Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Angel Of Death

Rate this topic

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(bismillah) (salam) Exposition here: https://www.al-islam.org/forty-hadith-an-exposition-second-edition-imam-khomeini/twenty-second-hadith-aversion-death

I prefer this movie (It's Shi'i)

(bismillah) (salam) Thank you, brother. Some people do not like to think about death, but we honor our martyrs, don't we? We should think about death and be ready to go any time that Allah SWT cal

• Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

Brother, thank you very much for that wonderful ^ video. It is one of the memorable videos that will not be forgotten.

Please, everyone, make du'aa for our ill ones and those who have passed away.

May Allah SWT bless you and your family and keep you safe until the return of Imam Zaman AJ.

• Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

Verily, the Exalted God accepts (His) servants’ repentance to the last moment of their lives.

Sayings of the Holy Prophet SA in the book Nahj Al-Fasahah:

https://www.al-islam.org/fa/printpdf/book/export/html/39147

• Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

Dear Brothers and Sisters, I was thinking that this topic is finished because it doesn't take deep thinking and research, it is kind of self-evident that death will come to everyone at some point in time. Even so, I saw a book at my favorite website al-islam.org and thought this is so beautiful that you may want to read it when you have time, inShaAllah. Here is the first paragraph of the preface to the book:

Bismillahir Rehamanir Rahim

Alhamdi Lillahe Rabbil Aalamin Wassalato Wassalamo Ala Nabiyeid-din wa Aalehi Gurral Mayamin Amma Baad.

When this weak slave Abdullah Mamkani realised this world's short life and unreliability and when he became sure that death does not give extension to anybody - you cannot delay the destined time by even a second - then I became afraid, lest I depart from this world without teaching my son spiritual guidance! Therefore I found it necessary to write a book in the form of a 'Will' which will serve as a guidance to my children, my friends, my relatives and others who wish to get religious and worldly benefits.

Book: Last Will & Testament.

https://www.al-islam.org/wasiyatnama-last-will-testament-ayatullah-shaikh-abdulla-mamkani

eltemaase du'aa

Maasalama

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

^ ^ Thank you Brother Ya Baqiyatullah and Sister Java. Your kind words are a reflection of your kindness. May Allah SWT help you in all your Islamic endeavors. ws

• 5 weeks later...
  • Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

(40) Du'aa by the 4th Imam Zainul Abideen AS, found in Sahifa Al-Kamila Al-Sajjadiya recited beautifully by Hussain Ghareeb.

His Supplication when Someone's Death was Announced to him or when he Remembered Death

See Dua #40 here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2898EAAF221B38C2

• Veteran Member

I have a question: Where does the story of Azrael being completely made up of eyes and tongues for everything alive come from?

One tradition I heard was that Azrael was so massive and large that if one "poured the oceans of the world on his head" the drips would never reach his feet.

Edited by Saintly_Jinn23
  • Advanced Member

(salam),

I might be wrong, but there are some ahadith which contradict what you said:

رسولُ اللهِ‏ِ (صَلَّيَ اللهُ عَلَيهِ وَ آلِهِ): مَن تابَ‏قَبْلَ أنْ‏ يُعايِنَ قَبِلَ‏اللّه‏ُ تَوبَتَهُ.

The Prophet (SAWA) said, ‘A man who repents before he sees [the angel of death], Allah will accept his repentance.’

- [al-Kafi, v. 2, p. 440, no. 2 al-Kafi]

الإمامُ الباقرُ (عَلَيهِ الّسَلامُ): إذا بَلَغتِ النّفسُ هذهِ‏ـ وأهْوى بيَدِهِ إلى حَلْقِهِ ـ لَم يَكُن للعالِمِ تَوبَةٌ، وكانتْ للجاهلِ تَوبَةٌ

Imam al-Baqir (as) said, ‘When the soul reaches this – and pointed at the back of his throat – there will not remain a chance to repent for the knowledgeable man, but there will remain a chance for the ignorant one.’

- [ibid, no. 2]

الإمامُ الرِّضا (عَلَيهِ الّسَلامُ) ـ وقد سُئلَ عن عِلّةِ إغْراقِ ‏اللّه‏ِ فِرْعَونَ وقـد آمَنَ بهِ وأقَرَّ بتَوحيـدِهِ ـ: لأنَّهُ آمنَ عندَ رُؤيـةِ البَأْسِ، والإيمانُ عندَ رُؤيَةِ البَأْسِ غيرُ مَقبولٍ.

