Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
wonderer

Thoughts (2010-2016) [ARCHIVE]

No offense, but some sisters in the West seem to be taking hijab very lightly. So wearing tight clothing and having a hijab on your head will suffice? I saw this at the gym. What's the point of hijab then? IMO it's worse if you wear exposing clothes with a hijab than wearing non-exposing clothes without a hijab, I think most people would agree.

Very insulting to Islam.

No offense, but some sisters in the West seem to be taking hijab very lightly. So wearing tight clothing and having a hijab on your head will suffice? I saw this at the gym. What's the point of hijab then? IMO it's worse if you wear exposing clothes with a hijab than wearing non-exposing clothes without a hijab, I think most people would agree.

Very insulting to Islam.

Would you think no hijab is better than half hijab?

Currently reading Nikah al Mutah, Zina or Sunnah by Toyib Olawuyi. So far it's an interesting read, I am liking it, seems informative.

Saw an old friend from high school today and met her daughter. We chatted for a bit and caught up with each other. Glad to see that she is still the same person I respected in school. I was very surprised to see her again, I wasn't expecting to see anyone from high school I know today.

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

Very insulting to Islam.

There was a discussion on shiachat some time back, and the conclusion was it is haram for men to go to mixed gyms. Look that thread up, and maybe you will never again have an issue with insufficient hijab in the gym.

No. But if you're exposing everything from neck down... that's hardly hijab is it lol?

. Look that thread up, and maybe you will never again have an issue with insufficient hijab in the gym.

But it's not just the gym. Over in town there was a girl walking down the street with the traditional-looking headscarf ...and a tight sweater and skinny jeans. My sons got whiplash with the double-take and asked " what's up with that?"

But it's not just the gym. Over in town there was a girl walking down the street with the traditional-looking headscarf ...and a tight sweater and skinny jeans. My sons got whiplash with the double-take and asked " what's up with that?"

Well yes, it happens, but he shouldn't be going to a mixed gym anyway, so it might possibly be hypocritical to criticize others where they fall short.

I just read the book The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, by Marie Kondo. At first her idea that we shouldn't own anything that doesn't give us joy seemed like a great idea, until I realized that I don't really get much joy from things, except maybe my books. I'm not sure I could live in an utterly empty house with nothing but books. I'm sure my family would throw a fit.

Well yes, it happens, but he shouldn't be going to a mixed gym anyway, so it might possibly be hypocritical to criticize others where they fall short.

I just read the book The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, by Marie Kondo. At first her idea that we shouldn't own anything that doesn't give us joy seemed like a great idea, until I realized that I don't really get much joy from things, except maybe my books. I'm not sure I could live in an utterly empty house with nothing but books. I'm sure my family would throw a fit.

A few days ago we had a terrible scare with violent earthquake jolts. We all ran outside lest things come crashing down on us. While others grabbed their phones and looked for shoes outside the room, I instinctively grabbed a couple of the books I were reading and ran outside. 

Some would call me crazy but the things (besides people) I was worried for at home were my bookshelves.

Thoughts 

Family comes back from Karbala thid morning. Going to the airport to pick 'em up. Yaayyy!!

Thoughts: Recently bought a case and a portable charger for my new phone. My previous one had some issues and kept making strange loud noises when I would answer calls so a friend of mine gave me an iPhone a family member of his no longer uses. I've never been an iPhone user so not sure what to make of it right now. Everything seems quite simple, perhaps too simple. What annoys me is i'll be at 20% power and think: fantastic, still have a bit left in the tank. Nay! You don't! All of a sudden the phone goes blank and gives me that annoying little sign saying to shove in the charger. So I do just that, and oddly enough, few moments later when it resumes it has 22% battery life!  :wacko:

Additionally, going out for lunch with few friends in a bit under an hour which will be followed by some ping-pong ( :wub: ). So looking forward to that but should do some quality study after this post before I leave. Cant stay long though. Have an online exam tonight :(

Thank you all for your thoughts and duas last time I posted. I feel I did well, aH. Much better than I expected. Especially in the oral exam, I did quite well. I was a bit annoyed with myself as the written exam was quite straight forward and not really difficult. I wish I had spent more time preparing for it as I feel I could of done exceedingly well if I had. Alas, next time iA (said everyone ever...).

