Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
wonderer

Thoughts (2010-2016) [ARCHIVE]

Dilemma of the day for Daughter:

Should she tell SG that ,after this long acquaintance ,she is beginning to read/understand Arabic organically seeing/listening to all the texts, phone exchanges,etc. between himself, friends, and family ...or keep her new-found super-power to herself? Hmmmmmm....;-)

Second part was supposed to be a separate post but oh well....

Most definitely keep it for a later brilliant surprise!

^ you're evil. I like you.

Evil is good, I am kind of evil myself :p ;)

Thought that just crossed my mind: SG is 'shia guy', so what if he is on shiachat and planning a little surprise of his own!!!

Yikes!

Edited by starlight

Exam today.... duas are highly appreciated.

How did it go?

I saw a colorful bird today for a split second. The head was dark shiny green and the body yellow. Strange looking bird it was.

oh! oh! when I was in Beirut I forgot to pack my scunci and I really needed it cuz I wanted to tie my hair into a ponytail. So then like a brilliant MacGyver, I got a latex glove and cut the circle part out and used it to make my ponytail. I felt  like a genius, like I invented the ipod or something. And also at one point I needed to unscrew  a lid to put batteries and I didn't have a screw driver so I used a knife. And that's when I knew I ruled the world.

Nice, but whats a scunci? I'll google it... oh you mean a rubber band.

Though I've never had long hair and my experience with hair on head was short lived I always thought you can tie your hair with your hair.

@IbnSina, LOL...good to know you are not suffering from functional fixedness :D How long did it take you to fix the slippers?

Yeah, creativity is nice. Hmm it took me like 10 minutes to make but then... one of my colleagues got jealous of my fabulous slippers and while I was outside the office he messed with the cable ties and the slipper got too small and the ties only work one way :(

Then I had to cut off the ties and put in new ones and now I'm going to burn the end of the ties so the plastic melts and then the size will be fixed and then I'm going to spit in his coffee mug, then we will be even  :)

Though I've never had long hair and my experience with hair on head was short lived I always thought you can tie your hair with your hair.

Yeah, creativity is nice. Hmm it took me like 10 minutes to make but then... one of my colleagues got jealous of my fabulous slippers and while I was outside the office he messed with the cable ties and the slipper got too small and the ties only work one way :(

Then I had to cut off the ties and put in new ones and now I'm going to burn the end of the ties so the plastic melts and then the size will be fixed and then I'm going to spit in his coffee mug, then we will be even  :)

Yep you can tie your hair with your hair - I do it most of the time :D

make sure you spit in his coffee mug and stir it in well. spit in his food too. spit everywhere. then only you will be even. 

set his shoes/slippers on fire too. or just hide them somewhere he can't find them :lol:

Then I had to cut off the ties and put in new ones and now I'm going to burn the end of the ties so the plastic melts and then the size will be fixed and then I'm going to spit in his coffee mug, then we will be even :)

Hmm creativity can be good depending on whether you are a convergent or divergent thinker or both. :) And lol I feel sorry for your colleague, they must lack creativity to be jealous of your fabulous slippers. C'mon is that what Islam teaches us? To retaliate or to forgive ? Lol Just kidding. Edited by IamHussaini

Was very worried about my results for a Psych Assessment, but just found out I got 90%, which is not bad I guess. :D

I really want to understand the thought processes of those who believe that they haven't done very well in exams, but always get excellent grades.

Are they just being overly cautious?

Were they ill prepared but were intelligent enough to work out the correct answers?

I really want to understand the thought processes of those who believe that they haven't done very well in exams, but always get excellent grades.

Were they ill prepared but were intelligent enough to work out the correct answers?

Me too

I have a friend who is a wonderful person otherwise but she has this one habit that I find super annoying.

Whenever we are preparing for a test of exam she is always like ," I haven't been able to prepare, I am not studying enough...."

Then after the exam," I am going to fail, I just know I am going to fail, I wasn't able to do all the questions "

After the result in which she gets quite good grades ,"OMG! How did I get such a poor percentage??, I knew every question, I did so well,I spent so many nights studying, I was thinking I would get the highest, there must have been mistake"

It irks me to no end, so much that I avoid her like plague around exam days.

Edited by starlight

All of you pray for my kids' health and well-being.

my children are my biggest weakness. i can't stand seeing them sick and in pain and when i know this pain is caused by someone so close to them, it just kills me inside. when will some people start being humans? why can't they see? why don't they feel the pain they are causing to their family? i only want the best for my kids, but i have come to a point where i can't do it all alone. i'm sick myself and watching my kids suffer is just adding to my stress and pain. 

when will God have mercy on these innocent souls?

Will pray, Apo!

