Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why Cant I Cry In Ashura Anymore!?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Assalam 3laikum wr wb brothers and sisters.

Last year was my first ashura, and i wept so much, but this year, i feel the pain, but i do not cry. Why? I make Dua for tears to come and I ask Allah to help me cry for Imam Hussein(as) and the whole of the Ahlulbayt(as). But nothing comes, maybe a few tears here and there, but nothing like last year.

Does anyone know why this has happend to me? Has it ever happened to you?

It hurts in my heart so much to hear this, about the Ahlulbayt(as), but I cannot cry!?

Please help me brothers and sisters.

JazakAllah Kheir

Sis. Sukayna (Emma)

• Advanced Member

Salam sister,

Ashura is not about the physical act of shedding tears, but understanding the events and what they mean- especially what it means for us today and the importance of remembering! To be honest, in my opinion, Imam Hussayn [as] does not want us to cry but instead to represent what he died for (true Islam) I wish people would focus on that as much. Obviously it is physically painful to hear the details of how our pure Imam was brutally and ruthlessly murdered, but you shouldnt judge yourself on whether you cry or not.

May I suggest you focus your prayers to God not on helping you cry, but helping you and our Muslim ummah revive Imam Hussayn's message and dedicate ourselves to what he died for. Your heart is in the right place, may God bless you.

salam

It might be the speaker's choice of words that mentally spark pain to you but don't hit that button that just shakes you to the point of wanting to cry. I can be listening to one speaker who is saying almost the same thing as the other, but he doesn't make me cry whereas the other makes me cry A LOT.

It might also be the atmosphere that you are in during the day, or even before the majlis starts. If you are in a completely everyday normal atmosphere where u are joking with your friend and normal, then you want to switch to mourning and crying mode it might be more difficult than if you are sad throughout the day and are in the 3ashura mood.

not taking away anything from the above comments... i asked a pious momin regarding this issue as we were sitting down and i related to him about how a person i know said that he cant cry when he listens to majlis as its the same thing every year.. he smiled and said that there is a saying of Imam masoomeen (as) that a person doesnt cry listening to the maisib of karbala whose heart has become hard from sinning..

so it could be something you did or doing thats preventing you to reach that stage of bond between Ahlulbayt (as) and you... or it could be the person you are listening to is not good or you can be distracted...

from my experience if you are not TRULY sincere towards Ahlulbayt (as) no matter how hard you try tears wont come...

In the name of Allah.

With all due respect to Abu Zayed and those who say that it's not so much about the tears, etc. I must say that Abu Zayed's comment "in my opinion.." is just that; your own personal opinion which is unfounded and has no basis in the tradition of Ahlul-Bayt (as)!

How many narrations do you want me to list on the significance of tears, crying, weeping, even screaming out of grief for the unspeakable tragedy of Imam Hussein?!

Imam Hussein himself says: "I am the martyr of the tears; no believer remembers me except that they cry".

So let's not try to play the 'civility' game whereby Imam Hussein's tragedy is turned into an abstract, intellectual discussion in a classrom, with no emotions or sentiments. Ask any clinical psychologist and they're tell you that emotions are an itegral part of experiential learning. It is the rational intellect itself which testifies to the fact that if you cannot connect emotionally to the tragedy, then you can never fully appreciate the theoretical aspect of the Imam's message.

Let's leave our own opinions out of this discussion and just follow the Ahlulbayt who not only shed tears for Imam Hussein but blessed those who "scream out of agony and grief" as per the narration of Imam al Sadeq (as).

• Advanced Member

Last year was my first ashura, and i wept so much, but this year, i feel the pain, but i do not cry. Why? I make Dua for tears to come and I ask Allah to help me cry for Imam Hussein(as) and the whole of the Ahlulbayt(as). But nothing comes, maybe a few tears here and there, but nothing like last year.

It hurts in my heart so much to hear this, about the Ahlulbayt(as), but I cannot cry!?

JazakAllah Kheir

Sis. Sukayna (Emma)

many will justify the 'you-don't-have-to-cry' but hey, it's time to self-assess yourself.

perhaps, listening to nohas or reading more of the tragedy in Karbala will make you feel and understand better.. so when you shed tears, you shed with realisation and not cuz everyone is doing so.

but if you can't cry even after doing this, you have a big problem. like ive mentioned, self-assessment!

• Basic Members

JazakAllah Kheir

Sis. Sukayna (Emma)

Aasalam Alaikum

I hope many has already given the answer of ur question.........

Now if u can please provide me the below mention information.

i required the family tree for Hazart Ali & Imam Hussain,if you have ?

is any statement is used for Hazart Ali in Quran????

• Basic Members

asalam o alekum

it all depends on how the story of karballa is read and also on the person reading it. sometimes is you attend 2 majlis in one day and story read is simillar then you might not cry e.g tiers might not flow , but ur heart cries.

so always remember as long as your heart cries then ur ok. if it doesnt then ur bad.

i hope i answered your question

• Advanced Member

JazakAllah Kheir

Sis. Sukayna (Emma)

(salam)

I knw how you feel - I've felt so a few times this year as well ...

