Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy

Breakfast Eggs?

Rate this topic

(salam)

Which is your favorite and why?

A. Sunny side up/down

Sunny_side_up_by_yomi955.jpg

B. Scrambled

scrambled-eggs.jpg

C. Omelettes

544-besanEggOmelete.jpg

At one point in my life, I only liked to have my eggs as in A. :huh:

As for B, I used to think only lazy people eat scrambled eggs. Obviously, I was completely wrong :blush:

The best thing about Omelette © is that it is a meal in itself (when served with toast).

How about you? Do you go for any other style?

I like it best as in first pic, half fried, salted and black peppered with a couple of thin, crispy butter parathas, over a double cup of boiling desi tea. Yum yum. That is the best* breakfast one can possibly have to start a day-full. That is "full desi" so to speak.

I would go for scrambled anytime. Tastes good.

I am no fan of plain desi style omelette though, but I like Italian omelette that is made with cheese and some nice veg in it.

Currently, I am suffering from "healthy diet syndrome" and therefore do my utmost to avoid yolk. So these days I take 3 or 4 egg whites in breakfast, a couple of stir fried chicken shami kebabs with a compulsory cup of tea made with tasteless skimmed milk and no sugar.

Look at the things in italics above. It ruins your breakfast. Egg isn't an egg without its yolk, kebabs are not kebabs unless deep fried, tea isn't tea with skimmed milk and sugar absent. :(

< * best as taste wise; not so much as health wise >

Edited by Marbles

For me A. is the best. I like the yolk part slightly runny. Accompanied by quick fried or grilled tomatoes (thick round slices) and mushrooms with loads of black pepper and herbs......mmmmm! No need for toast as I am not a fan of bread.

^^lol, who doesn't like bread?   

as for eggs, sunny side up for me, but i am hardly particular.  vegi omelettes are great and so are soft poached.  tobasco sauce all around.

marbles, are you sure egg yolks are bad for you?  i cannot imagine eating a yolkless egg.

marbles, are you sure egg yolks are bad for you?  i cannot imagine eating a yolkless egg.

I know mate. Yolkless eggs are a mockery of eggs. I am just avoiding as much fat as I can.

Marbles,

Thank your for making me feel so guilty. I’ll probably not eat another egg until….God knows when. :mad:

BTW, I knew eggs contain a lot of Cholesterol but I did not know that 1 large egg (50g) contains 211.5mg or 71% of the daily serving for cholesterol. Yikes! :squeez:

Br Basim,

Hard-boiled eggs for breakfast? How do you serve them? Do you spice them up? I know boiled eggs are not my favorite because they are tasteless (by itself). And boiling eggs is no fun than let say cooking eggs on a skillet, but probably more healthier since you are not using oil/butter for frying.

What on earth are eggs in Basket?

Making_eggs_in_basket.jpg

Japanese shredded eggs anyone?

Kinshi-Tamago-Shredded-Egg-Crepe.jpg

If I'm having eggs for breakfast then I will have either A, C, boiled eggs orrrr french toast:

french35543075.jpg

Or I will have eggs cooked with tomato/onions/mushroom/meat/capsicum/whatever's in the fridge. Never have scrambled eggs.

(salam),

Br Basim,

Hard-boiled eggs for breakfast? How do you serve them? Do you spice them up? I know boiled eggs are not my favorite because they are tasteless (by itself). And boiling eggs is no fun than let say cooking eggs on a skillet, but probably more healthier since you are not using oil/butter for frying.

I don't know. Ask my Mom. :P

From what I've seen, when there is absolutely nothing to eat, people boil eggs, cut them in half, sprinkle pepper over them and eat them with toast. That's just the breakfast. Hard-boiled eggs are more often served in dinners. People put them in Biryani and what not :squeez:. Though, I eat them in a special kind of curry. That's the only way my Mom can make me eat eggs :D. Eggs are so not my thing.

wa (salam)

^^lol, who doesn't like bread?   

Apparently only me :(

And its not just bread, but bready items.

A burger is wasted on me

I eat sandwiches purely for their convenience and where I have no choice....but if its a really grainy bread then I could be ok with it.

My favorite pizza is "only topping", but that would be kind of hard to order, so real thin crust has to be the one for me.

I know mate. Yolkless eggs are a mockery of eggs. I am just avoiding as much fat as I can.

