Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Music To Prevent Sleeping

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Salams

So I know music is haram and listening to it is not allowed, but what about special circumstances. I have to drive for long periods of time every few weeks, and as you can imagine it can make a person tired and sleepy. Therefore my question is, is it allowed to listen to music to prevent yourself from falling asleep, and avoiding a major accident? I know there are several different music threads on here and I don't want to make this into a conversation about whether or not it is haram to listen to music and what marja has what laws concerning listening to music(unless it relates to my question lol)

Thanks for all your help

• Advanced Member

Salams

So I know music is haram and listening to it is not allowed, but what about special circumstances. I have to drive for long periods of time every few weeks, and as you can imagine it can make a person tired and sleepy. Therefore my question is, is it allowed to listen to music to prevent yourself from falling asleep, and avoiding a major accident? I know there are several different music threads on here and I don't want to make this into a conversation about whether or not it is haram to listen to music and what marja has what laws concerning listening to music(unless it relates to my question lol)

Thanks for all your help

why dont you put latmiya'at? quran, or a lecture....

• Advanced Member

Salams

Thanks for all your help

Just a practical sense I wouldn't suggest doing that - religious reasons aside, it is unsafe and unhealthy. If you need to sleep then have a sleep because you're putting other drivers at risk. Your lights maybe on when driving but if you're tired - no one is at home.

• Advanced Member
meh, i find latmiyat extremely motivatonal and inspirational, especially in the gym aahha ;)

Lol, I know exactly what you mean.

My gym plays music all the time, so its impossible for me, i'd go for the earphones that blockout the noise in the environment but I normally go with someone else, train someone else, or get trained by someone else, so my ears gotta be open all the time :squeez:

True that basim latmyat isn't motivating much on the road , I suggest abather.

I normally listen to old manqabats or Nohas, try listening to these forms of Islamic audio you used to listen to in your childhood, you wont see yourself sleeping through that!

• Veteran Member

Salams

Thanks for all your help

(salam)

music is permissible it is only songs that lead to haram or sing about haram that are forbidden, many many ayatollah's allow lawful music, i could show you some if you want? and if this keeps you awake and up, you should not be putting yourself in harms way over something that many of our ayatollah's deem as lawful. but besides that do you follow a marja that says music is forbidden? if so who is your marja?

here i will post them and let you decide

Here is Ayatollah Saanei

It is legally forbidden and sinful to perform, produce, provide the tools and instruments for making, or to listen to any music, song, sound, and frivolous discourse which causes man to go astray and deviate form the way of Allah and beatitude. It should be said that spreading and encouraging indecencies, mental and physical sins, or laziness which leads to burdening the society, drug and alcohol addiction, and all other sins are among the cases of deviation from the way of Allah, and one must avoid all the ways and means which lead to committing them; therefore, any music which leads to committing such sins is illegal, irrespective of what kind the music and the instruments are; however, any music which does not involve misleading people, and which is not performed along with other sins being committed, such as mixing men and women to do vulgar things, is considered legal and permissible.

Ayatollah Jannati:

It is not correct to say that listening to sounds from

which men derive pleasure is forbidden. In my view, listening to such

tunes as classical music, which rouse a pleasant feeling in you and

relaxes you and helps you to get over your fatigue, is quite alright. I

urge the Radio and TV stations that air these tunes in such a way that it

is suited to the hour of the day. For example, in the early hours of the

day when people begin their work, happy and energetic tunes should

be played; conversely, at night, particularly during the time for rest and

tranquillity, soft music is more appropriate.

Ayatollah Fadlullah

Q: If the Islamic law (Sharia') was applied in Lebanon, would you prohibit singing?

A: Let us examine the Iranian experience in this respect where singing is not prohibited. There are some songs which are philosophical poems such as, the poems of Al-Fardawsi, Omar El-Khiam, Ikbal and the like. Moreover, the music that elevates the spirit and sublimates it such as the music of Chopin and Mozart is not prohibited. In general, we say that the classical music is not prohibited, as well as the music that soothes the nerves and elevates the soul and contains cultural elements that nourish the soul.

