Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Need Advice In Moving To Another State

Rate this topic

Tawakkaltu 'alAllah

• Basic Members

Dear brothers and sisters salamun alaykum,

I need sound advice where to move because of work. Right now, I live in California but have difficulty finding work. I was thinking of moving either to Northern California/the Bay Area, Northern Virginia/DC metro, or New York/New Jersey are. Which of these places do you know to have the most jobs. I am willing to take any type of work because of my economic situation.

Perhaps someone knows one of these locations where I can find a roommate and begin searching for jobs. I only have enough funds for a flight ticket and a few months of rent. Please advice me where to move and if you know of a room there, also let me know. Ya Ali madad!

Hameed

• Basic Members

Dear brothers and sisters salamun alaykum,

I need sound advice where to move because of work. Right now, I live in California but have difficulty finding work. I was thinking of moving either to Northern California/the Bay Area, Northern Virginia/DC metro, or New York/New Jersey are. Which of these places do you know to have the most jobs. I am willing to take any type of work because of my economic situation.

Perhaps someone knows one of these locations where I can find a roommate and begin searching for jobs. I only have enough funds for a flight ticket and a few months of rent. Please advice me where to move and if you know of a room there, also let me know. Ya Ali madad!

Hameed

• Advanced Member

My advice is to stay where you are unless you are moving to be near family or very good friends. It appears the economic situation is at its worst and will be slowly recovering now God willing, so look for work everywhere, send applications indiscriminately. When you get an invitation for an interview, ask for a telephone interview first. If that goes well, make arrangements for an in-person interview. Some companies will pay for your travel and lodging expenses for an interview. THEN consider where you need to relocate when you have one or more offers.

• Basic Members

My advice is to stay where you are unless you are moving to be near family or very good friends. It appears the economic situation is at its worst and will be slowly recovering now God willing, so look for work everywhere, send applications indiscriminately. When you get an invitation for an interview, ask for a telephone interview first. If that goes well, make arrangements for an in-person interview. Some companies will pay for your travel and lodging expenses for an interview. THEN consider where you need to relocate when you have one or more offers.

Thanks to you for very nice and practical advice. You are right that it is best to send out resumes, and I have done that already. But still, it is better to wait for results a little longer. Plus I don't have to spend money on moving. May Allah reward you fid dunya wal akhirah. "Nasrum min Allahe wa fathun qarib."

It really depends, what type of work are you looking for? Different industries are prevalent in different states.

If you are just living off of savings you are going to be able to surive a lot longer if you get out of California due to the rent costs there. I think you're doing better than most other people if you actually have several months of rent saved.

Have you tried Texas? There's a lot of relatively cheap housing and Houston has a reasonably good economy, plus there is a big Shia community and you could contact them at the IEC Islamic center in Houston (google it) and see if they can help you with the job search. They are good at giving practical help to community members there.

Edited by BintAlHoda