Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Thoughts (2010-2016) [ARCHIVE]

• Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, Sumayyeh said:

thanks for the tips. To be honest I've gone on emirates before as well...and even the economy class gets to us their own lounge..."marhaba" lounge...but I was just so disgusted by alcohol being served at the same time they have the azan playing all over the airport and prayer stations...

do you guys go for the Zabihian menu or vegetarian menu on non Muslim flights? 

I usually take "Muslim meal" or actually they spell it "MOSLEM MEAL" most of the times.

• Replies 31.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please recite fatiha for my grandfather, he left us today!

My Grandpa passed away a few hours ago. I humbly ask you to recite a fateha for him and pray for my mother. May Allah bless the souls of your beloved who passed away and give you all a healthy,long li

Thoughts:   14th November 2015. Happy birthday dad! If you were still here you'd have turned 62 today, about the age people take retirement.   These 23 years have passed real quick.

Posted Images

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, IbnSina said:

MarshaAllah, stay strong! What do you mean full hijab though? Abaya?

I've had the most unluckiest flight day of my life so far today :/

First my flight to frankfurt got delayed 1,5 hours so I missed my interconnecting flight to Kuwait and then they re booked me to a turkish airlines flight to instanbul and then to kuwait but I missed that one too because I had 10 minuts to run to the other side of frankfurt airport.

So they re booked me to another turkish airlines flight to istanbul and then to kuwait, and then that flight also got delayed so I missed my kuwait flight in istanbul and now im sitting in starbucks here in istanbul waiting 5 hours for my next flight to kuwait... a flight that normally should take about 6 hours in total now will take almost 20 hours... oh and also I got downgraded in flight class to normal economy because turkish airlines suck, Alhamdulillah!

At least you are in Istanbul, nice city.

Na. I was advised against abaya due to security issues that might ensue. Also was advised against anything as loos as abaya due to same reason. So i had to figure out something. Long vest 2 sizes larger than my size XD and one size extra loose long shirt and loose pant plus a scarf that is wide enough to coved head , shoulders and chest! In mirror i looked like a hipster but meh i walked around while feeling comfortable.

And i had to disguise the darkness of abaya so i wore white with some flowers but so flashy stuff. Worked well. Got my mother approval Xd so it must be well done XD lol

• Moderators

23 minutes ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

I was advised against abaya due to security issues that might ensue. Also was advised against anything as loos as abaya due to same reason. So i had to figure out something. Long vest 2 sizes larger than my size XD and one size extra loose long shirt and loose pant plus a scarf that is wide enough to coved head , shoulders and chest! In mirror i looked like a hipster but meh i walked around while feeling comfortable.

And i had to disguise the darkness of abaya so i wore white with some flowers but so flashy stuff. Worked well. Got my mother approval Xd so it must be well done XD lol

I don't understand it completely, but non-Muslims do seem much more comfortable with "Western" style hijab. Loose trousers and long shirt with scarf will barely get a second glance even in the most remote, hillbilly populated southern US town. Abaya/jilbab gets stares, "go home" comments, and the occasional nun remark. It's better to draw less attention to yourself while still meeting the requirements of hijab.

Edited by notme
  • Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Haji 2003 said:

Use google flights to search for a ticket combination that allows you to go from your home city to Tehran and from Mashhad back to your home city.

This avoids you having to go back to Tehran (and attendant traffic) and allows you to take your international flight direct from Mashhad.

The last time I did this was with Gulf and the connection was at Bahrain.

I did that with Qatar. Worked out very well. And since Qatar flights at the time were getting delayed almost daily, on our last leg from Doha to Lahore got delayed so we got free one night stay at a nice hotel in Doha and spent the evening sampling baklava and other unpronounceable Arab delicacies round the creek.

