In the Name of God بسم الله

Iraqi Election 2010

Rate this topic

Gypsy

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Iraqi election is on this Sunday March 7th 2010. You can view the background in and seat allocation here

The Voting has begun today for military, hospital patients and Iraqi expatriates in Jordan, Syria and 14 other countries.

The sad news is that the current security situation is not so great.

Al-Hayat reports in Arabic that authorities in the southern Shiite port city of Basra have arrested a group that is printing up counterfeit rulings or fatwas attributed to Grand Ayatollah Ali Sistani of Najaf, urging Shiites to vote for a specific party. Ayatollah Sistani has declared his neutrality in this election, though other grand ayatollahs seem to be plumping for the National Iraqi Alliance of Shiite religious parties led by cleric Ammar al-Hakim.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

The news reports says the voter turnout is pretty high.

In some neighbourhoods, mosque loudspeakers are exhorting people to go out and vote, and voters seem to be heeding the calls.

In Azamiyah (northern Baghdad), Walid Abid, 40, cast his vote to the crumple of mortars exploding not far away. "I am not scared and I am not going to stay put at home," said the father-of-two.

Until when? We need to change things. If I stay home and not come to vote, Azamiyah will get worse," AP quoted him as saying.

Live blogging

When are we going to see some result? :unsure: Do you think we will see any surprises ?

• Advanced Member

^ I don't understand, what do you mean by result?

Well, here in Melbourne hardly (when I say hardly I mean like 1/3 of the population - which is still a lot) any Shia's showed up to the election.

Yeah, we make more than 1/2 of the Iraqi's here, yet they hardly even care about the elections.

Then there's the Assyrians, Christians, they came from everywhere. Even from places that were hours away, just to cast their votes.

People who do not even have Iraqi visa's attempted to come and vote, yet those who have visa's are sitting at home, disgusted at those who did vote?

Why? Do they not care for their country?

:angry: :(

• Advanced Member

When are we going to see some result? :unsure: Do you think we will see any surprises ?

Maliki (337) will own and win majority of votes..then ba3thi Allawi and the Kurds will follow in a close 2nd.

BTW Iyad jamal al din lost many support and votes from Iraqis...im taking MANY when he recently called Muqtada a true patriot of Iraq in an interview. His views were good until he messed it up for himself..BIG TIME!

Turn out for voting in London is HUGE. Yesterday when I went the queue took 3 hours long to get in. The Kurds ofcourse were wooping around like idiots and waving there flag as though Iraq belongs to them. The police arrested some of them.

Anyway, the voting in Iraq closed an hour ago, they are counting it up now it should take untill tomorow to get prelimnary results.

According to the international observers (even the arab league observers) are saying that everything looked good and there was no problems or trouble at all :)

Edited by IraqLives1

• Advanced Member

I went to vote yesterday and I have to say I'm really pleased with the enthusiasm of the Iraqis here. InshAllah the best wins. Today's voted have run smoothly and its hard to miss the effort placed by the iraqis to take time out and go to a polling station to cast their vote.

I really hope Allawi doesn't win, the current count looks like a close between Almaliki and Allawi :unsure:

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Counting has started in the polling station (You may follow Iraq election on twitter, the channel is IraqElections)

Turnout estimates: 70% #Baghdad, 50% #Anbar (in 2005 only 2%), 70+% #Kirkuk, 65% #Mosul, 55% #Basra

Surprisingly “The bombings, it seems, provoked the people to vote,”.

Southern Iraq: “The turnout in the South seems to have been higher than it has been in past elections,” said the official. “The people had parties competing for their vote and that may have increased there participation.”

Kirkuk: An official with the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, Rizar Rashid, predicted that the main Kurdish alliance had won at least 45 percent of the vote in the region

In Falluja: At several polling stations in the city, most voters said they had cast their ballots for the coalition led by Ayad Allawi, who has emerged as a standard bearer for many Sunnis.

Can someone find some really good pictures showing the election? :unsure:

Guest Zahratul_Islam

(salam)

The news reports says the voter turnout is pretty high.

