Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Prayer And Parents

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)

i dont come from a very religious family, and my parents rarely pray salaat and in my life i have probably seen them pray very few times. if they avoid salaat purposely do i have to make it up for them after they pass away, because i think in islam it is my obligation as the oldest male child

• Veteran Member

(salam),

It is obligatory for you, only to complete your father's prayers. (and mother as well, if she specifies so in her will)

wa (salam),

BAJ

(salam)

is it permissible to offer them while they are alive? such as offer some prayers with the intention that the reward be for the parents? or does death have to occur first for this to be applicable?

(wasalam)

Edited by theunknownpreacher

hey you guys ever heard about the Judgment Day, let me tell you about it

it's the day when all humans get resurrected and judged by the Almighty God. We will be only be judged for what we have done, not by what people have done for us.

I know, it's an extremely hard concept to grasp and understand at first.

wow...

sooo whats the point of salaat, wen u can get someone else to do it?

soo why do you ask such a stupid question if you know the answer. you have no obligation to pray for others, parents or not. if they don't pray it's their problem.

to pray is to bow down to God. you can't bow down to God for somebody else.

Edited by naro
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

Sayyed Sistani replies to this question as followes:

Question: Is it obligatory upon a deceased man's son to give the qaza of his father's prayers?

Answer: If a person did not offer some of his obligatory prayers, and did not care to give qadha, in spite of being able to do so, after his death, it is upon his eldest son, as an obligatory precaution to perform those qadha, provided that the father did not leave them as a deliberate act of transgression. If the son cannot do so, he may hire someone to perform them. The qadha prayers of his mother is not obligatory upon him, though it is better if he performs them.

Though I would appreciate if someone clarifies the difference between "did not care to give qadha, in spite of being able to do so," and "provided that the father did not leave them as a deliberate act of transgression".

This is ridiculous. This defies all logic and the very basis of Islam. This defies the accountability that Islam has. Whether a parent leaves prayer as an act of deviation or out of laziness or any other reason, I would be hard pressed to accept a ruling that says that someone of his or her progeny could make up those prayers for them and better yet that it would be mandatory on the person. It's ridiculous.

^ Well if they dont pray normally 5 times a day, then u can do it for them when they are alive. ;)

This is not true, you should be more careful when giving out fatwas!

This is ridiculous. This defies all logic and the very basis of Islam. This defies the accountability that Islam has. Whether a parent leaves prayer as an act of deviation or out of laziness or any other reason, I would be hard pressed to accept a ruling that says that someone of his or her progeny could make up those prayers for them and better yet that it would be mandatory on the person. It's ridiculous.

Yes and to an outsider somebody standing on a carpet bending and kneeling and raising his hands to his head is also ridiculous, somebody starving himself from morning till night fall is stupid, illogical and ridiculous, somebody walking in circles around a box in mecca and throwing stones at a wall is ridiculous, but to us it isn't because we actually look for the reasons for why we do these things, try to understand the logic behind it, we don't judge it automatically without first trying to understand it, and quite frankly, that is what you are doing here.

Before you judge something that seems illogical and stupid to be that, maybe you should look into the reasons for it and try to understand it, or you are no better than the people of other faiths who judge Islam.

Yes and to an outsider somebody standing on a carpet bending and kneeling and raising his hands to his head is also ridiculous, somebody starving himself from morning till night fall is stupid, illogical and ridiculous, somebody walking in circles around a box in mecca and throwing stones at a wall is ridiculous, but to us it isn't because we actually look for the reasons for why we do these things, try to understand the logic behind it, we don't judge it automatically without first trying to understand it, and quite frankly, that is what you are doing here.

Before you judge something that seems illogical and stupid to be that, maybe you should look into the reasons for it and try to understand it, or you are no better than the people of other faiths who judge Islam.

The man you quoted began his reply with :

This defies all logic and the very basis of Islam.

The logic and basis of Islam is :

You will be judged for what you have done

What you say :

You have to pray for somebody else or else it's wrong

Logic then says to you :

You are against the logic and basis of Islam, if they miss their prayer, it's their fault and they cannot be forgiven on the basis of someone else's actions.

Before you judge something that seems illogical and stupid to be that, maybe you should look into the reasons for it and try to understand it

So why don't you do it instead of replying with a stupid comparison ?

Sistani doesn't even explain it, no one here explained it.

You are welcome to start explaining why one should pray for someone else.

^ No, though I can very well explain it, I won't, because I am not spoon feeding you children in order to help you learn when you don't even wish to. If you care about finding out the truth then go search for it, if you don't then that is up to you and to each their own.

However, in reply to your first point: praying toward a box in mecca or bowing on a rock also looks like we are worshiping other than Allah swt, and this too would be going against the basis of Islam. My response to you is: not everything is how it seems.

Go do your own research to learn and better yourself and stop judging things you don't understand based on your limited outlook on things.

^ No, though I can very well explain it, I won't, because I am not spoon feeding you children in order to help you learn when you don't even wish to. If you care about finding out the truth then go search for it, if you don't then that is up to you and to each their own.

Ah...Truth hurts, but I didn't expect it to cut your tongue.

However, in reply to your first point: praying toward a box in mecca or bowing on a rock also looks like we are worshiping other than Allah swt, and this too would be going against the basis of Islam. My response to you is: not everything is how it seems.

Who do you think I am, a donkey ? I can perfectly understand and explain such things.

Go do your own research to learn and better yourself and stop judging things you don't understand based on your limited outlook on things.

Ok Mr.Useless :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

This is just opinion so don't take what I say as correct.

Well using logic, if a person doesn't pray such as the parents and they know they should be praying and it is obligatory for them then they will be accounted for this on Judgement day.

The eldest son's role well Im not sure about it but if the 'neeya' (the will) is to make up for the mistakes the parents are doing (not praying) then I think the eldest son would be maybe rewarded upon his action...

I'm not really sure Im not a scholar or anything just presenting some opinions.

Salam ;)