Imam al-Rida (as), when he was asked about the reason for Allah’s drowning the Pharaoh after he believed in Him and attested to His oneness, replied, ‘Because he believed after he saw the wrath [of Allah], and belief at such a time is not accepted.’

- [bihar al-Anwar, v. 6, p. 23, no. 25]

http://www.darolhadith.com/modules.php?name=my_AlfabetMenu&vid=32&scid=18

Imam Baqir (a.s.) said,

Adam (a.s.) requested God Almighty: My Lord! You have imposed Satan on me. So grant something to me also. Allah Almighty replied: O Adam! Yes, I have appointed something for you also. It is that if anyone from your progeny intends to sin, his sin will not be recorded. If he has sinned actually that sin (one only) will be noted. But when he will intend to do a good deed a good will instantly be noted in his account. Then if he will actually do that good deed, ten rewards will be credited to his account. Adam (a.s.) said: My Lord! Grant me something more. Allah responded: another bounty for you is that if, after committing a sin, they will seek pardon from Me, I will forgive them. Adam (a.s.) requested: My Lord! Add something more. Allah said: I have provided Tawba for your progeny and it is so vast that even if they beg My pardon at the last moment of their life, I will forgive them. He said: My Lord! This is enough.

The Holy Prophet (S) said,

“Anyone who does Tawba a year before his death, it will be accepted by God.”

Then he (S) repeated,

“A year is a long time. If he begs pardon only a month before his end he will be forgiven.”

Then he said,

“A month is also too much. Even if he begs pardon only a week before his departure it will be accepted.”

Then he said,

“A week is also much more. If the sinner prays for pardon only a day before his death, his repentance will be accepted.”

Then he said,

“A day is also a long time. Even if a man repents just before the arrival of the angel of death, his Tawba will be accepted.”

- (Usul al-Kāfi: Chapter of Tawba)

Also, the Qur'an says:

Repentance with Allah is only for those who do evil in ignorance, then turn (to Allah) soon, so these it is to whom Allah turns (mercifully), and Allah is ever Knowing, Wise. And repentance is not for those who go on doing evil deeds, until when death comes to one of them. He says: Surely now I repent; nor (for) those who die while they are unbelievers. These are they for whom We have prepared a painful chastisement. (4:17-18)

http://www.al-islam.org/greater_sins_complete/57.htm

wa (salam)

Salam

[shakir 10:90] And We made the children of Israel to pass through the sea, then Firon and his hosts followed them for oppression and tyranny; until when drowning overtook him, he said: I believe that there is no god but He in Whom the children of Israel believe and I am of those who submit.

[shakir 10:91] What! now! and indeed you disobeyed before and you were of the mischief-makers.

[shakir 10:92] But We will this day deliver you with your body that you may be a sign to those after you, and most surely the majority of the people are heedless to Our communications.

Wsalam

Edited by elite
Guest Muhamad
On 12/13/2010 at 3:26 PM, Hameedeh said:

(bismillah)

(salam)

Dear Brothers and Sisters, I was thinking that this topic is finished because it doesn't take deep thinking and research, it is kind of self-evident that death will come to everyone at some point in time. Even so, I saw a book at my favorite website al-islam.org and thought this is so beautiful that you may want to read it when you have time, inshaAllah. Here is the first paragraph of the preface to the book:

Book: Last Will & Testament.

https://www.al-islam.org/wasiyatnama-last-will-testament-ayatullah-shaikh-abdulla-mamkani

eltemaase du'aa

Maasalama

wonderful book indeed :) May Allah be with u

salam.gifsmile.gif

• Advanced Member

But there is like atleast 1000 people dying every 30 sec, Is the angel so fast? taking like 1000 lifes from diffrent corners of the world within like 30 sec? Or wait a sec, Angels are made of light right? Light is the fastest things in the world, The speed of the light is around 299 000 000 m/s which means the light can circle the earth around 8 times in 1 sec. Which means that ONE ANGEL can circle around the earth and takes these 1000 peoples lifes within like 3 sec. Subhanallah!!

• Veteran Member

But there is like atleast 1000 people dying every 30 sec, Is the angel so fast? taking like 1000 lifes from diffrent corners of the world within like 30 sec? Or wait a sec, Angels are made of light right? Light is the fastest things in the world, The speed of the light is around 299 000 000 m/s which means the light can circle the earth around 8 times in 1 sec. Which means that ONE ANGEL can circle around the earth and takes these 1000 peoples lifes within like 3 sec. Subhanallah!!