In some neighbourhoods, mosque loudspeakers are exhorting people to go out and vote, and voters seem to be heeding the calls.

Live blogging

People don't realize how frightening it really is for those people waiting in line to cast their vote. Ramped up security measures can only be so reassuring and the likelihood that you could meet a bloody end was incredibly high. Bravery like that can only come to a people who have been through so much they have very little to lose and quite a bit they hope to gain.

Maliki (337) will own and win majority of votes..then ba3thi Allawi and the Kurds will follow in a close 2nd.

BTW Iyad jamal al din lost many support and votes from Iraqis...im taking MANY when he recently called Muqtada a true patriot of Iraq in an interview. His views were good until he messed it up for himself..BIG TIME!

He never actually had a real chance of winning, which is why he felt comfortable saying many things that didn't exactly endear him. I don't think you ever fully understood that.. which is why you are now explaining away his loss of votes on one "big time" mess up. Come on now.. the guy literally hops around with his foot in his own mouth (this coming from someone who actually likes a fair bit of what he says). Lets not be disingenuous :angel:

Turn out for voting in London is HUGE. Yesterday when I went the queue took 3 hours long to get in. The Kurds ofcourse were wooping around like idiots and waving there flag as though Iraq belongs to them. The police arrested some of them.

Anyway, the voting in Iraq closed an hour ago, they are counting it up now it should take untill tomorow to get prelimnary results.

According to the international observers (even the arab league observers) are saying that everything looked good and there was no problems or trouble at all :)

Bitterness becomes Arabs. Kurds are a force to be reckoned with, a strongly united group that doesn't let the conflicts rife within their political party get in the way of their ultimate goal. Hope the number of Kurdish flags and rowdy, enthusiastic Kurds that managed to really get under your skin are a strong indicator that they finally have a voice and a substantial amount of influence ^_^ Haters can keep on hating. :angel:

And some more photos:

Group 1

Group 2

Group 3

Group 4

Group 5

Slideshow

These photos are great!

thanks for these!!

Edited by Zahratul_Islam

• Advanced Member

Do you have a link to what he exactly said?

----------------------

I didn't vote cuz I'm out of town :( I want that purple finger!

I hope Maliki wins.

Titchy thanks for the lovely pictures!

Edited by Noor-Alhuda

• Veteran Member

So you mean Hakim/Jahfari/Sadr+other coalition will win less than the 3 groups you named? LOL :D

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Iraq's electoral commission has urged Iraqi political parties to wait for the announcement of official results before declaring victory in the country's parliamentary poll.

"So far no tangible results have been reached.

"[but] there is no doubt that the outcome will pave the way for a new era of democratic system and peaceful rotation of power."

The commission is to announce preliminary results from the election on March 10-11, based on votes from about 30 per cent of the polling stations.

We have to wait 2-3 days for the result? Why is this taking soo long? :unsure:

• Advanced Member

He never actually had a real chance of winning, which is why he felt comfortable saying many things that didn't exactly endear him. I don't think you ever fully understood that.. which is why you are now explaining away his loss of votes on one "big time" mess up. Come on now.. the guy literally hops around with his foot in his own mouth (this coming from someone who actually likes a fair bit of what he says). Lets not be disingenuous :angel:

Thank you for stating the obvious. Who said he had any chance? I liked him because I agree with his views, which you failed to read from my posts in the other election thread. For him, it would be a big time loss of votes considering he has many fliberal supporters in Baghdad and the Northen provinces.

Do you have a link to what he exactly said?

http://www.ahrarparty.com/en/news/press/544-final-press-conference.html

• Advanced Member

We have to wait 2-3 days for the result? Why is this taking soo long? :unsure:

Welcome to Iraq. Everyone/every channel is saying different things for their political interests. A lot of the arabic sites though are saying that Maliki's State of Law party is winning by a huge margin.

I can't believe he said that. Even if he was comfortable with saying that...I wonder why he'd say such a thing.

