Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
DoubleAgent4

Nowruz

Rate this topic

^ Since I don't know who your marja is, there is no point of me pasting fatawa from random maraja. It is better if you ask your marja yourself.

Hasan Sajjad

President

I'm not going to bother as I don't take part in Chahar shanbe suri ... if you have any Fatwas on Grand Ayatollah Sadiq Hussaini Shirazi feel free to share.

^ Never heard of a marja by that name...sorry.

Hasan Sajjad

President

Don't worry. I can't believe you haven't heard of Seyyid Shirazi :o Here's a picture of him: http://www.s-alshirazi.com/news/1430/09/images/09/01.jpg or this one: http://s-alshirazi.org/languges/torki/subject/services/History.jpg . Sometimes I can't distinguish between him or his brother as they all look the same lol.

^ Hawraa, unquestioning supporters of the status quo have a short memory when it comes to Sadiq Shirazi and his late brother Muhamamd Shirazi.

LOL... indeed they do. Maybe the pictures will re-jog his memory! Allahu Alim... maybe he really hasn't heard of him :unsure:

(salam)

This doesn’t make sense. If the only holidays you can celebrate are those previously celebrated in the 6th century Arabia, then you will definitely miss-out the following Holidays:

8 February - Victory of Islamic Revolution (Iran)

23 September - The National Biddah Day (Saudi Arabia)

August 14- Independence Day (Pakistan)

14 July - Republic Day (Iraq).

So, it’s completely false that Muslims don’t celebrate bidda holidays.

Should Muslims celebrate dangerous pagan holidays involving fire? Absolutely not! :mad:

(This is not a fatwa)

I have not once used the word Bid'ah.

and who is "none of you", I am one person, asking a question.

you seem to have issues with people disagreeing with your practices, with all due respect I don't know you, so stop being bitter and taking it out on me.

I don't have issues with people but have the right to reject your claims.

The reason I used the word bid'a is because, you spoke the same way as "Takfiri Salafis" do and that is why I said 'none of you' referring to the school of taught who believes anything they don't like is either "bid'a or shirk". They believe even seeking treatment from a doctor is shirk.

seeking blessings, believing in symbols or objects for good luck etc.. is a form of shirk.

no I am not retarted.

how can they be Shirk? one example, by believing putting grass on the table is going to make you properous is Shirk, because rizk comes from Allah T'ala and not grass on the table.

No I don't think so my friend. It is like praying during Eid day wishing for good and preparing sweets somehow is some kind of shirk according to your definitions. The person that you replied and quoted her reply, there is not even one single mention of "grass" or people seeking and believing in objects to give them something. Symbolizing things is not shirk at all. It is like soldiers waving white flags during the war after surrender in a sign of peace and then we call them mushrik. It is nonsense and very unrelated.

is it not a form of worship, believing they can help you in some way that only Allah azzawajal can?

Who said that? Who said these objects will help them in a way that Allah can not? Why you make up things?

What about if we call the manner of keeping flowers on your table as Shirk too?

Don't mix up things... those are just symbols of nature and etc...with the start of spring people preparing them in the day of Nawroz.

I was watching a newsreport on Nawruz, and they were saying things like, we buy and wear new clothes so that we have a properous year ahead, if we do x y and z then next year will be a good year...

how can you deny that this is Shirk? what power do new clothes have you affect anything in you year ahead except from the way you look?

Again.. they just hope and wish and pray... because it is the start of the new year...it has nothing to do with believing in clothes as God...

It is like I ask my friend to wish me good luck for my upcoming exam, and then you label that as a shirk act.

Nowruz is none Islamic, because it is not mentioned in quran and sunnah books???

jeans and tee-shirts also have not been mentioned in quran and sunnah books,

tvs and radios also have not been mentioned in quran and sunnah books,

UN Constitution under the leadership of USA/Britain has also not been approved in quran and sunnah,

Those, who happily celebrate Saint Valentine's Day, holee, rakhee, etc, have objection on Nowruz???

Why???

