Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Shia Cleric Warning About Superstitious

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Qum (Iran), His excellence’s office announced yesterday, Monday, that Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi stated: “This is one of the superstitions of the general public. There is no religious evidence supporting the kissing of the doors of mosques or congratulating Sayyidah Zahra (a) at the end of Safar.”

He added: “We always remember Sayyidah Zahra (a) and the other infallibles (a); we always respect the mosques. But, these actions were invented by the general public and every day something new is added to them. If such actions continue, the number of innovations will overshadow the religion itself. This is very dangerous. Therefore, these actions must be prevented in a calm manner.”

At the end, Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi stated: “Unfortunately, sometimes people leave clear religious principles in order to solve their problems; they revert to superstitious practices. But, these practices do not have any effect on solving their problems.”

http://www.abna.ir/data.asp?lang=3&Id=179043

• Advanced Member

Sallamun Alaykum

far for it for me to speak against this comment however i want to give my view regarding this and if anyone can help me understand the issue better i would appreciate it.

yes there is probably no evidance of kissing the doors of mosques (except ofcourse the awlya' sites but thats another issue) but that doesnt make it forbidden in any way since in respect of Allahs greatness kissing the doors of the mosques which is a pathway to heaven is a great act furthermorre this is a cultirul practice as long as it doesnt go against islamic rulings.

Furthermore congratulating Sayeda Zaynab (as) at the end of Safar is a cultural practice as any so for u to issue a religious decree against a cultiral practice which does not go against any islamic rulings proves your cultiral bias or your need to remove cultures relationship with religion.

brothers and sisters there are many communities around the world all of them have cultures many of these cultures are religiously initiated for example in thanks to Allah (AW) me and a bunch of freinds after eating kiss our hands and put it on our forhead has Allah (AW) forbidden this? no the rule is everything is hallal until it is proven to be haram.

as for it going to far and becoming like an innovation i dont think anyone honestly thinks that kissing the mosques doors will become part of the shia faith or any other cultural practice for that matter reason being the shia faith is strong and available in books and minds of the scholars i think what needs to be done is for people to be told what is culture and what is religion rather than moving them away from a cultural practice bcz 1. u have no right to say a cultural practice is incorrect since it doesnt go against islam and u were brought up in your culture maybe your culture is that u should try to stop any practice that is not rstrictly religion but thats your view but strictly speaking u have no right to attack a cultural practice which is religisly motivated and doesnt go against islam 2. the more u push the more the people push back if u remove them from this cultural practice it will be replaced with another now if it is religios or not u will be responsible bcz u stopped something which didnt go against islam also they could become more hateful towards u which u wouldnt want since their not going against any faith.

personally i dont know Makarim Shirazi but this statement that culture could ever overshadow religion is a very strange statement to say the least apart from the fact that its probably impossible.

anyway i respect him but i want these things clarified maybe im wrong i dont know.

ws wr wb

• Advanced Member

Sallamun Alaykum

i asked Shaykh Al-Korani regarding this he said i dont know exactly what he said but regarding what u said everything if it is not haram is allowed their shouldnt be any problem with this as long as there isnt a religious source which makes it forbidden and he said further that every time scale their are certain cultures that pop up as long as they dont go against any religious script such as a brother divorcing his sister from her husband then their shouldnt be a problem.

as far as i understand he agreed with me maybe shaykh nazir makarim was talking about a specific issue but it wasnt cleared up.

ws wr wb

• Forum Administrators

Qum (Iran), His excellence’s office announced yesterday, Monday, that Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi stated: “This is one of the superstitions of the general public. There is no religious evidence supporting the kissing of the doors of mosques or congratulating Sayyidah Zahra (a) at the end of Safar.”

He added: “We always remember Sayyidah Zahra (a) and the other infallibles (a); we always respect the mosques. But, these actions were invented by the general public and every day something new is added to them. If such actions continue, the number of innovations will overshadow the religion itself. This is very dangerous. Therefore, these actions must be prevented in a calm manner.”

