Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Mutazilites

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

that they believe Allah does not have power over all things? Or are their beliefs about this issue the same as ours where we say Allah has knowledge of All but gives us free will, there are things we dont have control over such as sex, race etc but others we do. Please provide reference. Thank you

• Advanced Member
that they believe Allah does not have power over all things? Or are their beliefs about this issue the same as ours where we say Allah has knowledge of All but gives us free will, there are things we dont have control over such as sex, race etc but others we do. Please provide reference. Thank you

Here are some sources of information; doesn't address those questions specifically but rather provides a broad over view:

http://www.muslimphilosophy.com/ip/rep/H052

http://www.muslimphilosophy.com/hmp/13.htm

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/History_of_Islam/The_Mutazilites-Asharites_debate

The last link is probably the best way to describe where I sit on these matters. I could go on in much greater detail but it would require a one on one conversation which I would rather not thrash out on a forum.

• Advanced Member
Thank you but i have already read those articles. It doesnt really address my question.

If by power over all things; do you mean a fatalism? because then you'd have a clear conflict between free will and divine will - if everything is controlled by Allah all the time then if I killed you then I could easily say that my actions were the result of Allah controlling me thus free will is out the window in favour of a fatalistic approach to life; no one is ever responsible for their actions because everything is controlled by Allah.

• Advanced Member

Assalamu ^Alaykum

The Imams have constanty told us not to boggle our minds with these matters as it will lead you astray. The matter is between determinism and freewill and nothing happens without The Will of Allaah. Whatever He Willed shall be and whatever He Willed not to be, shall not be. Allaah is Just and He will reward and punish us. We aquire the rewards of actions we do. Suffice to say we have a will to direct ourselves this way or that e.g to believe or not believe (in Allaah, for example). If we are the ones accountable then certainly we had a choice. Or choices are set upon conditional destiny as per The Will of Allaah which does not change