Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Thoughts (2010-2016) [ARCHIVE]

• Moderators

My four-year-old daughter didn't believe the song "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" was real. She thought it was a parody, like "Jingle Bells Batman Smells". I showed her a YouTube video of it without the creepy voice that we like to sing it in at home. She was stunned. She had no idea Christmas was meant to be so terrifying.

• Forum Administrators
4 hours ago, laithAlIRAQI said:

Can an admin/mod please unregister my account.

Thanks.

Salam, laith. Received your request to unregister. Let us know when you want to return. Be well.

• Advanced Member

I just saw the names and would like to say  thanks to all here who helped me say goodbye to one of my rabbits. She would be happy to know some great two-leggeds noted her passing. I 'm getting condolances in other places as well, especially from folks who knew her in her prime in the Fair shows. I miss her very much. I have 8 others, but she was special. She always had such a happy personality, even in her old age when arthritis and other ailments common to all of us older organisms were bothering her.  I had her wrapped in a warm blanket and was petting her when her sweet little heart just gave out. Good journey, little one.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, LeftCoastMom said:

I just saw the names and would like to say  thanks to all here who helped me say goodbye to one of my rabbits. She would be happy to know some great two-leggeds noted her passing. I 'm getting condolances in other places as well, especially from folks who knew her in her prime in the Fair shows. I miss her very much. I have 8 others, but she was special. She always had such a happy personality, even in her old age when arthritis and other ailments common to all of us older organisms were bothering her.  I had her wrapped in a warm blanket and was petting her when her sweet little heart just gave out. Good journey, little one.

awwww nooo :(

Omg I have only had one rabbit in my life and it was so heart breaking to find her dead one morning in my patio that I didn't want one again :( mine die of poison somehow, I was like 8 years old and found her all purple just dead and it was so hard. I'm sorry for your loss :( rabbits are so cute. 

• Development Team
10 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

first of all - loving your profile pic MashaAllah. 

secondly, I have grown up thinking Atticus was one of the best characters ever written, absolutely HATED what happened in the new book. 

my only comfort is that GSAW was written before TKAM so I see it as a "practice run" which should never have been published - All the years where Harper Lee was still in her senses, she never wanted to publish the book, so I believe that her wishes should have been respected. From what I understand, her mind has deteriorated so far now that she is unable to manage her day to day life (she lives in a care home), so whoever decided to make a quick buck from pimping her name needs to be lynched outside a courthouse. 

it doesnt "feel" the same as TKAM, which remains to this day one of the best five books I have ever read

Guys, Go Set A Watchman isn't a new book, it's basically the rough draft version of To Kill A Mockingbird. It came first before To Kill A Mockingbird, that's why everything seems rough and that was how Atticus was originally before GSAW was refined into TKAM. It just so happens to been released in 2015. 

17 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Guys, Go Set A Watchman isn't a new book, it's basically the rough draft version of To Kill A Mockingbird. It came first before To Kill A Mockingbird, that's why everything seems rough and that was how Atticus was originally before GSAW was refined into TKAM. It just so happens to been released in 2015. 

GATHER YOUR PITCHFORKS!

WE MARCH UPON THE PUBLISHERS AT MIDNIGHT!

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, Marbles said:

Thought 1: Dear God, crucify me for the sins of all the Goodreaders who voted for Go Set a Watchman? I can no longer live in a world where an epic fail like this wins GR's Best Fiction award.

Thought 2: I need a big Cuban.

I was going to read GSAW this summer out of curiosity, but I understood what Gaius said regarding the book,too. I wasn't sure I wanted to read what is essentially the "rough draft "of a great book. Some characters need to stay in my mind the way they were. This is why I am also afraid to see the next Star Wars.

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

I was going to read GSAW this summer out of curiosity, but I understood what Gaius said regarding the book,too. I wasn't sure I wanted to read what is essentially the "rough draft "of a great book. Some characters need to stay in my mind the way they were. This is why I am also afraid to see the next Star Wars.

