Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Frosty

The Moustache

Rate this topic

9bismillah) (salam)

I know that the Muhammad (pbuh) said that it was wajib to not trim/shave the beard and let it grow and to trim the moustache. My question is what did he mean trim? Why the moustache? What specific reason are we to trim the moustache not let it go other than the propher (pbuh) said so. Another question I have is can the beard be to long and my moustache looks like this (and I'm not kidding).

4L.jpg

Is that halal? I always keep it trim and well groomed. What's the rulings on shaping up the beard and shaping it? What about styling yuor moustache, is that ok? I wonder because I don't dig the ahab beard. Also, how long is the moustache permitted to be? If you are suppose to untouched, so why is the moustache singled out for trimming if not outright shaving.

Big moustache means hair going pretty much in your mouth like the guy above. Plus its under the nose, cleaning one's nose is easier and I assume more hygienic if the moustache isn't thick.

My moustache is a lot shorter than his but I still curl it up in that fashion, I trim it so it doesn't go over my lip and it's never in my mouth, my moustache is very, very well groomed. Can you offer any sources from scholars and the like who have written about this?

Edited by Frosty

(salam),

Doesn't a long moustache start curling, by itself? Long moustaches are specifically forbidden:

In the book al-Muntaqa the following has been reported:

“Chosroe (Kasra the king of Persia) once sent two of his ambassadors to the Holy Prophet (p.b.u.h). When they approached him, he looked at their moustaches and saw that they were very lengthy and they had no beards, thus, he turned to them and said:

“Woe, be to you regarding what you have performed” (i.e. having shaved their beards).

They said:

“Our master commanded us to do this”,

the Holy Prophet (p.b.u.h) then said:

“My Master, the Blessed, the Exalted, commanded me to wear my beard and trim my moustache”.

As for the wisdom behind it, perhaps it is because it was [might still be, I don't know] a typical Jewish practice to shave the beard - again, according to a tradition.

wa (salam)

Edited by Basim Ali

Big moustache, curling and all, are considered very 'prideful' by men and sign of 'manly' too, which I assume isn't favorable in our religion, they have a saying in Urdu/Punjabi, MUCH NAHI TOU KUCH NAHI, most of pathans are very strict about their moustache too, curling it and all but without a beard. I don't have anything from scholars about this. You should send the question to them i.e. Ayatullahs.

I have read a hadith that says a community of people in the past were changed into monkeys becoz they used to clean shave the beard and keep big moustache

Source?

In traditional Judaism/Jewish culture and in modern Orthodox Jewry, frum (observant) Jewish males don't shave the beard or moustache, so I don't think the basis of this sunnah would be that. I should probably email a marja about this, basically what I am asking is what is considered a "trim," moustache and at what point, length, or whatever would it be considered untrim. My beard itself is around 5-6 inches at the moment, so no worries there, but my moustache (in my opinion) is trim and well groomed even though I can and do curl the ends. The hadith that has been posted, I interpreted the main error that was pointed out was that the beard was shaven and the moustache was large, bushy, and ungroomed/trimmed.

^ isnt that fist long from his chin?

In a book Tehzibul Islam volume 1 It is said that it should neither be too long nor too short makruh in some riwayat to be longer than the fist and in some riwayat considered haram.

The story about the Persian emissaries with the big mustaches is a fabrication of the Umayyad period, made to foster anti-Persian sentiment. Mu'awiya, Yazid and Marwan were all evil people who killed and oppressed the Ahlul-bayt, but let's not forget they were also RACISTS who though Arabs were superior to everyone else, and they hated Persians in particular. Abdul Malik was just as bad, he killed over 100,000 Persians in a week and rejoiced over the deed by getting drunk! Such was the manner of the lying hypocritical Umayyad caliphs.

Persian men traditionally always grew beards, look at the carvings at Persepolis, everyone has a beard! And the mustaches are pretty small:

tehranmuseum7.jpg

Iran-persepolis_relief-s0.JPG

ASC3665.jpg

stock-photo-ancient-bas-reliefs-of-persepolis-iran-11182375.jpg

relief.jpg

So as you can see, Persians DID grow beards in the "Islamic" manner (with short trimmed mustaches) well before the Prophet's (pbuh) time. Even before the time of Isa (as) they had the Islamic beard already there.