Does Azrael oversee just humans or all things alive? I've always been under the impression that he oversaw all death itself. Am I wrong?

I read two stories of what happens when someone dies. One of Azrael's many eyes blinks or Azrael catches a leaf inscribed with the name of the person who's going to die and erases the name. But he really doesn't have to be near the person to kill them from what I know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Administrators

wonderful book indeed :) May Allah be with u

salam.gifsmile.gif

(bismillah)

(salam)

Thank you for the kind comment, brother Muhamad.

For those who asked a question and I did not answer, I am sorry for my ignorance.

InshaAllah someone else may respond in due time.

Please pray for our dear ones, especially those who are ill.

Praying for everyone~

• Advanced Member

(salam),

I might be wrong, but there are some ahadith which contradict what you said:

ÑÓæáõ Çááåöþö (Õóáóøíó Çááåõ Úóáóíåö æó Âáöåö): ãóä ÊÇÈóþÞóÈúáó Ãäúþ íõÚÇíöäó ÞóÈöáóþÇááøåþõ ÊóæÈóÊóåõ.

The Prophet (SAWA) said, ‘A man who repents before he sees [the angel of death], Allah will accept his repentance.’

- [al-Kafi, v. 2, p. 440, no. 2 al-Kafi]

ÇáÅãÇãõ ÇáÈÇÞÑõ (Úóáóíåö ÇáøÓóáÇãõ): ÅÐÇ ÈóáóÛÊö ÇáäøÝÓõ åÐåöþÜ æÃåúæì ÈíóÏöåö Åáì ÍóáúÞöåö Ü áóã íóßõä ááÚÇáöãö ÊóæÈóÉñ¡ æßÇäÊú ááÌÇåáö ÊóæÈóÉñ

Imam al-Baqir (as) said, ‘When the soul reaches this – and pointed at the back of his throat – there will not remain a chance to repent for the knowledgeable man, but there will remain a chance for the ignorant one.’

- [ibid, no. 2]

ÇáÅãÇãõ ÇáÑöøÖÇ (Úóáóíåö ÇáøÓóáÇãõ) Ü æÞÏ ÓõÆáó Úä ÚöáøÉö ÅÛúÑÇÞö þÇááøåþö ÝöÑúÚóæäó æÞÜÏ Âãóäó Èåö æÃÞóÑóø ÈÊóæÍíÜÏöåö Ü: áÃäóøåõ Âãäó ÚäÏó ÑõÄíÜÉö ÇáÈóÃúÓö¡ æÇáÅíãÇäõ ÚäÏó ÑõÄíóÉö ÇáÈóÃúÓö ÛíÑõ ãóÞÈæáò.

Imam al-Rida (as), when he was asked about the reason for Allah’s drowning the Pharaoh after he believed in Him and attested to His oneness, replied, ‘Because he believed after he saw the wrath [of Allah], and belief at such a time is not accepted.’

- [bihar al-Anwar, v. 6, p. 23, no. 25]

http://www.darolhadith.com/modules.php?name=my_AlfabetMenu&vid=32&scid=18

Imam Baqir (a.s.) said,

Adam (a.s.) requested God Almighty: My Lord! You have imposed Satan on me. So grant something to me also. Allah Almighty replied: O Adam! Yes, I have appointed something for you also. It is that if anyone from your progeny intends to sin, his sin will not be recorded. If he has sinned actually that sin (one only) will be noted. But when he will intend to do a good deed a good will instantly be noted in his account. Then if he will actually do that good deed, ten rewards will be credited to his account. Adam (a.s.) said: My Lord! Grant me something more. Allah responded: another bounty for you is that if, after committing a sin, they will seek pardon from Me, I will forgive them. Adam (a.s.) requested: My Lord! Add something more. Allah said: I have provided Tawba for your progeny and it is so vast that even if they beg My pardon at the last moment of their life, I will forgive them. He said: My Lord! This is enough.

The Holy Prophet (S) said,

“Anyone who does Tawba a year before his death, it will be accepted by God.”

Then he (S) repeated,

“A year is a long time. If he begs pardon only a month before his end he will be forgiven.”

Then he said,

“A month is also too much. Even if he begs pardon only a week before his departure it will be accepted.”