Because Nowruz has roots in Iran,

And according to their tendency, every thing that comes out from Iran is Shirk,

This is their mentality,

They grow up with this poison of hatred,

You can judge them from their attitudes,

They do not hate Nowruz in the love of islam,

They hate Nowruz because they have hatred against iran,

They show their ugly hatred using Nowruz as a pretext,

Nowruz is an event to celebrate new day,

Nowruz is the day of nature,

Nowruz marks the first day of spring,

Nowruz (in Iran March 21) is the day when day and night are equally long,

It happens each year at two specific moments in time, when there is a location on the Earth's equator where the centre of the Sun can be observed to be vertically overhead, occurring around March 20/21 and September 22/23 each year,

The centre of the Sun spends a roughly equal amount of time above and below the horizon at every location on the Earth, night and day being of roughly the same length,

It is a holiday for Azerbaijan, Afghanistan, Turkey, Zanzibar, Albania, and various countries of Central Asia, as well as among the Kurds. It is celebrated in Northwestern China, the Crimea, Bosnia, Serbia and the Republic of Macedonia,

During the meeting of The Inter-governmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Heritage of the United Nations, held between 28 September – 2 October 2009 in Abu Dhabi, Nowruz was officially registered on the UNESCO List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity,

We celebrate Nowruz,

What we do in Nowruz is to collect seasonal fruits,

Including Rose and water,

Then,

We recite:

3 times Salawat,

1 time Sura Hamd,

3 times Sura Ikhlas,

3 times Salawat,

And dedicate its reward to Imam Ali,

We spray the water on walls of home as a sign of attachment with nature and religion,

What’s wrong into it???

What’s shirk into it???

What’s haraam into it???

We celebrate first day of spring with the name of God, Prophet Mohammad and his Noble Household,

Does it give you pain???

Does it upset you???

Does it worry you???

Your goal is to isolate Iran from all muslim countries,

That’s why you misguide people all over the world,

You do it in the enmity of Iran but not in the love of Islam,

We know you.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Happy New Year! The 'Haft Seen' table has really been misunderstood. Every family does not do that. It is one artistic person who will be inclined to spread the table for the New Year. Our family has never done this. I think it is just an expression of one person's love for his/her family and friends. It is a decoration that symbolizes Allah's bounties and blessings. Especially in a family that has young children who will be appreciative of the decorations and gifts during the New Year.

This year on Nowrouz we were having a snow storm! lol But we weren't sorry about it. It is melting and watering all the trees and grass. We had guests come over last night. We had no senjed but other dried fruits are in the kitchen, along with the garlic, sumac berries and vinegar. We had sîb - apples in the fruit bowl for our guests. No sweet pudding (samanu) - we drank sweet tea and had cheesecake, a gift from one of our guests. No, I did not grow sabzeh in a dish! We received a Pothos sp. plant as a gift. A new plant, a new year. Life is good. Allaho Akbar!

BTW, Pothos sp. is the perfect plant for busy people. When it gets dry one of the leaves turns yellow. You snap it off and water the poor thing. :wub:

When there was no Islam,

People celebrated first day of spring with different taste,

When people accepted Islam and became muslim,

They started celebrating Nowruz or first day of spring with the name of God, Prophet Mohammad and his Noble Household,

Is it difficult to understand???

Or, it is purposefully and deliberately made controversial just to isolate Iran???

how easily few evils wish to destroy the innocent happiness of millions of people just for political purposes???

they think that by doing such cheap propaganda based on falsehood, they can achieve something,

No, they can not,

except shame and humiliation,

as God has promised humiliation for Liars.

Those, who happily celebrate Saint Valentine's Day, holee, rakhee, etc, have objection on Nowruz???

Why???

No, "they" don't have a problem with Nawruz.

And shut up.

(salam)

When I said dangerous pagan festival, I meant chahar shanbe suri and not Nowruz. On Nowruuz, we get together with our Iranian friends and eat cake! And we talk politics. There is really nothing un-Islamic about that.

How do you guys celebrate the Nowruuz?

