Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Draw Muhammad Day

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

:cry: This is so horrible, Islam keeps being bashed and it's totally normal (not being regarded as an attack in our western societies, atleast in Canada).

This really bothered me, not only is our prophet not being acknowledged for his great contributions to this world, but he is being hated on....What a World... :mad:

And apparantly this is a response to the danish cartoonist...

• Advanced Member

Slowly but surely Islam is being thrashed and thrashed by its enemies. That was the whole aim of September 11th.

Ill say one thing, though.

Have you seen the youtube war of words between DawahFilms and ThunderF00t?

Goes to show you, doesnt it?

Oh well, theres only one solution to this. Use their freedom of expression against them. Hey if theyre serious about freedom of expression, lets bash them as well. In fact, lets bash everyone. Be racist while youre at it, cause its just "freedom of expression".

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

These are two of the groups that are doing this:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Everybody-Draw-Mohammed-Day/121369914543425

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Everybody-Draw-Mohammad-Day-May-20th-2010/120352401315688

please report them and spread the message!

And please do not go on there and curse and threaten people because that makes Islam look terrible.

was salam

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

^Brother its no use, the creator of facebook is an obvious jewish zionist so reporting it won't do anything.

They got rid of the "Quran is toilet paper" group that was selling the Quran as toliet paper when we boycotted it half a year ago.

At least use this as an opportunity for da'wa

was salam

Edited by lotfilms
  • Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

They got rid of the "Quran is toilet paper" group that was selling the Quran as toliet paper when we boycotted it half a year ago.

At least use this as an opportunity for da'wa

was salam

(salam)

Fine,fine, and its only more weapons for the hujjah (saw) anyways :)

(wasalam)

"All publicity is good publicity" :)

Exactly.

But it is thing is making your blood boil soo bad! :mad: I just wanna get back somehow, an idea did spring into mind not long ago but animals aren't easily hurt..

The only way to show that muslims are serious about boycotting this is if they actually LEAVE facebook when this [Edited Out] is carried out! if about 100,000 muslim members deactivate..you're bound to get a reaction. (I hope... thought facebook is massive ad 100,000 is like a drop in the ocean :squeez: )

Edited by Devout
  • Advanced Member

But it is thing is making your blood boil soo bad! :mad:

Why so serious? B)

Perhaps we should turn to the example of our Imams for guidance. A mean spirited person confronted one of our Imams and started verbally abusing the Imam's mother saying, 'your mother is such and such'. The Imam calmly responded, "If what you are saying is true then may Allah forgive my mother and if what you are saying is false then may Allah forgive you".

It is indeed strange that we the Shias who claim to be the followers of a Prophet who tended to a sick woman that previously used to throw trash at him, get so worked up over a bunch of offensive drawings or books. The status of the Islam, the Prophets, Imams, or even ourselves is independent of people's opinions - it won't be elevated because of what people say or write nor will it diminish because of that.

A poet once shared with me his thought provoking couplet...

"Akhtar majaal kya hai ke dunya gira sakey,

Jabtak girey na aap hi apne nazar mey hum"

[Akhtar*! The world cannot dare put you down,

That can only be when you lose your self-esteem.]

* poet's sobriquet

an idea did spring into mind not long ago but animals aren't easily hurt..

...please hold that thought for a moment ...[dialing animal abuse cops] ...please stay for a while longer I have some friends coming over who would like to meet with you...

Edited by thepeacemaker

^^ LMAO,

(i dont know if you were serious or not but the dialling animal people was funny) what I meant was "you can't hurt animals emotionally", I'd like to meet ANY of the drawers at a parking lot to put it like that :!!!:

Anyway, I know what you're saying. I'm that kind of a person, like who gives a damn what people think (I actually commented on the lars vilks thread saying exactly that) but this is about the Prophet (pbuh)!!! I don't care if I'm falling in a trap but this is seriously making my blood boil. It is at times like these that I wish these 'extremist muslims' that you hear about in the media would spring forth and do what the media claims they do, if you catch my drift.. :P

However, I have heard of the stories you quoted & used them as examples during a large number of discussions lol.

