Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why Can't We Touch Dogs?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

From what I've always heard, they are haram to touch because the devil spit on them. Also, because the angels don't visit your house. Is any of this true, and if so, then why dogs? Why do the angels not come to you if have dogs but do when you have other pets?

• Basic Members

I dont think that touching a dog is haram, yes it is true that you must ensure that dog dont touch its tounge with you or your cloths. It is also true that angels does'nt come to your home if you have dog. Dogs will also not entered into Jannat except dog of Ashab-e-Kaif.

• Advanced Member

Honestly I think its nonsense....this is excatly the way of thinking that leads to torture animals and cruelty in general towards them in the arab-Islamic world. I saw many times young kids suffering dogs, using such ahadith as excuses.

disgusting.

Normal people are "stupid", just like the taliban, what we need is education.

Educate the kids so they can think for themselfs, so much hate in the world these days.

Maybe oneday everyone will understand eachother.

You cant blame islam for actions that a "uneducated person" who refers to himself as muslim dose.

• Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

This news article is disgusting, but if you think dogs are not najis and ok to touch, then you need to read this!

Dog stroking can transmit debilitating parasite

19:00 23 April 2003 by Andy Coghlan

People can become infected with a worm that causes blindness simply by stroking the coats of dogs that carry the parasite.

The finding challenges previous assumptions that the worms only spread to people who come into contact with dog faeces, and suggests that owners need to be extra vigilant in washing and worming their pets.

In the US, around 10,000 people a year, mainly children under 12, become infected with Toxocara canis, a nematode worm that grows up to 20 centimetres long in the intestines of dogs.

In Britain the risk seems to be lower: "Fewer than 20 people a year get infected out of 60 million," says Ian Wright, a vet practising in Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset, whose findings are reported in The Veterinary Record (vol 152, p 419). Also, a quarter of the population have antibodies to toxocara, having developed immunity through exposure.

In infected people the worms can grow in the back of the eye, causing lesions which can interfere with vision or be mistaken for tumours. Occasionally they cause blindness. If they migrate to other organs such as the liver or lung they can also cause a form of toxocariasis, whose symptoms include periodic bouts of lethargy, similar to glandular fever.

Sticky eggs

Research by Wright and his co-investigator, Alan Wolfe, suggests that faeces might not be the only route of infection. Of 60 dogs they examined, a quarter had eggs of the worm in their hair. Three of the 71 eggs they recovered contained mature worm embryos which can infect humans. Embryos had begun to develop in 25 per cent of the eggs. They found up to 180 eggs in a gram of dog hair, a much higher density than is found in soil.

The vets say theirs is the first study to examine the coats of dogs as a route of infection. "We looked mainly at the anal region and the backs of the legs," says Wright. The millimetre-long eggs are very sticky and could easily be picked by someone stroking the animal, he says.

The finding points to toxocara infection being a dog ownership problem, Wright says. "It has probably got very little to do with dogs fouling public places." It also shows that dog owners should regularly wash and worm their pets, especially puppies, which are often infected through the placenta if the mother has worms.

Puppies should be wormed every fortnight for the first three months, then once a month for the following three months, says Wright. After six months, dogs develop some immunity and only need worming every six months and washing every fortnight. Wright's most important advice is for people handling dogs: "Wash your hands before meals, and after a good cuddle," he says. And ensure good hygiene if infants and babies share the house with dogs.

A spokesman for the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health, which represents Britain's environmental health inspectors, says the finding should be kept in proportion, as there are so few cases of toxocariasis a year. But he echoed Wright's warnings about the importance of hygiene, both for dogs and for people who handle them.

Source: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn3651-dog-stroking-can-transmit-debilitating-parasite.html

• Basic Members

Also, because the angels don't visit your house. Is any of this true, and if so, then why dogs? Why do the angels not come to you if have dogs but do when you have other pets?

Just a fairy tale made up by uneducated men to serve their interest.

I dont think that touching a dog is haram, yes it is true that you must ensure that dog dont touch its tounge with you or your cloths. It is also true that angels does'nt come to your home if you have dog. Dogs will also not entered into Jannat except dog of Ashab-e-Kaif.

Such ignorance is blatant. Dogs have been known to save humanity lives many times. Dogs help blinds to walk, they help severely ill kids in hospitals to forget about their illness for at least a short while. Dogs have helped find people in hiati and other natural disaster. If there was such place as heaven, the only animal that really deserves to be there are dogs.

Please think before hitting the submit button.

• Advanced Member

Just a fairy tale made up by uneducated men to serve their interest.

Such ignorance is blatant. Dogs have been known to save humanity lives many times. Dogs help blinds to walk, they help severely ill kids in hospitals to forget about their illness for at least a short while. Dogs have helped find people in hiati and other natural disaster. If there was such place as heaven, the only animal that really deserves to be there are dogs.

Please think before hitting the submit button.