Q: Are there any impermissible musical instruments?

A: No, we do not say that there are impermissible musical instruments. Hence, if the instruments are accompanied with the permissible singing, they are permissible and if they are played with impermissible singing, they are impermissible.

Q: Some youths love songs, but they do not listen to them because they are prohibited; thus, they suffer from doing something against their will. What do you tell them?

A: We tell them that nowadays, we have some musical groups whose songs are broadcasted at “Al-Manar” television. These songs are not prohibited from a religious point of view. Moreover, the Iranian media broadcasts high-class songs and beautiful music. Hence, art, whether singing, acting, drawing or poetry aims at serving man. When art causes man spiritual or emotional behavioral damage, it will be dangerous. Otherwise, why are drugs prohibited all over the world? Are not they prohibited because of their negative effects? Accordingly, everything that has negative effects and whose disadvantages is more than its advantages is considered prohibited.

http://english.bayynat.org.lb/islamicinsights/elaph22062006.htm

http://english.bayynat.org.lb/islamicinsights/elaph_p2.htm

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei

Q1121: What are the criteria by which one can distinguish ḥalāl from ḥarām music? Is classical music ḥalāl?

A: Any music which is lahwī and mutrib in the common view — i.e., suitable for gatherings of merry making — is ḥarām whether it is classic or not. To distinguish the subject of a ruling depends on the view of the mukallaf as a part of common people. There is no objection to other kinds of music in itself.

(wasalam)

Edited by theunknownpreacher
  • Advanced Member

(salam) (bismillah)

Music, like other haraam things, may have some benefits, but the evil in it outweighs the good, otherwise it wouldnt be haraam, i advise you to listen to latmeya/lectures/quran as others have advised, much better for you, remember haraam has effect on your soul and if you do it a lot, (or a little bit) it has an impact, it makes you slowly turn to thinking good is bad, and bad is good, not all at once though.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Would it make any difference if this is a life and death situation? :unsure: For example, you have been driving for 6 hours and you have 4 more hours to go. You find yourself too tired and too sleepy.

hmm..probably we should check with a marja.

There is always the 1812 Overture - those cannon blasts will keep you awake lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

(salam)

Would it make any difference if this is a life and death situation? :unsure: For example, you have been driving for 6 hours and you have 4 more hours to go. You find yourself too tired and too sleepy.

hmm..probably we should check with a marja.

(salam)

Listening to music is haram. The only time one can indulge in haram is when their life is in immediate danger such as famine or starvation etc. going on a long drive has other solutions in terms of staking awakw besides music. such as:

coffee

radio (680 news [here in toronto])

lectures, latmiyat, mawalid etc.

tea

talking to someone with you

makeing phone calls

pulling over and sleeping

eating on snacks(peanuts, chips, etc.)

opening the window

turning down the heat

chewing gum

You have all these techniques available to you and think of it this way, if you do die (law sama7 Allah) then youll die struggling not to listen to music.

That is no excuse to listen to music and theres no need to ask a marja a silly question like that.

• Advanced Member

Just a practical sense I wouldn't suggest doing that - religious reasons aside, it is unsafe and unhealthy. If you need to sleep then have a sleep because you're putting other drivers at risk. Your lights maybe on when driving but if you're tired - no one is at home.

+1

• Basic Members

how about those talking cds, or audio books (try them at the library) or coffee or go to bed earlier . another point-- if u know ur driving AND sleepy and u might hurt someone or yourself (god forbid) thats also kind of haram too

Edited by sssaki5
  • Basic Members

Thank you all for your great replies. I have somewhat found the solution to this problem. On my recent long drives I have been listening to various stand up comedy albums which have been doing a pretty good job to keep me up but they dont really work if I dont get much sleep the night before, so I have been trying to get more sleep and avoiding music. As for listening to Quran and such, I dont want to say they are boring as it is quite interesting to listen to the translations, but in the long drives they dont help keep me awake, in fact listening to them makes me more relaxed.

• Advanced Member

+1

no kidding.  you are putting your life and other lives in danger.  a quick 10 or 15 minute nap will lighten up your heavy eyelids.