MFAHH

Washing Machine

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

I have always thought that the clothes that are put into the washing machine become pak after going through the process of being washed, but then I read a part of Ayatollah Sistani's "Islamic Laws" in which it says :

"161. When a thing which has become najis with urine, is to be made Pak with water less than Kurr, it should be poured once, and as water flows off eliminating all the traces of urine, the thing will become Pak. But if dress or body has become najis be cause of urine, it must be washed twice so that it is Pak. When a cloth or a carpet and similar things are made Pak with water which is less than Kurr, it must be wrung, or squeezed, till the water remaining in it runs out."

and

"163. If anything becomes najis with najasat other than urine, it becomes Pak by first removing the najasat and then pouring under Kurr water once, allowing it to flow off. But, if it is a dress etc, it should be squeezed so that the remaining water should flow off."

Both these quotes indicate that regardless of what najasat is on the clothes, while being washed with under-kurr water they must be wrung so that the remaining water comes out. I don't know much about washing machines and how they work but I don't think that while being washed the clothes are wrung, of course I could be wrong. This would then mean that the clothes aren't being made pak. Of course, all this is dependant on whether or not the water that is being used in the washing machine is under-kurr, if it is not then it states in Islamic Laws that :

"164. If it is proposed to make Pak a mat, woven with thread, it should be immersed in Kurr or running water. When the essential najasat disappears from it, it will be Pak. But if one uses under Kurr water for making it Pak, then it must be wrung or sq ueezed in whatever way possible, even by passing it under the feet, till water in it runs off."

This shows that when a cloth is immersed in Kurr-water or running water and the essential najasat is removed from it, then the cloth would become pak.

So I guess it comes down to whether the water used in a washing machine is kurr, running or under-kurr; if it is under-kurr then the clothes won't become pak - unless it is proven that the clothes are wrung - and if the water is kurr and/or running then the clothes would become pak.

So my question is whether or not clothes become pak after being washed in a washing machine?

Jazak'Allah Khairun

Edited by MFAHH

(salam)

bro this is confusing

here's a reply to a question i once sent to Sayyed Sistani (HA) (i still have it saved in my inbox)

--------------------------------

Question : Does a washing machine purify clothes? If the clothes were najis

because of urine, semen, blood, or they were touched by a kafir\'s hands

(while wet), will they become tahir after being washed in the washing

machine?

Wassalam

Answer : In the name of Allah, the Most High

Yes, they become clean (taher).

Wassalam

does anybody have any knowledge on this issue?

Edited by 14infallibles

(salam)

bro this is confusing

here's a reply to a question i once sent to Sayyed Sistani (HA) (i still have it saved in my inbox)

Question : Does a washing machine purify clothes? If the clothes were najis

because of urine, semen, blood, or they were touched by a kafir\'s hands

(while wet), will they become tahir after being washed in the washing

machine?

Wassalam

Answer : In the name of Allah, the Most High

Yes, they become clean (taher).

Wassalam

does anybody have any knowledge on this issue?

(wasalam)

Thanks for the input brother, yes this is a very confusing issue.

Maybe it depends on the type of washing machine one has. :wacko:

Edited by MFAHH

Thanks for the input brother, yes this is a very confusing issue.

Maybe it depends on the type of washing machine one has. :wacko:

(salam)

either way, i really hope the ruling is that they do become tahir because wow... that would be so hard to manually purify my clothes before washing them ...

Edited by 14infallibles

(salam),

Yes, washing in a washing machine is sufficient, I believe:

Q4: An electrically-operated washing machine can dry clothes, after the water supply is cut off from it, due to the power of spinning rather than squeezing. Is that enough for their ritual purification (tathir)?

A: Yes, that is enough for their ritual purification. (FM, p. 398)

http://al-sistani.org/local.php?modules=nav&nid=2&bid=61&pid=3165

b. Using washing machines

The ruling applicable to a washing machine is that of kurr water.[142] Thus, an item that has become najis by semen can be put directly into the washing machine, and as long as there is no trace of semen left after the cycle is completed, then the item is deemed to have become ritually clean, and it does need to be washed again, or squeezed and wrung.