Read that someone wrote, not all Iranians bring Haft seen. Well, I'm pretty sure that 95% of Iranians who are in Iran, has the Haft Seen. This is someone you see when you visit an Iranian in Nowroz. That my family do that we gather ourselves together and get visits, and then we eat good food. We thank God for what has happened in the past year, and pray to God that we will have even better years ahead for us.

http://www.swix.ch/peyk/images/haft_seen_naghashi.jpg

On Nowruuz, we get together with our Iranian friends and eat cake! And we talk politics.

Politics on Nawroz? :dry: On Nawroz even politicians leave politics behind and make parties lol :D like President of Azerbaijan in this clip

If you really want to see if something is wrong or not, look at the Ulamas, i´ll chew my own leg off if any of you can show me one Grand Ayatollah with a damn nowroz table with all the 7 sins and mirror and [Edited Out].

There is nothing wrong with nowroz, there is something wrong with the way its celebrated. If you can´t get that through your head, then too bad.

Each year they farm millions of damn fish which are killed after nowroz, TONS of "sabze" which is the plant they grow for norwroz is wasted, and i really can´t be bothered on going through the seven "sin" again all placed around the Quran.

I can guarantee that non of you guys who support it would invite the prophet or any of the ahlul bayt to your house while having the nowroz decoration set up at your home. Anyone that says they would are bluffing and being stubborn.

Politics on Nawroz? :dry: On Nawroz even politicians leave politics behind and make parties lol :D

(salam)

We don’t really start with politics. You know that. :)

I think the best part of Nowruz is the timing of festival. Right about now we are all thoroughly fed-up with snow. That made the day 10X nicer.

If you really want to see if something is wrong or not, look at the Ulamas, i´ll chew my own leg off if any of you can show me one Grand Ayatollah with a damn nowroz table with all the 7 sins and mirror and [Edited Out].

There is nothing wrong with nowroz, there is something wrong with the way its celebrated. If you can´t get that through your head, then too bad.

Each year they farm millions of damn fish which are killed after nowroz, TONS of "sabze" which is the plant they grow for norwroz is wasted, and i really can´t be bothered on going through the seven "sin" again all placed around the Quran.

I can guarantee that non of you guys who support it would invite the prophet or any of the ahlul bayt to your house while having the nowroz decoration set up at your home. Anyone that says they would are bluffing and being stubborn.

Bro, these kinds of reasoning do not make 7-seen as 'Shirk' and those who prepare them as Mushrik.

Looking at the Ulamas or Grand Ayatollahs, I will will not chew anything if you can show me one of them wearing a jean, a stylish tshirt with fancy sunglasses, but that does stop the common people to do so, right? And regarding Prophet or any of the AhlulBayt.... if that was possible to invite them then the issue was resolved, they could state if to celebrate Nawroz in such a manner or not...It is up to the Ulama to do ijtehad and pass their judgment...NOT TO GUESS if we invited AhlulBayt then X might happened and Y might not. Islam is complete and scholars hold the responsibilities to clarify things.

And I don't know how does fishing the fishes and wasting 'sabze' is somehow related to shirk? :D It is life bro, we human beings eat 24 hours a day, work, plant, save, waste...most of the time in a right manner and most of the time not....

Bro, these kinds of reasoning do not make 7-seen as 'Shirk' and those who prepare them as Mushrik.

Looking at the Ulamas or Grand Ayatollahs, I will will not chew anything if you can show me one of them wearing a jean, a stylish tshirt with fancy sunglasses, but that does stop the common people to do so, right? And regarding Prophet or any of the AhlulBayt.... if that was possible to invite them then the issue was resolved, they could state if to celebrate Nawroz in such a manner or not...It is up to the Ulama to do ijtehad and pass their judgment...NOT TO GUESS if we invited AhlulBayt then X might happened and Y might not. Islam is complete and scholars hold the responsibilities to clarify things.

And I don't know how does fishing the fishes and wasting 'sabze' is somehow related to shirk? :D It is life bro, we human beings eat 24 hours a day, work, plant, save, waste...most of the time in a right manner and most of the time not....