Dude dont let idiots represent the muslim community. I am a Shia Muslim and I am a pitbull fanatic. If I see a loose pitbull I will (and have before) ran after it because it's something inside of me that attracts me to them. Dogs are a mans best friend. It kills me inside every day why dogs are impure when even us as humans carry diseases and germs and bacteria. I strongly believe one day this whole dog being nijis thing will be remebered as the biggest man made law in Islam. If I see someone torturing a dog they will be invited to a dog fight....with them in one corner and a pitbull in another!

^Think before you talk. How did the people of the cave move from one side to another while they sleep? Was it not the angels turning them? Did they not have a dog with them? And I believe all animals will enter Janna and I don't think its up you to decide.

^Think before you talk. How did the people of the cave move from one side to another while they sleep? Was it not the angels turning them? Did they not have a dog with them? And I believe all animals will enter Janna and I don't think its up you to decide.

P.S. I was a little angry when I wrote about putting dog torturers in dog fights I was completley joking and I would never fight dogs. I would rather die then to fight dogs. The only time I would ever go to a dog fight is if I am going to rescue the dogs and beat up/shoot anyone who poses as a threat to my safety.

• Advanced Member

Its not that I dont wash my hands after playing with dogs. I also wash them every time, when I come home, because I touched the bus, the doorbells, etc. Its something normal, you know.

So there you go, goodbye najasa....

"Fewer than 20 people a year get infected out of 60 million"

Great..then do not EVER use cars, cz many people die in car accidents.

And dont ride a bike

etc...

Dogs are great creatures. They help the blind. They can be trained to dig out dying people under ruins after earthquakes. I the West they found out something,t hat i s called...uuhmmm...dunno the exact name, but its a therapy with animals: they put kids (and adults) with lets say Down disease, Alzeheimer and other stuffs with dogs, cats, even with dolphins and let them play with them...and subhan Allah, the tatawwur of these patients are incredible!

Ok, you can get disease from a dog?

Well, and humans make atomic bombs...THAT IS NAJASA. a though one.

• Advanced Member

From what I've always heard, they are haram to touch because the devil spit on them. Also, because the angels don't visit your house. Is any of this true, and if so, then why dogs? Why do the angels not come to you if have dogs but do when you have other pets?

Salam,

lol first of all I just want to point out that its not haram to touch dogs, its haram to touch their mouths (i.e. saliva), this is not to make life harder on us, but rather to make life cleaner and safer. The main reason is because most dog diseases is transmitted through the dog's saliva, and therefore just like eating pig is a health hazard, dog saliva is a health hazard. This religion is to bring ease not hardship, and Allah wants us to always be safe. However, if you touch it, usually I've heard you should perform tayammum, and Allah knows best, of course.

This is from a Western doctor named Dr Goldwater:

Commissioner Goldwater of the Health Department is starting on a campaign which begins modestly, but which may end in the elimination of dogs from New York. "Can you tell me," said Dr. Goldwater yesterday, "what dogs are good for in a city? In the country they are all right, but in a city they are a nuisance from the point of view of sanitation, and there is always the danger of rabies."

Here is another VERY important health issue:

Some diseases, ailments, and poisons are common to both humans and dogs; others are different. Most diseases that affect dogs or humans are not transferable between the two species. There are some exceptions: Rabies, or Hydrophobia, is an often fatal disease that can be transmitted to humans by the bite of certain animals, including dogs. Areas that do not have the disease, such as Australia or the U.S. state of Hawaii, have strict quarantine laws to keep their territories rabies-free.Areas that do have the disease usually require that dogs be vaccinated against rabies. A bite from an unknown dog should always be treated, given the potentially fatal consequences if the dog was rabid. Parasites, particularly worms such as tapeworms and roundworms, can be transmitted in a dog's saliva or faeces.

So obviously, Allah only seeks our health and not our suffering.

Salam.

• Advanced Member

It is permissible, too, to keep dogs for hunting and guarding. They are loyal creatures and Allah created them therefore Allah is All-knowing. The best example of this is As7ab el Kahf; they had a dog with them in the cave, you can check the Quran if you wish, the Surah also says that they were a youth who believed. So dogs are okay to be used as guarding and hunting. Just do tayammum if you accidentally touch its saliva.

• Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

The dog mentioned in the Holy Qur'an was a working dog who did his duty, guarding over the men asleep in the cave. He did not play with the men, and the men did not touch him as a pet. The dog was not with them in the cave, but was a guard at the threshold to watch over them so that none may enter. Even though the dog was asleep, he would deter anyone who would think of going in the cave and disturbing the holy men.

According to Ayatollah Sistani:

106. The dogs and pigs which live on land are najis, and even their hair, bones, paws and nails, and every liquid substance of their body, is najis. However, sea dogs and pigs are Pak.

Link

Abu Sahl al-Qarshi asked Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s) about the dog:

"Is the dog haram?"

The Imam said,

"It is najis."

Abu Sahl repeated this question three times and the Imam always replied,

"It is najis."