Then he said,

“A week is also much more. If the sinner prays for pardon only a day before his death, his repentance will be accepted.”

Then he said,

“A day is also a long time. Even if a man repents just before the arrival of the angel of death, his Tawba will be accepted.”

- (Usul al-Kāfi: Chapter of Tawba)

Also, the Qur'an says:

Repentance with Allah is only for those who do evil in ignorance, then turn (to Allah) soon, so these it is to whom Allah turns (mercifully), and Allah is ever Knowing, Wise. And repentance is not for those who go on doing evil deeds, until when death comes to one of them. He says: Surely now I repent; nor (for) those who die while they are unbelievers. These are they for whom We have prepared a painful chastisement. (4:17-18)

http://www.al-islam.org/greater_sins_complete/57.htm

wa (salam)

(salam)

barakallabeek

Beautiful!

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

In Sura 10, Yunus, it is told of how Musa (pbuh) delivered the Children of Israel from slavery under Pharoah. As the story goes, Pharoah and his troops pursued the Children of Israel even into the sea. Qur'an says:

"And We brought the Children of Israel across the sea, and Pharaoh with his hosts pursued them in rebellion and transgression, till, when the (fate of) drowning overtook him, he exclaimed: I believe that there is no Allah save Him in Whom the Children of Israel believe, and I am of those who surrender (unto Him).

What! Now! When hitherto thou hast rebelled and been of the wrong-doers?

But this day We save thee in thy body that thou mayst be a portent for those after thee. Lo! most of mankind are heedless of Our portents." (Yunus, 10:90-92)

So, Pharoah's repentance wasn't accepted. However, the Prophet (pbuh) says in a hadith:

"Allah, the Exalted, will continue to stretch out His Hand in the night so that the sinners of the day may repent, and continue to stretch His Hand in the daytime so that the sinners of the night may repent, until the sun rises from the west." (Muslim 2:16)

This means that the Repentance has to be Sincere and cannot be left until the Angel of Death comes. If this was the case then many athiests would be forgiven because at the time of death a Athiest will seek mercy from Allah i have witnessed this with a ex friend of mine

• 2 months later...
  • Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

In this presentation Ayatollah Mojtahedi Tehrani relates how we should bury our dead and also what are the ettiquettes for after burial. Allah is Kareem.

Salam

Just washed and burried my uncle and grandfather in span of last year.

Both had different sheikhs in charge while I was helping and supervisor. Also 2 different tombs. I think there is a lot of interpretations and differences on how it's done.

I think (that's the last one I heard) .. The Islamic original way of burial is to place the body on the right side with face towards the qibla. And under the ground. Here in egypt was surprised how pharaonic we burry people. .. In an underground tomb which looks like a house from the street and there are chambers. Usually one chamber for men and one for women. The corpses are laid on the sandy ground until they are disintegrated, then their remains are somehow put on the side years later to make space for new family members .. Iwhen I took my grandfather into his new grave I started arguing with guy in charge if tomb that we should put him under the ground, but he ended up just sprinkling sand on his body. While laying on back with his head facing the qibla ( the top of his head).

So I tell everybody that I don't mind getting burried in our family tomb, but that I want to be under the earth.

Is there anybody here who knows exactly how it's supposed to be done? My uncle also was just placed on ground in his white sheets, but on his right side facing qibla. Am clueless guys.

Thanks, Wasalam

• Forum Administrators

Salam

Just washed and burried my uncle and grandfather in span of last year.

Both had different sheikhs in charge while I was helping and supervisor. Also 2 different tombs. I think there is a lot of interpretations and differences on how it's done.

I think (that's the last one I heard) .. The Islamic original way of burial is to place the body on the right side with face towards the qibla. And under the ground. Here in egypt was surprised how pharaonic we burry people. .. In an underground tomb which looks like a house from the street and there are chambers. Usually one chamber for men and one for women. The corpses are laid on the sandy ground until they are disintegrated, then their remains are somehow put on the side years later to make space for new family members .. Iwhen I took my grandfather into his new grave I started arguing with guy in charge if tomb that we should put him under the ground, but he ended up just sprinkling sand on his body. While laying on back with his head facing the qibla ( the top of his head).

So I tell everybody that I don't mind getting burried in our family tomb, but that I want to be under the earth.