At the end, Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi stated: “Unfortunately, sometimes people leave clear religious principles in order to solve their problems; they revert to superstitious practices. But, these practices do not have any effect on solving their problems.”

http://www.abna.ir/data.asp?lang=3&Id=179043

(bismillah)

(salam)

The important words are at the end of Safar. Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi is not saying you cannot kiss the door of a mosque or congratulate Sayyidah Zahra (a). He is saying to do this AT THE END OF SAFAR, to be glad that the ominous month of Safar is over, is not right. This is superstitious and superstition is not allowed in Islam.

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

The important words are at the end of Safar. Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi is not saying you cannot kiss the door of a mosque or congratulate Sayyidah Zahra (a). He is saying to do this AT THE END OF SAFAR, to be glad that the ominous month of Safar is over, is not right. This is superstitious and superstition is not allowed in Islam.

Yup, that makes sense.

• Veteran Member

personally i dont know Makarim Shirazi but this statement that culture could ever overshadow religion is a very strange statement to say the least apart from the fact that its probably impossible.

Ayatullah Makarem Shirazi is a very clever man and it is very likely that he has his reasons for saying this.

To say that culture couldn't overshadow religion is false in my humble opinion. For many muslims culture is more important than religion. If you tell them that their cultural practice isn't holy, see how they react. I believe that the ayatullah may have made this statement at this time because it is easier for him to speak about this particular practice instead of other well established practices. His statement gets people thinking.

Edited by Muhammed Ali
  • Advanced Member

Sallamun Alaykum

firstly culture that is in relation with religion can never replace or overshadow religion even sayed korani agreed with me regarding this yes some people might follow their cultures in a sanctified manner but it can never replace or overshadow their religion if it is related to Islam yes there maybe 1 or 2 that may seem to do this but when u speak to them they know the diffarance it is very ignorant to suggest so and i dont think he actually meant it that way becuase he is a respected scholar.

ill give u an example to make my point clear latmya for example is a cultural practice we all know that no one has ever said it is the religion as far as i know in other words u have to do latmya to be considered a shia now latmya and how it has spread so much that many people have practiced it and promote it has it ever overshadowed the religion? never it has actually helped the hussaynia cause to a certain extent but it can never be considered a religise obligation now think logicly for 100s of years latmya has been taking place and it has never been considered a wajib act or overshadowed the religion rather enforced it to a certain extent. now logicly speaking if latmya in muharram or in sad times has not changed the religion or overshadowed it how can u expect kissing the door of the mosque to be dangerous act in danger of overshadowing the religion its laughable to say so this is why i dont beleive makarim shirazi was speaking the way it is presented.

I think hameedah hit the hammer on the nail regarding this point thinking that for the period of time somehow u will get something special without evidance is ignorance i agree but if it is made as a farewell to safar there is no problem with it in a cultural act.

i think personally the problem is wahabi thought has to a certain extent seeped into the thoughts of people and perhaps one could say sunni thought has also impacted shia individuals in that any cultural practice related to religion is seen as an innovation whereas innovation is when something is added to religion like folding your hands while praying.

bcz weahabis keep on saying bidda bidda people have somehow misunderstood the meaning of bidda.

ws wr wb

• Veteran Member

ill give u an example to make my point clear latmya for example is a cultural practice we all know that no one has ever said it is the religion as far as i know

For some people (especially from the indian subcontinent) latmiya is more important than prayers.

Brother what do you think of this:

The thirteenth day of the New Year festival is called Sizdah Bedar when families attend picnics or parties to avoid the bad luck associated with the number thirteen

On this day, Sabzeh, which has symbolically collected all the sickness and bad luck, is thrown into running water.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=48175&sectionid=3510304

an how would you respond to this argument: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyPKA-D3FXM

bilaal philips even says that the words "sadaqallahu al-adheem" after the recitation of the quran is bidah if it is done all the time.

Edited by Muhammed Ali
  • Advanced Member

For some people (especially from the indian subcontinent) latmiya is more important than prayers.

Please check ur biases at the login screen, unless u can provide evidence to backup your clam, what ur doing is a grave sin. May Allah forgive you for this.

BTW is Blal Philips an authority for you??

Edited by MOHIB E AHLAYBAIT
  • Veteran Member

Please check ur biases at the login screen, unless u can provide evidence to backup your clam, what ur doing is a grave sin. May Allah forgive you for this.

