Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Muslim Wives Wearing Cosmetic Make Up

Rate this topic

bismillah.gif

"If a woman angers her husband unjustly and sleeps, Allah would not accept her prayers until the husband is content with her, and if a woman uses perfume for other than her husband, Allah would not accept her prayer until she washes it away as she washes pollution from herself."

The above hadith talks about perfume. In the 21st century, in addition to branded perfumes such as Flora by Gucci, Armani Code, Baby Doll by Yves Saint Laurent, Euphoria by Calvin Klein, women wear branded cosmetics that involve a detailed make up from the application of a foundation, blush and cheek, lip colour, lip liner, eye colour, eye liner to mascara and like. When a married Muslim woman does this, one assumes that all this effort and expense is invested for the pleasure of her husband. But one pauses to think, is it really?

Have we wondered who our women intend to please with this effort? Husbands? Other women? Work colleagues? Themselves? God? Or nobody?

Just curious.

Edited by Scimitar

• Advanced Member

When married women wear make-up publically then it probably isn't for their husbands (particularly if they rarely wear make-up inside the home lol). I think different women wear it for different reasons/people. It's hard to generalise, but usually I think it's a mixture of trying to look attractive to everyone (other women and probably other men too) and self-confidence issues.

wasalaam

When married women wear make-up publically then it probably isn't for their husbands (particularly if they rarely wear make-up inside the home lol). I think different women wear it for different reasons/people. It's hard to generalise, but usually I think it's a mixture of trying to look attractive to everyone (other women and probably other men too) and self-confidence issues.

wasalaam

I imagine it is generally a peer pressured subconscious response to a general expectation to conform and gel with the crowd. Not necessarily a deliberate arbitary effort to please anyone specific, other than the husband. But even so, how does that measure up against the above hadith?

• Advanced Member

I have worn make up all my life, since I was seventeen and a model. I am never seen without at least eyeliner, that's who I am. My husband loves to see me look my best.

That includes wearing make up. Now, if I wear more than usual he is suspicious say, eyeshadow, he knows that's embellishment. If I wear none he wonders if I am ill. I don't worry about who on the woman's side is wearing make up. I know there are Masjids were the sister police do, and it makes going to Masjid very uncomfortable. In short, "who cares?" "Mind your own business"

and if the husband is not unhappy, so be it. Mine likes me looking good. Long as I wear my hijab he is cool. Branded, doesn't matter, I get most of my stuff from a combination of places Walgreens, Mac, L'oreal, Bobbi Brown. Doesn't matter. I wear Kohl from the local Halal clothing store, but its been banned for having too high a mercury content. There is no point in a woman "trying" to look good for other sisters, most don't care. I did notice that because I take care of myself and wear matching clothing, and nice colors sisters want to know where I shop, "Goodwill!"

Anyway hope you liked this discussion Scimitar. :-))) :Hijabi:

• Advanced Member

salam,

I am agree that we should be careful of why we wear it and the intention of it. BUT that does not mean to judge others. In a sense when you are judging others your intention is not pure and you are backbitting, which is a sin. So if a woman is to judge another woman based on what make up they wear or how much then that is not proper. A woman should be allowed to wear make up as long as the intention is pure. That is my statement on that. There will people that judge, i say that we should just ignore them cause they themselves dont know who they are nor the fact that they are backbitting in a sense.

Wa alkum salam.

I have worn make up all my life, since I was seventeen and a model. I am never seen without at least eyeliner, that's who I am. My husband loves to see me look my best.

That includes wearing make up. Now, if I wear more than usual he is suspicious say, eyeshadow, he knows that's embellishment. If I wear none he wonders if I am ill. I don't worry about who on the woman's side is wearing make up. I know there are Masjids were the sister police do, and it makes going to Masjid very uncomfortable. In short, "who cares?" "Mind your own business"

and if the husband is not unhappy, so be it. Mine likes me looking good. Long as I wear my hijab he is cool. Branded, doesn't matter, I get most of my stuff from a combination of places Walgreens, Mac, L'oreal, Bobbi Brown. Doesn't matter. I wear Kohl from the local Halal clothing store, but its been banned for having too high a mercury content. There is no point in a woman "trying" to look good for other sisters, most don't care. I did notice that because I take care of myself and wear matching clothing, and nice colors sisters want to know where I shop, "Goodwill!"

Anyway hope you liked this discussion Scimitar. :-))) hijabi.gif

Always, sis Leda. Your input is always enlightening.

salam.gif

Can you please post the reference to this hadith. I am not doubting you, but it is always got to know the source of hadiths.

I cannot find that site (Shia site) anymore, but here are a couple of similar ahadith attributed to the Holy Prophet pbuh.gif , from a Sunni source, in the following cut and paste:

http://www.muslimconverts.com/halal-haram/clothing-perfume.htm

A woman wearing perfume when going out or passing by non-mahram men

This practice is widespread nowadays, despite the stern warning of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who said: “Any woman who applies perfume and then goes out among the people so that they could smell her fragrance is a zaaniyah (adulteress).” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad, 4/418; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 105). Some women are very careless and take the matter too lightly, especially in front of drivers, shopkeepers, school porters, etc., even though the Sharee’ah states very strictly that the woman who wears perfume must wash herself like a person must wash when in a state of janaanah (i.e., perform ghusl), if she wants to go out to the mosque. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Any woman who wears perfume then goes out to the mosque, so that the fragrance can be discerned, her prayers will not be accepted until she performs ghusl like the ghusl to be performed when in a state of janaabah.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad, 2/444; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 2703).