Is there anybody here who knows exactly how it's supposed to be done? My uncle also was just placed on ground in his white sheets, but on his right side facing qibla. Am clueless guys.

Thanks, Wasalam

(bismillah)

(wasalam)

Philip, condolences for your dear uncle and grandfather. I am sorry that I don't know the answers to your questions. You can recite "Laa ilaaha illallaahul Malikul haqqul Mubeen" a hundred times for making the grave spacious. Allah is Merciful.

• Moderators
On 4/18/2010 at 5:24 AM, Playing-with-fire said:

Hmm thats strange.. I've read the complete opposite! Isnt there a hadith that says when the angel of death comes to take your soul, its too late to repent, and even if you do it would'nt be accepted because your time(to repent/do good deeds) is basically up.

I'll try finding the hadith insha'Allah...

Found it.

Imam Amir ul Mu'mineen Ali [a] said: "How numerous procrastinators there are who postpone (repenting and doing good deeds) until when death overtakes them!

Ghurar-ul-Hikam, p. 240

Source:

http://www.al-islam.org/flowers/

W/salam

Also from Quran,

حَتَّى إِذَا جَاء أَحَدَهُمُ الْمَوْتُ قَالَ رَبِّ ارْجِعُونِ

23:99 [AS FOR THOSE who will not believe in the life to come, they go on lying to themselves]until, when death approaches any of them, he prays: “O my Sustainer! Let me return, let me return [to life],

The word to look at here is جَاء. It is commonly understood to mean when someone sees the reality of something and there is no doubt about it, like in the ayat

إِذَا جَاء نَصْرُ اللَّهِ وَالْفَتْحُ

110:1

This is from Surat An Nasr. Most of us know the ayat by heart so I'm not going to post the rest.

So I would think that seeing the angel of death would qualify as this situation. At that point, the test is over and there is no repentance that is accepted.

Also,

وَأَنفِقُوا مِن مَّا رَزَقْنَاكُم مِّن قَبْلِ أَن يَأْتِيَ أَحَدَكُمُ الْمَوْتُ فَيَقُولَ رَبِّ لَوْلَا أَخَّرْتَنِي إِلَى أَجَلٍ قَرِيبٍ فَأَصَّدَّقَ وَأَكُن مِّنَ الصَّالِحِينَ

63:10 And spend on others out of what We have provided for you as sustenance, ere there come a time when death approaches any of you, and he then says, "O my Sustainer! If only Thou wouldst grant me a delay for a short while, so that I could give in charity and be among the righteous!"

The word used in this ayat is يَأْتِيَ. It has a very similar meaning to جَاء, but is different in terms of grammar.

On 6/24/2011 at 4:24 PM, Hameedeh said:

(bismillah)

(wasalam)

Philip, condolences for your dear uncle and grandfather. I am sorry that I don't know the answers to your questions. You can recite "Laa ilaaha illallaahul Malikul haqqul Mubeen" a hundred times for making the grave spacious. Allah is Merciful.

Thank you sister hameeda will pray for you inshaAllah

• Forum Administrators
On 6/25/2011 at 0:17 PM, Philip said:

Thank you sister hameeda will pray for you inshaAllah

(bismillah)

(salam)

@ Philip. Thank you. I really appreciate it. :)

@ everyone reading this. By the way, I have been told and I have read it on the internet that we have to pay sadegah, which is a charity money, on the very first night that the person has died and this charity money will help to ease any pressure that our family or friend is suffering in the grave. I'm sure that is the best thing, to pay the money immediately and to say prayers for that person immediately. But if we found out later that someone has died and we did not pay the sadegha money on the very first night or we did not pray for them at that time, it is ok to go ahead and do it. Although we did it late, it is not a problem, because Allah is All Knowing and He knew that we did not know about the death and He knew that we were going to pay sadegha late or say late prayers for the one who passed away. Allah is Merciful and accepts the amal of the sincere person. Also, sadegha does not need to be a large amount of money. If we only have one dollar, Allah accepts it, InShaAllah, and if someone does not have any money to pay sadegha, he/she can find ways to help the family or the Masjid or Islamic Center. Allah SWT will accept this in lieu of sadegha, InshaAllah. ws

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Administrators
On 6/25/2011 at 8:26 AM, Abu Hadi said:

Also from Quran,

حَتَّى إِذَا جَاء أَحَدَهُمُ الْمَوْتُ قَالَ رَبِّ ارْجِعُونِ

23:99 [AS FOR THOSE who will not believe in the life to come, they go on lying to themselves]until, when death approaches any of them, he prays: “O my Sustainer! Let me return, let me return [to life],

The word to look at here is  جَاء. It is commonly understood to mean when someone sees the reality of something and there is no doubt about it, like in the ayat

إِذَا جَاء نَصْرُ اللَّهِ وَالْفَتْحُ

110:1

This is from Surat An Nasr. Most of us know the ayat by heart so I'm not going to post the rest.

