Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Celebrating The Birthday Of Prophet Bida?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

The following was a mail send by a Salafi friend of mine. I do celebrate the birthday of Prophet Muhammad pbuh.gif by reciting Maulid (history of Prophet and praises on him) in mosques, doing dhikr , distributing sweets etc. I don't understand what is wrong in doing all this. How can this be called a bidah? I need to know what's the shia view on celebrating this event ( though on a different date).

Ruling on Celebrating Prophet's Birthday, with Scholarly Refutation of the arguments brought by those who support it, by Shaikh Dr. Saalih ibn Fawzaan al-Fawzaan

Praise be to Allaah the Lord of the Worlds, and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and all his family and companions. The commands mentioned in the Qur'aan and Sunnah to follow the laws of Allaah (subhanahu wa ta'aala) and His Messenger (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam), and the prohibitions on introducing innovations into the religion are quite clear. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): "Say (O Muhammad to mankind): 'If you (really) love Allaah, then follow me (i.e. accept Islamic Monotheism, follow the Qur'aan and the Sunnah), Allaah will love you and forgive you your sins.'" [Aal 'Imraan 3:31] "Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord (the Qur'aan and Prophet Muhammad's Sunnah), and follow not any Awliyaa' (protectors and helpers who order you to associate partners in worship with Allaah), besides Him (Allaah). Little do you remember!" [al-A'raaf 7:3] "And verily, this is My straight path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His path." [al-A'naam 6:153] And the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: "The most truthful of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad, and the most evil of things are those which are newly-invented." And he (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever innovates anything in this matter of ours (i.e., Islam), that is not part of it will have it rejected." (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, no. 2697; Muslim, no. 1718). According to a version narrated by Muslim, "Whoever doe anything that is not in accordance with this matter of ours (i.e., Islam), will have it rejected." Among the reprehensible innovations that people have invented is the celebration of the birthday of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) in the month of Rabee' al-Awwal. They celebrate this occasion in various ways: Some of them simply make it an occasion to gather and read the story of the Mawlid, then they present speeches and qaseedahs (odes) for this occasion. Some of them make food and sweets etc., and offer them to the people present. Some of them hold these celebrations in the mosques, and some of them hold them in their houses. Some people do not limit themselves to the actions mentioned above; they include in these gatherings haraam and reprehensible things, such as free mixing of men and women, dancing and singing, or committing actions of shirk such as seeking the help of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam), calling upon him, seeking his support against their enemies and so on. Whatever form it takes and whatever the intentions of those who do this are, there is no doubt whatsoever that it is an invented, haraam innovation which was introduced by the Shi'a Faatimids after the three best centuries, in order to corrupt the religion of the Muslims. The first person to do this after them was the king al-Muzaffar Abu Sa'eed Kawkaboori, the king of Irbil, at the end of the sixth century or the beginning of the seventh century AH, as was mentioned by the historians such as Ibn Khalkaan and others. Abu Shaamah said: the first person to do that in Mosul was Shaykh 'Umar ibn Muhammad al-Malaa, one of the well-known righteous people. Then the ruler of Irbil and others followed his example. Al-Haafiz Ibn Katheer said in al-Bidaayah wa'l-Nihaayah (13/137), in his biography of Abu Sa'eed Kazkaboori: "He used to observe the Mawlid in Rabee' al-Awwal and hold a huge celebration on that occasion... some of those who were present at the feast of al-Muzaffar on some occasions of the Mawlid said that he used to offer in the feast five thousand grilled heads of sheep, ten thousand chickens and one hundred thousand large dishes, and thirty trays of sweets... he would let the Sufis sing from Zuhr until Fajr, and he himself would dance with them." Ibn Khalkaan said in Wafiyaat al-A'yaan (3/274): "When it is the first of Safar they decorate those domes with various kinds of fancy adornments, and in every dome there sits a group of singers and a group of puppeteers and players of musical instruments, and they do not leave any one of those domes without setting up a group (of performers) there. The people give up work during this period, and they do no work except going around and watching the entertainment. When there are two days to go until the Mawlid, they bring out a large number of camels, cows and sheep, more than can be described, and they accompany them with all the drums, songs and musical instruments that they have, until they bring them to the square... On the night of the Mawlid there are performances of nasheed after Maghrib in the citadel." This is the origin of this celebration on the occasion of the Prophet's birthday. More recently idle entertainment, extravagance, and wasting of money and time have become associated with an innovation for which Allaah (subhanahu wa ta'aala) has not sent down any authority.

quote:

What Muslims should do is revive the Sunnah and put an end to bid'ah (innovation); they should not do any action until they know the ruling of Allaah (subhanahu wa ta'aala) concerning it.

Reasons for the Forbiddance of celebrating the Prophet's birthday

Celebrating the occasion of the birthday of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) is forbidden and is to be rejected for a number of reasons:

1 - It is not part of the Sunnah of the Messenger (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) or of the khaleefahs who succeeded him. Since this is the case, then it is a forbidden innovation, because the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: "I urge you to follow my Sunnah and the way of the rightly-guided khaleefahs after me; adhere to it and cling to it firmly. Beware of newly-invented things, for every newly-invented thing is an innovation (bid'ah) and every innovation is a going astray." (Narrated by Ahmad, 4/126; al-Tirmidhi no. 2676).

Celebrating the Mawlid is an innovation introduced by the Shi'a Faatimids after the three best centuries in order to corrupt the religion of the Muslims. If a person does anything in order to draw closer to Allaah which was not done by the Messenger (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) or enjoined by him, and was not done by the khaleefahs who succeeded him, this action implies that he is accusing the Messenger of not explaining the religion to the people, and that he disbelieves in the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):

"This day, I have perfected your religion for you." [al-Maa'idah 5:3] because he is adding something extra and claiming that it is a part of the religion, but the Messenger (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) did not bring this.

2 - Celebrating the birthday of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) is an imitation of the Christians, because they celebrate the birth of the Messiah (peace be upon him). Imitating them is extremely haraam. The hadeeth tells us that it is forbidden to imitate the kuffaar, and we are commanded to differ from them. The Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them." (Narrated by Ahmad, 2/50; Abu Dawood, 4/314). And he said, "Be different from the mushrikeen." (narrated by Muslim, 1/222, no. 259) - especially with regard to things that are the symbols or rituals of their religion.

3 - Besides being bid'ah and an imitation of the Christians, both of which are haraam, celebrating the birthday of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) is also a means that leads to exaggeration and excess in venerating him, which even goes as far as calling upon him (making du'aa' to him) and seeking his help, instead of calling upon Allaah, as happens now among many of those who observe the bid'ah of the Mawlid, when they call upon the Messenger instead of Allaah, and ask him for support, and sing qaseedahs (odes) of shirk praising him, like Qaseedat al-Burdah etc. The Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) forbade going to extremes in praising him, as he said: "Do not extol as the Christians extolled the son of Maryam. For I am just His slave, so say, the slave of Allaah and His Messenger." (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4/142, no. 3445; al-Fath, 6/551), i.e., do not exaggerate in praising me as the Christians exaggerated in praising the Messiah and venerated him until they worshipped him instead of Allaah. Allaah forbade them to do that when he said (interpretation of the meaning):

"O people of the Scripture (Christians) ! Do not exceed the limits in your religion, nor say of Allaah aught but the truth. The Messiah 'Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), was (no more than) a Messenger of Allaah and His Word, ("Be!" - and he was) which He bestowed on Maryam (Mary) and a spirit (Rooh) created by Him." [an-Nisaa' 4:171]

Our Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) forbade us to exaggerate concerning him lest the same thing happen to us as happened to them, so he said: "Beware of exaggeration, for those who came before you were destroyed because of exaggeration." (narrated by al-Nasaa'i, 5/268; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Nasaa'i, no. 2863).