Edited by Shia Shahid

Guest Nargela

9bismillah) (salam)

I know that the Muhammad (pbuh) said that it was wajib to not trim/shave the beard and let it grow and to trim the moustache. My question is what did he mean trim? Why the moustache? What specific reason are we to trim the moustache not let it go other than the propher (pbuh) said so. Another question I have is can the beard be to long and my moustache looks like this (and I'm not kidding).

4L.jpg

Is that halal? I always keep it trim and well groomed. What's the rulings on shaping up the beard and shaping it? What about styling yuor moustache, is that ok? I wonder because I don't dig the ahab beard. Also, how long is the moustache permitted to be? If you are suppose to untouched, so why is the moustache singled out for trimming if not outright shaving.

all this can be answered at sistani.org i guess idk

^ isnt that fist long from his chin?

In a book Tehzibul Islam volume 1 It is said that it should neither be too long nor too short makruh in some riwayat to be longer than the fist and in some riwayat considered haram.

Your post seems critisizing Ayatullah Sistani AR (as in picture).

Please be careful, he is Maraja-e-Taqleed and much more learnt than us, even he read the Ahadees books.

(wasalam)

Cool moustache lol.

The picture isn't of me or my stache. His is pretty sloppy actually I just wanted to show the style I was referencing too.

The picture isn't of me or my stache. His is pretty sloppy actually I just wanted to show the style I was referencing too.

So your moustache is cooler than his!!! :o And I thought that you can't get any better.

Edited by MFAHH

So your moustache is cooler than his!!! :o And I thought that you can't get any better.

My moustache is cooler than Dali's son. ;)

(salam)

Al-Saduq sites a narration of the Holy Prophet (pbuh) in which he states:

“Trim your moustaches & let your beards grow & do not emulate the Jews”

I recall reading a hadith from the Imams that forbade making the moustache curl as seen in the picture, I have no hope for finding where I read it it was aaages ago, sorry! Best to check with marja.

I recall reading a hadith from the Imams that forbade making the moustache curl as seen in the picture, I have no hope for finding where I read it it was aaages ago, sorry! Best to check with marja.

AH! Remember brother, remember! :squeez:

Do you perhaps remember which collection the hadith came from? I probably should just email Imam Sistani, but this hadith interests me, thank you for mentioning it at any rate.

bro its a common sense call; do what looks neat and tidy for you. mine is just the same length as the rest of my beard (1.5 blade on the trimming machine) and cleaned up round the edges with a razor.

Edited by inshaAllah
Much naee tay kuch naee ! :D

Your post seems critisizing Ayatullah Sistani AR (as in picture).Please be careful, he is Maraja-e-Taqleed and much more learnt than us, even he read the Ahadees books.

You have misread her post sis. She is saying that Sistani's beard is not longer than the fist. The photo if you observe carefully proves that the beard is perfect fist long. She has not criticized but praised him. May Allah prolong his life.

Edited by ali the lion

It isn't cooler than Chuck Norris's

chuck_norris.jpg

Mashallah!

I have already carved Norris' heart out of his chest and ate it to assume his power therefore I am cooler than Norris in every aspect.

Hadiths to consider:

66 Ü ÈÇÈ ÇÓÊÍÈÇÈ ÇáÃÎÐ ãä ÇáÔÇÑÈ ¡ æÍÏ Ðáß æßÑÇåÉÇØÇáÊå æßÐÇ ÔÚÑ ÇáÚÇäÉ æÇáÇÈØ

66 – Chapter on the desirability of clipping the mustache, the bound of that, and the dislike of lengthening it, and likewise the pubic and armpit hair

[1650] 1 Ü ãÍãÏ Èä íÚÞæÈ ¡ Úä ãÍãÏ Èä íÍíì ¡ Úä ÇáÚãÑßí Èä Úáí ¡ Úä Úáí Èä ÌÚÝÑ ¡ Úä ÃÎíå ÃÈí ÇáÍÓä ( Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã ) ÞÇá : ÓÃáÊå Úä ÞÕ ÇáÔÇÑÈ Ããä ÇáÓäÉ ¿ ÞÇá : äÚã.