It is shirk because it´s Idolatry with a twist. I dont know if you are iranian or not, but i would like you to paste the reasons why we decorate the way we do with the number 7 and using things that start with S, if you can find it. Then compare it to the Idolatry of pre Islam Macca, where they used wood for luck, and iron for fortune etc etc. As soon as you start putting numbers on rituals and using specific items for luck and glory and health etc, except on the specific rituals that is ordered by Allah, it is Shirk, because you are putting other man made beliefs above Allahs.

Now i know that most people don´t think about it like that and do it because its beautiful etc etc, but it´s not less wrong non the less.

Regarding your statement about Ulama. As i have said 1000 times before, Ulama say and do what´s best for Islam at the current state of time. Just because they don´t speak out against certain things, doesnt mean they dont have a negative opinion about it. Ayatollah Shirazi made tobacco haram just to get rid of the british. It was a temporary solution to that problem. If you say the nowruz sofrah is shirk or sin or whatever, you are gonna piss of millions of religiously uneducated Iranians, and many of them are going to get a bad impression of Islam. Things like this takes time. Listen to Sheykh motaharis speech about chaharshambe soori (jumping over fire ritual) and you will understand what im talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2EHyYHVnK0

If you can´t relate this to nowroz, then i´m done with discussing this with you.

Nowruz is the traditional Iranian new year holiday celebrated by Iranian people and initiated in Ancient Iran. Apart from Iran, the celebration has spread in many other parts of the world including parts of West Asia, Central Asia, South Asia, Northwestern China, the Caucasus, Kurds of Turkey, the Crimea, and some ethnic groups in Albania, Bosnia, Kosovo and the Republic of Macedonia.

Nowruz marks the first day of spring and the beginning of the Iranian year and is a national holiday. The term Nowruz first appeared in Persian records in the second century AD.

After the emergence of Islam in Iran, Nowruz also took an spiritual color. People were taught by Islam to take Nowruz also as a time for renewal of soul. There is also a terse prayers which Muslim Iranians read out when the yera begins:

O, The One who changes hearts and states over,

O, The administrator of night and day,

O, The Author of Might and States,

Change our states over to the best.

Nowruz is celebrated on the day of the astronomical vernal equinox, which usually occurs on March 21 or the previous/following day depending on where it is observed. At the time of the equinox, the sun is observed to be directly over the equator, and the north and south poles of the Earth lie along the solar terminator; sunlight is evenly divided between the north and south hemispheres.

Today, the festival of Nowruz is celebrated in many countries that were territories of, or influenced by, the Persian Empire: Iran, Afghanistan, parts of the Middle East, as well as in the former Soviet republics of Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, and Kyrgyzstan. It is also celebrated by the Zoroastrians as well by certain Iranic inhabitants in Pakistan's Chitral region.

In Turkey, it is called Nevruz. Uyghurs who live in Northwestern China called it as Noruz. In some communities located in parts of western Iran, the holiday is referred to as Nuroj, which literally means New Day in the Kurdish language.

Nowruz is also celebrated by Kurds in Iraq and Turkey as well as by Parsis in Indian subcontinent.

In Iran, preparations for Nowruz begin in Esfand (or Espand), the last month of winter in the Persian solar calendar.

Haft Sin or the seven S's is a major tradition of Nowruz. The haft sin table includes seven specific items starting with the letter 'S' or Sin in Persian alphabet. The items symbolically correspond to seven sources if good.