An egg contains a lot of the major nutrients except I think vitamin C. Most of the nutrition is actually found in the yolk. So the whites you are eating not only are tasteless, but also much less nutritional value than the yolk. Nature intended that the whole egg should be eaten, I guess. Eggs do have cholesterol, yes. But they are low in saturated fat. You actually need to avoid saturated and trans fats.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

I would not entirely avoid yolks, but perhaps have them boiled or poached not more than 2-3 times a week. You could make a tasty boiled egg sandwich using high fibre bread, sun-dried tomatoes, paste of crushed olives mixed in olive oil, and perhaps few green chillies, salt, pepper. Olives and olive oil will raise the good cholesterol levels and decrease bad cholesterol levels. Enjoy :)

The best of all is crispy French toasts. Why? Because it tastes really good, easy to make, love the taste of butter with crispy toast, smells delicious.

Second, comes image A, I avoid it though cause raw yolk makes the plate messy.

Third, scrambled with cheddar-cheese squares melted on it. Yum.

Plain eggs with honey is another yummy in my list of yums.

Boiled eggs are the worst in taste.

egg-11.jpg

Favourite egg.........with toast cut in fingers for dipping.

That's one of my favourites since childhood but we eat it without toast fingers, we use a cup spoon and yum it.

Wow that has just made me hungry lol. Personally I like all of them! I also like Iranian style omelets with tomatoes and turmeric mixed in it :)

Sister, we had that for dinner last night and it was so delicious. I told my husband, I know you put in turmeric, what else did you add? He said mild curry powder along with the turmeric. Served with rice. I wonder if it was this topic that made me say, Let's make omelet for dinner? I think it was! We only eat this once or twice a month, though, and eggs for breakfast only on Sundays. Hey, everyone is cutting down on their cholesterol!  :)

An egg contains a lot of the major nutrients except I think vitamin C. Most of the nutrition is actually found in the yolk. So the whites you are eating not only are tasteless, but also much less nutritional value than the yolk. Nature intended that the whole egg should be eaten, I guess. Eggs do have cholesterol, yes. But they are low in saturated fat. You actually need to avoid saturated and trans fats.

I would not entirely avoid yolks, but perhaps have them boiled or poached not more than 2-3 times a week. You could make a tasty boiled egg sandwich using high fibre bread, sun-dried tomatoes, paste of crushed olives mixed in olive oil, and perhaps few green chillies, salt, pepper. Olives and olive oil will raise the good cholesterol levels and decrease bad cholesterol levels. Enjoy :)

My avid egg eating could be characterised as more than mild addiction. I used to refuse breakfast if I would not get, besides other things, at least two [often three] fried eggs with oozy yolks in my plate every morning. That I found out to be too much and hence I decided to control it. I think my yolk rejection is an act of penance lol. It's been over a month I have not tasted a yolk. Hmmm Maybe in tomorrow morning's breakfast.

The boiled egg sandwich you mentioned is my favourite. I don't make them though. Mom is good at this job. :Hijabi:

The best of all is crispy French toasts. Why? Because it tastes really good, easy to make, love the taste of butter with crispy toast, smells delicious.

Second, comes image A, I avoid it though cause raw yolk makes the plate messy.

Third, scrambled with cheddar-cheese squares melted on it. Yum.

Plain eggs with honey is another yummy in my list of yums.

Boiled eggs are the worst in taste.

Couldn't agree more. Eating hard boiled egg, as we say it in local idiom, is a sin without enjoyment. You eat the thing, yet you can't tell if you have eaten lol. But they aren't as bad if supplemented with other food. The desi dish that Basim has described above called Aloo anday shorba [Potato Egg Curry] tastes good with round cut pieces of boiled egg in it.

French toast brings back old memories. I have not eaten them since I left high school. Mum used to pack us with French toast for lunch in school. But then it went out of our menu and never returned. Here, I think, French toast is taken to be the food of the school-goer kids just like candies, French fries and bars of chocolate.

egg-11.jpg

Wow. That is to me the most unusual way of eating eggs. It looks half boiled? Where is the egg white and how d'you eat it?