• Veteran Member
6 minutes ago, zainabamy said:

Today I was really enjoying this book until I turned the page and say Muawiyah's name next to (ra). And to make matters worse (ra) was put next to Abu Sufyan and Hind. :threatenlumber:

Calamitous...disastrous. :cry:

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, notme said:

I don't understand it completely, but non-Muslims do seem much more comfortable with "Western" style hijab. Loose trousers and long shirt with scarf will barely get a second glance even in the most remote, hillbilly populated southern US town. Abaya/jilbab gets stares, "go home" comments, and the occasional nun remark. It's better to draw less attention to yourself while still meeting the requirements of hijab.

well hijab comes in different styles within one community of between the many muslim nations. This is ruler turkish hijab

turkish-woman-from-rural-village-in-sout

pretty much the "western hijab" but using rule turkish materials. long vest, long shirt and long loos trousers. these women work in farms and has to climb mountains sometimes so they need practical clothes while maintaining modesty.

Islam encourage us to take good and easy stuff from our local community and reenforce it. And as you said, the point is not to attract attention. Negative attention to muslims and islam should be avoided at all costs.

lol and a white old retired army man thought i was american XD so disguise worked wellXD you gotta see the horror in his eyes when i told him i m a tourist and lol where i am from !

• Moderators

@Chaotic Muslem

You should all start wearing Pakistani clothes

http://www.khaadionline.com/pk/e16204-b-light-blue.html#

:love::love:

Edited by starlight
Bad English...
  • Moderators

Something got in my eye yesterday and even though I did not rub or try anything else silly, still by the time I reached the doctor I had a corneal abrasion. The pain is severe and unrelenting, becomes even worse when I lie down or close my eyes.

Spent the whole night reclining against the cushions trying not to close my eyes... :braveheart:

Alhumdollilah because things could have been much worse, in so many ways 

Edited by starlight
  • Forum Administrators
2 hours ago, starlight said:

Something got in my eye yesterday and even though I did not rub or try anything else silly, still by the time I reached the doctor I had a corneal abrasion. The pain is severe and unrelenting, becomes even worse when I lie down or close my eyes.

:sorry:

• Forum Administrators
8 hours ago, Marbles said:

on our last leg from Doha to Lahore got delayed so we got free one night stay at a nice hotel in Doha

Just imagine if you had been flying PIA. You'd have got a shrug and a stale samosa.

Obviously I made up the bit about the stale samosa.

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Haji 2003 said:

Just imagine if you had been flying PIA. You'd have got a shrug and a stale samosa.

Obviously I made up the bit about the stale samosa.

I stopped flying PIA when their Fokker fell from the sky only 5 KM away from my home. It was in 2005 I think. I go for private airlines in the unlikely occasion I fly domestic.

The last time we had a delay in flights we got carted over to a hotel overnight, "a nice one for your family, sir," we got a sumptuous meal of chicken karahi and reshmi kebabs and fried daal but true to the maxim that there's no free meal, I had to pay PKR 500 (1/3 of the price of the meal if taken outside) for the "special care" given us by the head waiter, who was expecting a tip. In the room, however, it was a different story. We got 4 hours of dead night to pass before getting back to the airport. I switched off the lights and lay down on the springy bed, only to jump out a minute later when something buzzed right next to my ear. Switched on the lights. A fat cockroach moving its antennae. I spent the time sitting upright in the chair reading a book, which was interrupted by loud slaps of chappal whenever I spotted a roach to kill. I counted; I killed 11 roaches that night. I have yet to break my own record.

To think PIA was officially the best Asian airline which fathered Emirates and Singapore, leased its planes to aspiring airlines and trained their crew,  seems almost like a fairytale. And to think it was run and owned entirely by the Pakistanis not by white Europeans who run Arab airlines.

I see PIA as a symbol of post-colonial Muslim Ummah. Great promise gone horribly wrong.

• Forum Administrators
11 minutes ago, Marbles said:

I see PIA as a symbol of post-colonial Muslim Ummah. Great promise gone horribly wrong.

Not sure of the vlaidity of the reference to Muslim ummah. This is one problem Pakistanis have created without any help from religion.

It's been a case of people putting personal, family, tribal and ethnic interests ahead of everyone else's. 

• Veteran Member
21 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Not sure of the vlaidity of the reference to Muslim ummah. This is one problem Pakistanis have created without any help from religion.

It's been a case of people putting personal, family, tribal and ethnic interests ahead of everyone else's. 