æÑæÇå Úáí Èä ÌÚÝÑ Ýí ßÊÇÈå ¡ ãËáå.

1 – Muhammad b. Ya`qub from Muhammad b. Yahya from al-`Amraki b. `Ali from `Ali b. Ja`far from his brother Abu ‘l-Hasan Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã. He said: I asked him about trimming the mustache, is it from the Sunna? He said: Yes.

And `Ali b. Ja`far narrated it in his book likewise.

[1651] 2 Ü æÚä Úáí Èä ÅÈÑÇåíã ¡ Úä ÃÈíå ¡ Úä ÇáäæÝáí ¡ Úä ÇáÓßæäí ¡ Úä ÃÈí ÚÈÏÇááå ( Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã ) ÞÇá : ÞÇá ÑÓæá Çááå ( Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÇáå ) : ãä ÇáÓäÉ Ãä ÊÃÎÐ ãä ÇáÔÇÑÈ ÍÊì íÈáÛ ÇáÅØÇÑ.

2 – And from `Ali b. Ibrahim from his father from an-Nawfali from as-Sakuni from Abu `Abdillah Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã. He said: The Messenger of Allah Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÂáå said: That you clip from the mustache until it reaches the circumference (?) is from the Sunna.

[1652] 3 Ü æÈåÐÇ ÇáÅÓäÇÏ ÞÇá : ÞÇá ÑÓæá Çááå ( Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÂáå ) : áÇ íØæáä ÃÍÏßã ÔÇÑÈå ÝÅä ÇáÔíØÇä íÊÎÐå ãÎÈÆÇð íÓÊÊÑ Èå.

æÑæÇå ÇáÕÏæÞ ãÑÓáÇ ¡ ãËáå.

3 – And by this isnad. He said: The Messenger of Allah Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÂáå said: Do not lengthen any one of you his mustache, for verily Shaytan takes it as a hiding place, concealing himself by it.

And as-Saduq narrated it in a mursal fashion likewise.

[1653] 4 Ü æÚä ãÍãÏ Èä íÍíì ¡ Úä ÃÍãÏ Èä ãÍãÏ ¡ Úä ÇÈä ÝÖÇá ¡ Úãä ÐßÑå ¡ Úä ÃÈí ÚÈÏÇááå ( Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã ) ÞÇá : ÐßÑäÇ ÇáÃÎÐ ãä ÇáÔÇÑÈ ¡ ÝÞÇá : äÔÑÉ ¡ æåæ ãä ÇáÓäÉ.

4 – And from Muhammad b. Yahya from Ahmad b. Muhammad from Ibn Faddal from the one who he mentioned from Abu `Abdillah Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã. He said: We mentioned the removing of the mustache. So he said: A nushra (a charm or amulet by which a sick, possessed or mad person is healed), and it is from the Sunna.

[1654] 5 Ü æÚä ÚÏÉ ãä ÃÕÍÇÈäÇ ¡ Úä ÃÍãÏ Èä ÃÈí ÚÈÏÇááå ¡ Úä ÈÚÖ ÃÕÍÇÈäÇ ¡ Úä Úáí Èä ÃÓÈÇØ ¡ Úä ÚÈÏÇááå Èä ÚËãÇä Ãäå ÑÃì ÃÈÇ ÚÈÏÇááå ( Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã ) ÃÍÝì ÔÇÑÈå ÍÊì ÇáÕÞå ÈÇáÚÓíÈ.

5 – And from a number of our companions from Ahmad b. Abi `Abdillah from one of our companions from `Ali b. Asbat from `Abdullah b. `Uthman that he saw Abu `Abdillah Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã clipping his mustache until he fastened it to the `aseeb (?).