(bismillah)

(salam)

Sister, we had that for dinner last night and it was so delicious. I told my husband, I know you put in turmeric, what else did you add? He said mild curry powder along with the turmeric. Served with rice. I wonder if it was this topic that made me say, Let's make omelet for dinner? I think it was! We only eat this once or twice a month, though, and eggs for breakfast only on Sundays. Hey, everyone is cutting down on their cholesterol! :)

Salam,

When my mum makes it it's so nice! Mild curry powder is good especially for my mum who can't stand spicy food because she's too Iranian :lol: I usually have eggs with bread but when my mum makes Sheeveed rice with black eyed beans , I don't know the english translation for sheeveed , eggs made with butter is delicious with it. I usually have eggs on Sunday as well because during the weekdays I never have time to eat proper breakfast.

LOL I think everyone should cut down on their cholesterol , boiled eggs seems like a good start :)

egg-11.jpg

I've never known how to make this kind of egg...

(salam),

I don't know. Ask my Mom. :P

From what I've seen, when there is absolutely nothing to eat, people boil eggs, cut them in half, sprinkle pepper over them and eat them with toast. That's just the breakfast. Hard-boiled eggs are more often served in dinners. People put them in Biryani and what not :squeez:. Though, I eat them in a special kind of curry. That's the only way my Mom can make me eat eggs :D. Eggs are so not my thing.

wa (salam)

That's how I eat boiled eggs too. I can always resort to eggs when there's nothing else to eat :lol:

(salam)

Raw eggs, Maryam? Isn’t that a health risk?

Is that a runny yolk in that poached eggs? Poached eggs are so hard to make. Oh! this reminds me of Egg Drop Soup.

33133.jpg

I also have eggs on Sunday for breakfast. It is more like a brunch (10.30am-11am) with toast, right after a cup of black tea.

Eggs are easy to make and really convenient.

Ditto +++

Dear Marbles

Yolks contain a lot of fat soluble vitamins. Fats are essential and you can get them from avacado, nuts etc, as well. As always, moderation is the key - maybe one egg yolk with 3 egg whites in an omelette. Egg whites are good as they are a good source of protein.

The fat used to fry the egg whites in is probably worse for us - if we choose to fry. I would avoid fried foods to avoid the fat or at least minimize the oil.

To lose fat on your body and to feel good in general - cut down on ANYTHING made with white sugar, white flour, white rice or potato - it is surprising how often these things are hidden in our general diet. Get the vast majority of your carbs from vegetables, legumes and beans. Fruit in moderation as it is really high in sugar. Broil meat and steam fish and add fresh herbs and add good quality olive oil for dressing, after they are cooked, for flavour. Exercise 30 - 60 minutes a day (could just be as little as a couple of good walks) and do some stretches (a short yoga routine would help - just 10 minutes a day will make a difference).

Desi fried gooped up foods and those with sugar based sauces are tasty but ....nothing, NOTHING, tastes as good or feels as good as having a svelte flexible body...which is what I tell myself as I reach for poatato chips - my weakness, that, and chocolate.... :(

RE: my egg :angel:

Wow. That is to me the most unusual way of eating eggs. It looks half boiled? Where is the egg white and how d'you eat it?

(salam)

Raw eggs, Maryam? Isn’t that a health risk?

That egg is a little too runny for me (I think it IS cooked but not quite enough) - I like the egg runny and the whites solid - but it was the only close up pic I could find. When I grew up, I had an egg boiled for 4 minutes, put in an egg cup and the top was taken off and then a little piece of butter (!), salt and pepper were added. I had some kind of unbuttered flat bread toasted and cut in fingers and you dip the toast in the yolk and eat it and then scoop out the white part with a spoon. I don’t like fried eggs probably because I never had them so to me they seem really gross - glistening with oil. :sick:

I also like poached eggs on toast.

PoachEgg2.jpg

This is exactly like I like them - and that is what I have when I go to a restaurant because I haven’t mastered the technique at home.

Edited by Maryaam

(salam)

What exactly is an Omelette? There are so many varieties of Omelette. I don’t think I have tried all. Usually, I chop bell pepper and mushrooms and mix with eggs in a bowl and sprinkle some salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and other spices. Served with tomatoes and lettuce on the side with a slice of toast. You can even assemble everything and make it into a sandwich.

So many types of Omelette: Iran, Chinese, French, Italian, Indian, Spanish, Philippines, and Indonesian.