4 - Observing the innovation of the Prophet's birthday opens the door to other kinds of bid'ah and being distracted by them from the Sunnah. Hence you find that the innovators are very active when it comes to bid'ah and very lazy when it comes to the Sunnah; they hate it and regard those who follow it as enemies, until their entire religion is innovated anniversaries and Mawlids. They have split into various groups, each of which commemorates the anniversary of its imaam's birth, such as the births of al-Badawi, Ibn 'Arabi, al-Dasooqi and al-Shaadhili. No sooner do they end the celebration of one birthday but they start the celebration of another. This results in exaggeration concerning these dead people and others, and in calling upon them instead of Allaah, believing that they can bring benefit and cause harm, until they deviate from the religion of Allaah and go back to the religion of the people of the Jaahiliyyah of whom Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

"And they worship besides Allaah things that harm them not, nor profit them, and they say: 'These are our intercessors with Allaah.'" [Yoonus 10:18]

"And those who take Awliyaa' (protectors, helpers, lords, gods) besides Him (say): 'We worship them only that they may bring us near to Allaah.'" [al-Zumar 39:3]

Refuting the specious arguments of those who celebrate the Mawlid

Those who think that this bid'ah should be continued produce specious arguments which are flimsier than a spider's web. These specious arguments may be dealt with as follows:

[First Doubt] - Their claim that this is veneration of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam):

quote:

The response to that is that the way to venerate him is to obey him, do as he commanded and avoid that which he forbade, and to love him; he is not to be venerated through innovations, myths and sins. Celebrating his birthday is of this blameworthy type because it is a sin. The people who venerated the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) the most were the Sahaabah (radiallaahu 'anhum), as 'Urwah ibn Mas'ood said to Quraysh: "O people, by Allaah I have visited kings. I went to Caesar, Chosroes and the Negus, but by Allaah I never saw a king whose companions venerated him as much as the companions of Muhammad venerated Muhammad (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam). By Allaah, whenever he spat, it never fell on the ground, it fell into into the hand of one his companions, then they wiped their faces and skins with it. If he instructed them to do something, they would hasten to do as he commanded. When he did wudoo', they would almost fight over his water. When he spoke, they would lower their voices in his presence; and they did not stare at him out of respect for him." (al-Bukhaari, 3/178, no. 2731, 2732; al-Fath, 5/388). Yet despite this level of veneration, they never took the day of his birth as an 'Eid (festival). If that had been prescribed in Islam, they would not have neglected to do that.

[second Doubt] - Using as evidence the fact that many people in many countries do this.

quote:

The response to that is that evidence consists of that which is proven from the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam), and what is proven from the Prophet is that innovations are forbidden in general, and this is an innovation. What people do, if it goes against the evidence (daleel), does not prove anything, even if many of them do it. "And if you obey most of those on the earth, they will mislead you far away from Allaah's path." [al-An'aam 6:116 - interpretation of the meaning]

quote:

Nevertheless, in every age, praise be to Allaah, there have always been those who denounce this bid'ah and state clearly that it is false. Those who persist in following it after the truth had been explained to them have no proof.

Among those who denounced the celebration of this occasion was Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, in Iqtidaa' al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem; Imaam al-Shaatibi in al-'I'tisaam; Ibn al-Haaj in al-Madkhil; Shaykh Taaj al-Deen 'Ali ibn 'Umar al-Lakhami who wrote an entire book denouncing it; Shaykh Muhammad Basheer al-Sahsawaani al-Hindi in his book Siyaanah al-Insaan; al-Sayyid Muhammad Rasheed Ridaa wrote a separate essay on this topic; Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem Aal al-Shaykh wrote a separate essay on it; Shaykh 'Abd al-'Azeez ibn Baaz; and others who are still writing and denouncing this bid'ah every year in the pages of newspapers and magazines, at the time when this bid'ah is being done.

[Third Doubt] - They say that by celebrating the Mawlid they are keeping the memory of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) alive.

quote:

The answer to that is that the memory of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) is constantly kept alive by the Muslim, such as when his name (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) is mentioned in the adhaan and iqaamah and in khutbahs, and every time the Muslim recites the Shahaadatayn after doing wudoo' and in the prayers, and every time he sends blessings upon the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) in his prayers and when he is mentioned, and every time the Muslim does a waajib (obligatory) or mustahabb (recommended) action that was prescribed by the Messenger (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam). In all of these ways (the Muslim) remembers him and the reward equivalent to the reward of the one who does that action goes back to the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam). Thus the Muslim constantly keeps the memory of the Messenger alive and has a connection with him night and day throughout his life through that which Allaah has prescribed, not only on the day of the Mawlid and things which are bid'ah and go against the Sunnah, for that puts one at a distance from the Messenger (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) and the Messenger will disown him because of that. The Messenger (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) has no need of this innovated celebration, because Allaah has already bestowed veneration and respect upon him, as He says: "and raised high your fame." [al-Sharh 94:4] For Allaah is not mentioned in the adhaan, iqaamah or khutbah, except that the Messenger (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) is mentioned after Him; this is sufficient veneration, love and renewal of his memory, and sufficient encouragement to follow him. Allaah did not refer to the birth of the Messenger (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) in the Qur'aan, rather He referred to his Mission, and says (interpretation of the meaning): "Indeed, Allaah conferred a great favour on the believers when He sent among them a Messenger (Muhammad) from among themselves." [Aal 'Imraan 3:124] "He it is Who sent among the unlettered ones a Messenger (Muhammad) from among themselves." [al-Jumu'ah 64:2]

[Fourth Doubt] - They may say that the celebration of the Prophet's birthday was introduced by a knowledgeable and just king who intended thereby to draw closer to Allaah.

quote:

Our response to that is that bid'ah is not acceptable, no matter who does it. A good intention does not justify a bad deed and even if a person died as a knowledgeable and righteous person, this does not mean that he was infallible.