This is the second last exam so almost finished. Indeed, the end is nigh ;)

Edited by Ali Musaaa :)

Continuing...

Ms. Kondo advises starting by sorting clothing. If I keep only the clothing which makes me happy, I'd have some fluffy chenille socks, a couple t-shirts, one old pair of jeans, and a few pretty scarves. I don't think these clothes are very useful if I ever want to leave my house.

Then the next category is books. Every book I own makes me happy. Just seeing them on my shelves makes me happy.

Then papers. No issue there, dump them all. Then miscellaneous stuff, which is a really big category, and finally sentimental items. I'm OK with those three categories. It's just the first two that throw me for a loop.

I'm just ranting. I guess the book must have hit a nerve.

Guest silasun

^Best thing to do is avoid places of immodesty (like mixed gyms- this is something which might not be waajib in and of itself but if you go there you at the very least put yourself on the border of halal and haraam- avoiding al-shubuhaat -doubtful matters- is the key to taqwa) so you protect yourself against sin. Also, try and support education about hijaab in the community, such as speaking to less religious family members, translating articles and most crucially being the best example you can be.

God help us all!

Then the next category is books. Every book I own makes me happy. Just seeing them on my shelves makes me happy.

One of the reasons I hate the idea of reading on my Kindle... who needs wallpaper when you have a shelf of hardbacks :wub: . My future wife will be very disappointed that she put me in charge of decorating the house, lol :P

Edited by silasun

Took a break between weekend chores and decided to read old posts on SC...random stuff. Just finished going through a two page thread..only when I reached the last post I realized I was the OP of that thread! Made it years ago under a user account I later abandoned. The OP felt like another person, a stranger.

Made me think how much I have changed in the last few years and brought questions to my mind that I couldn't answer... Have I changed for the better?or worse? Am I a stronger person now? Or more broken? Broken but fixed?

Okay break over :D back to dusting the furniture :p

^^^^ The Taliban is right. This is what happens when girls are taught to read.

They even become different people.

After salah and cooking, the furniture comes next, starlight.

Yeah, I know this ain't the joke thread, but I couldn't resist. It is still Hollowe'en here. (Sun ain't up yet)

Thoughts: Recently bought a case and a portable charger for my new phone. My previous one had some issues and kept making strange loud noises when I would answer calls so a friend of mine gave me an iPhone a family member of his no longer uses. I've never been an iPhone user so not sure what to make of it right now. Everything seems quite simple, perhaps too simple. What annoys me is i'll be at 20% power and think: fantastic, still have a bit left in the tank. Nay! You don't! All of a sudden the phone goes blank and gives me that annoying little sign saying to shove in the charger. So I do just that, and oddly enough, few moments later when it resumes it has 22% battery life!  :wacko:

Additionally, going out for lunch with few friends in a bit under an hour which will be followed by some ping-pong ( :wub: ). So looking forward to that but should do some quality study after this post before I leave. Cant stay long though. Have an online exam tonight :(

Thank you all for your thoughts and duas last time I posted. I feel I did well, aH. Much better than I expected. Especially in the oral exam, I did quite well. I was a bit annoyed with myself as the written exam was quite straight forward and not really difficult. I wish I had spent more time preparing for it as I feel I could of done exceedingly well if I had. Alas, next time iA (said everyone ever...).

This is the second last exam so almost finished. Indeed, the end is nigh ;)

replace the battery. iPhone can survive on 1%. 

replace the battery. iPhone can survive on 1%.

Iphone's batteries aren't user replaceable, at least it's isn't simple like Android where one just slides off the rear cover and replaces the battery.

Erdogan I curse you...I will never understand how you get votes,you hypocrite,you Yazeed.Curse be upon you both.