There is one type of Omelette that I cannot tolerate, “The Frittata”. It taste so odd. :huh:

Indian Omelette

Indian_Omelette.jpg

Salam,

When my mum makes it it's so nice! Mild curry powder is good especially for my mum who can't stand spicy food because she's too Iranian :lol: I usually have eggs with bread but when my mum makes Sheeveed rice with black eyed beans , I don't know the english translation for sheeveed , eggs made with butter is delicious with it. I usually have eggs on Sunday as well because during the weekdays I never have time to eat proper breakfast.

LOL I think everyone should cut down on their cholesterol , boiled eggs seems like a good start :)

Sheeveed is Dill Weed. Very good smell and taste. I know one Iranian family who sprinkles dried marjoram on scrambled eggs. That is a very distinctive taste. One Iraqi family squeezes fresh lemon juice on their fried eggs. Interesting. I think every family has their own style.

Has anyone tried this. Very delicious. You can put a tomato sauce or honey. Can keep you full for half a day! :D

Br. Ali lion, what do you call that, and what are the ingredients?

Br. Ali lion, what do you call that, and what are the ingredients?

I call it "zege" or "concrete". It is two raw eggs beaten and then mixed with fried chips and then fried. Children love it. It keeps them away from hunger for a long time. It can be eaten with chapati or bread slice. Salt, black pepper, honey or tomato sauce can be put after it is fried.

Edited by ali the lion

Dear Marbles

Yolks contain a lot of fat soluble vitamins. Fats are essential and you can get them from avacado, nuts etc, as well. As always, moderation is the key - maybe one egg yolk with 3 egg whites in an omelette. Egg whites are good as they are a good source of protein.

The fat used to fry the egg whites in is probably worse for us - if we choose to fry. I would avoid fried foods to avoid the fat or at least minimize the oil.

To lose fat on your body and to feel good in general - cut down on ANYTHING made with white sugar, white flour, white rice or potato - it is surprising how often these things are hidden in our general diet. Get the vast majority of your carbs from vegetables, legumes and beans. Fruit in moderation as it is really high in sugar. Broil meat and steam fish and add fresh herbs and add good quality olive oil for dressing, after they are cooked, for flavour. Exercise 30 - 60 minutes a day (could just be as little as a couple of good walks) and do some stretches (a short yoga routine would help - just 10 minutes a day will make a difference).

SC Resident Health Adviser, thank you. :angel:

I have noted that to loose fat and the round belly that I have, I have to give up virtually everything that, to me, tastes good. All I knew that yolks are fat and they taste gooood and so I gave up LOL. I have come to the conclusion that every food that is good for my body is actually the worst in taste. You say no sweet dishes, no roti, no chawal, no fried stuff? You are talking about virtually banning my daily intake. :( - Vegetables are good, of course, and I like them too. But the trouble is the method of preparation. Our cooked vegetables swim in pool of oil which makes it more unhealthy to eat. As for boiled and steamed vegetables, I eat them but I eat them with disgust one would get if one is fed with rat food. Meat is awesome too. Yummy protein. But it has the same recipe problems as vegetables.

Can I ever loose fat? The answer is no - unless I impose a ban on my culinary sensibilities, which, I think I have. Sugar [including most fruits], pasta, potato, flour, rice, whether white or brown or black, and anything related to it, as well as fried stuff is out of my diet. That is my trainer's idea. He refused to help build my biceps if I didn't follow his diet advice, part of which was that, symbolically peaking, fat and sugar intake ≤ 0.1% of total calorie intake.

I don’t like fried eggs probably because I never had them so to me they seem really gross - glistening with oil.

Yum yum. You get perrrrfect semi-thick, semi-runny yolks if fried in half a pan of oil. Eggs don't absorb oil so it is not terribly fatty when you take out the cooked egg. Make sure to hold your artwork at the edge of the pan to get rid of the excess oil before transporting your egg to the plate.

You can what is called shallow fry your egg in lightly glazed nonstick pan. It is almost oil-less. That's how I used to make them.

legumes

Ok. I had to look it up. That sounds good. I can eat lentils, peas, beans, peanuts etc.

As for avocado, I haven't tasted that thing in my life. It is non-existent where I live. I never tried it when I was abroad because it looked like gross-skinned unripe mango. It creates in my mind an image of a hard, bitter pulp. Yuck.