[Fifth Doubt] - They say that celebrating the mawlid comes under the heading of bid'ah hasanah ("good innovation") because it is based on giving thanks to Allaah for the Prophet!

quote:

Our response to that is that there is nothing good in innovation. The Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever innovates anything in this matter of ours (i.e., Islam), that is not part of it will have it rejected." (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, no. 2697; al-Fath, 5/355). And he said, "Every innovation is a going astray." (Narrated by Ahmad, 4/126; al-Tirmidhi, no. 2676). The ruling on innovations is that they are all misguidance, but this specious argument suggests that not every bid'ah is a going astray, rather there are good innovations. Al-Haafiz ibn Rajab said in Sharh al-Arba'een: "The words of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam), 'every innovation is a going astray' is a concise but comprehensive comment which includes everything; it is one of the most important principles of religion. It is like his words 'Whoever innovates anything in this matter of ours (i.e., Islam), that is not part of it will have it rejected.' (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3/167, no. 2697; al-Fath, 5/355). Whoever innovates anything and attributes it to Islam when it has no basis in the religion, this is a going astray and is nothing to do with Islam, whether that has to do with matters of belief ('aqeedah) or outward and inward words and deeds." (Jaami' al-'Uloom wa'l-Hakam, p. 233) These people have no proof that there is any such thing as a "good innovation" apart from the words of 'Umar (radiallaahu 'anhu) concerning Taraaweeh prayers, "What a good innovation this is." (Saheeh al-Bukhaari, 2/252, no. 2010 mu'allaqan; al-Fath 4/294). They also said that things were innovated which were not denounced by the salaf, such as compiling the Qur'aan into one volume and writing and compiling the hadeeth.

quote:

The response to that is that these matters had a basis in Islam, so they were not newly-invented. 'Umar said: "What a good bid'ah" meaning innovation in the linguistic sense, not in the shar'i sense. Whatever has a basis in Islam, if it is described as an innovation, is an innovation in the linguistic sense, not in the shar'i sense, because innovation in the shar'i sense means that which has no basis in Islam. Compiling the Qur'aan into one book has a basis in Islam, because the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) had commanded that the Qur'aan be written down, but it was scattered, so the Sahaabah compiled it in one volume so as so protect and preserve it. The Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) led his companions in praying Taraaweeh for a while, then he stopped doing that, lest that become obligatory on them. The Sahaabah (radiallaahu 'anhum) continued to pray it separately during the life of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) and after his death, until 'Umar ibn al-Khattaab (radiallaahu 'anhu) gathered them behind one imaam as they used to pray behind the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam). This was not an innovation introduced into the religion. Writing down the hadeeth also has a basis in Islam. The Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) ordered that some ahaadeeth should be written down for some of his companions when they asked him for that. In general terms writing it down during his lifetime was not allowed, for fear that the Qur'aan might be mixed with things that were not part of it. When the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) died, this fear was no longer a factor, because the Qur'aan had been completed and arranged in order before he died. The Muslims compiled the Sunnah after that in order to preserve it and keep it from being lost. May Allaah reward them with good on behalf of Islam and the Muslims, because they preserved the Book of their Lord and the Sunnah of their Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) from being lost or being tampered with. We may also say to them: why was this act of thanksgiving, as they call it, not done by the best generations, the Sahaabah, Taabi'een and followers of the Taabi'een, who loved the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) most and who were most keen to do good and give thanks? Are those who introduced the innovation of the Mawlid more rightly-guided than them? Do they give more thanks to Allaah? Definitely not!

[sixth Doubt] - They may say that celebrating the birthday of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) is indicative of their love for him; this is one way of showing that, and showing love of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) is prescribed in Islam!

quote:

The answer to that is that undoubtedly loving the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) is obligatory for every Muslim; he should love him more than he loves himself, his child, his father and all the people - may my father and mother be sacrificed for him - but that does not mean that we should introduce innovations for doing so that have not been prescribed for us. Loving him dictates that we should obey him and follow him, for that is one of the greatest manifestations of love, as it is said: "If your love is sincere then obey him; for the lover obeys the one whom he loves." Loving the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) implies keeping his Sunnah alive, adhering firmly to it, and avoiding words and deeds that go against it. Undoubtedly everything that goes against his Sunnah is a reprehensible innovation (bid'ah) and a manifest act of disobedience. That includes celebrating his birthday and other kinds of bid'ah. A good intention does not mean that it is permissible to introduce innovations into the religion. Islam is based on two things, purity of intention and following [the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam)]. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): "Yes, but whoever submits his face (himself) to Allaah (i.e. follows Allaah's religion of Islamic Monotheism) and he is a Muhsin (a doer of good) then his reward is with his Lord (Allaah), on such shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve." [al-Baqarah 2:112] Submitting one's face to Allaah means being sincere towards Allaah, and doing good means following the Messenger and implementing the Sunnah.

[seventh Doubt] - Another of their specious arguments is when they say that by celebrating the Mawlid and reading the biography of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) on this occasion, they are encouraging people to follow his example!

quote:

We say to them that reading the biography of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) and following his example are required of the Muslim all the time, all year long and throughout his life. Singling out a specific day for that with no evidence for doing so is an innovation, and every innovation is a going astray." (Narrated by Ahmad, 4/164; al-Tirmidhi, 2676). Bid'ah does not bear any fruit but evil and it leads to a person distancing himself from the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam). In conclusion, celebrating the birthday of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam), whatever form it takes, is a reprehensible innovation. The Muslims should put a stop to this and other kinds of bid'ah, and occupy themselves with reviving and adhering to the Sunnah. They should not be deceived by those who promote and defend this bid'ah, for these types of people are more interested in keeping innovations alive than in reviving the Sunnah; they may not even care about the Sunnah at all. Whoever is like this, it is not permissible to imitate him or follow his example, even if the majority of people are like this. Rather we should follow the example of those who follow the path of the Sunnah, among the righteous salaf and their followers, even if they are few. Truth is not measured by the men who speak it, rather men are measured by the truth. The Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever among you lives (for a long time) will see many differences. I urge you to follow my Sunnah and the way of the rightly-guided khaleefahs who come after me. Hold on to it firmly. Beware of newly-invented matters, for every innovation is a going astray." (Narrated by Ahmad, 4/126; al-Tirmidhi no. 2676). So the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) explained to us in this hadeeth what we should do when there are differences of opinion, just as he explained that everything that goes against his Sunnah, be it words or deeds, is a bid'ah, and every bid'ah is a going astray. If we see that there is no basis for celebrating the birthday of the Prophet, whether in the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) or in the way of the rightly-guided khaleefahs, then it is one of the newly-invented matters, one of the bid'ahs which lead people astray. This principle is what is implied by this hadeeth and is what is indicated by the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): "O you who believe! Obey Allaah and obey the Messenger (Muhammad), and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority. (And) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allaah and His Messenger, if you believe in Allaah and in the Last Day. That is better and more suitable for final determination." [al-Nisaa' 4:59] Referring to Allaah means referring to His Book, and referring to the Messenger (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) means referring to his Sunnah after he has passed away. The Qur'aan and Sunnah are the reference point in cases of dispute. Where in the Qur'aan or Sunnah does it indicate that it is prescribed in Islam to celebrate the Prophet's birthday? Whoever does that or thinks that it is good must repent to Allaah from this and from other kinds of bid'ah. This is the attitude of the Muslim who is seeking the truth. But whoever is too stubborn and arrogant after proof has been established, then his reckoning will be with his Lord.

We ask Allaah to help us adhere to His Book and the Sunnah of His Messenger (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) until the Day when we will meet Him. May Allaah grant blessings and peace to our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

• Site Administrators

The following was a mail send by a Salafi friend of mine. I do celebrate the birthday of Prophet Muhammad pbuh.gif by reciting Maulid (history of Prophet and praises on him) in mosques, doing dhikr , distributing sweets etc. I don't understand what is wrong in doing all this. How can this be called a bidah? I need to know what's the shia view on celebrating this event ( though on a different date).