Guest Zahratul_Islam

Thank you for stating the obvious. Who said he had any chance? I liked him because I agree with his views, which you failed to read from my posts in the other election thread. For him, it would be a big time loss of votes considering he has many fliberal supporters in Baghdad and the Northen provinces.

You're Welcome.

You never stated that he would definitely win (no one claimed any one candidate was going to win for certain) but you did emphasize and defend (to the best of your ability) that you would be voting for him. Rational people don't vote for candidates unless they believe that they "have a chance."

I am going to go against my better judgment here and assume you are a rational voter.. which would indicate that you would not waste your vote on a candidate who was not viable. Who wants to waste their vote? Is there a strategy here I am unaware of? Why would mentioning the loss of votes even be relevant if you never said he had a chance? And how did you come up with the fact that this comment lost him a substantial amount of votes? It takes political scientists years to figure these things out because they recognize that hindsight is always 20/20.

I am not saying everyone here has to be conducting research on the voting behavior of the Iraqi electorate, but we both know you were trying to explain away what everyone else figured out a long time ago.

Edited by Zahratul_Islam

17,000 iraqis voted in the UK. Considering the population of iraqis in the UK is 450,000. Around 250,000 iraqis outside iraq voted which is higher then in 2005 which was only 80,000.

A total of 62.5% Iraqis voted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8556065.stm

The highest turnout came from the kurdish provinces in the north. The kurds yearn for independance but they do not officially call for it nor do they demand it because they know they are nothing without the rest of Iraq. Maliki knows this, which is why he wont give in to there demands for kirkuk. Unlike the united iraqi alliance group which would kiss the kurds butts.

Edited by IraqLives1

• Advanced Member

How much is Maliki Loyal to Shia Madhab and to Agha Seestani as compared to other 3 Main Shia Parties? Please also enlighten us what is the difference among these 4 Major Shia Parties.

Also, are there Shias who are voting for Allawi? How much Allawi is against Agha Seestani and Religion itself?

Edited by Jibrael

• Veteran Member

Why low turnout in Shia provinces compare to Kurdish and Sunni ones? especially in populated provinces of Basra, Baghdad and Najaf....?

This is the full report of Iraq Elections Turnout, separation of provinces:

Duhok- 80%

Erbil - 76%

Sulaymania - 73%

Kirkuk - 73%

Salah Al Deen - 73%

Ninewa (Mosul)- 66%

Babil - 63%

Diyala - 62%

Karbala - 62%

Diwaniya - 62%

Al Anbar - 61%

Najaf - 61%

Al Muthanna - 61%

Dhi Qar - 60%

Wasit - 60%

Basra - 57%

Baghdad - 53%

Maysan - 50%

________

IRAQ - 62.4%

ABNA

• Advanced Member

So what's the result?

How much more time will it take for the counting to conclude?

(salam)

I think the counting is already done.

Don't they have a rule that say the ballots must be counted within 24 hours of polling station closing?

I am not sure why the result has not been officially announced.

• Advanced Member

ÇáÇÆÊáÇÝ ÇáæØäí ÇáÚÑÇÞí íåÏÏ ÈÇáØÚä

ÅÚáÇä 30% ãä ÇáäÊÇÆÌ ÇáÃæáíÉ áÇäÊÎÇÈÇÊ ÇáÚÑÇÞ Çáíæã

ÊÞÏã ÇÆÊáÇÝ ÇáãÇáßídot_next.giflarge_25113_102699.jpg

ÇáäÊÇÆÌ ÓÊÙåÑ ÚäÏ ÇáÇäÊåÇÁ ãä ÝÑÒ 30% ãä ÇáÃÕæÇÊdot_blue.gif</IMG>

ÈÛÏÇÏ- æßÇáÇÊ

ÃßÏÊ ÇáãÝæÖíÉ ÇáÚáíÇ ÇáãÓÊÞáÉ ááÇäÊÎÇÈÇÊ Ýí ÇáÚÑÇÞ ÃäåÇ ÓÊÚáä Çáíæã ÇáÎãíÓ 11-3-2010 ãÇ äÓÈÊå 30% ãä ÇáäÊÇÆÌ ÇáÃæáíÉ ááÇäÊÎÇÈÇÊ.