[edited]

Edited by SpIzo

I call it "zege" or "concrete". It is two raw eggs beaten and then mixed with fried chips and then fried. Children love it. It keeps them away from hunger for a long time. It can be eaten with chapati or bread slice. Salt, black pepper, honey or tomato sauce can be put after it is fried.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Brother, I saw that your photo said concrete.jpg. :) I thought those looked like potatoes but was not sure. I will have to try that. I like potatoes. A house without potatoes is not a happy house. That is my motto.

Can I put salt, black pepper and a few tiny drops of Sriracha sauce instead of the tomato sauce? For tomato sauce, do you mean tomato ketchup? Here in the US, tomato ketchup is sweeter than tomato sauce. Honey sounds great, too. Whatever you like. shukran

Has anyone tried this. Very delicious. You can put a tomato sauce or honey. Can keep you full for half a day! :D

I LOVE this... it's so filling and delicious. I've never had it with honey though...

Edited by Hawraa29

[edited]

(bismillah) (salam) Brother, I saw that your photo said concrete.jpg. :) I thought those looked like potatoes but was not sure. I will have to try that. I like potatoes. A house without potatoes is not a happy house. That is my motto.Can I put salt, black pepper and a few tiny drops of Sriracha sauce instead of the tomato sauce? For tomato sauce, do you mean tomato ketchup? Here in the US, tomato ketchup is sweeter than tomato sauce. Honey sounds great, too. Whatever you like. shukran

Yes you can use ketchup if its sweet. :)

I LOVE this... it's so filling and delicious. I've never had it with honey though...

:P

Edited by SpIzo

SC Resident Health Adviser, thank you. :angel:

I have noted that to loose fat and the round belly that I have, I have to give up virtually everything that, to me, tastes good. All I knew that yolks are fat and they taste gooood and so I gave up LOL. I have come to the conclusion that every food that is good for my body is actually the worst in taste. You say no sweet dishes, no roti, no chawal, no fried stuff? You are talking about virtually banning my daily intake. :( - Vegetables are good, of course, and I like them too. But the trouble is the method of preparation. Our cooked vegetables swim in pool of oil which makes it more unhealthy to eat. As for boiled and steamed vegetables, I eat them but I eat them with disgust one would get if one is fed with rat food. Meat is awesome too. Yummy protein. But it has the same recipe problems as vegetables.

Can I ever loose fat? The answer is no - unless I impose a ban on my culinary sensibilities, which, I think I have. Sugar [including most fruits], pasta, potato, flour, rice, whether white or brown or black, and anything related to it, as well as fried stuff is out of my diet. That is my trainer's idea. He refused to help build my biceps if I didn't follow his diet advice, part of which was that, symbolically peaking, fat and sugar intake ≤ 0.1% of total calorie intake.

Instead of mourning your loss – embrace the new finds in food. :D

Foods in their natural state can be very tasty. Vegetables and meats and fish have delicate to pungent flavour and it is released if cooked gently. These flavours are often masked with strong spices in floating in oil – those foods are good too (in moderation) - but you do miss the flavour of the natural food, and so should slowly introduce them into your diet.

Avocado is delicious and its only similarity to mango is its shape (?). It has valuable essential oils and makes a healthy and delicious salad dressing or dressing for fish when blended with virgin pressed olive oil and fresh lemon and herbs.

“Avocados are a surprisingly complete food, with fourteen minerals to stimulate growth, including iron and copper for your blood. The sodium and potassium in avocados keeps your body chemically balanced, and their low sugar content and absence of starch make them an ideal fruit for diabetics or hypoglycemics (choose small slices throughout the day to keep your sugar balanced). Vitamins in avocados include A, several B-complex, C, and E, as well as phosphorus and magnesium. They’re also a great source of antioxidants like vitamins E and C.

Because of their density, avocados, like bananas, are filling. But they are also a perfectly digestible slow-burning fuel, making them ideal for replenishing nutrients for athletes. They’re a great source of fruit oil and digestible fats, and they make excellent and healthy dips for raw vegetables. When blended with fruit, they make particularly nutritious baby food.”

http://www.healthrecipes.com/avocado_information.htm

And egg yolks are not as evil as once thought – another healthy and tasty way to get what you need in nutrition. Your trainer is doing you a huge favour to tell you not to eat white carbs.