Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
3ashiqat-Al-Batoul

Why Is It So Many People

Rate this topic

Salam

So I just have an encounter with one of those long, many legged, thick "bugs".

I was sitting here minding my own business on an area with many couches stuck together at my university, and all of a sudden i see this bug creature thing coming toward me very quickly on the couch beside me, so i have a panic attack and get up quickly, try to figure out a way to get rid of it, and go behind the couch and pull it back so that it isn't touching anything around it. I then stand back to see if the thing will show up, and i see it crawling very quickly toward me on the ground.

I thought bugs were supposed to be afraid of people? :unsure:

Anyway, my question is: Why are there so many people that are terrified of small creatures that we are able to crush very easily? Is there an evolutionary reason?

I would also like to see the ratio of male/female that have this irrational fear, so please also vote in the poll.

Thanks,

Wasalam :)

I'm have a phobia of them lol... you're lucky that you only encountered it in your uni. From time to time in my house you'll be able to find daddy long legs ( I think this is the right term for them). They are so scary even though I'd be able to kill them easily. Luckily, my mum comes to the rescue and kills them before they disappear :)

I see no males have voted so far... maybe they don't want to show that they're afraid :P

Edited by Hawraa29

On 3/23/2010 at 6:06 PM, Hawraa29 said:

I see no males have voted so far... maybe they don't want to show that they're afraid :P

Au contraire. Males are avoiding this thread because it is in essence a truly female thread. One peripheral function of being male is not to get scared of little creepy bugs even if they are potentially harmful.

Folks we males run the world. Do you think we could do that if we were scared of such things?

But I bet all females on this board and around the world stand together in this exclusive, gender specific club of bug-phobia. Think about a lizard or a cockroach walking across the length of your arm - and JUMP :!!!:

I'll get my cup of tea. :dry:

One time I was playing cards (disclaimer: a lot of scholars say playing cards is not haraam unless there is gambling involved) with my cousins in a shack beside a small family farm, and I noticed a scorpion crawling across one of my cousin's shoulders and started laughing. Then we all started laughing. Then he noticed it and jumped up and batted it away. We took a few pictures and tried to throw it at one another. It was the most romantic night of my life.

On 3/24/2010 at 5:16 AM, maula dha mallang said:

duno why people find them scary, i find them to be beautiful, how can you look at a spiders web and not be amazed that the whole thing was squirted out [edit]

(bismillah) (salam)

Those webs are more powerful than steel, so I will modify the genes of some animal so they shoot out large quantities of spider webs, then I will use them to build a rocket which I will fire at the moon at such an angle that it will cause a large chunk to fly to earth killing obama and burning his new health care bill.

How can you guys hate those critters, I call them lunch! mmmmmmmmmm.. fried cockroach. In all honesty I dislike killing them so I usually try to take them out on like a piece of parper towel.

Edited by Hameedeh
Inappropriate in the quote.

Do you mean these guys?

post-34193-12694325130524_thumb.jpg

They freak me out a bit and if in my presence, their estimated lifespan may be greatly reduced (though they can be hard to kill, and even if you do, there can still be that nerve motion...). Just looking at their picture can make my face contort. Have lived in a house that got infested with them. Very unpleasant to open a bathroom mirror and have one drop down.

On 3/24/2010 at 4:58 AM, baradar_jackson said:

One time I was playing cards (disclaimer: a lot of scholars say playing cards is not haraam unless there is gambling involved) with my cousins in a shack beside a small family farm, and I noticed a scorpion crawling across one of my cousin's shoulders and started laughing. Then we all started laughing. Then he noticed it and jumped up and batted it away. We took a few pictures and tried to throw it at one another. It was the most romantic night of my life.

ROMANTIC? Guess male mind works differently ! :huh:

Hate all type of bugs but scared of cockroaches(Esp the big ones that fly :Hijabi: ) and lizards. :wacko: 

I dont mind the bugs we have in Ireland, as virtually all of them are harmless. Whenever I travel to foreign countries like Thailand etc... then I pay slightly more attention, as some over there can be dangerous.

