Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Putting Pics Up?

Rate this topic

3alawiyeh

(salam)

I recently came across some article that was written by a Muslim woman about hijabi's putting up their pictures on social networking sites, such as Facebook or MySpace.

What do you think about it?

[The text in bold is the article]

(wasalam)

Hijabi? Putting Pictures on Facebook?

Is that really a good idea?

Ever seen a Hijabi posting her most beautiful pictures on Facebook? I have. And it's completely beyond my understanding. Before everyone concludes I'm an extremist of some sort, I'll admit that I'm on Facebook too, and at some point, I have also posted my pictures up. But that's when I discovered that several months of Facebook usage still does not empower most of us with the ability to conquer the privacy settings on our profiles, if they were ever of any use to start with.

Sure, we all want to show our friends how drop dead gorgeous we were looking at some party we went to. We also want to prove to our non-Hijabi friends how we resemble those supermodels on TV when we dress up for the "Halal prom". We also want to amaze our non-Muslim female friends with the awesome hairstyles and colors under our Hijab. In all honesty, we just want to have some fun and share our exciting Kodak moments with our friends, right?

I once spoke to a fellow Hijabi about posting pictures of herself without Hijab on Facebook, MSN, and other online social networking services. She said, "I know that there will always be the possibility of non-mahrams seeing my pictures while my friends are looking at them, but it's their responsibility to take care of my Hijab, I trust them. I guess I'm just one of those girls who don't like thinking outside the box."

Pure intentions aside, since when has there been the Islamic exception of trusting others with our Hijab? And what does thinking outside the box have to do with anything? If others were trustworthy enough to take care of our Hijab, then I'd never have come across those online photos of posing Hijabis featuring the religious leader's wife without Hijab in the background.

Fortunately, 50 percent of Hijabis are wise enough to avoid posting non-Hijabi pictures on such public websites. But the number of Hijabis who make their profile pictures (which can usually be accessed by the entire Facebook network) a picture of themselves is simply overwhelming. Of course, it is technically "permissible" for non-mahrams to see us while we are in Hijab, but the majority of Hijabis are so dolled up in their display pictures that it seems as though someone forced a headscarf on the winner of America's Next Top Model.

Of course, sisters are not alone when it comes to the competition of who looks the hottest in their Facebook display picture. The brothers have been quick to catch on. Posing with their Versace sunglasses and slick t-shirts (if they are wearing one at all), down to the core of the matter, it has become a game of impressing anyone and everyone, as long as you're on Facebook.

But the photo album disease is also spreading far and wide with the adults too! The number of parents who are posting pictures of their children is absolutely terrifying. It's understandable that parents want to show off their beautiful children to their friends; however, it goes without saying that many of these parents are not exactly quite tech-savvy and not too proficient when it comes to privacy settings, thereby often leaving their children's pictures publicly accessible by any and all weirdos.

Furthermore, according to a report by the BBC, a team of researchers from Cambridge University analyzed sixteen social networking websites and discovered that some sites, including Facebook, stored photos of users and allowed them to be viewed by others, even after the user deleted them. They did this by uploading pictures and noting down the image URLs. "When checked 30 days later, these links continued to work for seven of the sites, even though a typical user might think the photos had been removed," the researchers found. Despite all the privacy settings and limitations we may try and implement to our Facebook and other online profiles, more likely than not there will always be a loophole in the system, a fact that many of us are quite oblivious to.

Another classic example of privacy settings gone wrong is adding an application or taking certain quizzes on Facebook, which give the creator access to our entire profile, including all our private photos and the "public link" on our albums, which gives anyone who has this link complete access to all our "hidden" pictures.

While there are multiple benefits of having pictures on Facebook, including "so my friends know it's me who is adding them" and "my relatives overseas want to see what I look like", it's quite a risky business. Accessible from Google, the entire process of having our pictures downloaded and saved on someone's computer takes only a few seconds. It is very possible that a Hijabi sister's cute profile picture of her having a good time with friends might very well end up in the hands of an overzealous matchmaker in the community and ogled over by dozens of boys around the globe, and vice versa.

The essence of Hijab is simple: to conceal as much as possible and only display our beauty when absolutely necessary. If Facebook profile pictures were an absolutely necessary place for Muslims girls, boys, and adults to post their most stunning and attractive pictures for the whole world to see, then I guess I've been slow to jump on the bandwagon.

Edited by 3alawiyeh

• Advanced Member

Bit of a sexist article. If they're observing hijab properly then who cares?

Although i do agree with not posting glamour photos and the ugly pouty pose eek. Almost all my friends on facebook have normal photos.

That's what I thought when I read the article.

