Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

The Authenticity Of The Saheehain

Rate this topic

But here is my problem with this overemphasis on technicality, were narraters who had shia, khariji mutazila or qadari sympathies weeded out ?

I have my doubts that Mu'atizilis ever participated in the narration of hadiths, but Shias, Kharijis, and Qadaris were not excluded from Saheeh Al-Bukhari for a fact.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veteran Member

most of my information of methodology of bukhari and muslim comes from "Canonization of bukhari & muslim" by J Brown.I think its a neutral nonpartisan view.But obviously they are more skeptical about bukhari's motivation for judging authenticity which was preserving orthodox sunni traditions

• Advanced Member

Which sahih you are talking about. The sahih Bukhari or the sahih Muslim?

As far as I know the above criteria is for only sahih Muslim and not sahih Bukhari!

I was wrong and it is the other way around:

Saheeh Al-Bukhaari is preferred over Saheeh Muslim based on the authenticity of the Hadeeths. Imaam Al-Bukhaari may Allaah have mercy upon him was more strict in selecting Hadeeths (chains) than Imaam Muslim may Allaah have mercy upon him. Besides considering all the conditions of a Saheeh Hadeeth, Imaam Al-Bukhaari may Allaah have mercy upon him stipulated a further condition that a narrator should meet the person from whom he is narrating the Hadeeth.

Imaam Muslim may Allaah have mercy upon him however, did not stipulate the evidence of meeting the narrator from whom he is narrating, but according to him, it is sufficient to accept the Hadeeth of a narrator if he lives in the same period and there was the possibility of meeting the narrator from whom he is reporting the Hadeeth. So, the condition of Imaam Muslim may Allaah have mercy upon him was less strict than the condition of Imaam Al-Bukhaari may Allaah have mercy upon him.

http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/archive/article.php?lang=E&id=136176

• Veteran Member

Unforunately, I cannot comment on his work since I am not familiar with it. I'd love to read through it some time to investigate his concerns.

his sources are primarily arabic and you will have access to them anyway.I opted for this work as its the best single volume scholarly english work on this subject