The Haft Sin has evolved over time, but has kept its symbolism. The Haft Sin items include seven of the following alternatives:

• Sabzeh - wheat, barley or lentil sprouts growing in a dish - symbolizing rebirth

• Samanu - a sweet pudding made from wheat germ - symbolizing affluence

• Senjed - the dried fruit of the oleaster tree - symbolizing love

• Sir - garlic - symbolizing medicine

• Sib - apples - symbolizing beauty and health

• Somaq - sumac berries - symbolizing (the color of) sunrise

• Serkeh - vinegar - symbolizing age and patience

• Sonbol - Hyacinth (plant)

• Sekkeh - Coins - representative of wealth

There are other items too which make part of the table. These are:

• A holy book (largely Koran) and/or a copy of poetry collection (almost always the anthology of Hafez)

• Traditional Iranian pastries such as baghlava, toot, naan-nokhodchi

• Aajeel - dried nuts, berries and raisins

• Lit candles (symbolizing enlightenment and happiness)

• A mirror (symbolizing cleanness and honesty)

• Decorated eggs, sometimes one for each member of the family (fertility)

• A bowl of water with goldfish (life within life, and the sign of Pisces which the sun is leaving)

• Rosewater, believed to have magical cleansing powers

In the New Year Day, the Iranian people usually prepare special dishes. They are:

• Sabzi Polo Mahi: The New Year's day traditional meal is called Sabzi Polo Mahi, which is rice with green herbs served with fish. The traditional seasoning for Sabzi Polo are parsley, coriander, chives, dill and fenugreek.

• Reshteh Polo: rice cooked with noodles which is said to symbolically help one succeed in life.

• Dolme Barg : A traditional dish of Azeri people, cooked just before the new year. It includes some vegetables, meat and cotyledon which have been cooked and embedded in vine leaf and cooked again. It is considered useful in reaching to wishes.

• Kookoo sabzi : Herbs and vegetable souffle, traditionally served for dinner at New Year. A light and fluffy omelet style made from parsley, dill, coriander, spinach, spring onion ends, and chives, mixed with eggs and walnut.

the Tajik and Iraqi presidents arrive in Tehran to attend celebrations marking the Persian New Year,

Tajik President Emam Ali Rehman (Emomali Rakhmon) and

Iraqi President Jalal Talabani arrived in Tehran on Friday (March 26, 2010),

heading high-ranking political and cultural delegations,

the two-day ceremony will be held in Tehran and the cultural city of Shiraz, where the world-renowned poet Hafez has been laid to rest.

The Turkmen president arrived in Tehran

to attend Nowruz Celebrations to be held in Tehran and Shiraz, Fars Province,

on Saturday and Sunday,

Presidents

Iraq,

Tajikistan,

Turkmenistan and

Afghanistan

as well as Azeri foreign minister and

Turkish deputy premier are attending the event,

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad hoped the Nowruz Celebrations

which have already been registered as an international event

become universal.

President Jalal Talabani said here on Saturday that:

“Nowruz invites all to freedom,”

“Since Nowruz invites all nations to freedom, the bullying powers are frightened by the event and freedom of nations,”

“We commemorate Nowruz in a country which is the harbinger of friendship, equality and freedom among the nations,”

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad termed:

“Nowruz is the source of ethical and spiritual values and messages,”

“Nowruz rituals carried messages on safeguarding family values, respecting the elders, consolidating and reinforcing emotional bonds and honoring the institution of family,”

“The common culture shared by all nations which invites all to steer clear of evil-thinking and animosity and urges resurrection and adherence to the good,”

“Nowruz actually led people to the Lord who is the source of life and resurrects nature and gives fallen hearts a new chance to live a fresh life,”

President Kurbanguly Berdymukhamedov termed:

“Nowruz is a rich cultural event that should be preserved and given to the future generations,”

President Emomali Rahmon said:

“Registration of Nowruz as an international event was a big victory because it happened at a time when some regional countries were facing grave dangers,”

“Nowruz rituals entailed messages of unity, clarity, sincerity and beauty,”

Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said:

“the Iranian New Year, Nowruz, is a fitting occasion to bring regional nations and governments closer together,”

“This (Nowruz) event and its continuity can serve as an appropriate ground for bringing governments and nations in the region closer together,”

“the global recognition of Nowruz can in fact serve as sort of a cultural gift and conveyance from nations that mark Nowruz to other nations, particularly the West,”

“At a time when, unfortunately, the cultural current remains from West to East, the international recognition of Nowruz provides the opportunity to transfer and export the high values of eastern culture to Western nations, "

“The fact is that the Interests of regional nations are not in contradiction but indeed complement each other,"

“Regional nations can establish a high value cultural complex,”

“The Islamic Republic of Iran welcomes bolstering relations and cooperation among regional and neighboring countries which subscribe to a common culture,"

“Iran honors the progress of every neighboring country,”

“Nowruz is a leading spiritual, national and international occasion and a symbol of innovation, freshness and consolidation of friendship and kindness between friends and relatives.”