Salams

We just need to have a bit of common sense to understand this whole concept. Islam is mean't to be a religion for all mankind up to the day of Qayamah. So why would Islam stop any social or scientific progress by calling it an innovation ? Please refer to the link below (Starting from 18:30). Maulana Ishaq confirms that the narrations such as those in Ibn Majah which criticize every innovation are False. He also explains how in sunni Islam, most of the scholars believe that innovations are of various types. There are innovations which are bad and there are innovations which are good in religion. And he also gives examples such as the 2 azaans or taraweeh which are good innovations. And he refers to the Birthday of the Holy Prophet as a good innovation and finds nothing wrong in celebrating the event.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9031181739160070561#

Fi-Amanillah

• Advanced Member

Sallamun Alaykum

its funny how bidda is allowed for them but not for us from their understanding of bidda.

ofcourse their understanding of what bidda is incorrect there are two hadiths one in bukhari and one in muslim where the prophet tells people adding a good practice in islam is a good thing and u will be blessed for it and vice verca although i see it as a cultiral act which is religious anyway probably they try to say its bidda is bcz the practice originated from the shia and they hate shia and dont like anything the shia do even if it is good.

as far as ive asked there is no such thing as a good bidda there is only bidda which is bad as for the practices in celebrating the prophets birth it is a practice which is good but it is not lieraly a bidda.

ws wr wb

• 6 years later...
  • Basic Members

Bismillahirahmaniraheem.

As-salämu ‘alaikum. May the peace of God be with all of you. May His benevolence and His blessings be with you all.

My very precious children, jeweled lights of my eyes who are born with me, my children who are mingled with the love of my heart and my eyes, it is said that last month was designated as the month of our precious Prophet Muhammad (Sal.), the Chosen Messenger, the Mustafär-Rasül, and this month has been designated as the month of Qutb Muhyiddïn ‘Abdul-Qädir al-Jïlänï (Ral.).1 It has been this way since some time after ‘Umar ibnul-Khattäb (Ral.), when the ancient Arab astrologers, the nujumis, divided the year into twelve months and established the nujum calendar. This method has been passed down from generation to generation over the last 1,400 years.

It is now 1,402 years since the Prophet Muhammad, Mustafär-Rasül (Sal.) appeared. It is said by the Arab astro-logers that he passed away at the age of sixty-three, however, Allah praises Muhammad (Sal.) saying, “O Muhammad, I would not have created anything but for you.” According to this statement, the Rasül (Sal.) was brought into existence before creation began. Allah formed the Rasül (Sal.) within Himself as His Grace, His rahmat. Then, through the Rasul (Sal.), He formed and created all lives; He placed the mïm with the sukün in their embryos. Allah created the mïm and then stood as the alif that supported the mïm.2 Allah is the only one who can support and sustain this.

Everything is contained within that sukün, the eighteen thousand universes and all the creations that appear within those universes. Allah alone is the alif, the straight line, which supports this sukün, this extraordinary treasure (daulat). If there is no alif, there is no sukün; if there is no sukün there is no alif. Each one is connected to the other. That is the mïm which is present in all embryos as the sperm. It is present the moment the embryo takes form. This is Muhammad (Sal.), the sukün connected to the alif. It is clearly evident that Allähu ta’älä Näyan, the Lord, God Almighty, brought creations into existence through the mïm and sukün; we can actually see the sperm or mïm, join with the sukün at the time of conception. Medical science has even conducted experiments in this matter with the use of microscopes and has discovered that the sperm is shaped like a mïm.

Allähu ta’älä caused His power (qudrat), the light known as Muhammad (Sal.), to appear in this manner. He created everything out of His power and the mïm. This light known as Muhammad (Sal.) is the treasure that is connected to both the beginning of creation and the hereafter (al-awwal and al-äkhirah). Allähu ta’älä had this light known as the grace (rahmat) as a most precious treasure that did not belong to anyone. Then He asked all the mountains, the oceans, the lands, and the trees, “Who can accept this most precious light? Can you take this on?”

The power of this treasure caused the mountains, the earth, the oceans, and the trees to tremble. They cried, “O Allah, when You merely mention its name, all of us tremble! We cannot bear the weight of this treasure. We cannot bear it. It is impossible. We cannot accept this treasure. We tremble even at the mention of its name, and we are incapable of bearing it.”

Later Allah summoned the angels, the resplendent beings, the qutbs, and the heavenly beings. “This is My treasure, a most precious treasure. Look at this and tell Me who will accept this light, this treasure of grace (rahmat)?”

Even though they were resplendent beings, when they looked upon this treasure, their own brilliance was swallowed and hidden by its light. Their brilliance was obscured and they spoke to Allah, saying, “O Allah, this light has swallowed all the light that came from us. We cannot sustain this light which is the light of Your power (qudrat). We cannot accept it.”

Then, the Earth spoke up, “Yä Alläh, I will accept it.”

“O Earth,” Allah replied, “This is My treasure of perfect purity. It grew within Me, and it is very precious. If I give it to you, it will be a valuable treasure to everyone. It will benefit everyone and bestow grace upon them. O Earth, it will give you whatever you need. You can derive great benefit from it, but you have to return this treasure to Me. You have to place this most precious treasure in My hand.”

This treasure is known as Muhammad (Sal.). It was made resplendent and complete and was then impressed upon the forehead of Adam (A.S.). This is the light that has been impressed on our foreheads, and it is connected to the time of creation, this world, and the hereafter (al-awwal, ad-dunyä’, and al-äkhirah). This treasure is not the son of Aminah and ‘Abdullah, the son who was born in Mecca and buried in Medina. According to its secret meaning, when it dies, all of everything will die, because all lives contain the mïm. The sukün and its support are present in all lives.

The light of Allah and Muhammad (Sal.) is present in all lives; if this treasure did not exist, all of everything would die. However, for those who think it is dead, it is dead. For those who think it is not dead, it is not dead. It depends upon the inner heart of each person. It is alive to those who say it is alive; it is dead to those who say it is dead; it is a sheikh to those who say it is a sheikh; it is a guru to those who say it is a guru; it is a messenger (rasül) to those who say it is a rasül; it is the Nür (resplendent light) to those who say it is the Nür; it is Muhammad (Sal.) to those who say it is Muhammad (Sal.), and it is the light of the heart, or Ahmad, to those who say it is the heart. It is An’am Muhammad (the Muhammad that supplies nourishment) to those who consider it to be An’am Muhammad. It is the Hayät Muhammad (the Muhammad that gives life) to those who consider him to be Hayät Muhammad. It is Awwal Muhammad (the Muhammad who is responsible for creation) to those who consider it to be that. And to those who think of it as Athi Muhammad (the Manifested), or Anäthi Muhammad (the Unmanifested), it is that.3

This treasure will benefit each person according to what they consider it to be. It will be Nür Muhammad (the Plenitude, the Light that emerged from Allah) to those who consider it to be Nür Muhammad. It will be seen as the sukün supported by Allah to those who consider it to be Alläh Muhammad.

There are reasons why we must understand these inner meanings. It is not sufficient for us to simply know the words of the Qur’an; we cannot benefit sufficiently from merely reciting the Qur’an. There is a specific intention with which the Qur’an should be recited, a certain manner in which it should be read and understood. This is why the Rasül (Sal.) told his followers, “Go even unto China to learn true knowledge, to learn ‘ilm.” He told them this despite the fact that they already had the Qur’an, because the only way to understand the wealth of the Qur’an is through the slaves of Allah who know its explanations. Only if the Qur’an is understood in this manner can we understand the Rasül (Sal.). And if the Rasül (Sal.) is understood, we can understand Allah. If we understand Allah and the Rasül (Sal.), then we can understand the one who exists within as the sukün and the mïm. And only then we can understand our own self.