æßÔÝÊ ÚÖæ ãÌáÓ ÇáãÝæÖíä Ýí ÇáãÝæÖíÉ ÇáÚáíÇ¡ Ããá ÇáÈíÑÞÏÇÑ¡ Ãäå ßÇä ãä ÇáãÞÑÑ Ãä ÊÚáä ÇáäÊÇÆÌ ÇáÃæáíÉ íæã ÃãÓ áßä ÚÏã ÇßÊãÇá ÅÏÎÇá ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ ÍÇá Ïæä Ðáß æÊã ÊÃÌíá ÅÚáÇäåÇ Åáì Çáíæã".

æÃÖÇÝÊ "Åä ÇáÚãá ÊæÇÕá ÃãÓ¡ æÞØÚäÇ ÔæØÇð ßÈíÑÇð æÓíÓÊãÑ åÐÇ Çáíæã ÇáÚãá áÊßæä ÌÇåÒÉ æÊÚáä äÓÈÉ 30% Ýí æÞÊ áÇÍÞ ãä åÐÇ Çáíæã".

æÃÔÇÑÊ ÇáÈíÑÞÏÇÑ Åáì Ãä "åÐå ÇáäÓÈÉ ÊÔãá ÌãíÚ ãÍÇÝÙÇÊ ÇáÚÑÇÞ æáíÓ ãÍÇÝÙÇÊ ãÚíäÉ Ïæä ÃÎÑì".

æßÇä ãÓÄæáæä Ýí ÇáãÝæÖíÉ ÇáÚáíÇ ááÇäÊÎÇÈÇÊ æããËá ÇáÃãã ÇáãÊÍÏÉ ÃÚáäæÇ Ãä ÇáäÊÇÆÌ ÇáÌÒÆíÉ ááÇäÊÎÇÈÇÊ ÇáÊÔÑíÚíÉ ÓÊÈÏà Ýí ÇáÙåæÑ ÇáÎãíÓ.

æÞÇáÊ ãÏíÑÉ ÇáÏÇÆÑÉ ÇáÇäÊÎÇÈíÉ ÍãÏíÉ ÇáÍÓíäí Åä "ÇáÚÏ æÇáÝÑÒ íÓíÑÇä ÈÔßá ØÈíÚí æáíÓ åäÇß Ãí ãÔÇßá æÓÊÚáä ÇáäÊÇÆÌ ÇáÌÒÆíÉ ÇáÎãíÓ".

ãä ÌåÊå¡ ÞÇá ããËá ÇáÃãíä ÇáÚÇã ááÃãã ÇáãÊÍÏÉ ÂÏ ãíáßÑÊ ááÕÍÇÝííä Åä "ÇáäÊÇÆÌ ÇáÌÒÆíÉ ÓÊÙåÑ ÇáÎãíÓ. æãä Çáãåã Ãä íÞÈáåÇ ÇáÌãíÚ ãÏÑßíä ÃäåÇ áíÓÊ äåÇÆíÉ".

æÃÖÇÝ Ãä "ÚãáíÉ ÇáÚÏ æÇáÝÑÒ ÊÊÓã ÈÇáäÒÇåÉ. ÃÚÊÞÏ Ãä ãä ÇáÅäÕÇÝ ÇáÞæá Åä ÇáÚÇáã ãäÏåÔ ááãåäíÉ ÇáÊí ÌÑÊ ÝíåÇ åÐå ÇáÇäÊÎÇÈÇÊ".

