In the Name of God بسم الله

Fire-worshippers

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

So I came upon this hadith while scanning hadiths concerning the keeping of the beard and I am confused by a term the Prophet (pbuh) used, can anyone help me out?

"Trim closely the moustache, and grow beard, and thus act against the fire-worshippers."-Hadith Muslim, Narrated by Abu Hurayrah.

What does he mean "fire-worshippers"?

• Veteran Member

So I came upon this hadith while scanning hadiths concerning the keeping of the beard and I am confused by a term the Prophet (pbuh) used, can anyone help me out?

"Trim closely the moustache, and grow beard, and thus act against the fire-worshippers."-Hadith Muslim, Narrated by Abu Hurayrah.

What does he mean "fire-worshippers"?

The word used is the plural of مجوس, this word is roughly translated to be fire worshippers whereas in reality it means the zoroastrians. The reason why it has been translated as fire worshippers is because many people believed that zoroastrians worship fire hence this became the widely used translation of the word.

Edited by MFAHH

• Advanced Member

The word used is the plural of ãÌæÓ, this word is roughly translated to be fire worshippers whereas in reality it means the zoroastrians. The reason why it has been translated as fire worshippers is because many people believed that zoroastrians worship fire hence this became the widely used translation of the word.

I thought as much, thank you.

• Advanced Member

And what did the prophet (s) meant when he said : and thus act against the fire-worshippers ?

He wanted to make muslims different ,thats all .

There was a time that muslims concern much about ( haff ashawarib ) Trimming mustaches and they thought it is most important in religion .

• Advanced Member

So the zoroastrians worshiped fire? was that how the original zoroastrians did as well?

From what I understand, fire plays an important symbolic role in Zoroastrian religious services. I think also, it's seen as purifying or something of the sort. They don't actually worship fire. I am not 100% but I do believe, if memory serves, I believe that's the role fire plays, so I can see how those outside of the Zoroastrian community would characterize them as "fire-worshippers."

Edited by Frosty

• Forum Administrators

(salam)

I think it's similar to the term "idol worshipers". Idolaters don't literally worship the statue; they worship what they think it represents. Likewise, Magians didn't worship fire, but fire was a representation of Ahura Mazda. Of course, I don't know too much about Zoroastrianism, so I can be totally off.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I think it's similar to the term "idol worshipers". Idolaters don't literally worship the statue; they worship what they think it represents. Likewise, Magians didn't worship fire, but fire was a representation of Ahura Mazda. Of course, I don't know too much about Zoroastrianism, so I can be totally off.

(bismillah) (salam)

I looked this up actually and fire to Zoroastrians is like holy water to Catholics. They don't worship it but ascribe it certain spiritual properities that they view as purifying. It's also seen as an earthly manifestation of the power of Ahura Mazda. Fires are lit in their temples to purify and to symbolize the good, the light and the purity which everyone should strive for. Also, the fire lit in temples once official, said fire can't be put out. I do get and like the comparison to pagans, nice way to put it.

• Veteran Member

And what did the prophet (s) meant when he said : and thus act against the fire-worshippers ?

The Holy Prophet didn't use the word fire-worshippers, he used the arabic word for zoroastrians, it was the translator who translated the word as fire worshippers.