Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
wonderer

Thoughts (2010-2016) [ARCHIVE]

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Got a question for all of those who read books; how long does it take you to read a 600 page book? disregarding the genre.

It all depends on the genre really. I could finish a 600 page book in a day if it's contemporary fiction. Books on islam, psychology or medicine would take weeks.

5 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Got a question for all of those who read books; how long does it take you to read a 600 page book? disregarding the genre.

Density of writing, subject matter, prior familiarity with related knowledge as well as your interest and inclination on the day will determine your speed. I have spent three months reading a 700 page book recently. But if I am fully charged and receptive I can finish a 1000 page book in a week, averaging 150 odd pages a day, 2/3 hours of reading a day.

Edited by Marbles

5 hours ago, The Batman said:

In tournament football suprises are bound to happen. This Wales team (except for Bale) has no world class players, and only a few other good players (Ramsey, Robson, and Williams, among others). However they exceeded expectations and they should return home proud. Their greatest victory was the 3-1 over Belgium, a vastly superior team on paper.

I really do hope Portugal win the Euros now.

You can tell how bad the Euros have been this time (in terms of the performances of the "good" teams) by the fact that one of Wales or Portugal were going to end up in the final- teams like England, Italy, Spain, and even Austria, have been either big disappointments or extremely unlucky. And on the other side of the coin, Portugal was in the semi-final literally without actually winning a game, and performing very poorly along the way (by some stroke of misfortune almost every game I've watched has been a Portugal one- and I missed the only half interesting one, vs Hungary).

I wouldn't mind any of the three teams left winning, Portugal because their underdogs/so Ronaldo can win something and upstage Messi for once.

The biggest surprise was definitely Iceland beating England, and even more surprisingly, their ability to consistently pose a threat. Asian countries like China, with their population in billions (Icelands' is like 300,000), would never be able to do that.

By the way, did you see this?
'Iceland inflict crushing 1-1 defeat on Portugal'

Edited by Shaykh Patience101

9 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

I read about 50-60 pages per hour, depending on the complexity of the material, but sometimes it's hard to find the hours. I used to finish 600 pages in a day or two, but now it would take me weeks or even months.

9 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

That depends: are you interested in watching the entire country of Somalia starve to death?

Why the silly questions? is anyone suggesting that people who rely on goats for nourishment shouldnt be eating them?

6 hours ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

You can tell how bad the Euros have been this time (in terms of the performances of the "good" teams) by the fact that one of Wales or Portugal were going to end up in the final- teams like England, Italy, Spain, and even Austria, have been either big disappointments or extremely unlucky. And on the other side of the coin, Portugal was in the semi-final literally without actually winning a game, and performing very poorly along the way (by some stroke of misfortune almost every game I've watched has been a Portugal one- and I missed the only half interesting one, vs Hungary).

I wouldn't mind any of the three teams left winning, Portugal because their underdogs/so Ronaldo can win something and upstage Messi for once.

The biggest surprise was definitely Iceland beating England, and even more surprisingly, their ability to consistently pose a threat. Asian countries like China, with their population in billions (Icelands' is like 300,000), would never be able to do that.

You must realise that in the first two games of the Euros for Portugal, they played extremely well. They outplayed Iceland, and were misfortunate against Austria, and it was Ronaldo of all people that was struggling, and he was the reason to why they drew their first two games. 

12 hours ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

England are absolutely rubbish.  They are 'disappointing' in every single tournament they play in.They are so rubbish!!

I wanted Germany to win :( 

12 hours ago, The Batman said:

You must realise that in the first two games of the Euros for Portugal, they played extremely well. They outplayed Iceland, and were misfortunate against Austria, and it was Ronaldo of all people that was struggling, and he was the reason to why they drew their first two games. 

Both games were horrible, and Portugal played below the level you'd expect them too at this stage. Prolonged periods of possession with very little chances to show for them. Ronaldo was wasteful, but so was Nani, and there was virtually no imagination in the playmakers in the midfield.

6 hours ago, lalala123 said:

England are absolutely rubbish.  They are 'disappointing' in every single tournament they play in.They are so rubbish!!

I wanted Germany to win :( 

Germany were by far the better team. I, for one, didn't expect them to dominate like they did. They were unlucky on the penalty and there were 2-3 mistakes inside the box that lead to the second goal, or else France would've never scored.