Based on such teachings, our mujtahids have ruled that all parts of pigs and dogs, even the nails hair, teeth and bones and their saliva, milk, urine and excrement are najis. Therefore, all things made from pig’s fat, skin, hair, and other parts of its body (i.e.) belt, gloves, jackets and shoes) are najis. Similarly, all the food items produced from the meat and fat of pig is najis. (Wasa'il vol. 1, p. 1055 an 1016).

Link

Not saying you shouldn't be nice to animals but these are the laws.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

The dog mentioned in the Holy Qur'an was a working dog who did his duty, guarding over the men asleep in the cave. He did not play with the men, and the men did not touch him as a pet. The dog was not with them in the cave, but was a guard at the threshold to watch over them so that none may enter. Even though the dog was asleep, he would deter anyone who would think of going in the cave and disturbing the holy men.

Salam,

If you pay attention to what I wrote, I said keeping dogs for "hunting" and "guarding", I don't recall saying that ahlul Kahf played with the dog. Sorry if you misread.

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

A dog is a creature of Allah (SWT) it has its own purpose in this world as we do. Dogs have been useful to mankind for thousands of years and will always remain useful. The only problem with dogs are that they are "najis" meaning they are "unclean". Najasat can occur due to many reasons, and the reason that dogs as well as other animals are najis is because the salivate on themselves. Performing Wudhu can suffice after touching or being in contact with a "wet" dog, if the dog is dry najasat will not spread.

Ayatullah Sayyid Sistani on his website answers these two questions about dogs

Question: If a dog licks my body or clothes, how should I purify it?

Answer: It is sufficient to wash it once. However, if the water is little, it is necessary to rid it of the water by wringing.

Question: Is it permissible to keep a dog? If not, why?

Answer: It is permissible to keep a guard dog but it is najis.

• 5 years later...

You can touch them, but you need to wash your hands afterwards.

If you touch anything wet on them (e.g. wet fur), or their snout- you're najis (impure) and need to wash your hands. If they wet anything in your household, to make it pure again you need to wash it with sand once and water thrice. It is done so, to prevent the spread of disease (e.g. tapeworm).

This is all according to my understanding. You should check with your marji3 :)

• Veteran Member

It's not hard to see why dogs are najis.  Dogs are very unsanitary.  They drink from the toilet, eat poop, lick their own genitals, and roll around in filth.  

That said, there's nothing wrong with keeping a dog.  They are faithful companions who serve humans, provide companionship, and support the disabled.

Just wash your hands after touching them (if they are wet).  Give them their own space but don't let them roam freely in the house so they don't make it najis.  And for God's sake, please don't let them lick your faces or come near children 

• Basic Members

I find different countries have different attitudes towards dogs. In Morocco (where my mother is from) you see plenty of people owning dogs as pets. There are tons of strays too like many LEDCs. In the middle east it is rarer I think to find families with dogs as pets rather than guard dogs.

• Advanced Member

I have always wanted a puppy, i never understood why they're najis when i was younger, i was thinking like they're only an animal that God created, how could they be najis, but i kinda understand now, it still makes me sad, because i'd love to have my own puppy.

Edited by Rosiee

In Egypt also most people are afraid of dogs, and will use the 'najis' card just to justify why they want the owner to keep the dog away (out of panick, which they won't admit but it's obvious). It's because most stray dogs are highly abused and can end up aggressive , and the people who do have dogs usually beat them and lock them up so they become more aggressive. Then these dogs will bite anybody the first chance they get. Of course these dogs will never receive any love from their ignorant owners. Unlike Europe there are no laws about holding owners responsible for anything the dog does. In general middle easterners abuse their animals, including donkeys, horses, cats etc. it's sad, but true.

• Advanced Member

To answer the original question,

You're allowed to touch a dog, it's not haram, the only issue is your hand becoming najis by touching it.

If you touch the dog with a dry hand, and the dog's body/hair is dry, your hand does not become najis.

On the other hand, if you touch it with a wet hand, or the dog itself is wet to the point where if you touched it your hand would become wet as well, then your hand would become najis. 

In the case of your hand becoming wet and najis, it suffices you to wash it once with water under the tap. 

• Veteran Member

In Egypt also most people are afraid of dogs, and will use the 'najis' card just to justify why they want the owner to keep the dog away (out of panick, which they won't admit but it's obvious). It's because most stray dogs are highly abused and can end up aggressive , and the people who do have dogs usually beat them and lock them up so they become more aggressive. Then these dogs will bite anybody the first chance they get. Of course these dogs will never receive any love from their ignorant owners. Unlike Europe there are no laws about holding owners responsible for anything the dog does. In general middle easterners abuse their animals, including donkeys, horses, cats etc. it's sad, but true.

In my experience, the animals are abused so much that they aren't in a fit state to bite anyone, they are often emaciated and try and go about their day as best they can without getting more abuse.

I think that in order for dogs to become aggressive, they need to be well fed as well - abused with the intention of making them aggressive, not abused for the pleasure of morons.

It really is quite sad, they worst thing is, that you can find threads on shiachat with people (well Lebanese) actually defending abusing animals, laughing about it between themselves and being abusive to non-Lebanese who are against this kind of thing. May Allah guide us.