Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
wonderer

Thoughts (2010-2016) [ARCHIVE]

^^ Hello,

I think "pursuing justice and contentment" is synonymous with happiness.

I see so many religious leaders who seem afraid to smile.  

And, yes Kamranistan, levels of happiness vary.  Some say it is hard to comprehend happiness if we have not experienced sadness.  And, I agree.  But, I do not agree they are equal.  Sadness comes from negative stimuli, happiness comes from positive.  The World needs more positive.

All the Best,

David

I think the 'happiness' you are ascribing to justice is actually contentment. Though, I could be wrong of course. 

Well, sadness will always come over us David. We cannot help this. When we lose someone, a natural disaster strikes, we see pictures of unfathomable distress etc.. Equally happiness will always come over us. A baby is born, to feel loved by someone, to be placed with trust, to gain some comfort with wealth, purchasing a new material good etc.

I disagree. They are equal in my opinion. (anyway this is thoughts, not sure we should be spamming it lol (?))

Edited by Kamranistan

My favorite thread on SC: http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/234992108-pictures-of-various-ulamaa/

It rejuvenates my faith and heart when I look at their blessed faces. Just looking at these people truly shows you how true Islam is, especially the path of Muhammad A.S and His Ahlulbayt A.S

Pursue justice and contentment will follow. Contentment > happiness.

Pursuing happiness will always be futile in the long run. It's selfish, therefore never satisfying.

Contentment leads to happiness, ultimately. So if one is seeking happiness one should look for contentment first. Happiness without contentment is fleeting and shallow, only momentary, and like the excitement of sin, only lasts as long as a good cream pastry lasts, and then ennui sets in. And this - the ennui - is the most obstinate enemy of happiness.

That is a pretty doll. Is it available in the United States? How big?

Salaam sister,

it sure is!

Take a look here: http://www.target.com/p/hearts-for-hearts-girls-shola-doll-from-afghanistan/-/A-14815333

I suppose the major issue is the way her hair and arms are exposed. But, better compared to the other dolls.

Edited by jannahismygoal

Will the alternative to that make you happy?

It would definitely provide more peace. The system promotes this 'mad dash' for happiness through the products it offers. It's all futile, in the end - a temporary moment of bliss or happiness. Oh yeah, what I'm talking here is the pursuit of happiness that the world promotes. Total farce.

I suppose the major issue is the way her hair and arms are exposed. But, better compared to the other dolls.

It's even available in some stores near me! I think the doll is supposed to be a child, not an adult, so the hair and arms are fine. She's supposed to be a little hijabi in training.

It would definitely provide more peace. The system promotes this 'mad dash' for happiness through the products it offers. It's all futile, in the end - a temporary moment of bliss or happiness. Oh yeah, what I'm talking here is the pursuit of happiness that the world promotes. Total farce.

Will that feeling of peace make you happy?

It's even available in some stores near me! I think the doll is supposed to be a child, not an adult, so the hair and arms are fine. She's supposed to be a little hijabi in training.

I guess, but the thing is children are easily effected with impressions. They may take this to be a correct form of Hijab...I mean it's definitely by far the most wonderful doll you can find in stores out there. However, since the idea is to inculcate in these little girls the symbolism of Hijab, the only two changes I'd make is: tuck in the hair, and lengthen sleeves :)

Edited by jannahismygoal

I guess, but the thing is children are easily effected with impressions. They may take this to be a correct form of Hijab...I mean it's definitely by far the most wonderful doll you can find in stores out there. However, since the idea is to inculcate in these little girls the symbolism of Hijab, the only two changes I'd make is: tuck in the hair, and lengthen sleeves :)

Some of the product reviewers also commented that she didn't come with pants and her dress showed her ankles.  Apparently the tall boots shown in the photo have been exchanged for a soft plastic slipper.  It is easy enough to buy or sew additional or modified doll clothes, but if you're going to have to do a lot of that, there's almost no point in buying any particular doll.  I'd also recommend researching the charity that this doll manufacturer says they contribute to. 

Will that feeling of peace make you happy?

No. Peace is peace. It is a different feeling in my opinion. Contentment is far different from happiness. Happiness is an emotion. Peace and contentment seem to provide more than a simple, fragile, emotional feeling. 

No. Peace is peace. It is a different feeling in my opinion. Contentment is far different from happiness. Happiness is an emotion. Peace and contentment seem to provide more than a simple, fragile, emotional feeling. 

