Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
IraqLives1

Abdullah Ibn Masud

Rate this topic

(salam),

AFAIK, he was a pious companion of the Prophet (pbuh), and is seen in high light, in both Sunni and Shi'ite books. His virtues, include that he was the first to recite the Quran at the Ka'aba after the Prophet (pbuh) and was one of the earliest huffaz. I have also read that he was beaten by the orders of Caliph Usman for not surrendering his copy of the Quran, when he demanded it to be given for burning. The beating was so severe that he lost his teeth, and succumbed to the wounds three days later.

Imam Ali (as) referred to him as a 'friend of the Prophet (pbuh)'.

From what I remember he was one of the 12 companions of the Prophet (pbuh) who accepted the Wilayah of Imam Ali (as). Can somebody confirm this? :unsure:

I have an article about him, but it's in Farsi... it would be great if someone can summarise it for us. ^_^

http://travel-islands.info/browse.php?u=Oi8vd3d3Lmhhd3phaC5uZXQvSGF3emFoL01hZ2F6aW5lcy9NYWdBcnQuYXNweD9pZD01MDU5NQ%3D%3D&b=13

wa (salam)

he is not included in one of those who supported ali at the time of saqifa , not even in pro-shia sources.However there is not doubt about his merits.he narrates many pro-ali hadith in sunni books.His following was in kufa and included many future disciples of ali.his split with uthman and subsquent beating and death is wellknown

I'm also quite currious about ibn Mas'ud, there are a number of narrations about him in al-Khisal

7-51 Muhammad ibn Umar al-Baghdady al-Hafiz narrated that Ahmad ibn Abdul-Karim Abu Abdullah quoted I’tab - that is ibn Saheeb, on the authority of Isa ibn Abdullah al-Umari, on the authority of his father, on the authority of his father, on the authority of his grandfather, on the authority of Ali (MGB), “The Earth is created for seven persons. God grants your daily bread, rain falls upon you, and you become triumphant over your enemies due to them. They are Abuzar, Salman, Miqdad, Ammar Yaser, Hazifeh, Abdullah ibn Masood and I am their leader. They were the ones who were present for praying over the corpse of Fatimah (MGB).”

The compiler of the book - may God be pleased with him - said, “Saying the Earth has been created for seven persons is not meant from the first day of creation until the last day of creation. Rather its intention is that those who said prayer over Fatimah’s corpse will benefit from the Earth.”

If the above narration is authentic, then it would seem he had a high status near Imam Ali (a).

He also narrates the 12 Imam hadith a number of times:

12-6 Abu Ali Ahmad ibn al-Hassan ibn Ali Abd’e Rab’beh al-Qat’tan narrated that in the Arabic month of Rabial-Awwal in the year 320 A.H. (932 A.D.) Abu Yazid Muhammad ibn Yahya ibn Khalid ibn Yazid al-Marvazy at Ray quoted Ishaq ibn Ibrahim al-Hanzali who was known as Ishaq ibn Rahoyeh in the year 238 A.H. (852 A.D.), on the authority of Yahya ibn Yahya, on the authority of Hasheem, on the authority of Mujalid, on the authority of Al-Sha’abi, on the authority of Al-Masruq, “A young fellow came when we were comparing and correcting our versions of the script of the Quran with Abdullah ibn Masud and asked him, ‘Hasn’t your Prophet given you news about the number of the Caliphs to come after him?’ Abdullah answered, ‘You are very young! No one has ever asked this question before. Yes, the Prophet has given us news that there will be twelve Divine Leaders after him just as there were twelve Israelite Chiefs after Moses (MGB).”

12-7 Abu Ali Ahmad ibn al-Hassan al-Qat’tan narrated that Abu Abdullah Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn Ibrahim ibn Abil Rajal al-Baghdadi quoted Muhammad ibn Abdus al-Harani, on the authority of Abdul Qaf’far ibn al-Hikam, on the authority of Mansoor ibn Abil Aswad, on the authority of Motrif, on the authority of Al-Sha’abi, on the authority of his uncle Qays ibn Abd, “We were sitting in a circle and Abdullah ibn Masood was sitting there with us. A Bedouin (Arab) came in and asked, ‘Are you Abdullah ibn Masood?’ Abdullah replied, ‘Yes, I am Abdullah ibn Masood.’ The man asked, ‘Has your Prophet (MGB) advised you as to how many Caliphs there will be after him?’ Abdullah ibn Masood said, ‘Yes. He (MGB) has said that there will be twelve - as many as the Chiefs of Israel.’”

