Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Nowruz

Rate this topic

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nowruz is the start of spring so that is when our year starts... on Nowruz we set a table with 7 symbols starting with the letter 'S' . This is called the ' Haft Seen' table. 1. sabzeh(سبزه) - whe

Posted Images

• Veteran Member

Happy Nawrooz to Iranians.

Btw, it seems a good opportunity to ask if Nawrooz is in any way associated with Islam?

What is Nawrooz? Can some Iranian brief me on the background and what it entails?

• Advanced Member

Btw, it seems a good opportunity to ask if Nawrooz is in any way associated with Islam?

What is Nawrooz? Can some Iranian brief me on the background and what it entails?

Nowruz is the start of spring so that is when our year starts... on Nowruz we set a table with 7 symbols starting with the letter 'S' . This is called the ' Haft Seen' table.

1. sabzeh(سبزه) - wheat, barley or lentil sprouts growing in a dish - symbolizing rebirth

2. samanu (سمنو)- a sweet pudding made from wheat germ - symbolizing affluence

3. senjed (سنجد)- the dried fruit of the oleaster tree - symbolizing love

4. sîr (سیر)- garlic - symbolizing medicine

5. sîb (سیب)- apples - symbolizing beauty and health

6. somaq (سماق)- sumac berries - symbolizing (the colour of) sunrise

7. serkeh (سرکه)- vinegar - symbolizing age and patience

The Prophet (pbuh) said hopefully everyday for you is Nowruz and hopefully your Nowruz will be successful( a famous saying) as an Iranian asked him can we still celebrate Nowruz even though we're Muslim. The Prophet then asked what do you guys do on that day then he said we do spring cleaning, visit relatives etc. I think this is how the story goes...

Also, an Iranian man gave a present to Imam Ali(as) for Nowruz and he accepted it and congratulated us on this day.

Nowruz is for 13 days and Nowruz means ' New Day'

Hope this helped!

BTW Nowruz is celebrated by Afghanistan, Iran, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Kurdistan and parts of India etc

Edited by Hawraa29
  • Veteran Member

(salam),

The Prophet (pbuh) said hopefully everyday for you is Nowruz and hopefully your Nowruz will be successful( a famous saying) as an Iranian asked him can we still celebrate Nowruz even though we're Muslim. The Prophet then asked what do you guys do on that day then he said we do spring cleaning, visit relatives etc. I think this is how the story goes...

Also, an Iranian man gave a present to Imam Ali(as) for Nowruz and he accepted it and congratulated us on this day.

Can I have a reference for them?

We have an account that quotes Imam Rida (as) saying that nothing has been said about it Islam.

See this post:

Anyone who's interested can read these amazing articles I came across:

http://en.rafed.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3190:norooz-promotes-the-culture-of-peace-and-prosperity&catid=81:miscellaneous&Itemid=846

http://en.rafed.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3191:norooz-the-iranian-new-year&catid=81:miscellaneous&Itemid=846

Oh and happy Nowruz from me to everybody as well. May this year bring Iran dominance over the US. ;)

wa (salam)

Edited by Basim Ali
  • Advanced Member

(salam),

Can I have a reference for them?

We have an account that quotes Imam Rida (as) saying that nothing has been said about it Islam.

See this post:

Anyone who's interested can read these amazing articles I came across:

http://en.rafed.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3190:norooz-promotes-the-culture-of-peace-and-prosperity&catid=81:miscellaneous&Itemid=846

http://en.rafed.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3191:norooz-the-iranian-new-year&catid=81:miscellaneous&Itemid=846

Oh and happy Nowruz from me to everybody as well. May this year bring Iran dominance over the US. ;)

wa (salam)

Salam,

I would tell you the reference but I can't find it... I read it in the Iranian calender last year but I can't find that calender now... if I find it I'll let you know lol. Even before I read it I've heard this saying on numerous occasions.

Inshallah Iran will have a prosperous year ahead of them :)

• Veteran Member

Nowruz is the start of spring so that is when our year starts... on Nowruz we set a table with 7 symbols starting with the letter 'S' . This is called the ' Haft Seen' table.

1. sabzeh(ÓÈÒå) - wheat, barley or lentil sprouts growing in a dish - symbolizing rebirth

2. samanu (Óãäæ)- a sweet pudding made from wheat germ - symbolizing affluence

3. senjed (ÓäÌÏ)- the dried fruit of the oleaster tree - symbolizing love

4. sîr (ÓیÑ)- garlic - symbolizing medicine

5. sîb (ÓیÈ)- apples - symbolizing beauty and health

6. somaq (ÓãÇÞ)- sumac berries - symbolizing (the colour of) sunrise

7. serkeh (Óјå)- vinegar - symbolizing age and patience

Exotic stuff.

