Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
wonderer

Thoughts (2010-2016) [ARCHIVE]

4 hours ago, IbnSina said:

Hmm, how can they acknowledge the events of Karbala and give their condolences but then still celebrate whatever? What happened to their brain?

They say it out of pure courtesy and nothing more. They are confused and don't know what to think lol. So they just say it because they feel its their obligation to do so out of respect for us and nothing more. This is all just an act I believe to show the world that Oman is a peaceful and tolerant country and all faiths are respected. This is of course a lovely thing, but it annoys me sometimes when Shias here acknowledge their acts and dont speak up against it. 

Edited by Pearl178

Guest silasun

@Marbles

If you ever pay a visit to the Queen's backyard, be sure to bring said youngin round to see uncle Sila.

He is soooo friggin cute mashAllah.

7 hours ago, Pearl178 said:

Where does the line end with unity? Every year during this month and on Ashura, Shia's and Sunnis here are all lovey dovey towards each other which is nice. I appreciate the peace we live in and am thankful for it but does that mean we go around saying to them "May God accept your good deeds (fast) on this day". Yes it is true they respect us too by giving their condolences to us but how can we go around acknowledging the fact that they celebrate this day? And wishing them good for it? All for the sake and under the banner of unity. We can simply stay quiet, I'm not saying attack them for celebrating, but there is no need at all to show that we are okay with their ignorance. 

Its true sis, some of the things Shias do for unity are disgusting. 

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum Brother @Marbles

Mash'Allah at your nephew.  Allah swt protect him and give him a long life.  Do you explain or go into details to your nephew of the events of Karbala?

Brother what is that building on the left side about?  Please explain.

How was Ashura this year in Pakistan?  Did you benefit from any of the lectures or is there anything that moved you this year compared to previous years?

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

1 hour ago, Snowflake said:

Thoughts....25 posts! 

Yes, now you are an Advanced member. I saw you entered the Chat Room today.  

On 10/8/2016 at 11:51 PM, silasun said:

Thanks for posting this. This is a very scary reality. Unless we completely dissociate from our worldly inclinations of money and power, we will do the same to the Imam of our time. 

Yes, indeed it's very scary. May Allah give us all basirah and make our aghebat khair.

----------

Unvirtuous Elites (2) | Talhah ibn Ubaidullah

12 hours ago, Pearl178 said:

Where does the line end with unity? Every year during this month and on Ashura, Shia's and Sunnis here are all lovey dovey towards each other which is nice. I appreciate the peace we live in and am thankful for it but does that mean we go around saying to them "May God accept your good deeds (fast) on this day". Yes it is true they respect us too by giving their condolences to us but how can we go around acknowledging the fact that they celebrate this day? And wishing them good for it? All for the sake and under the banner of unity. We can simply stay quiet, I'm not saying attack them for celebrating, but there is no need at all to show that we are okay with their ignorance. 

Are you sure they are celebrating something?

Fasting is not necessarily for celebrating something. I know the tenth of Muharram is a mustahab fasting day for them but I never knew the reasoning. I never thought it was a celebration of something.

3 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

Fasting is not necessarily for celebrating something. I know the tenth of Muharram is a mustahab fasting day for them but I never knew the reasoning. I never thought it was a celebration of something.

Some traditions are found in Sunni books to the effect that the Prophet (s.a.w.) on migrating to Medina found the Jews fasting on the 10th of Muharram. He asked them why, and was told: “It is an auspicious day; it is the day when God delivered the children of Israel from their enemy (i.e. Pharaoh); and, therefore, Moses fasted on that day.”

The Prophet (s.a.w.) said, “I am worthier of Moses than you are.” Thereupon, he fasted on that day and ordered (the Muslims) to fast.

https://www.al-islam.org/al-serat/vol-8-no-3-4/fast-ashura-sayyid-saeed-akhtar-rizvi/fast-ashura

Saddly, the sunnis are not taught about the tragedy of Imam Hussain (as) I asked my sunni friends back in the day about this and they said they never heard about the tragedy, they are just taught to fast on ashura for the reason above. Some of my Somalian friends back in the day never even heard about the Imams!! It's devastating to see how far they went to try to erase the legacy of Ahlulbeyt  (as)

3 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

According to folk wisdom the nawasibs and the khawarij used to fast on the 10th of Muharram to thank Allah for the victory in Karbala against the heretical Hussain and his family (naudhbilla). So it works like a thanksgiving fast for them. But the Sunnis today aren't aware of the origin of ashura fast and give other reasons.

But there is a small group of Yazidis in Karachi. (Yazidis as in not like those in Iraq who are under IS attack but real, proper modern-day Nasibis who are popularly called Yazidis). They take out a small procession every ashura where they sing and dance and distribute sweetmeats and beat drums and other musical instruments to literally celebrate their Ameer Yazid's victory.