12-8 The following has been narrated by Abul-Qasim At’tab ibn Muhammad al-Varaminy al-Hafiz who narrated that Yahya ibn Muhammad ibn Sa’ed quoted Ahmad ibn Abdul Rahman ibn al-Fazl and Muhammad ibn Ubaydullah ibn Savar, on the authority of Abdul Qaf’far ibn al-Hikam, on the authority of Mansoor ibn Abil Aswad, on the authority of Motrif, on the authority of Al-Sha’abi. The same has been narrated by At’tab ibn Muhammad, on the authority of Ishaq ibn Muhammad al-Anmati, on the authority of Yusuf ibn Musa, on the authority of Jarir, on the authority of Ash’as ibn Savar, on the authority of Al-Sha’abi. The same has been narrated by At’tab ibn Muhammad and al-Hussein ibn Muhammad al-Harani on the authority of Ayoob ibn Muhammad al-Vazan, on the authority of Sa’id ibn Moslemat, on the authority of Ash’as ibn Savar, on the authority of Al-Sha’abi. All of the above narrated on the authority of Al-Sha’abi’s uncle - Qays ibn Abd. Abul Qasim At’tab narrated that Motrif said, “We were sitting in the mosque and Abdullah ibn Masood was sitting there with us. A Bedouin (Arab) came in and asked, ‘Is Abdullah ibn Masood with you?’ Abdullah replied, ‘Yes, I am Abdullah ibn Masood. What do you want?’ The man asked, ‘O Abdullah! Has your Prophet (MGB) advised you as to how many Caliphs there will be after him?’ Abdullah ibn Masood said, ‘Yes. You have asked me a question which no one has ever asked me since I came to Iraq. The Prophet (MGB) has said that there will be twelve Divine Leaders after him - just as many as the chiefs of Israel.’” In another version we read, ‘Yes, as many as the chiefs of Israel.’”

12-9 Jarir narrated that Al-Ash’as quoted ibn Masood on the authority of the Prophet (MGB), “The Caliphs after me will be twelve - as many as the chiefs of Israel.”

12-10 At’tab ibn Muhammad al-Varaminy al-Hafiz narrated that Yahya ibn Muhammad ibn Sa’ed quoted the following tradition on the authority of Yusuf ibn Musa, on the authority of Abdul Rahman ibn Meqra, on the authority of Mujalid, on the authority of Amer, on the authority of Masruq, on the authority of Atab ibn Muhammad. The same tradition has been narrated on the authority of Muhammad ibn al-Hussein, on the authority of Hafs, on the authority of Hamzih ibn U’an, on the authority of Abi Usamah, on the authority of Mujalid, on the authority of Amer, on the authority of Masruq, “A man went to see (Abdullah) ibn Masood and asked him, ‘Has your Prophet told you how many successors he will have after him?’ He replied, ‘Yes. No one had asked me this question before. You asked it although you are the youngest of them all. The Prophet (MGB) has said, ‘There will be twelve successors after me - as many as the Israelite chiefs after Moses (MGB).’”

12-11 Ahmad ibn al-Hassan al-Qat’tan narrated that Al-Nue’man ibn Ahmad ibn Na’eem al-Vaseti quoted Ahmad ibn Senan al-Qat’tan on the authority of Abu Usamah, on the authority of Mujalid, on the authority of Amer, on the authority of Masruq, “A man went to see Abdullah ibn Masood and asked him, ‘O Aba Abdul Rahman! Has your Prophet told you how many successors he will have after him?’ He replied, “Yes. No one had asked me this question before. You asked it although you are the youngest of them all. The Prophet (MGB) has said, ‘There will be twelve successors after me - as many as the Israelite chiefs after Moses (MGB).’”