• Advanced Member

using it to incite hatred constitutes abuse of that right.

Hatred or incitement of it is a fundamental right. Violence or inciting of violence is not. The cartoonists/writers never incited violence. If inciting hatred or vilifying other peoples' beliefs were illegal, most Shia maulwis would be sitting behind bars right now.

There's a difference between smart confrontation and irrational confrontation. The existence of the second shouldn't diminish the importance of the first, nor should it overshadow the first to the point of making it irrelevant. There needs to be an organized and proper cultural countercurrent, where these cartoonist's only position will be to adopt a sense of guilt, shame, or fear of isolation by taking part in such vilifications. This has actually been the case with the Jewish people, especially in the US, where even the brief accusation of anti-Semitism is enough to scare someone senseless. Our tears and blood are cheap, that's why people do it and arrogantly know they can get away with it.

People need to be smart to realize that the cartoons themselves are just symbols and tangible images of a much wider social and religious critique, and like most of these expressions of "free speech", hide behind the cover of entertainment, cartoons, popular culture, Hollywood, etc, often with the privileges of expression but without the accountability of challenge. This is what needs to be analyzed and targeted.

• Advanced Member

Hatred or incitement of it is a fundamental right. Violence or inciting of violence is not. The cartoonists/writers never incited violence. If inciting hatred or vilifying other peoples' beliefs were illegal, most Shia maulwis would be sitting behind bars right now.

True, and I'm not sure of the legalities of it, but you might want to take a look at the comments it has generated.

• Advanced Member

Guys calm down, free spech is allowed, also the free speech to be offended. But seriously this is ok LET PEOPLE DO WHAT THEY WANT, thats what free will is. They did this because the over reaction caused by muslims, people, south park, family guy, make fun of jesus and other gods all the time. NO ONE CARES, but when this happened people actually started caring. Calm down and they wont do anything.

• Advanced Member

Dont be pathetic. Thats what you view it as. Dont listen to these people if you really care that much. Get a hold of yourself. Some of my iconic figures get made fun of all the time, we have to deal with it, and ignore if necessary.

Edited by Muntasir
  • Basic Members

I'm not sure what to make of this hot issue but I would like to think that there aren't predominately ill-intentions here. Of course there will always those bigots who just want to thrash our religion but I expect them to be in the minority.

Which of the following reasons for the Facebook drawing fiasco do you think is more likely:

a ) It was created as part of a conspiracy to attack and diminish Islam.

or

b ) It was created as a protest against threats to the principals of freedom of speech posed by radical Islam.

Edited by abecedarian
  • Advanced Member

I got an invitation to join that facebook group (yes, i have some anti-muslim friends) and I couldn't even look through all the pictures as I found them so disgusting and offensive. I think the best things is to simply ignore people like that, and dont get angry. Your anger is what they feed on, why cant ya'll see that.

• Moderators

I got an invitation to join that facebook group (yes, i have some anti-muslim friends) and I couldn't even look through all the pictures as I found them so disgusting and offensive. I think the best things is to simply ignore people like that, and dont get angry. Your anger is what they feed on, why cant ya'll see that.

No need to ignore but mostly never be angry toward them and not reply back with useless speech. I think i have repeated myself 3 times...well it is because we have more than one topics about this issue XD

Edited by Zufa
  • Advanced Member

This is really complex to me, like some of you are saying simply ignore...well what about amr bil maroof wa nahy an al monkar.....arn't sopposed to speak against what's wrong or take action?

Anyways I found a good quote on someones status on face book and stole it:

"When you attack black people, they call it racism. When you attack Jewish people, they call it anti-semetism. When you attack women, they call it sexism. When you attack homosexuality, they call it intolerance. When you attack your country, they call it treason. When you attack a religious sect they call it hate speech. But when you attack the Prophet peace be upon him they want to call it freedom of speech!"