BTW is Blal Philips an authority for you??

I am from the Indian subcontinent so I am less likely to be biased against them. Its well known that some people do the matam and leave the prayer. Its not just desis but even people from other parts of the world.

Bilal Philips is a liar, may Allah give him what he deserves. However I do believe that we need to give culture a much lesser priority than we currently do. The value of culture is in its art (clothes, food, sounds etc) and not in its 'fiqh'. Philips is at least trying to justify his position. We need to do the same thing.

Edited by Muhammed Ali
  • Advanced Member

Sallamun Alaykum

brothers and sister i dont know if i stated this before but i told you that unfortanatly many shia even are being influenced by wahabi thought this brother if i am not mistaken is one of them although he doesnt relize it otherwise who is ignorant enough to use a wahabi as a source for inspiration in religious matters.

brothers and sisters the diffarance between the shia school of thought and the wahabi movement is that we say culture is allowed in all its forms as long as it does not go against Islam, Brother Muhammad i said this before and if you had read my post before you wouldnt have asked me what i think about superstition, superstition and omens are not part of Islam however any cultural act such as kissing the mosque as a practice is allowed even if you want to give it as a sign to farewell safar as long as you do not have a su[perstitiouss beleif regarding it.

brother this guy bilal philips is a comedian its funny when he says the sunnah of the prophet isnt what he did but also what he didnt do u think anyone now can i say all the things the prophet did and all the things he didnt do? as soon as he died they started burning his hadeeths so i could use this mentality on anything he didnt fly a plain to japan so we shouldnt then an argument comes up well he traveled so were traveling but by diffarant means and he traveled somewhere so where travelling somewhere ok he celebrated something and were celebrating something but for diffarant occasions and using diffarant means.

this argument brother ive seen before and is nothing new these wahabis are truly an infestation and a cancer know why? bcz they are trying to get rid of Islam by changing various issues ill give u a few examples to explain what i mean.

1. battling cultural practices reminding people of Allah (AW) or his Ahlulbayt such as:

blowing up the dome of the prophet

reading quran is prohibited in gravesites

reading quran for the dead is haram

having a day to remember any religise person is haram

azadari for imam hussain as very bad and haram

Marchs are haram

2. terrorism

killing shias or kafirs is hallal also their property and wives are halal for u to take

one must do takfeer of shia scholars or he is kafir

sunnis are kafir

if anyone has a diffarant view regarding islam he should apologise if not he should be killed

anyone visiting the prophets grave should repent and if he doesnt he should be killed

if you mention anything wrong with one sahabi you must repent or be killed

takfeer of sunnis e.g ashaira....

3. changing religious injunctions

folding hands

hallal to suck a womans $£$£%%

takfeer with killing

lying to protect ones own interest is hallal

brother i dont know if u know this but even football is haram

and many other things im just typing quickly here brother u know where the problem with the whole culture/religion issue is it is the understanding of worship we as shia beleive any action u do should be considered worship there is no ecxeption we live for Allah (AW) and we die for Allah (AW) what Allah (AW) has not forbidden us to practice is not haram everything is halal until there is evidance that it is haram so if i want to lets say cry out Ya Allah (AW) with my freinds in a march i can do it bcz Allah (AW) has not forbidden it for me do i need evidance to practice such an act? ofcourse not why? bcz any act i do in remembrance of Allah (AW) is a blessing brother these people keep on saying bidda bidda but their the ones following bidda i dont see bilal philips talking against taraweeh prayer in Jama' the prophet never did it why is he doing it? its bcz among other things he doesnt have one prophet but thousands after the prophet why doesnt he speak against folding hands it is a proven fact omar innovated this act and the prophet never folded his hand? why doesnt he speak against king Abdullah when he sends his sallams to the prophets grave while he is pointed towards it the prophet didnt do it why arent u speaking against him? the reason behind all this is becuase this is a political movement not religious one anything that reminds a person of islam is taken away and people are told they can kill shias and kafirs and probably some sunnis and they keep with certain biddas but leave others in their understanding of what worship and bidda is brother i hope u see a pattern here i dont think i can be clearer to u than this.

ws wr wb

Edited by mo87_11014