In the Name of God بسم الله

Fallible Follwing Infallible

Rate this topic

mabbas

• Basic Members

Asslam-o-Alaikum,

I have couple of questions.

"It is our belief that all the qualities possessed by the Prophets and the Imams (a.s.) were given to them by Allah (S.w.T.)’s Grace. They did not come to acquire any of these qualities on their own. Rather Allah (S.w.T.) bestowed upon them superior knowledge, character, power and perfect morals and exalted their position." 1

As quoted above, we Shia believe that Imams have special qualities bestowed by Allah and they are not like us. My question, is it justified that we, fallible humans, should strive to be like infallible humans?

Knowing the fact that Imams/Masoomeen had special qualities bestowed by Allah, they did not acquire these qualities on their own, and we can never be like them.

1) Isn't it against Allah's Justice? Asking a lower class of humans to be higher class humans?

2) What is the logical argument, as to why our Imams are infallible?

Reference:

1: Greater Sins by Ayatullah Abdul Husayn Dastaghaib Shirazi; Chapter 3 - First Greater Sin: Shirk (Polytheism)

http://www.al-islam.org/greater_sins_complete/

• Advanced Member

The qualities that are being referred to are the positions of Prophet-hood, Imamh, Miracles, the high position in this world and the hereafter...etc They gained these FROM Allah because they are such good people.

Allah (SwT) through his knowledge knows people and as such chooses when a person is to be born.

Anyway, Imams are infallible not because Allah FORCED them that way. They, out of their strong belief, see the RIGHT and the WRONG as clear as you can imagine, and out of this visibility they stay away from SIN. Example: I remember in a hadith someone asking the Imam about infallibility, and the Imam asked him if he would see it wise to run naked in the street. The man obviously said "no" and that such an act would bring shame and humiliation. The Imam replied, With such clarity we see Allah and are ashamed of committing sins. This is my retelling of the hadith, not an exact quote.

Please do ask until we can clearly understand this topic inshallah.

Peace.

Edited by AbdullaQ

• Advanced Member

Wa 'alaikum asalam,

"It is our belief that all the qualities possessed by the Prophets and the Imams (a.s.) were given to them by Allah (S.w.T.)’s Grace. They did not come to acquire any of these qualities on their own. Rather Allah (S.w.T.) bestowed upon them superior knowledge, character, power and perfect morals and exalted their position." 1

As quoted above, we Shia believe that Imams have special qualities bestowed by Allah and they are not like us. My question, is it justified that we, fallible humans, should strive to be like infallible humans?

Knowing the fact that Imams/Masoomeen had special qualities bestowed by Allah, they did not acquire these qualities on their own, and we can never be like them.

Even though Allah blessed the Prophets and Imams with a knowledge and protection (Isma) that we don't enjoy, this does not mean that they did not have free will, or that any positive quality that they had like generosity, forbearance, kindness etc. was automatically programmed into them. To be honest I am confused about this myself. :unsure: But I am sure that we would not praise the bravery of Imam Ali, the patience of Imam Hassan etc. if these qualities were just handed to them on a plate and there wasn't effort on their part to achieve them by themselves.

1) Isn't it against Allah's Justice? Asking a lower class of humans to be higher class humans?

2) What is the logical argument, as to why our Imams are infallible?

My understanding is that it is in accordance with the justice of Allah (swt) that the role models He blessed us with were infallible in their capacity as human beings. I say this because the justice of Allah means that on the Day of Judement, no one should be able to come forward with a plea against Him. Now suppose the role models that He asked for us to emulate (unconditionally) themselves sinned, would we not in this case have a plea against Him in that He asked for us to emulate sinners and therefore how could He hold us accountable for our sins. To have imperfect guides is to have imperfect guidance.

Allah does expect us to strive to be like Ahlul Bayt, and yes they were infallible and we are not, but I don't see this as reason to despair because I think it is not so much about getting there (to perfection) as it is about trying to get there.

• Veteran Member

Yes, it is our belief that the representatives of Allah (swt) are perfect and that we are imperfect. But remember that Allah (swt) will judge us for the efforts that we make and intent we show to reach those models and surely not why we could not become one ourselves!