5 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

I believe they do celebrate it, because the reason they fast is according to them this is a joyful day because Allah (s.w.t) saved Moses (as) and his followers from Pharoh. The Prophet (saww) supposedly first saw the Jews observing the fast on this day to which he, the Prophet said "I am closer to Moses than the Jews " and ordered muslims to fast on this day (which does not make sense because like since when does the Prophet follow the Jews?).  Also, Ibadi Muslims here also say that these days are "mubarak" days. 

These are all stories made up by Bani Ummayah, to distract Muslims from the events of Muharram and what really happened. 

Edited by Pearl178

10 hours ago, Laayla said:

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum Brother @Marbles

Mash'Allah at your nephew.  Allah swt protect him and give him a long life.  Do you explain or go into details to your nephew of the events of Karbala?

Brother what is that building on the left side about?  Please explain.

How was Ashura this year in Pakistan?  Did you benefit from any of the lectures or is there anything that moved you this year compared to previous years?

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

He's a keen little azadar. While other kids his age get a little scared from the matam and the commotion in the juloos, he stands his ground and joins his elders without a trace of discomfort. His grandparents and parents teach him as much as is possible to teach a three year old. Alhamdulillah.

It's a cement grill built inside the wall on the left. Women sit in the other hall behind it during the majlis. It's a 150 years old building and this screen is over fifty years old before mics and speakers and TV screens became common.

Ashura has been very peaceful this year in Pakistan. The security was as usual tight, the roads through which the procession passed were sealed, and no one was allowed near the juloos without proper body searches etc but the general improvement in the security situation after the successful 2-year-long military operation against the Takfiri and terrorist forces. Inshallah they will be defeated and not a trace of them would be left in the country.

Thanks for the duas and best wishes Layla. I hope you and yours are safe and well and that everything went well this Muharram.

Ziarat Ashura Verses by imam Baqir a.s

اَللّهُمَّ اِنَّ هذا يَوْمٌ تَبرَّکَتْ بِهِ بَنُو اُمَيَّةَ وَ ابْنُ آکِلَةِ الَْآکبادِ اللَّعينُ ابْنُ اللَّعينِ عَلى لِسانِكَ وَ لِسانِ نَبِيِّكَ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَ آلِهِ

O my Allah this day is a day of rejoicing for the "Bani Umayyah", the herd of hardened criminals, the eternally damned and accursed group, a fact that had been made public by You and by Your Prophet (blessings of Allah be on him and on his children), who, in every place and at all occasions, drew attention of people to this truism.

وَ هذا يَوْمٌ فَرِحَتْ بِهِ آلُ زِيادٍ وَ آلُ مَرْوانَ بِقَتْلِهِمُ الْحُسَيْنَ صَلَواتُ اللَّهِ عَلَيْهِ

Today the descendants of Ziyaad and Marwan make merry, laugh and dance because on this day they killed Husayn (blessings of Allah be on him).

1 hour ago, HumanForLife said:

Didn't understand anything but thought it would be nice to share it

Good one. The question also appears in English on the screen. It asked the battle in which Hussain ibn Ali was killed was fought where 1) Quds 2) Medina 3) Cairo 4) Karbala. The girl answers correctly.

Edited by Marbles

Ya Hussain on the moon on the night of 10th Muharram (October 12, 2016)

Watch the video here 

Khuda Ki Qudrat YA Hussain Wrote on Moon Moojiza He has made night and day subservient to you, and the sun and moon and stars, all subject to His command. There are certainly Signs in that for people who use their intellect. (Surat an-Nahl: 12) It is He Who made the sun to be a shining glory and the moon …

Edited by skamran110

Guest silasun

سلام علی ال يس

Peace be on the family of Yaseen.

I grew up listening to Arabic poetry in different styles and genres. I think I am fully converted to English now. If only Wordsworth had gems to share about the AhlulBayt!

This is one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever heard:

I just got a text message asking me to wear a Gary Johnson T-shirt and walk around a seafood festival this weekend. I don't really do public politics, but if they have free food....

34 minutes ago, Pearl178 said:

Thoughts: how unfair it is that despite there being million brilliant and deserving literary talents out there yet Dylon gets the Nobel. 

Who would you have picked? And why? 

I think this is the first time a song writer has been honored as a poet. I'm not an expert on his work and I really don't read much poetry anyway, and most literature that I read is either classic or teen fiction. I hadn't thought about who else might be chosen. 

6 minutes ago, notme said:

Who would you have picked? And why? 

I think this is the first time a song writer has been honored as a poet. I'm not an expert on his work and I really don't read much poetry anyway, and most literature that I read is either classic or teen fiction. I hadn't thought about who else might be chosen. 

Philip Roth, Haruki Murakami, even JK Rowling for getting kids reading again. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie will never win a Grammy for her writing no matter how brilliant she is and I feel as though the reverse should apply here. 