I have spent one Nawrooz in Iran and was offered a lot of free sweets wherever I went. So it is something I am glad to approve of as I love sugar :P

Nowruz is for 13 days and Nowruz means ' New Day'

Hope this helped!

BTW Nowruz is celebrated by Afghanistan, Iran, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Kurdistan and parts of India etc

I understand that there is nothing wrong in celebrating festivals specific to one's culture as long as they do not contradict the spirit of Islam. As far as the validity of Nawrooz goes thus far, no one should have an issue with that. Your hadith [if it's authentic] also reports of its acceptance by the infallibles. But I am wondering if there is something distinctively Islamic about it as some claim?

True, it is celebrated in various degrees outside Iran. The good old reason for this is that Iran [as well as Farsi speaking Afghanistan] was an empire which extended well beyond its current borders and peoples, and as a natural result of it, many aspects of Iranian language and culture were incorporated into the host culture. This is, again, fine as far as this goes.

• Advanced Member

I declare 1389 (the upcoming year) as the year of Emam Khomeini and the glorious Islamic revolution of Iran (may it continue to prosper and grow).

Ya Ali Madad

hmm... :unsure: Inshallah the Islamic Revolution will try harder to implement Islam and to work together with their people in order to have a successful Government.

This is my view and I'm not bothered to explain why I believe them. Inshallah all Iranians will be united under one flag and hopefully Iranians will learn to respect eachother :)

Hopefully the enemies of The Islamic Revolution will perish and hopefully Emam Khomeinis sayings will be adhered.

Ya Ali

• Advanced Member

Happy Nawroz.

I find it very strange that we here in North West Pakistan also celebrate Nawroz, which as I understand is an exclusively Iranian festival?

Happy Nowruz... it's not an exclusively Iranian Festival as it's also celebrated by Kurds, Afghans etc. I knew that some parts of Pakistan also celebrated it but I didn't know where exactly. Do you guys celebrate it the way Iranians do?

happy nowruz to everyone that celebrates it!!

haha i cant wait to rake in the money tomorrow... gotta love being the youngest in my family :D lol

LOL ... Nowruz would not be completed without receiving money ! Grandparents are especially very generous :)

• Advanced Member

Happy Nowruz... it's not an exclusively Iranian Festival as it's also celebrated by Kurds, Afghans etc. I knew that some parts of Pakistan also celebrated it but I didn't know where exactly. Do you guys celebrate it the way Iranians do?

What I remember from childhood (Now I seldomly go to village for Nawruz) is that everybody in our village would cook Kheer(a sweet dish made from rice) and jello and other sweet dishes and we would sprinkle water on each other until everybody got bedraggled. It was quite some fun back then. A majlis was also formed to extol the virtues of Imam Ali(as) and all the children would be waiting outside with toy pistols loaded with wooden bullets and on every Naara e Haideri, it would be bang bang bang. Quite some time!

I know they celebrate it even now and the children would be enjoying it as we did. In the city we just cook Kheer and wish everybody as we are in a minority here and no one else celebrates it as far as I know.

• Advanced Member

What I remember from childhood (Now I seldomly go to village for Nawruz) is that everybody in our village would cook Kheer(a sweet dish made from rice) and jello and other sweet dishes and we would sprinkle water on each other until everybody got bedraggled. It was quite some fun back then. A majlis was also formed to extol the virtues of Imam Ali(as) and all the children would be waiting outside with toy pistols loaded with wooden bullets and on every Naara e Haideri, it would be bang bang bang. Quite some time!

I know they celebrate it even now and the children would be enjoying it as we did. In the city we just cook Kheer and wish everybody as we are in a minority here and no one else celebrates it as far as I know.

Cool... it's not exactly how we celebrate it but I guess each country has it's own customs.

• Advanced Member

Happy Nawroz.

I find it very strange that we here in North West Pakistan also celebrate Nawroz, which as I understand is an exclusively Iranian festival?

Me too , we call it in the east of saudi arabia nairouz and copts christians too .

• Forum Administrators

This is from the Islamic Centre of England publication Living Islam No.53. The centre is Iranian.

post-6473-12691100102159_thumb.jpg

Nowruz.pdf

Edited by Haji 2003
  • Advanced Member

Me too , we call it in the east of saudi arabia nairouz and copts christians too .