The reference is to the crisis of character and values, the string of failures killing progress and improvement, this mindset of carelessness and callousness etc. It's as though we're suffering a paralysis of the mind. I'm inclined to call it a crisis of civilisation; and it can be observed all over the Muslim world. It's indeed unrelated to religion.

While the world has given us some fine examples of post-colonial success, the Ummah, despite having a bevy of sovereign countries all over the world, has very little to boast.

• Veteran Member
6 hours ago, starlight said:

@Chaotic Muslem

You should all start wearing Pakistani clothes

http://www.khaadionline.com/pk/e16204-b-light-blue.html#

:love::love:

Oh there were 3 Desis, all Hijabis. 2 Americans with western hijab style and one Pkistani with Pakistani proper hijab with covered hair , wrists, neck and ankles. She even won the competition MashaAllah. I am not sure why you always shed a negative light on your people but so far i saw all good from them. Even been to one of their mosques. It was clean and organised. The imam has a nice arabic during recitation of prayer and they were overall very friendly. 

Anyways, we were pakistani fashion during weddings XD the one with glitters and stuff. I do not like the Hijab  due to the materials used. It is either the crepe? material that dose not allow the body to breath or the cotton the cling to your body so it dose not look very formal and outwear like. Plus i prefer modern style XD

Jeans jacket, khaki trousers and long blue shirt is good enough

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

Oh there were 3 Desis, all Hijabis. 2 Americans with western hijab style and one Pkistani with Pakistani proper hijab with covered hair , wrists, neck and ankles. She even won the competition MashaAllah. I am not sure why you always shed a negative light on your people but ........

WHO DID THAT??:threatenlumber:

[Edit] If I had to choose I would prefer an simple elegant Pakistani outfit over the hipster hijabi look,but it's just a matter of personal preference. :)

Edited by starlight
  • Advanced Member
7 minutes ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

I probably won't be able to sleep until 2 or 3 tonight (like every night), even though exams are coming soon. :coffee:

Are you an early bird or night owl?

I've got an exam tomorrow. Revised so hard for it and now I've got a cold. Feel like my head's being bashed in with a hammer :furious:

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Vestige said:

I've got an exam tomorrow. Revised so hard for it and now I've got a cold. Feel like my head's being bashed in with a hammer :furious:

At least you'll have a good night's sleep.

Nothing like giving an exam on 5 hours of rest. :cry: 

• Veteran Member

Mother's Day -USA

Why?

The rest of the year Mother's cook, clean, chase, run errands, call the repairman, keep-up on the neighborhood, keep up on the schools,  do laundry, ...

Why?

Because that is what Mommies are for.!

One day off  per annum  is usually well deserved.

Thanks Mom. Now l can go back to sleep.

And don't forget my socks need darning.

• Advanced Member
12 hours ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

Back in school in Pakistan, my Islamiyat textbook had a passage which discussed Muawiyah poisoning Hasan, with (ra) beside both of their names. Of course the teacher rejected it as a "gray area in history" (her favorite expression) and refused to discuss it. 

Lol, savage!

Back in high school (I went to a Sunni high school), they would say (ra) after everyones name - even people that are inconsequential to history would be referred to *Hazrat inconsequential persons name (ra)*. Imam Ali (as) was of course only ever referred to as Ali, like he was just the neighbours cousins friends nephews nannys' brother. 

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

Are you an early bird or night owl?

Why not both? Lol, can't sleep early but need to be up early. So I'm pretty much just a zombie. Also, exams suck, I have one on tuesday :( 

• Veteran Member
13 hours ago, starlight said:

hipster hijabi

1 hour ago, magma said:

I'm like, "Yeah, I know, you're stating the obvious."

2 hours ago, yafatimaalzahra said:

I'm pretty much just a zombie

freakedout2.gif

• Moderators
2 hours ago, magma said:

People all over keep saying how much they love me, how I'm such a nice guy. I'm like, "Yeah, I know, you're stating the obvious."

I take good care of you all don't I? Am I right? High five! 

HnBR3CR.jpg

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, magma said:

People all over keep saying how much they love me, how I'm such a nice guy. I'm like, "Yeah, I know, you're stating the obvious."

I take good care of you all don't I? Am I right? High five! 

Oh yeah? What if those people are just doing taarof?