However, as a precautionary measure, it may be a good idea to make the najis clothing ritually clean first (per above) and then put it into the washing machine, because if one puts the item straight into the washing machine and for whatever reason the semen still remains on the clothing after the wash it will not become ritually clean, and if that clothing comes into contact with other wet clothes those clothes will also become najis.

http://www.al-islam.org/heavenlypath/4.htm#4

wa (salam)

(salam),

Yes, washing in a washing machine is sufficient, I believe:

Q4: An electrically-operated washing machine can dry clothes, after the water supply is cut off from it, due to the power of spinning rather than squeezing. Is that enough for their ritual purification (tathir)?

A: Yes, that is enough for their ritual purification. (FM, p. 398)

http://al-sistani.org/local.php?modules=nav&nid=2&bid=61&pid=3165

b. Using washing machines

The ruling applicable to a washing machine is that of kurr water.[142] Thus, an item that has become najis by semen can be put directly into the washing machine, and as long as there is no trace of semen left after the cycle is completed, then the item is deemed to have become ritually clean, and it does need to be washed again, or squeezed and wrung.

However, as a precautionary measure, it may be a good idea to make the najis clothing ritually clean first (per above) and then put it into the washing machine, because if one puts the item straight into the washing machine and for whatever reason the semen still remains on the clothing after the wash it will not become ritually clean, and if that clothing comes into contact with other wet clothes those clothes will also become najis.

http://www.al-islam.org/heavenlypath/4.htm#4

wa (salam)

(wasalam)

Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful.

Another question that comes to mind is whether or not the water that is used to clean the clothes is considered pure water as when we wash clothes we usually put in detergents, clothe softeners etc, so would that mean that the clothes actually aren't becoming pak as pure, unmixed water isn't being used?

Edited by MFAHH

^ Hmm... good question, since often so much detergent is used, that it can no longer be called 'water', making it Ma 'ul muzaf which can not purify Najasat.

http://www.najaf.org all the way! ;)

(salam)

Detergent in this context doesn't nullify the tahara process, there is sufficient water to purify the najasat.

(wasalam)

(salam)

Detergent in this context doesn't nullify the tahara process, there is sufficient water to purify the najasat.

(wasalam)

(salam)

bro are you 100% sure about this?

lol i don't wanna find out that all this time my clothes have been najis....

@ haidar: The quantity of the water doesn't matter. If it is mixed with something, and can not be called water, it loses its purification quality.

Mix water with detergent. It goes all blue and cloudy, and then it's just good for cleaning.

(salam)

Just clean your Najis clothes in a washing machine, without adding detergent. That way, they'll become Pak, without you having to worry. :)

Edited by Basim Ali

@ haidar: The quantity of the water doesn't matter. If it is mixed with something, and can not be called water, it loses its purification quality.

Mix water with detergent. It goes all blue and cloudy, and then it's just good for cleaning.

Just clean your Najis clothes in a washing machine, without adding detergent. That way, they'll become Pak, without you having to worry. :)

(salam)

The detergent doesn't matter because there is enough water so that it becomes kurr. It really doesn't matter because there is a rinse cycle (with only pure water) in most washing machines these days.

(wasalam)

(salam)

(salam)

One word of advice my brother, if you stay away from iraqis you will virtually never get najis. ;) jks

(wasalam)

Edited by haidar al karrar

(salam)

One word of advice my brother, if you stay away from iraqis you will virtually never get najis. ;) jks

(wasalam)

(wasalam)

BRO!!! one of the main reasons why my clothes becomes najis is because of this atheist at my school

Allah YEL3AN YAZID wats up with this guy and touching me when his hands are wet :mad:

Edited by 14infallibles

(wasalam)

BRO!!! one of the main reasons why my clothes becomes najis is because of this atheist at my school

Allah YEL3AN YAZID wats up with this guy and touching me when his hands are wet :mad:

(salam)

Thats why you keep your tatbeer sword handy. :Hijabi: But honestly, next time he touches you just grab him and throw him to the ground. :yaali:

(wasalam)

(wasalam)

Edited by haidar al karrar

(salam)

Thats why you keep your tatbeer sword handy. :Hijabi: But honestly, next time he touches you just grab him and throw him to the ground. :yaali:

(wasalam)

(wasalam)

(salam)

LOOOOOOL!!! man ur givin me ideas ;)

but anyways, can someone please send the question to najaf.org so i can sleep at night without worrying about najis clothes :angel:

jazakumullah khayran