Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
wonderer

Thoughts (2010-2016) [ARCHIVE]

Rate this topic

So the "Iranian Hulk" is about to be released on ISIS....here's to the hope that someone'll kindly arrange a wrestling match for him with our dear caliph Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

https://www.rt.com/viral/349476-iranian-hulk-fight-isis/
https://www.instagram.com/sajadgharibii/

55 minutes ago, GreyMatter said:

My boy Trudeau wishing Eid:

Respect man, initiatives like these are awesome, guy even kept a fast on the 1st of Ramadan :) 

I think even Barack Obama sends out a Happy Eid message every year. 

On 7/3/2016 at 7:32 PM, LeftCoastMom said:

Reading about the timing of Eid is one of the most confusing things I've ever read on here. 

Best thing to do is get out binoculars and sky charts and sight it for yourself, if possible. If that's not possible, just do your best and don't worry about it. 

It used to frustrate me, but I got over it.

1 hour ago, notme said:

Best thing to do is get out binoculars and sky charts and sight it for yourself, if possible. If that's not possible, just do your best and don't worry about it. 

If you follow Sayyed al-Sistani, you shouldn't use binoculars. If you follow Sayyed al-Khamenei, it should be fine I think.

1 hour ago, notme said:

Sorry, but this entire experience has been a bit like a " snow day" when I was a grade-schooler. Waiting by the radio to see which counties were closing schools in the morning....:)

47 minutes ago, The Batman said:

If you follow Sayyed al-Sistani, you shouldn't use binoculars. If you follow Sayyed al-Khamenei, it should be fine I think.

I thought it was acceptable to use binoculars to locate, but the moon must be visible to naked eye per Sayyid Sistani? Perhaps I am mistaken. 

Obviously always follow what your marja says. Don't ever take my word for it on matters of jurisprudence! I'm no scholar - I'm not even very knowledgeable.

9 minutes ago, notme said:

I thought it was acceptable to use binoculars to locate, but the moon must be visible to naked eye per Sayyid Sistani? Perhaps I am mistaken. 

Obviously always follow what your marja says. Don't ever take my word for it on matters of jurisprudence! I'm no scholar - I'm not even very knowledgeable.

That's Sayyid Khamani'e verdict. Sayyid sistani request the visibility to the naked eye as condition of legal moon sighting

1 hour ago, LeftCoastMom said:

Sorry, but this entire experience has been a bit like a " snow day" when I was a grade-schooler. Waiting by the radio to see which counties were closing schools in the morning....:)

So the joy of getting out of school 'cause the buses weren't running/it was below 40 degrees celcius (sometimes)/there were too many feet of snow isn't limited to rural Canada?

3 hours ago, notme said:

For future reference, how long is the new moon visible for typically?

And which way do you look? :D

1 hour ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

For future reference, how long is the new moon visible for typically?

And which way do you look? :D

Toward sunset and not long.

For specifics, I look it up. 

haven't "googled" it but i think we've been made to believe that we need dish detergents in our lives. been doing them with only water, but a lot more rubbing and scrubbing and they look just as squeaky and sparkling clean like they do with the soap. 

Edited by Purged

28 minutes ago, Purged said:

haven't "googled" it but i think we've been made to believe that we need dish detergents in our lives. been doing them with only water, but a lot more rubbing and scrubbing and they look just as squeaky and sparkling clean like they do with the soap. 

A bit of vinegar will cut grease, baking soda will clean stuck on food, but detergent is easier and smells nicer. 

(I've been too broke to afford detergents before. Laundry, however, you can't go entirely without it, though you can use a lot less than the directions say. Baking soda and/or vinegar will clean nearly everything and can be bought with food stamps.)

yes but that's when you leave the dishes in the sink for too long no? i mean i wash them the moment we're done eating. just like shoveling. do er when it's actually snowing or just done snowing. much easier. 

i think these detergents are mere placebos and if it wasn't for the fragrances they add to them, positive nobody would be using them. 

9 minutes ago, Purged said:

i think these detergents are mere placebos and if it wasn't for the fragrances they add to them, positive nobody would be using them. 

Nah, the surfactants really do make it easier to clean cooked on food and grease, but you're right that if you wash them right away you don't need detergent. It makes the job easier, but it isn't absolutely necessary. Hot water and a scrub will do.

I'm assuming you don't eat many casseroles. If you did, you'd appreciate my baking soda tip. 

@Purged @notme Ive tried washing without detergent, but i ended up with grease smears on some things (particularly on glass). I only use it on greasy pans or plates though and wash the cloth/brush i use in hot soapy water to keep them clean.

10 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Got a question for all of those who read books; how long does it take you to read a 600 page book? disregarding the genre.

Depends on how fast and for how long you read.

I can usually finish a book like that in 1-2 weeks, reading for about 2 hours a day. 

2 hours ago, lalala123 said:

I wish Wales had won :( 

Not enough overall team talent- definitely weaker than Portugal.

Didn't they bring on a League 1 player as a sub?

1 hour ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

Not enough overall team talent- definitely weaker than Portugal.

Didn't they bring on a League 1 player as a sub?

In tournament football suprises are bound to happen. This Wales team (except for Bale) has no world class players, and only a few other good players (Ramsey, Robson, and Williams, among others). However they exceeded expectations and they should return home proud. Their greatest victory was the 3-1 over Belgium, a vastly superior team on paper.

I really do hope Portugal win the Euros now.

@notme no you're right about the vinegar and soda part when it comes to cleaning dishes where food is cooked in,  and those! :) i let my wife take care of. i usually tend to the plates cups etc 

@Ruq - good point. wash them drinking glasses first. leave the oily stuff till the end.