"When you attack black people, they call it racism. When you attack Jewish people, they call it anti-semetism. When you attack women, they call it sexism. When you attack homosexuality, they call it intolerance. When you attack your country, they call it treason. When you attack a religious sect they call it hate speech. But when you attack the Prophet peace be upon him they want to call it freedom of speech!"

Well said

• Advanced Member

Guess which one of these groups when "attacked" respond with not only death threats but actually carry them out!

• Advanced Member

I am not sure about the country you are lviing in, but in America and Canada, we have a secular constitutions, which by forth the first amendment was made clearly to have the freedom to offend religion. When we make funof these things we call it these phrases, like rascist etc etc. But we can make fun of any religion, as long as we do not hurt, or impose something on other people. Freedom of speech, includes the right to offend. I personally think south park is a great show, not only because its hilarious, but it also raises awareness in a sense. When the south park owners depicted the prophet Mohammad they got many death threats and quote said " How hypocritical would it be if we just showed buddha smoking crack, jesus watching adult shows, moses being a super computer, and then not making fun of the prophet of Islam"

• Advanced Member

I mentioned this in the other thread. In my opinion we should have freedom of speech which means we have the right to draw whatever we want. But voluntarily we can decide not to. Because we know certain pictures hurt the feelings of millions of people. Plus it helps the recruiting efforts of radical groups. Likewise should no one in Iran should burn the American flag. According to the laws in Iran this is allowed. But people should decide not to do this. We need to promote respect and prevent disrespect.

After the Danish Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons were published there were hundreds of demonstrations with millions of Muslims worldwide. An elderly nun called Sister Leonella working at a hospital in Somalia helping wounded Muslims was murdered by radical Muslims. Now we all know these radicals are a minority. But I was really disappointed about one thing. Where were all the moderate Muslims organizing demonstrations against these kind of murders? Drawing an insulting picture (which no one should do) is one thing, but killing an innocent human being is another. Where is the public outcry in Muslim countries about these killings?

The moderate Muslims need to raise their voices. They should try to calm down their more angry fellow Muslims being outraged by Facebook's Draw Muhammad Day. Insults only work if you allow the other person to let the insult reach you.

Many atheists criticize the behavior of religious people or they criticize parts of our holy books. They never pick positive quotes. Do I feel insulted? No, I don’t. Do I think some of their writing is disrespectful? Sometimes, yes. Do I get upset about it? No, I don’t. What if they insulted Jesus? I don’t let the insult reach me.

Are atheists the only ones showing disrespect sometimes? Of course not. Disrespect is everywhere. Look at all the Christian clerics who hate gay people. There are also hundreds of Muslim clerics and millions of Muslims worldwide who call Christians infidels, nonbelievers. It’s hard to top this kind of disrespect. Are there any moderate Muslims organizing demonstrations to counter such tendencies of intolerance? Hardly. Even many moderate Muslims seem to be more concerned about the Ummah than becoming seriously engaged in interfaith dialog. They stick to themselves.

When a couple gets married and one is Muslim and one is Christian, all children have to become Muslim. There are virtually no exceptions. Isn’t this disrespect? To me this is clearly disrespect. What about the Muslim who wants to convert to Christianity or wants to become an atheist? In some countries this is punishable by death. Now where is the respect for making individual choices? My point is, respect and disrespect exists everywhere. People are flawed. Societies are flawed.

We have to learn how different views can co-exist. One powerful mechanism is trying to challenge our assumptions. Many Muslims assume that the people drawing these pictures want to insult their religion. But when you ask them, you’ll find out that’s the wrong assumption. These people want to defend the principle of free speech. Now as I said, my approach in this particular case is the following: in principle we have the right to express ourselves, but we choose not to exercise this right in this particular case. So, no pictures of Muhammad.

--------------------------

Education is key as a holistic, transparent, dialog-oriented process --Queen Rania Al Abdullah

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people --Eleanor Roosevelt