Thanks for those who replied to my question. I am currently using google translate to help me read a Russian art book. It's taking me double the time to read one page but I'm investing a lot of hours on it. Maybe today I'll be able to go through 100 more pages.

1 hour ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Thanks for those who replied to my question. I am currently using google translate to help me read a Russian art book. It's taking me double the time to read one page but I'm investing a lot of hours on it. Maybe today I'll be able to go through 100 more pages.

That's not reading...that's torture.

59 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

If I had to read a 600 page e-book online, I would probably never finish it. The ease just isn't there.

10 minutes ago, mina said:

That's not reading...that's torture.

10 minutes ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

If I had to read a 600 page e-book online, I would probably never finish it. The ease just isn't there.

It's actually very enjoyable. The information gets stuck in your head because of how much you have to fix google's grammar and vocab.

I have to make a phone call to order some carpet.  Ugh.

How does one overcome social phobia?  

I can't hear people right if I can't see them.  My ears work fine, but my brain doesn't.  I always feel like I'm less intelligent over the phone.  Why don't they have online ordering?  

Edit:  oh, poor me and my first world problems!  

Edited by notme
Self deprecating comment added.

1 hour ago, notme said:

I have to make a phone call to order some carpet.  Ugh.

How does one overcome social phobia?  

I can't hear people right if I can't see them.  My ears work fine, but my brain doesn't.  I always feel like I'm less intelligent over the phone.  Why don't they have online ordering?  

This is quite normal. But some people feel it more strongly than others. Telephones are unnatural, they defy the natural human process of communicating we've evolved perfecting through the eons. On telephone, we are made to speak to a person who is not present but sitting somewhere in the world. We can't see their faces, their eyes, their body language, their expressions etc, which causes the confusion in our brain and hinders our ability to form the right sequence of sentences. It also affects our natural eloquence, because whilst pauses in actual conversation with a person in front of you is totally normal, it becomes suddenly awkward on the phone, putting us in stress and stretching even more our ability to communicate, thereby inducing more mistakes and therefore more awkwardness. The stranger the person the difficult it is to communicate with her on the phone.

Personally I dislike telephones and wish I never had to make a call.

As a cop, suppose we are all cops and we deal in hostage rescue all the time, how would you evolve to diffuse a hostage situation:

A) Hostages must not be hurt. I don't mind being shot at.

B) Lol @ hostage "shield". Collateral is usually there in all fights. 

C) Other: Specify.

You know what I would do.

How weird it is to log into SC, looking for a three that you read before you go to bed and even replied to it, only to reluctantly realise that the thread did not exist except in your dream

DREAMING OF ARGUING WITH FICTIONAL THREAD AND POSTS AND YOURSELF IN YOUR HEAD WHILE SLEEPING

-.- darn it

31 minutes ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

How weird it is to log into SC, looking for a three that you read before you go to bed and even replied to it, only to reluctantly realise that the thread did not exist except in your dream

DREAMING OF ARGUING WITH FICTIONAL THREAD AND POSTS AND YOURSELF IN YOUR HEAD WHILE SLEEPING

-.- darn it

L once dreamed my alarm clock went off. Got up, showered, dressed, looked at the clock at is was after 0200.

@Marbles thanks. That makes me feel a lot better, normal even. 

I would wear this shirt if it were long sleeved:

big.jpg

I'd prefer a different color though. Grey isn't my color. I'd prefer green or purple or pink. But I'm totally down with the concept. 

11826055_900819319956987_251023469829787

Confederate Rally in Stone Mountain.

if it were a black person....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/sep/16/iraq.iraqtimeline

Greenspan, 81, who served as chairman of the US Federal  Reserve accepts Iraq war was largely about oil.

1 million Iraqi lives later.

Edited by AnaAmmar1

4 hours ago, AnaAmmar1 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/sep/16/iraq.iraqtimeline

Greenspan, 81, who served as chairman of the US Federal  Reserve accepts Iraq war was largely about oil.

1 million Iraqi lives later. -and oil prices collapsed. Typical economic competence.

2 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

I am still having the worst trouble with Al Islam.org., I have no idea what's wrong with the site. 

What trouble you are facing brother.

When I browse through my phone (on pc it just works fine) on chrome browser I get Invalid certificate error or sometimes connection not secure. I click on Advance (at the bottom) and the 'Proceed to al-Islam.org anyway (unsafe)' and site opens. 

Hope that helps.