So I would think that seeing the angel of death would qualify as this situation. At that point, the test is over and there is no repentance that is accepted.

Also,

وَأَنفِقُوا مِن مَّا رَزَقْنَاكُم مِّن قَبْلِ أَن يَأْتِيَ أَحَدَكُمُ الْمَوْتُ فَيَقُولَ رَبِّ لَوْلَا أَخَّرْتَنِي إِلَى أَجَلٍ قَرِيبٍ فَأَصَّدَّقَ وَأَكُن مِّنَ الصَّالِحِينَ

63:10 And spend on others out of what We have provided for you as sustenance, ere there come a time when death approaches any of you, and he then says, "O my Sustainer! If only Thou wouldst grant me a delay for a short while, so that I could give in charity and be among the righteous!"

The word used in this ayat is  يَأْتِيَ. It has a very similar meaning to  جَاء, but is different in terms of grammar.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Abu Hadi, it is an honor to have you post in this topic. I'm sorry I somehow didn't read your message until today. I think because it was the last message on the page, by accident I went to the final page without reading your message. It is always a pleasure to read your messages at ShiaChat. Thank you for the blessed ayahs from the Holy Qur'an. Brother, please forgive my negligence in responding earlier. fee aman Allah

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

This dua'a contains the articles of faith and if recited regularly would drive away Shaytan. A dying believer, in the last moments of life, should recite this du'aa or if it is not possible, ask someone else to read it aloud for him or her. InShaAllah

• 6 months later...
  • Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

[Holy Qur'an 7:59] Certainly We sent Nuh to his people, so he said: O my people! serve Allah, you have no god other than Him; surely I fear for you the chastisement of a grievous day.

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 7:59]

When Nuh tried to put fear of the torment of a dreadful day in the hearts of the people they laughed at him. Allah's retribution came soon afterwards-the great flood, in which his unbelieving people were drowned, but he and those who believed and came into the ark were saved.

The Holy Prophet said:

"My Ahl ul Bayt are like the ark of Nuh. He who sails on it will be safe, but he who holds back shall be drowned."

The great flood has been described in verses 37 to 48 of al Hud. Chapters 6 and 7 of Genesis in the Old Testament describe the great flood.

Nuh literally means one who weeps. He used to weep continuously in fear of Allah. There were ten prophets between him and Adam. Nuh lived for two thousand five hundred years. He used to live in a small hut. He never built a permanent dwelling abode for himself. In spite of his ceaseless preaching the people were corrupt and full of violence. The men, women and children used to throw stones at him. Whenever he was buried under the heap of stones, wounded and helpless, Jibra-il was deputed to save him and nurse him. His preaching of goodness and godliness continued in the face of violent opposition by his loathsome people. At last the waters of the great flood came upon the earth. Allah wiped out every thing on the earth, and only Nuh and his companions in the ark survived.

Nuh was standing in the sun when the angel of death came. He asked Izra-il to let him go into a nearby shade before his soul was taken away from his body. After coming under the shade he said: "The life of this world is as long as the time he took to come under the shade from the sun, even shorter."

Qur'an and Commentary: http://quran.al-islam.org/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

Two thousand five hundred years passed by; the time was like a few moments or the blink of an eye.

[Pooya/Ali Commentary Holy Qur'an Surah 7, Aya 59]

When Nuh tried to put fear of the torment of a dreadful day in the hearts of the people they laughed at him. Allah's retribution came soon afterwards-the great flood, in which his unbelieving people were drowned, but he and those who believed and came into the ark were saved.

The Holy Prophet said:

"My Ahl ul Bayt are like the ark of Nuh. He who sails on it will be safe, but he who holds back shall be drowned."