He uses the  terrorist card to scare the turkish people into voting for him. The explosion that happened a while back in turkey was not a coincidence.  Now everyone that voted for him will be responsible for what happens to turkey. 

what i feel telling some pplimage.jpg

Lol, that is horrible but funny.

Thoughts: I am seriously considering mutah again, I think it would be very beneficial for me. I could live independently with some assistance due to difficulties with my disability this way. Problem is that I know nobody who would agree to a mutah.

^ The bleach thing is horrible-funny, but I've had a day, too,so I can totally relate.

Some day some out-of-towners' pelican mouths are going to get their hummingbird rumps in serious trouble with me.

# gohometouristsyouredrunk

post-183511-0-89370500-1446438359_thumb.

post-183511-0-55534400-1446438372_thumb.

post-183511-0-02164700-1446438658.jpg

Edited by LeftCoastMom

Erdogan I curse you...I will never understand how you get votes,you hypocrite,you Yazeed.Curse be upon you both.

Maybe they think they have no better option. As far as I know, among those parties, AKP is the only so-called Islamist one. So maybe the reason is the fear of the internal consequences like issues regarding hijab, if any of the secular parties attain the majority of votes. The same old story of preferring bad over worse, although Erdogan may be the worst here.

Do you think that would be the case? Since you are familiar with Turkey and have a better understanding of the situation there.

Was listening to Surah Yousuf and came across this verse,

"O my sons, go and find out about Joseph and his brother and despair not of relief from Allah . Indeed, no one despairs of relief from Allah except the disbelieving people." (12:87)

Wanted to share to those going through rough times, to not lose hope of relief from Allah (awj). 

For those who has watched the Hazrate Yousuf Iranian Series, although there are many miracles in the story of Hazrate Yousuf, but there is these two particular significant miracles that is not mentioned in Surah Yusuf in the Quran, but the series shows it.

1) The series shows that a baby testifies as a witness by the power of Allah (awj) when the wife of Aziz of Egypt rips Prophet Yusuf's shirt from the back. While in the quran it just says "And a witness from her family testified. "If his shirt is torn from the front, then she has told the truth, and he is of the liars"

2) The series shows that the wife of Aziz of Egypt after becoming old and frail, by the power of Allah (awj) becomes young and beautiful again and marries prophet Yusuf. The Quran doesn't mention anything on this matter. It doesn't even mention that she marries Yusuf.

My thoughts are that since these two events are very significant in the story of Yusuf, why hasn't it been written in the Quran? My guess is that It probably didn't happen. I once spoke to our sunni Sheikh at our school about the first event, he said that it wasn't a baby that gave the witness, it was a grown up relative. Do you think that there is a possibility that those two events didn't happen? Because the director of the series would've got it from ahadith and there is always a chance that it could be inaccurate. 

EDIT:

After doing a quick search, seems that sunnis don't believe in the 2nd event too. ie. that Zulaikha became young again. Can anyone confirm if it is in any of their books?

Edited by SlaveOfAllah14

Maybe they think they have no better option. As far as I know, among those parties, AKP is the only so-called Islamist one. So maybe the reason is the fear of the internal consequences like issues regarding hijab, if any of the secular parties attain the majority of votes. The same old story of preferring bad over worse, although Erdogan may be the worst here.

Do you think that would be the case? Since you are familiar with Turkey and have a better understanding of the situation there.

For some it maybe the case but he got even votes from Kurds who he is bombing.In social media,polls and conversations ppl say they vote for Erdogan bcoz of economical reasons.The say things like 'He built a tunnel,he made Turkey modern,he gave me rice and a fridge blah blah...the ppl don't know that Erdogan sold the whole country to investors and what the outcome of this will be...it's purely the ignorance and greed of the ppl that he gets votes.As Imam Ali as said ppl always have a leader they deserve.

Alhamdulillah he is not my leader and never was...may Allah curse him and his lovers if they don't turn back to truthfulness.

Edited by mina313