A special stamp on “Nowruz” was unveiled during the first international ceremony celebrating the advent of the New Year,

The stamp was sealed by the presidents of Iran, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan and Iraq as well the Turkish deputy premier and Azeri foreign minister in a special ceremony which marked the end of the first day of celebrations held in Tehran,

The five heads of state jointly sealed the stamp as a gesture of unity and friendship among their nations.

post-42891-12697264348161_thumb.jpg

post-42891-12697264542142_thumb.jpg

post-42891-12697264978629_thumb.jpg

post-42891-12697265138872_thumb.jpg

post-42891-12697265943101_thumb.jpg

post-42891-12697268024306_thumb.jpg

Bahrain’s General Secretariat of the Shura Council Ali Bin Saleh Al Saleh said in Manama:

"the international day of Nowruz symbolized a spirit of fraternity, peaceful coexistence, interaction and compassion,"

he congratulated Iranian officials and nation on the auspicious occasion.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Won't copy and paste. If you are interested for next year, here is the webpage for Dua'a & Aamal for Nawroz

http://www.duas.org/nawroz.htm

norooz01.jpg

Do religious iranians take part in this celebration? what about Chahārshanbe Sūrī? people jumping over fire?

two things I don't understand about the IRI, the solar calendar and nowruz. I understand the political motivation to maintain unity amongst iranians, but to have the solar calendar as the basis of your time management and a pagan holiday as the most important holiday is beyond me.

also what's the story about sizdah bedar? why 13 days? what happened on the 12th day?

عید همگی مبارک

It is only Nowrooz not an 'Eid'.

فقط روز نوروز مبارک

In Islam we have only two Eids, Eid ul Fitr and Eid ul Adha.

@ To those who are in doubt abouit Nowrooz

Nowrooz has nothing to do with Islam rather it is a cultural thing and I don't think there is any problem celebrating it. Unfotunately, In Iran they gave it more importance than the two Islamic Eids.

Edited by Ghorids

Do religious iranians take part in this celebration? what about Chahārshanbe Sūrī? people jumping over fire?

I used to believe that it was ok to partake in chaharshanbe suri but the more I thought about it the more I realised that this shouldn't be practiced anymore and to answer your question unfortunantely religious Iranians do take part in this celebration. Actually, in London as far as I'm aware I recall people saying that in the Islamic Republic Iranian School they used to hold this event....

also what's the story about sizdah bedar? why 13 days? what happened on the 12th day?

All I know is that on the 13th day young, unmarried girls would tie the sabze and throw it in the river for the hope of finding a good husband I think lol.

Anyways,

Happy Nowruz!

Inshallah you have a year full of Iman, health, happiness and success :)

هر روزتان نوروز ، نوروزتان پیروز

Edited by Hawraa29

PS : Nowrooz is not an Iranian day / cultural celebration only , a minority of Pakistani's celebrate it too as well as Afghanistan and other neighbouring countries !

This thread is useful to those who would like to know more about Eid Nowrooz.

Wishing all my brothers and sisters a wonderful Nowroz in advance , may the new year bring many blessings for you and your family ! And May God give strength to our Bahraini Brothers and curse all oppressors

How do you guys & girls celebrate your nowrooz ?

(We start with the Nowrooz Amaal , Duas , Father recites quran verses and then we start with the mubarak baadi etc lol oh and the 7-seen is done as well :) and giving gifts to the little ones ..... :D and calling the rishtadarssss abroad wishing them nowrooz mubarakbaadi's

Edited by Scary_Betty

It is only Nowrooz not an 'Eid'.