Many people have decided to stay away from GSAW for the same reason. They don't want to see their heroes changed into something else. Speaking of the "rough first draft," I believe this was publisher's way of salvaging the book's reputation. In fact, massive editing has gone into making GSAW a coherent story, which means it's not just a first draft but a doctored first draft in the name of Harper Lee to..to..to...you guessed it...to make big money.

Everyone who bought and read this fraud of a book should line up outside the publisher's office and demand their money back.

• Veteran Member
6 minutes ago, LeftCoastMom said:

I hate it when the cold messes with the skin on your hands and cracks it in your finger creases and it won't heal up and hurts like heck when you wiggle your fingers.

You just explained why I dislike winters.

Edited by Marbles

• Development Team
19 minutes ago, Marbles said:

You just explained why I dislike winters.

Then be grateful that you aren't really skinny and have CP like me, winters are painful, I can't keep warm.

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

• Veteran Member
47 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Then be grateful that you aren't really skinny and have CP like me, winters are painful, I can't keep warm.

Allah help you overcome the painful winters, bro. In my prayers inshallah.

• Veteran Member

Computers are twisted, man. My official copy of windows 7 (which I downloaded from pirate bay) won't install on any of my hard drive partitions. I formatted every damn one and I know all of them are NTFS or NSFW or TMNT or whatever the hell one Windows uses. It doesn't work. I looked up the error it gave me on the internet and found a bunch of tech people typing techno babble. This stupid machine has been sitting here for months and I haven't even been able to use it. I installed ubuntu but none of their video editing software satisfies me like Sony vegas. I needs windblowz. I tried installing xp and it gives me the blue screen of death. One of you worthless techies get over here and solve my issue while I insult you and call you names.

Edited by baradar_jackson

• Veteran Member
13 minutes ago, baradar_jackson said:

Computers are twisted, man. My official copy of windows 7 (which I downloaded from pirate bay) won't install on any of my hard drive partitions. I formatted every damn one and I know all of them are NTFS or NSFW or TMNT or whatever the hell one Windows uses. It doesn't work. I looked up the error it gave me on the internet and found a bunch of tech people typing techno babble. This stupid machine has been sitting here for months and I haven't even been able to use it. I installed ubuntu but none of their video editing software satisfies me like Sony vegas. I needs windblowz. I tried installing xp and it gives me the blue screen of death. One of you worthless techies get over here and solve my issue while I insult you and call you names.

Did you also make partitions? Did you make a primary partition (and not make it "logical")? >>Important: What error does the Windows 7 setup give you, exactly?<< Don't bother with Windows XP it does not have hardware support / hardware recognition for your system.

My thoughts right now: The three kittens deposited at my home by some dern cat are hungry and mewing and therefore now they have chosen to recognize my existance and pay attention to me. However, I'm trying hard not to feed them. The parent cat should visit and feed them like it did a night before. If I feed them now I will have a whole lot of added nuisance to deal with. There is already too much nuisance in my life. I can not give in to their cuteness or some soft stupid emotion like that.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

I hate it when the cold messes with the skin on your hands and cracks it in your finger creases and it won't heal up and hurts like heck when you wiggle your fingers.

Try Neosporin Eczema Essentials. It isn't cheap, but its the only thing that works for me. I've developed an allergy to pretty much every skin cream so I had little hope of ever being able to comfortably move my hands again. I've been using this since it first came out, and my hands look better now than they did when I was 20, and I can't even begin to explain how much better I feel.

Edit: also, wear gloves even if it isn't that cold. 

Edited by notme

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, The Batman said:

This is why dry skin is the best. Rarely any acne. And your hands are rough and tough like a man. 

Spoken like one who has never suffered the cracks and pain that come with working with hands in harsh environments.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, The Batman said:

No I haven't. People get cracks because they don't shower or do sport.

That might be one reason, but definitely not the only. In most cases that I've known, hand cracking is a result of hard work in harsh environments where one doesn't have the luxury of stopping to care for his skin in the midst of the work.