We complain to Allaah about the bukhoor and ‘ood (types of incense) used at weddings and women’s parties before people leave, and the use of strong-smelling perfumes in market-places, means of transportation and mixed gatherings in the mosques even during the nights of Ramadaan. Islaam tells us that women’s perfume should be that which has colour but little smell. We ask Allaah not to despise us and not to punish righteous men and women for the deeds of foolish men and women. May He guide us all to the Straight Path.

As a female, I'd say that, most of the time, when adult women wear make-up in their daily life (for instance, to school or work), it is to please themselves and to 'feel better' about how they look, or because they think they are not pretty enough and need to look presentable. (Even if they are beautiful, this is how women think) And also because everyone else does. Some employers who have female staff who interact with the public (such as some airlines and grocery stores) also require that female employees wear makeup (although hopefully they would be reasonable if a lady had religious reasons not to). Sometimes, yes, it is also to please her husband because a lot of men like other men to think their wives are pretty (whether that's right or wrong, it is how some men think) as a sort of status symbol.

It is a big sin to adorn one's self (with makeup, perfume, whatever) in the attempt to seduce a non mahram man (especially for a married lady to do that) as you mentioned above in the hadith.

The hadith you mention about perfume are in cases where women wear tons of perfume (Arab perfume is often very strong and can be smelled from quite a distance, or if someone sprays half the bottle of perfume on) and this attracts the attention of the men around her. (Especially when this is intentional) A tiny amount of fragrance which might be concealed by one's clothing and which doesn't attract the attention of men as they walk down the street is not a fiqh problem (unless one is doing it for the wrong reasons) and many scholars will say that.

Edited by BintAlHoda

Have we wondered who our women intend to please with this effort? Husbands? Other women? Work colleagues? Themselves? God? Or nobody?

Whatever their intentions... especially if they are married women (and married to someone other than you), if you see them wearing makeup and you feel it is too attractive, your responsibility is to lower your gaze and not continue to look.

We can never really know other people's true intentions, sometimes people do not even know their own intentions themselves and/or are not honest when they tell people why they do things.

Another hadith says that it is best for a mu'min to occupy himself with finding his own faults and fixing them so that he doesn't have time to look for faults in others. That might be a better thing to do, unless it is women you know closely (such as your sister) whom you might offer your brotherly advice to. Otherwise just looking and judging is not going to change their actions.

• Veteran Member

The problem is that society has created this false image of the "beautiful woman". This is the trap some women fall into. They think with makeup they look beautiful, however there standard of beauty has been warped by society.

And it is clear that society does dictate what is beautiful and it isn't just some natural, universal idea. Back in the day in Great Britain being pale and heavy was beautiful. Today it is almost the opposite.

I think as muslims, we have stronger ideals and absolute truths and we should try to fight these false perceptions dictated by a flawed society. This applies to women who want to please themselves and to men who want their wives to look "pretty".

Whatever crusade you may launch against the image of 'the beautiful woman' in contemporary popular imagination, this is not the first time that Homo Sapiens, or womankind to be precise, have tended to have ways to adorn themselves and thus look attractive. The forms and methods of adornment might have evolved [which have] but the basic principle remains the same. Women do adorn themselves, for different reasons, according to the perceptions of the time. This is why these hadiths exist in the first place.

Edited by Marbles

The problem is that society has created this false image of the "beautiful woman". This is the trap some women fall into. They think with makeup they look beautiful, however there standard of beauty has been warped by society.

And it is clear that society does dictate what is beautiful and it isn't just some natural, universal idea. Back in the day in Great Britain being pale and heavy was beautiful. Today it is almost the opposite.

I think as muslims, we have stronger ideals and absolute truths and we should try to fight these false perceptions dictated by a flawed society. This applies to women who want to please themselves and to men who want their wives to look "pretty".

Never understood the concept of a man who wants his wife to look 'pretty' for others. Other men actually. Is like he seeks a validation of his choice, through their approval and admiration of her. Or perhaps seeks to massage his own ego by showing her off. Showing off the very entity Islam intended to keep private and exclusive for him. Rather than be put out there on a public exhibition, with make up, perfume and lipstick on. Says as much about the man as it does about the woman, if not more. Not pretty.

• Veteran Member

Never understood the concept of a man who wants his wife to look 'pretty' for others. Other men actually. Is like he seeks a validation of his choice, through their approval and admiration of her. Or perhaps seeks to massage his own ego by showing her off. Showing off the very entity Islam intended to keep private and exclusive for him. Rather than be put out there on a public exhibition, with make up, perfume and lipstick on. Says as much about the man as it does about the woman, if not more. Not pretty.

The thing is: Whether we go out together or she goes out alone, I don't want my woman to look dull and dry, to smell bad, and to go out in clothes which she wears during house cleaning. Your appearance adds to your personality and respect in the eyes of others. So yes, she should not just 'look' good but 'appear' good, if not pretty. That is for me and her and for our standing in our social circle, not for seeking some sort of validation from the sleazy eyes and unwelcome attention of other men.

Edited by Marbles