Iranians call it an Eid. Eid means festivity which can apply to any festivals or celebrations... In this New Year lets all reflect on the current situations of our oppressed brothers and sisters all over the world and pray that Allah gives them all peace :)

How do you guys & girls celebrate your nowrooz ?

On the first day visit close family ( grandparents ) and receive your money lol. Eat sabzi pola ba mahi http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=sabzi%20polo%20ba%20mahi&rlz=1R2ACAW_enGB370&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi, shirini http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&hl=en&rlz=1R2ACAW_enGB370&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=shirini&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=and go out to a restaurant or something, the second day is usually for all the phone calls made abroad to wishing family members a Happy Nowruz. I wish I was in Iran during Nowruz, I can imagine I would have much more fun and the atmosphere and surroundings would be beautiful lol.

Edited by Hawraa29

PS : Nowrooz is not an Iranian day / cultural celebration only , a minority of Pakistani's celebrate it too as well as Afghanistan and other neighbouring countries !

This thread is useful to those who would like to know more about Eid Nowrooz.

It is mainly celebrated in Iran, Afghanistan and Tajikistan.

Edited by Ghorids

two things I don't understand about the IRI, the solar calendar and nowruz. I understand the political motivation to maintain unity amongst iranians, but to have the solar calendar as the basis of your time management and a pagan holiday as the most important holiday is beyond me.

First I want to talk about the solar calendar because I have noticed that a lot of our Arab brothers are unclear on this issue.

The calendar used in Iran is called hejri-ye shamsi (or hejri-ye khorshidi for people who are just too Persian to use shams), which means "Solar Hijri." It is counted from the same starting point as the lunar hijri. But the current year is different (1432 in the Lunar Hijri compared to 1389 -- soon to be 1390 -- in the Solar Hijri). This is because lunar years are shorter than solar years. (Anybody can notice how important religious dates and months come a little bit earlier -- in the Gregorian calendar -- each year).

I am not sure if any of the non-Iranians are familiar with this event, but at one point in time Mohammad Reza Shah changed the year so that the first year in the calendar corresponded with the establishment of monarchy in Iran (instead of the hijra). So the year became 2500-something. People ignored this change, to the point that he eventually reverted the calendar back to its original form.

So this calendar is not some sort of pagan calendar. It is counted from the Prophet's emigration to Medina, just like the Lunar Hijri. The only difference is that it is a solar calendar and not a lunar calendar.

Why a solar calendar? Well, Iran's climate is different from the climate in Hijaz. Iran is a four season country. Therefore, it is most practical for the calendar to correspond with weather conditions. A lunar calendar would not accomplish that goal.

Chaharshanbe Soori is widely denounced by our ulama as well as our government officials, and every year during that time, propaganda is aired that show people who have been seriously injured from these ceremonies. Remember that there is no religious significance in these ceremonies; it is only an opportunity for people to engage in culturally-sanctioned violence. For example, people make homemade grenades (more like very powerful firecrackers) and throw them off rooftops. This is why the government propaganda is aimed at showing the physical dangerousness of these practices rather than its alleged paganistic nature.

In Iran everybody is young. Add this to the fact that our people are already naturally very hot (in their temperament), and you get such results. There is a lot of fire in our people's hearts, and they find some unhealthy outlets for this fire.

As for norouz itself, it has lost its religious significance. It is mostly just a time for parents to get gifts for their children. It is probably the most materialistic holiday that we have (although still nothing compared to Christmas in the US).

Dr. Shariati wrote a book about norouz. I have not read it but I am sure it answers many of the questions that you have.