The treasure that existed as the Final Prophet, (Sal.) the son of Aminah and ‘Abdullah, as the First Prophet, in the beginning of creation (awwal), as the Rasül or Prophet in the hereafter (äkhirah), and as the Rasül in the period before creation (anäthi) – this treasure was revealed as Muhammad (Sal.).

It was this Muhammad (Sal.) that was initially concealed as a mystery within Allah, for a specific reason. Finally, Allah issued forth this mysterious thing from within Him, as a light that then entered and filled Aminah’s womb. This form did not come from semen, neither did it contain earth, fire, water, air, or ether. It was created from light.

When this Muhammad (Sal.) was given birth to by Aminah, there was no sign of blood, placenta, or any of the normal signs of birth. It was not like the usual birth of a child. Aminah, was alone, with no one to assist in the delivery. When the child dawned from within the womb, when this light emerged, the heavenly beings and houris came in the form of white doves and stroked the stomach of Aminah. She lost consciousness and knew nothing of what happened.

Then the sound of Allah came, “When Muhammad emerges, hold him so that he does not touch the earth.” According to that command, the form (sürat) of Muhammad (Sal.) emerged robed in white silk. This light emerged dressed in a long white silk robe saying, “Allähu Akbar! Allah is the Great One! Lä iläha ill-Alläh! There is nothing other than God; only God is! You are the Great One. You are the One who exists forever.” It worshipped in this manner.

The houris supported him and the angels surrounded him and all the while Aminah was unconscious, unaware of anything. Then the sound of Allah came again, “Bring My Muhammad to heaven.” He instructed the heavenly beings to lock up the seven hells and decorate the eight heavens. He told them to take Muhammad (Sal.) around the eight heavens, bathe him in the water of heaven, and adorn him in pure silk. All the celestial beings, houris, angels, archangels, and resplendent beings came, kissed him on the forehead, and bowed down to him. In this state, Muhammad (Sal.) was taken around the eight heavens so that he could survey them. The umbrella of Allah’s grace (rahmat) was given to him, and then he was returned to Aminah once again. Aminah opened her eyes as the child was placed in her arms and exclaimed, “My son.” It was then that the name Muhammad (Sal.) was given to him.

The one who emerged in this way is Muhammad (Sal.). No one has seen his body, his form, his excreta, or his shadow. Did he have any semen? No, he did not. He had no shadow, his feet never touched the ground, and he had no feces or urine. There were no such signs. Some people will see him as a symbol, others will not be able to do so. Some will see him as Muhammad (Sal.), the son of Aminah, others will see him only as light. This is how it will be. Some people will not know him and others will be able to know him. This is the nature of that which exists as Muhammad (Sal.).

Human beings have designated and set aside a particular day for Muhammad (Sal.). However, there is no particular day for Muhammad (Sal.). Every day is his day. Nor is there a particular month for Muhammad (Sal.). Every month is his month. There is no particular week for Muhammad (Sal.). Every week is his week. Every breath is his breath. Every year is his year. As explained in the Qur’an, when the sukün and the alif join together, that is Muhammad (Sal.). When that ceases to be, Muhammad (Sal.) will no longer be.

There may come a time when the Qur’an will not be here; that may be on the Day of Reckoning (Qiyämah), when destruction comes. Until that time, Muhammad (Sal.) will be here. If there is life in your inner heart (qalb), Muhammad (Sal.) will be the life of that life. If there is breath in your body, it will be the breath of Muhammad (Sal.). If there is sound in your body, it will have originated from the sound of Muhammad (Sal.). If this does not occur, then you will be dead according to your limit.

Muhammad (Sal.) came and showed us perfectly pure wisdom, perfectly pure light, and perfectly pure ways of being. It is for this reason that we pay our respects to him. This is our way of demonstrating our respect. We do not place a statue or idol of Muhammad (Sal.) before us and worship it. Ignorant people say that we are comparing Muhammad (Sal.) to Allah, that we are equating him to God. They say that we are worshipping a tomb and so on.

In government buildings, we see statues of famous people who had been leaders of the country or who had helped the country in some way. Statues of these people are erected and every year they are decorated and a cele-bration is held in their honor. In their own country they make these people important, even though they may be sinners or may have destroyed other countries. Even though one group curses such a person, another group wor-ships him saying, “He is a great man. He helped our country.” Like this, many statues have been erected by man.

A child honors his dead father whom he loved by reciting verses and prayers in remembrance of him. He pays respect to his father in this manner. Kings are often praised and honored in a similar way. When people honor other people in these ways, should we not honor one who, as Allah’s Messenger, showed us the right path, taught us to have good conduct, strengthened our faith (ïmän), taught us the peace and equanimity of perfect purity, told us to trust all lives as our own life, and protected all lives as his own? Should we not pay our respects to such a great being, such a Prophet, such a Messenger of Allah who showed us the good path? Is it forbidden (haräm) for us to honor him?

Does this mean that we are comparing him to Allah or placing him as an equal to Allah? When statues of men are being constructed and honored, is it wrong to honor the one who brought us the wealth (daulat) that set us on the right path, the one who helped us in so many ways? Are we making a comparison when we pay our respects to the one who has helped us and when we give praise to the One who created such a helper? When we praise the One who gave us this treasure and pay respect to this treasure for having helped us, are we saying that they are equal? Are we making something equal to Allah? Should we not do what we are doing? Is it wrong to do so? We must reflect on this.

Some people who do not think deeply about these issues say that honoring Muhammad (Sal.) is making him equal to God and to the truth. There is one group of people who deny the existence of God, another group that will not speak about God, another group that does not understand the truth, and yet another that continually creates new groups. Only such groups, who want to perpetuate their own glory, say such things.

On this day (ascribed to the birth of Muhammad (Sal.)), we should praise the immeasurable one of grace, the incomparable one of love, the divine Messenger known as Muhammad Mustafar-Rasül (Sal.) who brought the true faith (dïn) and the Qur’an. We should praise this exalted treasure that has the beauty and bliss which will calm human beings and make them peaceful.

What is this month that has been set aside for Muhammad (Sal.)? It is a month in which we honor Muhammad (Sal.) and give praise to Allah. We thank Muhammad (Sal.) and praise Allah. This is why we ob-serve the maulid, like we did today. This is not wrong. We are not making a comparison, even though some people may claim that this is what is we are doing. But you, children who are true believers (mu’min), if you have absolute faith (ïmän), then it is your right and privilege to honor resplendent beings, the qutbs, the friends of God (auliyä’) and the prophets who came to help us and show us the right path. And it is your right and privilege to give praise to Allah, the One who sent them. It is our duty to do this. This is what we have to do. We should think about this.

Many changes are taking place in the world today. Because of false proclamations, situations are developing in which people are ready to destroy the favorites of God and the prophets. These people want to destroy the name of the Rasül (Sal.), the name of Allah, the names of truth, and the names of those who have trust and faith. They have decided to convert men into satan. They want to convert those with true faith (ïmän), change them into something else, take them off the straight path, and lead them astray.