7 minutes ago, Pearl178 said:

Philip Roth, Haruki Murakami, even JK Rowling for getting kids reading again. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie will never win a Grammy for her writing no matter how brilliant she is and I feel as though the reverse should apply here. 

I've never read anything by Philip Roth nor Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.  

On 10/8/2016 at 0:03 PM, kamyar said:

Unvirtuous Elites |  Zubair ibn Awam

Obviously I am not as learned or knowledgeable as Sayed Imam Khamene'i, but I do believe that we Muslims can differ with their scholars in certain areas.

Zubayr ibn al-Awwam, may Allah give him what he deserves, was absolutely sinning when leading an army against Amir al-Mu'mineen, but he also showed his repentance by leaving the battlefield when the Imam reminded him of the Prophet's words. Al-Zubayr just didn't have the sidq/baseerah to fight on the Imam's side like Hurr b. Yazid did in Karbala. Leaving the battlefield altogether, and being killed on his way dissociating from the fitnah he created, should not make him deserving of la'nah like most Shi'a do.

Zubayr ibn al-Awwam showed that he was different from certain caliphs of Islam, who wronged the Ahlul Bayt and did not regret their actions in any way. 

It is also important to note that in the battle of Uhud, Talha b. 'UbaydAllah and Zubayr b. al-Awwam were both present fighting alongside Imam 'Ali while the rest of the companions had fled. Al-Zubayr also received praise from the Prophet on several occasions.

My point is that it is wrong for Shi'a to perform tabarra on so many Muslims who were neutral towards Imam Ali vs. the usurpers. Most Shi'a do tabarra on them just to show their staunch support for 'Ali, even though it is unfair.

Edited by Jaabir

Want to listen to some hypnotising Urdu noha that will take you away from this world?

Well here is two

1) This one is in Mach Balochistan which is in Sunni Majority Area.

2) Watch this one from 17:30 It's urdu mixed with Farsi and this one took place in Sydney.

Edited by SlaveOfAllah14

11 hours ago, Pearl178 said:

Thoughts: how unfair it is that despite there being million brilliant and deserving literary talents out there yet Dylon gets the Nobel. 

Other than Winston Churchill, before Bob D., l never heard of any of these Literature winners.

The Literature Committee has been criticized in the past for awarding prizes not for accomplishment but for cultural affirmation.

22 hours ago, skamran110 said:

Ya Hussain on the moon on the night of 10th Muharram (October 12, 2016)

Watch the video here 

Khuda Ki Qudrat YA Hussain Wrote on Moon Moojiza He has made night and day subservient to you, and the sun and moon and stars, all subject to His command. There are certainly Signs in that for people who use their intellect. (Surat an-Nahl: 12) It is He Who made the sun to be a shining glory and the moon …

Do you guys really believe in such things? 

17 hours ago, Pearl178 said:

I swear I didn't see that coming. Even though Bob Dylan had been on the betting lists for a few years, I always assumed it a part of the American desire to elevate their artists than a possibility that the committee might consider. I was mistaken. But I'm not mistaken in saying that the decision to award it to Dylan is totally retarded and opens a can of worms. 

It seems that the Nobel committee is attempting to bring creative non-literature into the ambit of the award. Last year it was Svetlana Alexievich's essentially political writings which had nothing to do with literature. This year it's popular song lyrics some of which may pass for half-decent poetry. Next year we might see a comic book writer with the prize. So who are the best comics writers of our times?

I think it's presumptuous, to say the least, of the Nobel committee to take it upon themselves to redefine literature in this way. I think it's part of a desire to be the story themselves instead of honouring others. I think it's verging on narcissistic. Some jobs, your role is to stay behind the scenes and let someone or something else look good. Your job is to do your job invisibly. The last couple years, the Nobel committee doesn't seem to see what they do as service. 

These were the leading contenders for this year's award and includes many majestic names.

Haruki Murakami
Adonis (Syrian poet)
Philip Roth
Ngugi Wa Thiong'o
Ismail Kadare
Javier Marias
Joyce Carol Oates
Jon Fosse
Laszlo Krasznahorkai 
Amos OZ
Ko Un
John Banville 

I have read and loved Adonis (my top choice for this year), Ismail Kadare (my second choice), Laszlo Krasznahorkai (my third choice), Ko Un, Banville and Murakami, whom I like the least. But Murakami still would have been a better winner than the songwriting rhymester called Bob Dylan.

PS: The award to Churchill was another joke the committee had played on literary art.

Edited by Marbles
typos

5 hours ago, SlaveOfAllah14 said:

Do you guys really believe in such things? 

We believe in the verses of quran.

He has made night and day subservient to you, and the sun and moon and stars, all subject to His command. There are certainly Signs in that for people who use their intellect. (Surat an-Nahl: 12)