Thanks for the info bro. I didn't know so many people besides Iranians celebrated it.

This is from the Islamic Centre of England publication Living Islam No.53. The centre is Iranian.

post-6473-12691100102159_thumb.jpg

Thanks Haji for the link. It puts things in perspective.

It is said, ‘It is so that there are congregations in which Muslims gather together on that day, stand before the Honorable the Exalted God and praise Him for what He has bestowed upon them. That day is considered to be a special holiday and it is the day for the people to gather together. It is the day to break the fast, pay the alms-tax, long for and be humble to God, since that is the first day of the new year in which eating and drinking is allowed. This is because for the people of the truth the first month of the year is the (Arabic) month of Ramadhan. Thus, the Honorable the Exalted God likes them to hold congregations on that day in which they get together to praise and sanctify Him.’

http://www.maaref-foundation.com/english/library/hadith/uyun_akhbar_al_reza_2/04_2.htm

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I am reading Iran related news on Tehran Bureau and came across this message from President Obama to Iranians on celebration of Nowruuz :unsure:

Is this a new message?

Wow this pbs website is the most well funded anti-Irani blog/press website i have ever seen. The people over their must get paid alot to write those stories, try read and comment on them. I would encourage our Irani goverment supporters like barader_jackson to check it out, but this kinda stuff might give us all headaches.

Edited by pakistanyar
  • Veteran Member

I don't understand this man.

He talks of how the Iranian government is evil, of how he will continue to devote resources toward undermining it, of how they have not lived up to their international obligations, etc...

And then he says that his so-called "offer of dialogue" was met with a clenched fist?

[Edited Out] please.

• Advanced Member

Happy Nowruz everyone.

You missed the flag raising ceremonies in Hangu and Parachinar (I think this happens in Afghanistan too?).

• Advanced Member

Happy Nowruz everyone.

You missed the flag raising ceremonies in Hangu and Parachinar (I think this happens in Afghanistan too?).

My bad!

I distinctly remember shooting competitions of some kind in our village as well on Nawruz during the flag raising ceremony. Do they still do that?

• Veteran Member

UN General Assembly Recognizes 21 March as International Day of Nowruz,

The General Assembly this afternoon recognized the International Day of Nowruz, a spring festival of Persian origin.

According to the preamble of the resolution on the International Day (document A/64/L.30/Rev.2), Nowruz, which means new day, is celebrated on 21 March, the day of the vernal equinox, by more than 300 million people worldwide as the beginning of the new year. It has been celebrated for over 3,000 years in the Balkans, the Black Sea Basin, the Caucasus, Central Asia, the Middle East and other regions.

The Assembly called on Member States that celebrate the festival to study its history and traditions with a view to disseminating that knowledge among the international community and organizing annual commemoration events.

Read in full HERE

• Advanced Member

Good thing you gave the definition of "kheer" else you may have confused MANY Iranians...in a really bad way. :lol:

Hasan Sajjad

President

LOL.. i didn't get confused and I don't think any other Iranians even noticed!

Imam Sadegh: "And Nowroz was the day that Prophet appointed Ali as his successor in Qadeer Khum" --- Sheikh Al Tusi- Al Tahzib

The Hadith is referring to the event of Qadeer Khum which according to Solar/Shamsi Calendar calculations exactly happened at the first day of Spring (Nowroz)

Thats basically about it. I think the Prophet (p.b.u.h) also has a hadith regarding nowroz but i can´t find it.

• Veteran Member

Imam Sadegh: "And Nowroz was the day that Prophet appointed Ali as his successor in Qadeer Khum" --- Sheikh Al Tusi- Al Tahzib

The Hadith is referring to the event of Qadeer Khum which according to Solar/Shamsi Calendar calculations exactly happened at the first day of Spring (Nowroz)

Thats basically about it. I think the Prophet (p.b.u.h) also has a hadith regarding nowroz but i can´t find it.

Thank you.

I have read this and other hadiths with respect to Nawruz and hence, according to some, its Islamic significance. There are other hadiths which give a list of important events taking place on the day of Nawruz such as the flood of Prophet Noah, the creation of the universe etc happening on Nawruz [spring equinox].

Now, Nawruz was an Iranian festival celebrated many hundred years before the advent of Islam. So how and when did it gain Islamic significance? Was there any tradition among Arabs to celebrate spring equinox which would have then coincided with Iranian Nawruz?