Reminds me of a former boss of mine from Ireland. He used to live in Australia. He said he spent one Sunday giving his car a clean out and hover in his drive, and had the cars doors left often for a long while as he popping in and out of the house. The next morning when he driving to work and it got a bit sunny as he hit the freeway so he went to put he sun visor down and a large huntsman ( a straw coloured tarantula type spider ) spider dropped in his lap :o After doing a few swerves around the road, he pulled over and jumped out of the car. A few other drivers noticed his erratic behaviour and pulled over to see how happened. He show them the spider in the car, and one laughed and said its only a huntsman and they are harmless and moved it out of the car using a newspaper. The boss said he went home, splashed his face with cold water, changed his underwear :lol: and headed back to work.

Do you mean these guys?

what, in the name of Mr T, is THAT?!?!?! :huh:

er, only askin for information, not that id be scared of it *starts flexing muscles*

what, in the name of Mr T, is THAT?!?!?! :huh:

er, only askin for information, not that id be scared of it *starts flexing muscles*

It's a centipede. One of those guys can actually kill and eat a spider... they are that hardcore.

It's a centipede. One of those guys can actually kill and eat a spider... they are that hardcore.

man, it makes me glad to live in mild climate UK, dont you miss scotland with the tiny ants and nothing poisonous and deep fried mars bars when u see stuff like that? its nasty

Do you mean these guys?

They freak me out a bit and if in my presence, their estimated lifespan may be greatly reduced (though they can be hard to kill, and even if you do, there can still be that nerve motion...). Just looking at their picture can make my face contort. Have lived in a house that got infested with them. Very unpleasant to open a bathroom mirror and have one drop down.

Oh my God! Did you have to post that picture up... you know that some people have nightmares due to seeing these pictures. My sister does and when I mean nightmares I mean nightmares lol

On 3/23/2010 at 6:47 PM, Marbles said:

Au contraire. Males are avoiding this thread because it is in essence a truly female thread. One peripheral function of being male is not to get scared of little creepy bugs even if they are potentially harmful.

Folks we males run the world. Do you think we could do that if we were scared of such things?

But I bet all females on this board and around the world stand together in this exclusive, gender specific club of bug-phobia. Think about a lizard or a cockroach walking across the length of your arm - and JUMP :!!!:

LOL.. I actually can't believe that no males have voted that they're scared.. even if they are they wouldn't vote due to the fear of being called a wimp :lol:

what a senseless question

thats like asking why are certain males afraid of females who they can also crush....

the answer of course is that both females and bugs have an extreme inherited tendency to annoy the hell out of you.

mr lova lovaa

teri aankonn ka jadduuu

mr lova lova tera dil darkhaiii

mr lova lova

mujhe need na aayee

Many of them are creepy and ugly, that's the biggest reason I suppose. They creep me and they get killed in the process. :Hijabi:

I watch Discovery Channel/National Geographic etc. sometimes, they have this new series, Monsters Inside Me. Watch that :P, I should warn though they show people who have had problems like "Maggots in My Head" and "Invincible Brain Eating Monster". Now those are the things you should be scared of...

Ok, that bug was disgusting and horrible. I have a feeling that was your intention so thanks a lot :dry: 

And yes it was like that, but it was black and thicker :unsure: Ive seen creatures like it before, but never so thick. It was strange and fearless and wanted to attack me. I think certain people on this board should have some RAHMA and stop cursing me :mad:

Anyway, nobody has really answered my question? Why is it that so many people are afraid of them, not just disgusted by them or sickened, but actually afraid? And why is it that more females are than males are, females are just as capable of killing them and just as much bigger than them as males are.

On 3/23/2010 at 6:47 PM, Marbles said:

Yeah yeah yeah! Guys only pretend they're not scared, but let one of those centipede (posted pic) walk slowly on your head down to your face while you're sleeping and then open your eyes and tell me how you'd feel?! Yeah Marbles will calmly get up, gently remove the friendly small non harmful cute little creature, letting it walk it's way back on it's own as if it was a small flower not

a freaky-zillion legs-ugly-shivers giving-hell of annoying-disgusting creature!!! :dry:

On 3/24/2010 at 1:34 PM, Bonafide Hustler said:

thats like asking why are certain males afraid of females who they can also crush....

the answer of course is that both females and bugs have an extreme inherited tendency to annoy the hell out of you.

mr lova lovaa

teri aankonn ka jadduuu

mr lova lova tera dil darkhaiii

mr lova lova

mujhe need na aayee

LOL...good one...Now translate the non bolded part please, because it's darn unfair!