The great flood has been described in verses 37 to 48 of al Hud. Chapters 6 and 7 of Genesis in the Old Testament describe the great flood. Nuh literally means one who weeps. He used to weep continuously in fear of Allah. There were ten prophets between him and Adam. Nuh lived for two thousand five hundred years. He used to live in a small hut. He never built a permanent dwelling abode for himself. In spite of his ceaseless preaching the people were corrupt and full of violence. The men, women and children used to throw stones at him. Whenever he was buried under the heap of stones, wounded and helpless, Jibra-il was deputed to save him and nurse him. His preaching of goodness and godliness continued in the face of violent opposition by his loathsome people. At last the waters of the great flood came upon the earth. Allah wiped out every thing on the earth, and only Nuh and his companions in the ark survived.

Nuh was standing in the sun when the angel of death came. He asked Izra-il to let him go into a nearby shade before his soul was taken away from his body. After coming under the shade he said: "The life of this world is as long as the time he took to come under the shade from the sun, even shorter."

Qur'an and Commentary: http://quran.al-islam.org/

• Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

:wub: Thank you for posting the banner ^ in this topic, brother. The part about Wings really gets to me. What a blessing that Allah SWT has told us about the Angel of Death. So we could remember death at all times and never go astray. May Allah SWT keep us on the straight path always. InshaAllah

Blessed is the man who always kept the life after death in his view, who remembered the Day of Judgment through all his deeds, who led a contented life and who was happy with the lot that Allah had destined for him. Saying From Imam Ali AS
  • Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

تَمثُّلُ النَّبِيِّ (صَلَّيَ اللهُ عَلَيهِ وَ آلِهِ) وَالأئِمَّةِ (عَلَيهمُ الّسَلامُ) لِلمُحتَضَرِ

The Appearance of the Prophet and the Imams to a Dying Person

44ـ الإمامُ الصّادقُ (عَلَيهِ الّسَلامُ) ـ لمّا سُئلَ: هل يُكرَهُ المؤمنُ على قَبضِ رُوحِهِ ؟ ـ: لا واللّه‏ِ، إنّهُ إذا أتاهُ ملَكُ المَوتِ لقَبضِ رُوحهِ جَزِعَ عِندَ ذلكَ، فيَقولُ لَهُ ملَكُ المَوتِ: يا وَليَّ اللّه‏ِ لا تَجزَعْ، فوالّذي بَعَثَ محمّداً (صَلَّيَ اللهُ عَلَيهِ وَ آلِهِ) لِأنا أبَرُّ بِكَ وأشفَقُ علَيكَ من والِدٍ رَحيمٍ لو حَضَرَكَ، افتَحْ عَينَكَ فانظُرْ. قالَ: ويُمَثَّلُ لَهُ رسولُ اللّه‏ِ (صَلَّيَ اللهُ عَلَيهِ وَ آلِهِ) وأميرُ المؤمنينَ وفاطمةُ والحسنُ والحسينُ والأئمةُ من ذُرِّيتِهِم (عَلَيهمُ الّسَلامُ) فيقالُ لَهُ: هذا رسولُ اللّه‏ِ و ... رُفَقاؤكَ ... فما شيءٌ أحَبَّ إلَيهِ مِنِ استِلالِ رُوحِهِ واللُّحوقِ بالمُنادي.

44– Imam al-Sadiq AS, when asked, 'Does a believer hate it when his soul is being taken?', said, 'By Allah no, when the angel of death comes to him to take his soul he will be anguished and the angel of death will say, 'O friend of Allah, do not worry, because by He who sent Muhammad (SAWA) I am more compassionate and caring for you than a merciful father if he was to be with you. Open your eyes and see.' He said, 'And the Messenger of Allah, the Commander of the Faithful, Fatima, Hasan and Husayn and the Imams after him will all appear and it will be said to him, 'This is the Messenger of Allah and….your friends…and there will be nothing more beloved to this person than for his soul to leave and meet the caller.'[al-Kafi, v. 3, p. 127, no. 2]

Source: http://www.darolhadi...&vid=327&scid=4

Beautiful :) I have also heard about someone, whom when they were lying in the hospital - either close to death or in their last few moments said that Imam Ali (as) was beckoning him to heaven :cry:

Allahu Akbar!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

Salat al-Mayyit {ritual prayer for the dead}

When a Muslim, even if he is a child, dies, prayer is to be performed for his corpse after the ritual bathing {ghusl al-mayyit} and enshrouding {kafan} are done. Although it is called salat al-mayyit {prayer for the dead}, in reality it is nothing more than supplication, because it has no ruku‘, sujud, tashahhud, and salam.