12-12 Ahmad ibn al-Hassan al-Qat’tan narrated that Al-Nue’man ibn Ahmad ibn Na’eem al-Vaseti quoted Ahmad ibn Senan al-Qat’tan on the authority of Abu Usamah, on the authority of Mujalid, on the authority of Amer, on the authority of Masruq that a man came to see Abdullah ibn Masood and asked him, ‘O Aba Abdul Rahman! Has your Prophet told you how many successors there will be after him?’ He replied, “Yes. No one had asked me this question before. You asked it although you are the youngest of them all. Yes. The Prophet (MGB) said, ‘There will be twelve successors after me - as many as the Israelite chiefs after Moses (MGB).’”

Does anyone know what the scholars, past and present say about him?

Does anyone know what the scholars, past and present say about him?

مرحوم آیت الله خوئی هم در کتاب معجم او را محبّ حضرت علی (ع) نمی داند و می گوید: تابع حضرت نبوده ولی چون در اسناد کتاب کامل الزیارات آمده می شود حکم به وثاقت او داد

] خوئی، ابوالقاسم، معجم رجال الحدیث، ج 10، ص 322، چاپ اول، سال 1398، انتشارات مدینه العلم قم -

Ayatullah Khoie (ra) in his book 'Mu'jam' also does not recognise him (ibn Mas'ud) as a lover of Imam Ali (as), he states; he was not a follower of his eminence (Imam Ali), however because his name as appeared in the chain/Isnad of the book 'Kamil al-ziyarat', we can rule him to be trustworthy.

مرحوم علامه تستری در کتاب قاموس الرجال به دلایلی که در شیعه بودن ابن مسعود ذکر شد خدشه می کند و می گوید: خبر انکار دوازده نفر به خلافت ابوبکر در منابع دیگر مثل احتجاج طبرسی ذکر شده و ابن مسعود جزء آنها شمرده نشده است و از طرفی اخباری بر مخالفت او با حضرت علی (ع) داریم

- محمد تقی، تستری، قاموس الرجال، ج 6، ص 600 – 608، چاپ جامعه مدرسین قم، محرم 1415

The late 'Allamah Tastari in the book 'Qamoos al-Rijal' (dictionary of men) has found flaw in (the view) that ibn Mas'ud was a Shi'a, he says: the incident of twelve people not accepting the caliphate of Abu Bakr has appeared in other sources like 'Ihtijaj Tabarasi', where Ibn Mas'ud has not been included amongst them, and we also have a report of him opposing Imam Ali (as).

Sayed Murtadha in his book 'Al-Shafi fi Imamati' (v.4 p.283) has spoken highly of Ibn Masud.

They say Ibn Mas'ud also did not believe that al-nas and al-falaq were surahs of the Qur'an, but rather duas for Imam Hasan and Hussain, but there is a difference of opinion if he ever actually had this view or not.

Edited by Lychee

Ibn Mas`ud had an alternative musHaf that he compiled which differed in a number of aspects from the `Uthmanic one. One of those differences apparently being his not including the ma`udhathatayn at the end, considering them to be du`as and not a part of the Quran. Interestingly, it was the Shi`a who would cite his alternative readings of the Quran (even though he was not counted as quite Shi`a himself), e.g. in Sayyari's Kitab al-Qira'at you'll find a number of references to Ibn Mas`ud's readings, and it was them who tried to preserve it, however eventually the Sunnis won out and the copies of it were burnt (in Abbasid times I believe).

Ibn Mas`ud had an alternative musHaf that he compiled which differed in a number of aspects from the `Uthmanic one. One of those differences apparently being his not including the ma`udhathatayn at the end, considering them to be du`as and not a part of the Quran. Interestingly, it was the Shi`a who would cite his alternative readings of the Quran (even though he was not counted as quite Shi`a himself), e.g. in Sayyari's Kitab al-Qira'at you'll find a number of references to Ibn Mas`ud's readings, and it was them who tried to preserve it, however eventually the Sunnis won out and the copies of it were burnt (in Abbasid times I believe).

Then again, if the mushaf of ibn Mas`ud didn't contain al-Falaq & an-Nas, we can safely ignore this mushaf either as pseudepigraph or as an corrupted mushaf. Our hadith stated clearly that the Aimmah (as) recited both al-Falaq & an-Nas in a mandatory salat (Maghrib).

Moreover, we have ahadith stating that even ibn Mas`ud must follow the qira'ah of Ubayy.

Edited by rotten_coconut