However, children, you who are true believers (mu’min) must try to behave as true believers. Look at how we take care of the teeth that God has given us. When there is a problem, we either extract them, treat them, or safeguard them in some way, do we not? In the same way, should we not protect the treasure that exists as the Rasül (Sal.), as the faith (ïmän), wisdom, light, and strength within us? We should safeguard this treasure that is so helpful to us, should we not? We should honor it, should we not? We must think about this.

We should understand that the treasure that was with Allah in the beginningless beginning, in the time of creation, and in the hereafter (anäthi, al-awwal, and al-äkhirah). We should understand that this treasure alone is Muhammad (Sal.), and it dwells within Allah at all times. It lives in our soul and wisdom. In the place of truth, this treasure and God reside together.

My children, there is another treasure that existed as the Qutb (Ral.)4 as God’s mystery in the time of creation,(al-awwal). Finally, fifty-one generations after Muhammad (Sal.), after fifty-one signs, the Qutb (Ral.) was sent as the son of Fatimah (Ral.). He was sent as a form, as a symbol. The name given to this Qutb was Muhyiddïn ‘Abdul-Qädir (Ral.). The mysterious Qutb (Ral.) was given a name, made into the form of man (insän) and shown as a symbol or representation to mankind, just as Muhammad (Sal.) was sent down in form as a symbol.

When the Qutb (Ral.) was born to Fatimah (Ral.), he, too, was clothed in white silk and the cleanest linen. In the womb, he displayed several miracles and signs. While still in the womb, he settled several conflicts that even kings could not deal with. This treasure spoke when he was only a four-month-old fetus; he settled legal disputes and even had a thief imprisoned. After he emerged from the womb, he continued to speak about justice and right conduct. This is the Qutbiyyat 5 that came bearing the name of Qutb. He came as a representation, a light known as Muhyiddïn ‘Abdul-Qädir al-Jilänï (Ral.). Just as Allah sent His Messenger (Sal.), the Rasul, as a symbol, He also sent His Qutbiyyat in a form.

This form, like Muhammad (Sal.), also emerged from the womb without any signs of blood. That light was Qutb Muhyiddïn ‘Abdul-Qädir al-Jïlänï (Ral.), and this is the month designated for him. He performed several miracles and displayed great wisdom. He emerged from the womb during the month of Ramadän and fasted in his very first month of life, refusing to nurse. In doing so, he showed others the way to perform this obligatory duty. The purpose of fasting is to understand hunger, disease, and old age and to realize the hunger of other lives. The Qutb (Ral.) gave us the means to do this. The Qutbiyyat came as a resplendent light and showed us the five duties (furüd) – faith, prayer, charity, fasting, and pilgrimage. Countless miracles were performed; wonder after wonder was seen.

This light started to speak on the very day it was born. One day when he was two months old, he was crawling around outside, and he saw the sun rising. “Can you catch it for me?” he asked his nurse. She said she could not, so he flew upward into the sky. The sun contracted all its rays and its heat, drawing them within itself. It encircled the baby, held him, and then brought him back to the cradle.

Meanwhile, the nurse had told his mother what had happened, and the mother was running around crying because she could not find her child. “O God,” she pleaded, “I did not have a child for sixty years and now You have given me this child. I asked You for a child and You gave me one. Now I have lost it.” As she was running about in great distress, the baby lay in the cradle, smiling.

The Qutbiyyat (Ral.) was in such a state that the sun and the moon would come, bow down, and worship him. They would contract their rays and speak to him. Such was the state of the Qutbiyyat (Ral.) when he was only two months old.

It is said in the oral traditions (ahädïth) that if the foot of the Qutb (Ral.) does not touch a person, he will not attain wisdom or grace-awakened wisdom (gnänam).” Wise people have spoken about this in their songs. They say, “If the foot of the Qutb (Ral.) does not touch a person in the beginning of creations (al-awwal), he will not attain eternal happiness and grace-awakened wisdom.” The Qutb (Ral.) is known as the sheikh to wisdom, grace-awakened wisdom, and truth. The foot of the Qutbiyyat (Ral.) must either touch a person in the beginning of creation or a person must take the light of absolute faith (ïmän) and with it touch the feet of the Qutbiyyat (Ral.) in this world. Only when this is done can one attain wisdom, true knowledge (‘ilm), grace-awakened wisdom, and divine qualities. This is one explanation.

There is a day designated by the world to honor such a Qutbiyyat (Ral.). However, the Qutbiyyat (Ral.) is present every day in everyone. According to the manner and location in which each person has placed the Qutbiyyat within himself, that treasure will dawn there and reveal its strength and benefits. For those who have not done that, this month will at least make them aware of the Qutbiyyat; this month will at least signify to them that they have a Qutbiyyat within them, which is the strength of their wisdom and the guide to their determined faith (ïmän).

Therefore, if we hold a maulid, or a feast, to honor the Qutb (Ral.), are we setting up a comparison? Because the Qutb (Ral.) is a sheikh to wisdom and a guide to our life, our wisdom, and our body, we honor him and give praise to the One who brought him down to us. This is what the maulid is about. We praise God directly, and we also praise Him by honoring the great ones, the prophets, and the wise ones that He sent down to us as guides. We give praise to God and we honor the ones who are our examples and guides. Is this wrong? No, it is not. We do this in a state of true faith.

People in the world say different things; they deceive one another in many ways and do many things that are wrong. They say, “Do not worship Allah, the Rasül (Sal.), the Qutb (Ral.), and the friends of God (auliyä’). Tear them down, kill them, and throw them out!” In the present time, certain groups are burning books written in the past, Qur’ans from the olden days, the ancient traditions (ahädïth), and the writings of other great men. They burn them, saying, “These are all incorrect. If you know of any such books or people, throw them out!” There are large groups of people with such ideas.

However, children, you who have wisdom and absolute faith (ïmän) should praise Allah with absolute faith and honor the great ones. Even Allah’s Rasül (Sal.) did this. He paid respect to those who had wisdom, to those who were older than him, to those who had attained divine knowledge (‘ilm), and wisdom, and to those who knew the oral traditions (ahädïth).

We should remember this in the present state of the world. We need wisdom to be able to pay our respects, to attain the strength of wisdom, and to realize Allah. We need wisdom to strengthen our faith (ïmän). It is only through the wisdom of the Qutb (Ral.) that we can understand good and bad, right and wrong. As long as we do not have that wisdom, as long as we cannot distinguish good and bad, we are like animals. A dog cannot distinguish between truth and trash, between good food and bad food. It does not have analytic wisdom, and therefore, it will eat filth, as well as plain rice and specially prepared rice dishes. That is its way. It does not distinguish between good and bad, permissible and impermissible, good actions and bad actions, good food and bad food.

Only if we understand the power of wisdom and the divine qualities can we understand what is good and bad in our lives. Then we can know right and wrong, permissible and impermissible, truth and falsehood, heaven and hell. It is to understand these things that we study wisdom, follow those who have wisdom, honor such people, and give praise to Allah. This is why we do these things.

Therefore, my children, we do these things for a purpose. Let us try to do this while we still have life. Each child must think about this, strengthen your faith (ïmän), understand these reasons, and search for the wisdom to understand what is right and what is wrong.