ÞÏã ÇÆÊáÇÝ ÇáãÇáßí

æÝíãÇ íäÊÙÑ ÇáÚÑÇÞíæä ÈÝÇÑÛ ÇáÕÈÑ ÅÚáÇä ÇáäÊÇÆÌ ÇáÃæáíÉ¡ åÏÏ ÇáÇÆÊáÇÝ ÇáæØäí ÇáÚÑÇÞí ÈÇáØÚä Ýí äÊÇÆÌ ÇáÇäÊÎÇÈÇÊ ÇáÃÎíÑÉ ÅÐÇ ÃÙåÑÊ ÇáãÝæÖíÉ äÊÇÆÌ ãÛÇíÑÉ áÊáß ÇáÊí ÓÌáåÇ ãä ÎáÇá ãÑÇÞÈíå ÇáãäÊÔÑíä Ýí ÚÏÏ ãä ÇáãÍÇÝÙÇÊ ÇáÚÑÇÞíÉ.

æÃßÏ ÇáÇÆÊáÇÝ Ãäå Íá Ýí ÇáãÑÊÈÉ ÇáËÇäíÉ ÈÝÇÑÞ ÈÓíØ Úä ãäÇÝÓå ÇÆÊáÇÝ ÏæáÉ ÇáÞÇäæä¡ Ýí Ííä ÍáÊ ÇáÞÇÆãÉ ÇáÚÑÇÞíÉ Ýí ÇáãÑÊÈÉ ÇáËÇáËÉ Ýí ÅÍÏì ÚÔÑÉ ãÍÇÝÙÉ ÃÈÑÒåÇ ÈÛÏÇÏ.

æÞÇá ÇáÇÆÊáÇÝ ÇáæØäí ÇáÚÑÇÞí Ãäå æÝÞÇð ááÅÍÕÇÁÇÊ ÛíÑ ÇáÑÓãíÉ ÝÅä ÞÇÆãÉ ÑÆíÓ ÇáæÒÑÇÁ äæÑí ÇáãÇáßí ÊÊÞÏã Ýí ÚÔÑ ãÍÇÝÙÇÊ Úáì ÇáÃÞá ãä ÃÕá 18 ãÍÇÝÙÉ ÚÑÇÞíÉ.

æÊÞÏíÑÇÊ ÇáÇÆÊáÇÝ ÇáæØäí ÇáÚÑÇÞí åí ÃÍÏË ãÄÔÑ Úáì Ãä ÇÆÊáÇÝ ÏæáÉ ÇáÞÇäæä ÇáÐí íÊÒÚãå ÇáãÇáßí Ýí æÖÚ ÌíÏ íÊíÍ áå ÇáÍÕæá Úáì äÕíÈ ßÈíÑ ãä ãÞÇÚÏ ÇáÈÑáãÇä ÇáÈÇáÛ ÚÏÏåÇ 325 ãÞÚÏÇð.

æáÇ íæÌÏ ãÄÔÑ Úáì Ãä Ãí ßÊáÉ ÓÊÝæÒ ÈÃÛáÈíÉ¡ æãä ÇáãÑÌÍ Ãä íÚÞÈ Ðáß ÚÏÉ ÃÓÇÈíÚ ãä ÇáãÝÇæÖÇÊ áÊÔßíá ÇÆÊáÇÝ Íßæãí.

æÞÇá ÞÕí ÚÈÏ ÇáæåÇÈ ãÑÔÍ ÇáÇÆÊáÇÝ ÇáæØäí ÇáÚÑÇÞí Åä ÇÆÊáÇÝ ÏæáÉ ÇáÞÇäæä íÊÞÏã ÈÝÇÑÞ ÕÛíÑ ÍíË ÍÕá Úáì 9.1 ãáíæä ÕæÊ Ýí 11 ãÍÇÝÙÉ ÈíäãÇ ÍÕá ÇáÇÆÊáÇÝ ÇáæØäí ÇáÚÑÇÞí Úáì 8.1 ãáíæä ÕæÊ æÝÞÇð ááÝÑÒ ÇáÐí ÞÇãæÇ Èå. æÊÔíÑ ÅÍÕÇÁÇÊ ÃÎÑì Åáì Ãä ÇáÝÌæÉ Èíä ÇáÇËäíä ÃæÓÚ.