[1655] 6 Ü ãÍãÏ Èä Úáí Èä ÇáÍÓíä Ýí ( ÇáÚáá ) : Úä ãÍãÏ Èä Úáí ãÇÌíáæíå ¡ Úä Úáí Èä ÅÈÑÇåíã ¡ Úä ÃÈíå ¡ Úä ÇáÍÓíä Èä íÒíÏ ¡ Úä ÅÓãÇÚíá Èä ãÓáã ¡ Úä ÌÚÝÑ Èä ãÍãÏ ¡ Úä ÂÈÇÆå ( Úáíåã ÇáÓáÇã ) ¡ Úä ÇáäÈí ( Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÂáå ) ÞÇá : áÇ íØæáä ÃÍÏßã ÔÇÑÈå æáÇ ÔÚÑ ÅÈØíå ¡ æáÇ ÚÇäÊå ¡ ÝÅä ÇáÔíØÇä íÊÎÐåÇ ãÎÈÆÇ íÓÊÊÑÈåÇ.

6 – Muhammad b. `Ali b. al-Husayn in al-`Ilal from Muhammad b. `Ali Majilawayh from `Ali b. Ibrahim from his father from al-Husayn b. Yazid from Isma`il b. Muslim from Ja`far b. Muhammad from his fathers Úáíåã ÇáÓáÇã from the Prophet Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÂáå. He said: Do not lengthen any one of you his mustache nor the hair of his armpits nor his pubic hair for verily Shaytan takes it has a hiding place, concealing himself by it.

[1656] 7 Ü ÇáÍÓä ÇáØÈÑÓí Ýí ( ãßÇÑã ÇáÃÎáÇÞ ) : Úä ÇáÕÇÏÞ ( Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã ) ÞÇá : ßÇä ÔÑíÚÉ ÅÈÑÇåíã ( Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã ) ÇáÊæÍíÏ æÇáÅÎáÇÕ Ü Åáì Ãä ÞÇá Ü æÒÇÏå Ýí ÇáÍäíÝíÉ ÇáÎÊÇä ¡ æÞÕ ÇáÔÇÑÈ ¡ æäÊÝ ÇáÅÈØ ¡ æÊÞáíã ÇáÃÙÝÇÑ ¡ æÍáÞ ÇáÚÇäÉ ¡ æÃãÑå ÈÈäÇÁ ÇáÈíÊ ¡ æÇáÍÌ ¡ æÇáãäÇÓß ¡ ÝåÐå ßáåÇ ÔÑíÚÊå.

7 – al-Hasan at-Tabrisi in Makarim al-Akhlaq from as-Sadiq Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã. He said: The shari`a of Ibrahim Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã was tawhid and sincerity – until he said: And He added in the Hanafiyya: circumcision, trimming the mustache, tweezing the armpit, trimming the nails, shaving the pubic hair, and He commanded him to build the House, and the hajj, and the rites. So all of this was his shari`a.

[1657] 8 Ü æÚäå ( Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã ) ÞÇá : ÞÇá Çááå ÚÒ æÌá áÅÈÑÇåíã : « ÊØåÑ » ÝÃÎÐ ÔÇÑÈå ¡ Ëã ÞÇá : « ÊØåÑ » ÝäÊÝ ãä ÅÈØíå ¡ Ëã ÞÇá :« ÊØåÑ » ÝÞáã ÃÙÝÇÑå ¡ Ëã ÞÇá : « ÊØåÑ » ÝÍáÞ ÚÇäÊå ¡ Ëã ÞÇá : « ÊØåÑ » ÝÇÎÊÊä.

8 – And from him Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã. He said: Allah ÚÒ æÌá said to Ibrahim “Be purified”, so he clipped his mustache. Then He said “Be purified”, so he plucked his armpits. Then He said “Be purified”, so he trimmed his nails. Then He said “Be purified”, so he shaved his pubic hair. Then he said “Be purified” so he was circumcised.

http://www.*******.org/hadiths/tahara/personal-hygiene/clipping-the-mustache

bro macisaac, are there any hadiths about trimming/ shaping the beard so the moustache and beard are both the same length, but short? so that way you have a trimmed moustache and also have a full beard (mine is an equal number 1.5 blade for the whole beard)