Or is one group of people superior to everyone else and only they are allowed to protest???

After all you never get anyone in the West saying, 'oh we mustn't complain about the Chinese eating cats and dogs, because everything we consume is made there'. No they have a principle and they protest about it - as they have the right. Obviously such products are banned in the West. So why can't Pakistan ban something that offends Muslim values?

Bismillah

I can see facebook, a bann might be a good thing to express ones feelings for a time. (I pray they will remove the offensive materiels inshaAllah) but we cannot live without youtube! all the best nohay and qawalli are there, you cannot be shia and not have youtube!

wasalaam

Edited by GhulameSayyeda

Bismillah

I can see facebook, a bann might be a good thing to express ones feelings for a time. (I pray they will remove the offensive materiels inshaAllah) but we cannot live without youtube! all the best nohay and qawalli are there, you cannot be shia and not have youtube!

wasalaam

We have the shia responses of all these websites.. eg: shiatv.net, al-masumeen, shiamultimedia.com

It's time to set examples, we're as educated (if not more) than westeners, we know our way around the internet. If facebook is nothing but keeping in touch with friends & family then why not create a simple 'version'(with clear rules) for the muslims?

If youtube is so popular because of their nohay & qawalli then we already know that most of them are taken from websites I mentioned above. Way to set an example is to walk out first and let others follow. Muslims should walk out of youtube/facebook and promote our own websites instead.. (long shot but it may work)

Personally deactivated facebook 1month ago. :Hijabi:

Why is it that only certain countries are allowed to exercise a moral right to protest? Americans don't like Iranian nuclear activity - so they have sanctions and embargoes. People in the West have problems with the Chinese eating cats and dogs, so protest groups are set up in China to try and ban the activity. The West (again) has a problem with the Japanese eating whales, so there are protests about that.

So if parochial agendas and cultural sensitivities can be used to protest against eastern countries - why can't the latter respond when they feel hurt??? Or is one group of people superior to everyone else and only they are allowed to protest???

After all you never get anyone in the West saying, 'oh we mustn't complain about the Chinese eating cats and dogs, because everything we consume is made there'. No they have a principle and they protest about it - as they have the right. Obviously such products are banned in the West. So why can't Pakistan ban something that offends Muslim values?

Yes, we must raise our voices, show our anger and disappointment, and protest against the grotesque misuse of the freedom of speech. It should be done with civility, composure and in proper manner. The kind of madness that gripped the Muslim world in the wake of cartoons published in Danish newspapers did us more harm than good. Burning and bombing of embassies, killings of uninvolved passers by, and other such extremities are indeed the handiwork of the extremists but it can't be gainsaid that the terminology and the nature of relatively peaceful Muslim protests around the world were no less retarded.

It was exactly this reaction which emboldened some elements in the West to insult the person of the Prophet and Muslim sentiments even more. Muslims played the inevitable part in the universalisation of the cartoon mania. There would be no "Draw Muhammad Day" if we had kept our senses in check and produced a measured, intelligent reaction to the offensive cartoonery.

As for banning websites like Facebook, Youtube and others, this is also symbolic and serves no purpose. First, this is futile. I am in Pakistan and able to access both with a simple google search. Second, it doesn't convey Muslim message to the West. I believe Muslims are perfectly capable of watching those offensive cartoons and producing a measured reaction. We don't need government to do that for us. We don't allow the men in power to decide for us what we can watch and what we can't as if we are kids.

Edited by Marbles

Where did i say that we in Pakistan dont have any right to protest...:unsure:?

I am sure you would realize that there are methods and ways to protest. What good is protesting with cosmetic measures that create more problems than benefits. As marbles mentioned everyone in Pakist is using fb/yt...so whats the purpose of this? All these so called mullahs who are out on the streets or the others chanting against fb...where are they when bombs are being blown up, when women are being abused, when hate lit against minorities is being distributed, when christians and hindus on the basis of blasphemy are killed...just tell me where are they?! Where does the love of Islam go then...are people more important to Allah(swt) and his Messenger(pbuh) or symbols? more than 30 people got killed in khi...where are the protests for that?

Have you even thought about the benefits fb/yt offers to pakistanis. Just this morning this guy who started Pakistan Youth Alliance stated that they had used FB to raise over 75 lac PKR till now, organized massive street protests against tyranny and also reached over 7800 families with immediate relief aid, schooled orphans, worked for juveniles rotting in jails, worked for disabled and needy etc.

Apart from this, its so diff for shias to speak out cuz of the excessive propganda against them...its just due to such sites that many videos and events could me made public. Whereas so many shia channels have been conveniently banned by the pakistani govt....its these sites that give the platform to shias to share information, material, events etc.

What about all these benefits?! doesnt anyone have a lil bit of sense to weigh stuff before taking any action!?

Here read this: Pakistan unfriends Facebook

Edited by farwa