æÞÇá ÚÈÏ ÇáæåÇÈ "åÐå ÇáäÊÇÆÌ ÊÔßá 85 ÈÇáãÆÉ ÊÞÑíÈÇð ãä ÇáäÊÇÆÌ ÇáäåÇÆíÉ. ÈÞíÊ ãÍÇÝÙÇÊ ßÑÏÓÊÇä æÇáÃäÈÇÑ æÇáãæÕá æßÑßæß æÕáÇÍ ÇáÏíä æÏíÇáì".

æÊÔãá ÇáãÍÇÝÙÇÊ ÇáÊí ÊÑßÊ ãÚÇÞá ÇáÓäÉ ãËá ÇáÃäÈÇÑ ÍíË ãä ÛíÑ ÇáãÑÌÍ Ãä íßæä ÇáÊÃííÏ ÇáÐí íÍÙì Èå ÇáãÇáßí ÞæíÇð.

æÞÇá ÚÈÏ ÇáæåÇÈ Åä ÅÍÕÇÁ ÇáÇÆÊáÇÝ ÇáæØäí ÇáÚÑÇÞí áã íÔãá ÇáÊÕæíÊ ÇáÎÇÕ ÇáÐí íÖã ÇáÔÑØÉ æÇáÌäæÏ æÇáÓÌäÇÁ Ãæ ÃÕæÇÊ ÇáÚÑÇÞííä ÇáÐíä íÞíãæä Ýí Ïæá ÃÎÑì.

æÞÇá ÃÚÖÇÁ Ýí ÇÆÊáÇÝ ÇáãÇáßí Åäåã íÊæÞÚæä Ãä íßæä ÇÆÊáÇÝ ÏæáÉ ÇáÞÇäæä ÃßÈÑ ßÊáÉ Ýí ÇáÈÑáãÇä ÇáÞÇÏã áßäå íÍÊÇÌ áÊÔßíá ÇÆÊáÇÝ ãÚ ÞÇÆãÉ Ãæ ÞÇÆãÊíä ÃÎÑííä.

ææÝÞÇ áÇÍÕÇÁÇÊ ÛíÑ ÑÓãíÉ ÝÅä ÞÇÆãÉ ÑÆíÓ ÇáæÒÑÇÁ ÇáÓÇÈÞ ÅíÇÏ ÚáÇæí ÊÍÞÞ äÊÇÆÌ ÌíÏÉ Ýí ÇáãäÇØÞ

News souns good so far, all in our favour. InshAllah a majority win!

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Early Iraq poll results suggest close contest

Mr Maliki leads in two Shia provinces south of Baghdad while Mr Allawi is in the lead in two provinces to the north.

Iraqiya has listed a series of alleged violations, saying some of its votes had been removed from boxes and replaced by other ballots.

"Insistence in manipulating these elections forces us to question whether the possibility of fraudulent results would make the final results worthless. We will not stand by with our arms crossed," a statement from the alliance said.

The election commission says it will look into complaints of fraud, but officials say they are overwhelmed by the task of counting votes.

• Advanced Member

Some reports have claimed Allawi to be 'neck-and-neck' with Maliki, which raises alarm bells given the former's relative unpopularity, even though the results are still partial. I'm quite concerned about two things 1) the claim that US troops were responsible for transporting the ballot boxes from the provinces to Baghdad and 2) the time it's taking to announce results and persistent delays in doing so.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Fraud allegations made by Ayad Allawi are likely to be part of an effort to save his political skin. Sunday’s election was far from “free and fair”. But Mr Allawi has failed to present enough evidence to show that irregularities were systematic and widespread.

According to Western observers and officials, manipulating the tallying of votes would be extremely difficult.

All results are entered into a secure computer system twice by two different people in different locations. As soon as a discrepancy shows up, a supervised recount is conducted.

Tampering with the election computers would be even more difficult, insiders say. The system scans entries for sudden changes and logs all data shifts for subsequent checks.

Related Links

“Anyone attempting fraud would need the co-operation of the UN and the election commission,” said one official.

It appears that Mr Allawi is slightly behind Mr al-Maliki in the overall count. Neither man is likely to get enough votes to be able to form a government on his own. Both will need coalition partners.