To perform ablution {wudhu} or dry ablution {tayammum}, or taking a bath {ghusl} is not a prerequisite for its performance. The physical purity of the person praying is not also required though it is better to observe all the conditions for prayer.

It is better to perform this rite in congregation.

To offer prayer for the corpse of a Muslim is wajib kifa’i, which means that it is incumbent upon all Muslims, and if a Muslim or a group of Muslims do so, the rest are excused.

This prayer requests mercy and forgiveness for the dead one. As such, it is better for the friends and relatives of the deceased and the believers to be informed to participate therein, and pray for him.

This prayer brings mercy to the dead one as well as forgiveness for the sins of the persons praying.[616]

Usually, in offering this prayer certain recommended {mustahabb} supplications and statements are recited. The obligatory things, however, which are necessary for every Muslim to know, are the following:

Salat al-mayyit consists of five takbirs.

After the first takbir, “Ashhadu an la ilaha illallah wa anna Muhammadan rasulullah” {I bear witness that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah} is recited.

After the second takbir, “Allahumma salli ‘ala Muhammad wa ali Muhammad” {O Allah! Send blessings on Muhammad and the progeny of Muhammad} is recited.

After the third takbir, “Allahumma ’ghfir li’l-mu’minina wa’l-mu’minat” {O Allah! Forgive the believing men and women} is recited.

After the fourth takbir, “Allahumma ’ghfir li-hadha (or li-hadhihi) al-mayyit” {O Allah! Forgive this dead (male or female as the case may be)} is recited.

After the fifth takbir, the prayer is finished.

The person praying for the dead body must face the qiblah and place the corpse in the lying position in front of him in such a manner that the head of the dead body is on the right side of the one praying while the feet are on his left side.

The person praying must not be far from the corpse, but if the prayer is in congregation, there is no problem if others are far from the dead body, provided the connection between those who are praying is maintained.

If the prayer for the dead Muslim is not offered (intentionally or out of forgetfulness), or it is found out later that the prayer offered was invalid, it must be offered near his grave after the burial.*

* Wasa’il ash-Shi‘ah, vol. 2, p. 762.

For more information, see the books on practical laws.

Source:

https://www.al-islam.org/printpdf/book/export/html/43775

• Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

Twenty Second Hadith: On the Aversion for Death

With my continuous sanad reaching up to the pillar of Islam and its reliable authority, Muhammad ibn Ya'qub al-Kulayni, from Muhammad ibn Yahya, from Ahmad ibn Muhammad, from some of his teachers, from al-Hasan ibn 'Ali ibn Abi 'Uthman, from Wasil, from 'Abd Allah ibn Sinin, from Abu 'Abd Allah Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã that he said: "A man came to Abu Dharr and said to him, 'O Abu Dharr what is wrong with us that we abhor death?' Abu Dharr replied, 'That is because you have built and cultivated your world and ruined your Hereafter. So you hate to be moved from prosperity towards desolation.' He was asked, 'How do you see our entry into God's presence?' Abu Dharr replied, 'As to the good-doer amongst you, he is like someone returning to his family after a (long) absence. As to the evil-doer amongst you, he is like an absconding slave being returned to his master.' He was asked, 'How do you see our situation before God?' Abu Dharr replied, 'Evaluate your deeds in view of the Qur'anic criterion. Verily God says, "Surely the pious shall be in bliss and the profane shall be in a fiery furnace" ' (82:12,13). The ImamÚáíå ÇáÓáÇã added: "Thereat the man said, 'Then where is the mercy of God?'Abu Dharr replied, 'The mercy of God is near to the good-doers.' "

Abu 'Abd Allah Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã continued: "A man wrote to Abu Dharr, may God be pleased with him: 'O Abu Dharr, teach me something new of knowledge.' Abu Dharr wrote to him, 'Knowledge is vast. However, if you can abstain from wronging someone that you love, do so.' The man asked him, 'Have you seen anyone wrong someone that he loves?!' Abu Dharr replied, 'Yes. Your own self is the dearest of all things to you. And when you disobey God you have wronged it.' " [1]

[1]. Al-Kafi, ii, "kitab al-'iman wa al-kufr","bab muhasabat al-'amal", hadith no. 20.

Exposition here:

https://www.al-islam.org/forty-hadith-an-exposition-second-edition-imam-khomeini/twenty-second-hadith-aversion-death