Thoughts: I wish I participated on this website more. But I don't know how to. Every day for the past few months I get on this site, and wonder if my input is needed anywhere. But it never is. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I don't have anything worthwhile to say!! 

Thought 2: I need to make 'strife' and 'crisis' rhyme. 

Apo, I'll keep them in my prayers. 

- It was hard to write on that rough wall..so I guess that's the reason why my handwriting looks really bad but oh well..

I just had to write something on the wall before i leave.. don't ask why :D

12191492_912340198859432_639187956515663

sorry i tried but i couldn't hold back you spelled Karbala wrong.

I've seen some test prep materials where you are supposed to score how confident you are of your answers. If the actual tests had this it would be quite interesting.  Of course, it could be a warding-off-evil-eye-strategy...

I think it's because people underestimate their intelligence. People tend not to be good judges of their own intellectual capacity/reasoning skills/simple intelligence. There may also be an incentive in this - individuals underrate their intelligence so they work harder, and then credit their result to luck/fluke (explains why they put down their chances of success), so they can work hard again.

All of this happens unconsciously, of course.

For a sec, it felt like I'm sitting in English class & my teacher Mr Martyrdom is trying to correct my spelling lol

Thats right and so far you have a D- in class but if you like to bring your grade up get rosetta stone. 

Thats right and so far you have a D- in class but if you like to bring your grade up get rosetta stone. 

Dude go home, what kind of a teacher are you? My spelling isn't even that bad, What D are talking about? I'm sorry, but you need to get kicked out, you're the worst teacher I've seen

Dude go home, what kind of a teacher are you? My spelling isn't even that bad, What D are talking about? I'm sorry, but you need to get kicked out, you're the worst teacher I've seen

You spelled Karbala wrong, to a shia thats blasphemy.  And no one can kick me out cause Im the teacher and the principal in this school.  

You spelled Karbala wrong, to a shia thats blasphemy.  And no one can kick me out cause Im the teacher and the principal in this school.  

How is it wrong?   Transliterations of Arabic terms have many accepted spelling variants. 

Edited by magma

Oh please, so many people spell Kerbala that way.  I see no difference it's still Kerbala whether it's with an 'E' or 'A' ...Just kick yourself out then

Edited by Rosarita Leema

How is it wrong?   Transliterations of Arabic terms have many accepted spelling variants. 

I have never seen Karbala spelled with an e. Even when you type kerbala on google it will say did you mean karbala. But anyways Im only joking around maybe your right. 

Thanks for the prayers everyone. Unfortunately I could not study much for this midterm, of which I feel I did poorly. Was swamped with other deadlines.  I just hope I passed ;-; thanks again....

All of you pray for my kids' health and well-being.

my children are my biggest weakness. i can't stand seeing them sick and in pain and when i know this pain is caused by someone so close to them, it just kills me inside. when will some people start being humans? why can't they see? why don't they feel the pain they are causing to their family? i only want the best for my kids, but i have come to a point where i can't do it all alone. i'm sick myself and watching my kids suffer is just adding to my stress and pain. 

when will God have mercy on these innocent souls?

Sister, God is the all merciful, such that you were given the blessing and duty to raise God conscious beings who depend on you.

It may just be their negative automatic thoughts (ATs) in the form of cognitive distortions. In other words, while trying to assess the situation, they unconsciously engage in irrational beliefs (e.g., "I guess I did pretty bad on the test"; "I think I'm gonna fail the test"). In doing so, they may unconsciously base their thoughts on their lack of preparedness.

I think it's because people underestimate their intelligence. People tend not to be good judges of their own intellectual capacity/reasoning skills/simple intelligence. There may also be an incentive in this - individuals underrate their intelligence so they work harder, and then credit their result to luck/fluke (explains why they put down their chances of success), so they can work hard again.

All of this happens unconsciously, of course.

It's actually quite the opposite. If a person attributes their success to external factors (situational attribution), such as luck, then they will be less likely to perform well because they believe they don't have control over the situation. In other words, they think that no matter how much they study, they won't get good grades, because it all depends on luck. However, if a person attribues their success to internal factors (dispositional attribution), such as their ability to do well, then they are more likely to perform well because they think that they have control over the situation. They see themselves as responsible for their success.

People underestimate their intelligence when they have low self-efficacy, which plays a huge role in performance in any area of life. When they don't have a strong sense of self-efficacy, they have low chances of success. Attributing their success to luck is a form of cognitive distortion called "disqualifying the positive", an extreme form of all-or-nothing thinking. Also, performance depends on whether the person underestimates their fluid or crystallised intelligence. Fluid intelligence tends to decrease with age wheras crystallised inteligence remains relatively stable. So older people may be more likely to underestimate their fluid intelligence and so do less well in tasks that require its use.

Edited by IamHussaini