On 3/24/2010 at 5:40 PM, Calm said:

Yeah yeah yeah! Guys only pretend they're not scared, but let one of those centipede (posted pic) walk slowly on your head down to your face while you're sleeping and then open your eyes and tell me how you'd feel?!

That has happened to me before. Well not a centipede. But a cockroach. I woke up to notice a big one on my face. I calmly took it from my face and threw it against the wall.

I was disgusted, yes. And I washed my face. But I was not scared.

Why would we lie about something like that?

Yeah yeah yeah! Guys only pretend they're not scared, but let one of those centipede (posted pic) walk slowly on your head down to your face while you're sleeping and then open your eyes and tell me how you'd feel?! Yeah Marbles will calmly get up, gently remove the friendly small non harmful cute little creature, letting it walk it's way back on it's own as if it was a small flower not

a freaky-zillion legs-ugly-shivers giving-hell of annoying-disgusting creature!!! :dry:

dude id scream like a bloody SCHOOLGIRL. and then kill it. and eat it.

That has happened to me before. Well not a centipede. But a cockroach. I woke up to notice a big one on my face. I calmly took it from my face and threw it against the wall.

I was disgusted, yes. And I washed my face. But I was not scared.

Why would we lie about something like that?

Cause it's guys' nature maybe ?! Most likely?...

For sure.

On 3/24/2010 at 5:00 PM, 3ashiqat-Al-Batoul said:

Anyway, nobody has really answered my question? Why is it that so many people are afraid of them, not just disgusted by them or sickened, but actually afraid? And why is it that more females are than males are, females are just as capable of killing them and just as much bigger than them as males are.

(bismillah)

(salam)

People are afraid of a creature getting in their ear and eating their brain. Does that story sound familiar? I am afraid of bugs, spiders and snakes, and any one of these will make me scream. 

This works very well because somebody else comes running to help! But if nobody else is around, I know that I must do this, so I say bismillah and take care of it myself. :blush: 

(salam),

Yes, I accept. I would scream like a girl, if something as disgusting as a lizard fell on me, when I least expect it. :dry:

That reminds me...

Once upon a time, when I was a little mommy's boy, I did a chore for her, expecting an ice-cream treat back. ^_^ She asked me to pick up the empty flower-pots from her garden and keep them in the car's trunk, while she waited behind the wheel, so we can go give them to the plant nursery. Thinking of what flavour I will ask Mom to buy me, I went to pick the pots. I kicked at them slightly to make sure they're bug-free, and then picked them up. Out came a black, checked, slimy, long lizard and jumped on my arm (yes, the kick wasn't hard enough -_- ). I dropped all the pots, they broke and meanwhile the lizard tried to make it cosier and jumped on my shirt collar. I flicked it away with both hands and watched it scuttle across the road, and also watched my Mom finding it difficult to control her laughter. :dry:

Sometimes being a mommy's boy isn't such a good idea. I didn't get the ice-cream and didn't even get a car-ride to see the plants in the nursery, but rather was sentenced to a shower by my Mom. :squeez:

So yes, when lizards come in, they ruin my whole day.

Otherwise, I would love having a cockroach (that can't fly) as a pet. ^_^ ... so that I can make it die of hunger and poke it with pins every now and then and torture it the way it and its other family members torture me when I'm alone in the toilet. :shaytan:

wa (salam)

Yeah yeah yeah! Guys only pretend they're not scared, but let one of those centipede (Macisaac posted a pic) walk slowly on your head down to your face while you're sleeping and then open your eyes and tell me how you'd feel?! Yeah Marbles will calmly get up, gently remove the friendly small non harmful cute little creature, letting it walk it's way back on it's own as if it was a small flower not a freaky-zillion legs-ugly-shivers giving-hell of annoying-disgusting creature!!! :dry:

Pretend that we are not scared? Why on earth would we prrretrenddd? :unsure:

I will go with baradar that it is due to the eewwy feeling of disgust at the creepiness of cockroaches or spiders or of the Mac bug that I will kick it off if I find one strolling over my body. But heck women [and some womenly guys with messed up hormones] scream like a mom about to deliver and jump like kangaroo on spotting one. This is quite universal in women. I wonder if there are truly brave women around. ^_^

A scenario with a rhetorical question: 2 men and 3 women fill a room. They spot a creepy bug or worse, a small snake, which apparently wants a cuddle from one of the women. Who do you expect would stand up to finish off the creepy thing? One of the three women or one of the two men and why?