At the appropriate times, we should honor the wise ones who have come – the Qutbiyyat (Ral.), the Rasülulläh (Sal.), and the prophets. Until the time when we commune directly with them and unite as one, we should at least honor them in this way and give praise to Allah. When we finally reside together in the same place, this will not be necessary. Why is this so? Because, at that time, we will be face to face with one another and nothing else is necessary. But, until then, we must pay our respects to the wise ones and give praise to Allah. Establish this in your inner hearts and have certitude. Strengthen your hearts with certitude, despite what others may say. Do not go astray. Let us go to wise people, learn wisdom, and strive to understand what is good and what is bad.

Amïn, may this intention be fulfilled. May Allah help us.

(Muhammad Raheem Bawa Muhaiyaddeen (Ral.))

• 11 months later...
  • Moderators
33 minutes ago, ManofIslam said:

My Respected Brothers and Sisters in Islam!

Please note this Thread!!

We definitely shouldn't be celebrating our Prophet Muhammad (SAW)'s Birthday! Shaykh Muhammad Said Raslan from Egypt, also confirms this!

Wa Aleikum Salaam Brother,

He is salafi and salafis do not celebrate Prophet Muhammad (saws) birthday, Non-Salafis do.

Edited by Dhulfikar
  • Advanced Member

hi if salafis want to truly avoid any inovation they already must live in tents inside sahara with primitive instruments they use every new thing such as social media , Internet & all new instrument but non of them were exist during Time of Prophet (pbu).:hahaha:

• Advanced Member

If Allah swt is praising the holy prophet pbuh everywhere in holy Quran, we can do it anytime any day

HIS EXALTED STATUS

1. He is Nur (Sacred Light) (5:15) 
2. Allah blesses him (33:56) 
3. Mercy for all the worlds (21:107) 
4. His name is Muhammad (Meaning the Most Praised One) (47:2) 
5. Allah has exalted his Zikr (remembrance) (94:4) 
6. His exaltation on the Night of Mi'raj (53:8-9) 
7. His Station of Praise (Al-Maqam al-Mahmud) (17:79)

THE BELOVED OF Allah

1. If you want to gain the love of Allah, follow him (3:31) 
2. Allah addresses him with love and affection (20:1) (36:1) (73:1) (74:1) 
3. Allah says: Realise that My Prophetic Messenger himself is with you (49:7) 
4. Allah describes him with His Own Attributes of Rauf (Most Kind) and Rahim (Merciful) (9:128) 
5. Allah Himself praises him (33:45-47) 
6. Possessor of Allah's Grace (4:113) 
7. He is a special favour of Allah Sub'hanahu wa Ta'ala (3:164) 
8. Allah does not punish people if he is in their midst (8:33) 
9. Allegiance to him is allegiance to Allah (48:10)

• Veteran Member
On 3/2/2010 at 6:08 AM, muhammedsuhail said:

14 hours ago, ManofIslam said:

My Respected Brothers and Sisters in Islam!

Please note this Thread!!

We definitely shouldn't be celebrating our Prophet Muhammad (SAW)'s Birthday! Shaykh Muhammad Said Raslan from Egypt, also confirms this!

Salafis have double standards. On the one hand, there say there is good bidah and bad bidah. Based on that theory, we can categorize celebrating Mawlid as good bidah and resolve the matter. It seems like that accept bidah from Sahaba as good bidah (tawareeh) but reject anything related to the Prophet and His AhlulBayt.

Shias are more practical in our approach. Our simple philosophy is that everything allowed in Islam unless it is expressly forbidden. So unless there is a clear hadith from the Prophet which states, "Do Not celebrate my birth", it is completely permissible to do so.

• Veteran Member
On 3/2/2010 at 7:08 AM, muhammedsuhail said:

So Salafis/Wahabis can create a 40-episode serial  for $200m+ celebrating the life of Caliph Umar but then turn around and forbid the celebration of Prophet Muhammad. Makes perfect sense doesn't it.

• Advanced Member

Respected Brothers and Sisters,

But I think the main problem with celebrating our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW)'s Birthday, is that celebrating Birthdays in Islam is considered to be Haaram, mainly because celebrating Birthdays is considered to be a Pagan tradition?!

• Advanced Member
  • Veteran Member
20 hours ago, ManofIslam said:

But I think the main problem with celebrating our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW)'s Birthday, is that celebrating Birthdays in Islam is considered to be Haaram, mainly because celebrating Birthdays is considered to be a Pagan tradition?!

Salaam brother,

Can you prove this? I need a clear ayah stating celebrating birthdays is haram...or a hadith stating so. Otherwise it is just qiyas.

• Advanced Member
40 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

Salaam brother,

Can you prove this? I need a clear ayah stating celebrating birthdays is haram...or a hadith stating so. Otherwise it is just qiyas.

No, I'm sorry, bro: I got this information from a lecture on YouTube, from the South African scholar; Mufti Menk.

• Veteran Member
4 hours ago, ManofIslam said:

No, I'm sorry, bro: I got this information from a lecture on YouTube, from the South African scholar; Mufti Menk.

Brother - it is okay to use our common sense as well. We do so many things that were done by pagans but so what?

Celebrating the birthday of the Prophet does not make the Prophet God. It is simply a way for showing our love for him. It is the absolute least we can do.

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, shiaman14 said:

Brother - it is okay to use our common sense as well. We do so many things that were done by pagans but so what?

Celebrating the birthday of the Prophet does not make the Prophet God. It is simply a way for showing our love for him. It is the absolute least we can do.

Yes: that's a very good point, Bro!

• Advanced Member

@ManofIslam Quran says to follow Allah swt and prophet pbuh so let's see what happened at the birth of holy prophet pbuh I mean what did Allah swt do