This is overly simplistic.

Do you think that Islamic teachings would not use the Arabic equivalent for 'happy' to describe the positive feelings in paradise? 

You have restricted the definition of happiness, instead of finding a better approach. This is not a good thing to do because it is not only unjustified, but it can give people the wrong impression of the religion (if you present it to be a teaching of the religion).

Contentment is what must be. It's a perspective; a mindset. Insha'Allah we can all sustain it some day.

So contentment to you is a mindset, and it can be temporary?  Do you think it does it not have the characteristics of an emotion?

Tell me, is it possible for a person to be unhappy and and be fully content simultaneously? What if a person said, "I am going through a lot of pain, but I am happy with what God has given me"; is that a contradiction?

Pursue justice and contentment will follow. Contentment > happiness.

Pursuing happiness will always be futile in the long run. It's selfish, therefore never satisfying.

Does the thought of feeding the poor make you happy? Is that a selfish thought?

Pursuing happiness is one of the noble aims.

With these subjects, we should be a lot humbler in regards to our knowledge and understanding. I don't claim to have a good understanding of the subject.

Edited by Muhammed Ali

Does the thought of feeding the poor make you happy? Is that a selfish thought?

Pursuing happiness is one of the noble aims.

With these subjects, we should be a lot humbler in regards to our knowledge and understanding. I don't claim to have a good understanding of the subject.

This is all correct, but usually when people talk about pursuing happiness, they mean it from a selfish point of view.  Contentment is true happiness, not the state of being entertained which most worldly people call happiness.  

This is all correct, but usually when people talk about pursuing happiness, they mean it from a selfish point of view.  Contentment is true happiness, not the state of being entertained which most worldly people call happiness.  

"A kind of unexpected, ineradicable childishness pervades our people; in direct opposition to what is best in us, our infallible practical common sense, we often behave with the utmost foolishness, with exactly the same foolishness as children, senselessly, wastefully, grandiosely, irresponsibly.and all that for the sake of some trivial entertainment."...which we call happiness.

...said Franz Kafka.

Speaking of materialism, I'd love to have a room just like this one.

interior-furniture-green-silk-curtains-a

Except I want a sliding ladder directly on the book shelf, like they have in movies.  

Edited by notme

Happiness is when your living in a  moment that you never want to end. Like when your in dua and you can feel God is pleased with you and you dont want to stop so you don't lose that feeling. Those moments are so hard to come by.

I think this is a better approach than saying that the pursuit of happiness is futile. There are different types and degrees of happiness. 

Bro Muhammad Ali, 

In no way am I saying my opinion is set in stone or anything.. After all this is a 'thoughts' thread. The context behind it was the pursuit of Happiness in the material sense.. If we use the word happiness as part of contentment then of course it's a noble pursuit. Happiness isn't to be avoided or not sought after. I didn't mean that at all. I'm merely making the point; if we look at happiness and sadness in the purist emotional sense - they are equal emotions. They will come and go throughout life.

Good article. In particular the word 'literally' has become a sort of misnomer that's more and more accepted due to widespread (mis)use. It won't be surprising if in a few years time it comes to mean 'figuratively' too, in spite of its actual meaning. We have a precedent for this.

Take decimate. It historically meant to kill one person in a group of ten as a warning to the rest. Later it came to mean to cut something in ten parts. Eg, when you cut a piece of meat in ten parts, you decimate it. But further on it changed to mean complete or great destruction. To decimate an army; a town decimated by plague etc.

There are other minor mistakes people make all the time but don't think much of it. Take everyone and every one. They can't be used interchangeably.

"Every one of us graduated in the year 2014," . 'Every one' means 'each person.'

"Everyone knows Khalid is a liar." every one in a group, present or not.

Likewise, everyday and every day, everything and every thing, anyone and any one etc.

The article mentions 'alot' which is wrong, and so is 'alright'. There's no word such as this. It is all right.

Edited by Marbles

^ I never thought of the everyone/every one difference. We need to learn about this stuff in elementary school!

We used to, and I'm even not all that old. 

I was reading a book sample on my kindle yesterday that talked about the loss of classical education, and how much it harms an individual and society as a whole.  Right now I'm home schooling a middle school age child, and my daughter is going to be ready for kindergarten when she's just a few weeks short of five years, but not allowed to go due to her birth date being past the cutoff date.  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NLKZSM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1SNU8Y5779BU6&coliid=I88HLMD60QH8H