But I found this paragraph pretty dumb:

But the photo album disease is also spreading far and wide with the adults too! The number of parents who are posting pictures of their children is absolutely terrifying. It's understandable that parents want to show off their beautiful children to their friends; however, it goes without saying that many of these parents are not exactly quite tech-savvy and not too proficient when it comes to privacy settings, thereby often leaving their children's pictures publicly accessible by any and all weirdos.

• Advanced Member

huh?

this is the same thinkin when i see 'dont give email address to anyone in shiachat' >> well, dont be so paranoid

<<normal person with normal photos n rejecting people that i dont know in person at facebook

(so i dont like became a fan of shiachat facebook)

• Advanced Member
Putting Pics Up? What do you think of hijabi's putting their pics up on public sites?

I don't think we have the right to judge others for what they do or to make assumptions neglecting the fact that we have no access to their real intentions. Although she generalised a lot, the woman who wrote this article does have a valid point and her message is constructive to some extend however it should not be meant for us to waste our time analysing/judging what others do but rather it should be directed to those who are misusing Facebook(and its likes) to be reminded of the purpose of hijaab and the responsibilities that come along with it.

I don't think we have the right to judge others for what they do or to make assumptions neglecting the fact that we have no access to their real intentions. Although she generalised a lot, the woman who wrote this article does have a valid point and her message is constructive to some extend however it should not be meant for us to waste our time analysing/judging what others do but rather it should be directed to those who are misusing Facebook(and its likes) to be reminded of the purpose of hijaab and the responsibilities that come along with it.

Oh, sorry! I didn't mean to sound like I was judging anybody, I was just curious as to what everyone's opinion was on this subject.

Soooooorry. >.<

• Advanced Member

I don't post my pix on my facebook, however I think it's fine if the pictures are modest and natural.

Lol its funny when I see "sexy" pictures of modest/nerdy/polite hijabi girls on facebook, I stopped being surprised

• Advanced Member

Oh, sorry! I didn't mean to sound like I was judging anybody, I was just curious as to what everyone's opinion was on this subject.

Soooooorry. >.<

That was not my point, nonetheless you don't need to apologise to me as I don't even use facebook!

• Advanced Member

(salam)

In my humble opinion, people need to realise that social networking sites are just like walking outside. If you don't want people to see you without your hijab, don't walk out of the privacy of your own house without it. You have your "privacy settings" when you walk out of your house by covering to whatever extent you choose. Think about your own personal "privacy settings" when you post pictures on-line and you won't have to worry about networking sites and their own complex little rules.

Another classic example of privacy settings gone wrong is adding an application or taking certain quizzes on Facebook, which give the creator access to our entire profile, including all our private photos and the "public link" on our albums, which gives anyone who has this link complete access to all our "hidden" pictures.

i am not sure about this being true because i have tried giving link to some family albums which my cousins might have put on strict privacy settings...and even the link didn't give them access.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

^ I once got through into my cousins facebook (which was also on strict private settings) just by clicking on a link to a photo that they have commented on. (It's very easy to get into peoples picture albums. If you go through their wall, and it writes that they have commented on their photo - which contains a link - then just by that one link, you get to see the whole album. Pretty scary).

• Advanced Member

We should be very careful not to upload any pictures that are haram for na mahram to look at. The responsibility is directly on us. Even if the site is private there are many ways to obtain them. I always say never put your pics on the internet. they can also be misused.

• Advanced Member

I agree with the main point of the article

part of wearing hijab is about not displaying yourselves like in the time of jahiliyyah

it is completely inappropriate for a hijabi to post pics on facebook, blogs etc..

and as for posting pictures without hijab, Allah Musta'aan.

Edited by Ukht

• Veteran Member

If anyone does put non hijab pictures online, they should be aware of the fact that the people who run the website have access to everything except their password (if the wesbite does indeed encrypt that, and the big ones do) no matter what the privacy settings are.

Edited by Muhammed Ali

• 4 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

As an extremist too , I totally agree with this journalist . I think that Hijabi's (true pure moo'mines one) should NOT have facebook at all .Because It is a waste of time..instead of socializing on facebook....we can read quran .After all, we BELIEVE that there is an akhira , and we have sayeda fatema in our heart. We have to be like her ,as a shia True muslim . Because by posting pictures of ourselves on facebook ,we are showing a bad image on Islam . (eg : this girl prays..fears Allah...immitates sayeda fatima ...loves nabi mohamed...and post her pictures own facebook ,,) This doesn't match and we must be afraid of Allah ,because we Believe in him.We shall all get back to Allah . dont destroy the ummah .

(sorry , im not good in english , it's because I live in Montreal ,and here we speak french more.. hehe )