Aminah (peace be upon her), the mother of the prophet (Sallallaho Alaihi Wa’sallam)(ﷺ), told that at the time of his birth she heard many voices having no human resemblance, and saw displayed a banner of the silk of paradise, mounted on a staff of ruby and filling all the space between heaven and earth. 
Light beamed from the head of the child, illuminating the heavens.
It is related on the authority of Ja`far As-Sadiq (peace be upon him) that Iblees/Satan was at first allowed to go up even to the seventh heaven and listen to the reports of those blessed abodes, but when Prophet Essa/Jesus (Alaihi Salaam) was born, Iblees/Satan was inhibited to the three heavens, and on the birth of Muhammad (Sallallaho Alaihi Wa’sallam) the demons were debarred from them all, and driven by arrows of meteoric fire from the gates of those celestial regions.
At the birth of the prophet every idol fell on its face; and the palaces of Kesry, emperor of Persia, trembled, and fourteen of the towers fell; Lake Sivah that was worshipped disappeared; its site is the salt plain near Kasham.
The Valley of Samavah, where for a number of years no water had been seen, now flowed with that element; The sacred fire of Fars, which had not been extinguished for a thousand years, were quenched that night, on which likewise, the wisest of the Magian clerics dreamed that a number of strong camels led the horses of Arabia across the Tigris into their territory.
On that night a light appeared in Hijaz (A district of Arabia, including Makkah) filling the whole world and moving eastward; on the morning following, the thrones of all the kings were found reversed; the skill of the soothsayers (fortune-teller) departed, the magic of the sorcerers ended.  At holy Prophet Mohammed’s (Sallallaho Alaihi Wa’sallam) birth, Iblees/Satan shrieked among his infernal children who drew to inquire what new curse had befallen him.
Woe to you! he cried, throughout this night I have observed momentous changes in the heavens and the earth. Some great event must have transpired on earth unparallel since the ascension of Prophet Essa/Jesus (Alaihi Salaam) to heaven; fly to discover what it is.
The subordinate fiends (beasts) flew in all directions, on their infernal errand (task), but returned without making any discovery to satisfy the doubts of Iblees/Satan, who then undertook the matter himself, glided down to the earth, and sought far and wide around, till at last, coming to Makkah, he found the sacred place encircled by a host of angels, who repelled him with a shout. He then assumed the form of a sparrow and entered the city, but angel Gabriel (peace be upon him) detected him in this disguise, and sternly said, Begone, accursed! He replied allow me only to ask what has occurred on earth the past night.
Angel Gabriel (peace be upon him) answered: Mohammed (Sallallaho Alaihi Wa’sallam) (ﷺ), the best of the Prophets is born. Have I any portion in him? inquired the accursed.
No, said Angel Gabriel (peace be upon him). But have I no portion in his sect? added the evil spirit. Yes, replied the archangel, upon which Iblees/Satan professed himself satisfied, and departed.
It is related from Ali (peace be upon him), the commander of the faithful, that the idols which were in the Kaaba fell on their faces when the prophet was born, and a voice proclaimed from heaven: Truth is revealed and error is annihilated. The whole world was illuminating on that night, and every stone and clod and tree laughed for joy, and all things in heaven and earth uttered praise to Allah.
Iblees/Satan fled, crying: The best and the dearest of creatures is Mohammed (Sallallaho Alaihi Wa’sallam) (ﷺ). Iblees/Satan, after learning what had transpired, assembled his offspring and cast dust on his head, crying: Since my creation no calamity like this has befallen me; a son is born whom they call Mohammed bin Abdullah (Sallallaho Alaihi Wa’sallam) ; He will destroy idolatry, and require men to worship Allah in unity of His being. Hereupon the whole evil crew cast the dust of degradation on their heads, and fled to the fourth sea, where they wept forty days.

• Advanced Member

Now how holy prophet pbuh celebrated Mola Ali as birth

Holy prophet pbuh was happy on the birth of Hazrat alias.Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) recited the Adhan and Eqamah in the ears of the baby.
Imam Ali bin Abi Taleb (as) accepted no other food than the moisture of Holy Prophet Muhammad's (saw) tongue, which he sucked for several days after his birth. Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) fondled him in his lap in his infancy, and chewed his food and fed Imam Ali bin Abi Taleb (as) on it. Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) often made Imam Ali bin Abi Taleb (as) sleep by his side, and Imam Ali (as) enjoyed the warmth of Holy Prophet Muhammad's (saw) body and inhaled the holy fragrance of his breath.Holy prophet saw gave him the name Ali

• Veteran Member

These topics of Salafi (literalists) nature will not be brought up as frequently as it used to be in the past. Salafi project is being killed. A Buddhist, neo Christian like (new age spiritualism) Islam is being brewed.

Maybe in the coming 20 years we will see those Salafi groups in Southeast Asia and across Arab world, probably the SAlafi funded mosques in Europe, all celebrate the prophet's birth in a way similar to X-mas. 

The need for these inflammatory topics is gone. 

• Advanced Member
On Wednesday, December 06, 2017 at 2:18 AM, ManofIslam said:

Mr.

Just grow up why should be celebrating the birth day of Prophet saww be Haram. Is there any clearcut evidence in favour of what you say. 

On 12/5/2017 at 8:15 AM, Dhulfikar said:

Wa Aleikum Salaam Brother,

He is salafi and salafis do not celebrate Prophet Muhammad (saws) birthday, Non-Salafis do.

I don't know but in my knowledge, Majority of Non-Salafis don't Celebrate Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him)'s Birthday.

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Shah Khan said:

I don't know but in my knowledge, Majority of Non-Salafis don't Celebrate Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him)'s Birthday.

That is sad really. There are Fasting, Ziarat and Du'as and different 'Amaal done in that blessed day that Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى have chosen.

2 minutes ago, Dhulfikar said:

That is sad really. There are Fasting, Ziarat and Du'as and different 'Amaal done in that blessed day that Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى have chosen.

Hmmm.... Your words are making to research on it :D ... Wasn't Mawlid Started in 600 Hirjah???

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Shah Khan said:

Hmmm.... Your words are making to research on it :D ... Wasn't Mawlid Started in 600 Hirjah???

I was reading this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mawlid

Observed by Adherents of mainstream Sunni Islam, Shia Islam and various other Islamic denominations except a few such as Wahhabism/Salafism etc.

Mawlid is celebrated in almost all Islamic countries, and in other countries that have a significant Muslim population, such as India, the United Kingdom, Nigeria, Nepal, Sri Lanka, France, Germany, Italy, Russia[71] and Canada.[72][73][74][75][76][77][78][79][80] The only exceptions are Qatar and Saudi Arabia where it is not an official public holiday and is forbidden.[81][82][83] 

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, Shah Khan said:

I don't know what country your talking about but so many Pakistani Sunnis have always celebrated the birthday of Prophet Muhammad. It is only when Wahabbism spread to Pakistan that some started opposing it.

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans
2 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I don't know what country your talking about but so many Pakistani Sunnis have always celebrated the birthday of Prophet Muhammad. It is only when Wahabbism spread to Pakistan that some started opposing it.

No No I mean majority of Sunnis, whether they may be Salafi, Wahabi, Deobandi, Barelvi, etc, don't give Mawlid much Importance. In Pakistan (where I live), yes there was Official Holiday by the Government on 12th Rabi-ul-Awwal but people didn't give much importance to it. The day is being by Sunnis like a Normal Holiday. I only see Shias and minority Shrine Going Sunnis celebrating Mawlid. In Afghanistan people don't even know what Mawlid is. In Iraq, for Sunnis it's not a Big Holiday. Sunnis even get Married in the Month of Muharram, So why would they Celebrate Mawlid??

• Advanced Member
On ‎2‎-‎3‎-‎2010 at 1:08 PM, muhammedsuhail said:

It is bidah just like praying twenty rakah a night (in the mosque) during ramadan is a bidah. Salafi's consider the sunnah of the caliphs equal to the Sunnah pf Muhammad s.a.w.a.s.

Edited by Faruk
  • Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Shah Khan said:

No No I mean majority of Sunnis, whether they may be Salafi, Wahabi, Deobandi, Barelvi, etc, don't give Mawlid much Importance. In Pakistan (where I live), yes there was Official Holiday by the Government on 12th Rabi-ul-Awwal but people didn't give much importance to it. The day is being by Sunnis like a Normal Holiday. I only see Shias and minority Shrine Going Sunnis celebrating Mawlid. In Afghanistan people don't even know what Mawlid is. In Iraq, for Sunnis it's not a Big Holiday. Sunnis even get Married in the Month of Muharram, So why would they Celebrate Mawlid??

The sunni's who I know and celebrate Mawlid are no shrine-goers. There are many sunni's who celebrate it but they are obscured by salafi and scripturalist propaganda.

In the Netherlands where I live at least one sunni mosque in every middle-big city was celebrating it. Let alone in Pakistan. Barelvi do celebrate it without a doubt.

Edited by Faruk