Ya Ali

Edited by baradar_jackson

(bismillah)

(salam)

If Muslims do good things on Nowruz it is good; as long as they stay away from harmful things like making homemade explosives or jumping over fire. Tying knots in grass is pretty innocuous and believe me everyone laughs at girls who do that in order to bring her a husband. In the US it is a tradition at a wedding or wedding reception that before the bride leaves for her honeymoon she tosses her flower bouquet and all the unmarried girls try to catch it, because that means she will be the next one to get married. Similar thing to tying grass. Nobody accuses girls who try to catch the bouquet of being pagan. It's just a harmless activity. Looks like some people did not read the link that was provided. :squeez: Scroll to the bottom where it says Celebrating Nowrooz. There is a hadith by the 6th Holy Imam AS, and he would not start a conversation about Norouz with his companion if it was nonsense, astaghfirullah. I heard that there is a hadith from Imam Ali AS explaining to his companion(s) that Norouz is a day that Arabs abandoned and Farsi people (meaning Salman Farsi's people) kept it. If Norouz was bad, Imam Ali AS could have said it was haram and rejected it. Even if someone says these hadith are not correct, what is bad about making du'aa and reading the Holy Qur'an and other amal on that day? In my family we never do the haftseen table. We all pray and Grandfather reads Qur'an and du'aas, then we watch the New Year message from Ayatullah Khamenei HA on IRIB or IRINN. I suppose Press TV has it, too, with English voiceover, but we watch the farsi channel to get the original. After that the President makes a New Year message. We talk and have tea and sweets and if the New Year is not too late, we have a meal together. No pagan stuff. That is it. InshaAllah the New Year brings good news to everyone. May Allah SWT alleviate all your difficulties. Ya Imam Zaman AJ adrikni.

i dont no y everyone is so against 4shanbe souri. its just a celebration that iranians enjoy even if its not part of Islam or an Islamic holiday. Its very fun and brings iranians together for enjoyment. im not even in Iran but i went somewhere to cleberate it on tuesday and we all jumped over the fire and said jokes and ate food and had a good time.

(bismillah)

(salam)

In case any of you still did not read that ^ webpage, I want to say that this is the last time I am going to post about Nowruz. Many years, due to Muharram being at the same time with Norouz we find that people did not celebrate Norooz. It is not that big a deal to people. I think, personally, this is my own opinion, so don't take it as anything other than that, and I haven't studied Islam at all, I'm just a wife and mother, Imam Jafar Sadiq AS was pointing to this hadith as the time of the year when people should say Happy New Year.

This is the hadith:

Imam [Jafar Sadiq] AS asked, “Do you know the status of this day [Nowrooz, the first day of Spring]?” Mu‘alla replied, “May I be sacrificed for your sake! This is the day which the Iranians took as a great day. On this day, they send gifts to one another.” The Imam replied, “The act of holding this day in esteem and greatness is due to certain historical events which took place which I will now explain to you.” The Imam then mentioned the following events: Nowrooz is the day when Allah, the High, took the promise from the souls of all human beings (before their creation) to His Oneness, that they would not associate partners with Him and that they would accept and believe in His Prophets and Imams; this is also the day when the flood during the time of Prophet Nuh AS subsided and the ark rested on the mountain of Joodi; Nowrooz is also the day when the Messenger of Allah destroyed the idols of the polytheists of the Quraish in the city of Makkah. This was also the day that Prophet Ibrahim destroyed the idols; also the day when the Messenger of Allah ordered his companions to pledge allegiance to Ali as the Commander of the Faithful (this is in reference to the Day of Ghadeer which took place on the Eid-e-Nowrooz); it is also the day when the Qa’im from Aale Muhammad (the 12th Imam) will make his advent…” Source: http://www.duas.org/nawroz.htm

The 6th Holy Imam is pointing out to us, IF anyone thinks the first day of Muharram is the New Year and should be celebrated or tell each other Happy New Year, that is not correct because this hadith ^ from Imam Sadiq AS was actually guiding people to keep the celebration, prayers, and visiting people, etc., for the first day of Spring, the time known as NoRouz. No matter how you spell it. The Holy Month of Muharram is a mournful time for the Holy Ahlul Bayt AS and should not be celebrated by telling people Happy New Year. "Allaahu A'lim" (Allaah knows best).

InshaAllah this New Year, the time of Nowrouz brings good news for everyone. May Allah SWT solve all your problems. Ya Imam Zaman AJ adrikni.