Male protection did you say? Well, creepy bugs aren't armed robbers or beer can waving junkies on high or something. They are just bugs, and even their gender is not known.

So??

Salam

So I just have an encounter with one of those long, many legged, thick "bugs".

I was sitting here minding my own business on an area with many couches stuck together at my university, and all of a sudden i see this bug creature thing coming toward me very quickly on the couch beside me, so i have a panic attack and get up quickly, try to figure out a way to get rid of it, and go behind the couch and pull it back so that it isn't touching anything around it. I then stand back to see if the thing will show up, and i see it crawling very quickly toward me on the ground.

I thought bugs were supposed to be afraid of people? :unsure:

Anyway, my question is: Why are there so many people that are terrified of small creatures that we are able to crush very easily? Is there an evolutionary reason?

I would also like to see the ratio of male/female that have this irrational fear, so please also vote in the poll.

Thanks,

Wasalam :)

Hello 3ashiqat-Al-Batoul,

I like how you wrote that. :) Bugs and spiders normally do tend to make their appearance when I am minding my own business too. :P Once, I was driving down the freeway and a spider appeared right in front of the steering wheel!!! I will never forget that! I was terrified!!! I had to keep my hands on the steering wheel to not cause a wreck, and I prayed and then calmed down enough to pull over to the right, and stop the car. It was cold, and I had gloves on, so I took off one glove and caught the dangling spider with it and threw both the spider and the glove out the window!!!

I am a female and I am afraid of spiders and some bugs. :)

I tried to vote but I think I have to have more posts to vote?

Peace and God bless you.

I'm not afraid of bugs. Yes I am disgusted but if I needed to either ignore or get rid of them, I would very easily do that...even have developed the expertise, where its possible, to get rid of them without killing them...

Disclaimer 1: the lil bugs may be maimed for the rest of their short lives or gasp for air for a while, but heck they are still alive. Screaming technique has been known to stun them temporarily till you can get rid of them so dont laugh when women scream. :angel:

Disclaimer 2: I would not consider scorpions as bugs...those are lethal.

I remember a school trip when we had to go out in a really arid area and one of the girls woke up screaming and almost paralysed "Scorpion scorpion" because the place was noted for scorpions. Couple of us brave ones went to rescue the "damsel" and it turned out to be a thorn.

Edited by Muskaan

This is quite universal in women. I wonder if there are truly brave women around. ^_^

No it isn't. :dry: And what is brave about facing up to a tiny bug?

I once killed the same spider four times before the poor creature finally died. I felt terrible about it, but couldn't work with my colleague leaping about and screaming. Normally I would just carry them away, but this one came back again and again. I guess we must have been working near its nest.

H-carolinensis.jpg

I do not have any remorse about killing fleas or mosquitoes if they come into my house, but the rest of the creatures will be removed unharmed if possible.

not afraid of but i don't like lizard at all   :dry: , i have a friend , he catches them with the hand

(bismillah)

(wasalam)

Interesting.. why don't so many guys like lizards? I think they're cute <3

especially those little baby ones! Aww I want to pet them and keep them as a pet!

But scorpions and many types of spiders are dangerous, I see nothing wrong with being scared of THEM. So If I ever scream because of them that's because they're dangerous and they want to kill me.

Flying cockroaches are disgusting. I'm not scared of them, but I don't want one to land on me so it may appear that I am. But I also am not adverse to killing and squishing them til they die.

I'm ok with any other type of bug. I just take it outside. But nasty things like roaches, mosquitoes, fleas, and anything dangerous like spiders and scorpions will. be. killed.