But try to imagine yourself there, witnessing the death of Imam Hussein's a.s friends and family

Try to imagine yourself there, witnessing the death of the Imam - fifth of the Ahul Ul Bayt - whom Allah swt has created the whole universe for - slaughtered the way we slaughter lambs

Try to imagine what Imam Hussein a.s felt - having his brother, his young nephews, and his sons slaughtered

Try to imagine what Lady Zaynab pbuh felt - enduring all of this - and responsible of the women and children after the death of the men

Try to imagine every detail of the events that happend on that day

Try to imagine Lady Zaynab's pbuh response to Umar bin Saad; when questioned about what she thought about the events at Karbala

and when she answered « Ma ra2ytou illa jamillan» (I have found it nothing but beautiful)

When I think about these I can't help but to truly believe that in fact, there is NO day like the tenth of Muharram ...

Labayka ya Hussain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

This has also happened to me!! I feel so ashamed, but I think I know why I wasn't able to cry... I guess I've sinned a bit more lately :cry:

Inshallah Allah will give you the strength to understand even a bit of the tragedy of Kerbala (as we understand almost nothing of its true essence) and He allows you to cry for Imam Hussain (Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã). May Allah forgive us all and guide us to His Straight Path. Ameen.

Çááåã Õá Úáì ãÍãÏ æÇá ãÍãÏ

(wassalam)

• Basic Members

Salam sister,

Ashura is not about the physical act of shedding tears, but understanding the events and what they mean- especially what it means for us today and the importance of remembering! To be honest, in my opinion, Imam Hussayn [as] does not want us to cry but instead to represent what he died for (true Islam) I wish people would focus on that as much. Obviously it is physically painful to hear the details of how our pure Imam was brutally and ruthlessly murdered, but you shouldnt judge yourself on whether you cry or not.

May I suggest you focus your prayers to God not on helping you cry, but helping you and our Muslim ummah revive Imam Hussayn's message and dedicate ourselves to what he died for. Your heart is in the right place, may God bless you.

salam

I fully understand what you are saying brother. But what the sister means is that they feel it being a honor to cry in the way of Ahlul bayt. My mother always tells me "Never, are you allowed to, cry; except for Imam Hussein and the Ahlul Bayt." Yes, I'm sure Imam Hussein wants us to live and represent what he died for, but it is said in the rawayats,

that when we pass the Sirat on the day of judgement and hell is under us and we are on a thin rope, one tear we shed for Imam Hussein and his Companions can put out the ENTIRE hell's fire.

Brother Abu_Zayed is right, Imam Hussein will surely care more for those who represented his way over the ones who cried during Muharram and then did whatever they wanted during the rest of the year.

Edited by Turbat al Karbala
  • Basic Members

(salam)

I knw how you feel - I've felt so a few times this year as well ...

But try to imagine yourself there, witnessing the death of Imam Hussein's a.s friends and family

Try to imagine yourself there, witnessing the death of the Imam - fifth of the Ahul Ul Bayt - whom Allah swt has created the whole universe for - slaughtered the way we slaughter lambs

Try to imagine what Imam Hussein a.s felt - having his brother, his young nephews, and his sons slaughtered

Try to imagine what Lady Zaynab pbuh felt - enduring all of this - and responsible of the women and children after the death of the men

Try to imagine every detail of the events that happend on that day

Try to imagine Lady Zaynab's pbuh response to Umar bin Saad; when questioned about what she thought about the events at Karbala

and when she answered « Ma ra2ytou illa jamillan» (I have found it nothing but beautiful)

When I think about these I can't help but to truly believe that in fact, there is NO day like the tenth of Muharram ...

Labayka ya Hussain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here you are mistaken brother. We honor lambs, give them water, and kill them in one stroke so they wont feel the pain,

Imam Hussein Al-Madloom wasn't even given that, he was killed brutally and his body was beheaded.

but the rest is totally right.

• Advanced Member

Here you are mistaken brother. We honor lambs, give them water, and kill them in one stroke so they wont feel the pain,

Imam Hussein Al-Madloom wasn't even given that, he was killed brutally and his body was beheaded.

but the rest is totally right.

(salam)

Your right - I understand what your saying, but it's a «figure of speech» ..

many scholars say so to show how an Imam as great as Imam Hussein (aleyhe salam ), was killed the way we kill lambs; animals we eat...

(wasalam)

salam

do you have something else on your mind that is distracting you? maybe a personal problem? sometimes when we go through life challenges, we respond by repressing our emotional side so that we can get through the day.

this is one time of year when that emotional side usually ends up coming out though.

it is dangerous if we dont feel sadness or compassion at things that should hurt.... a sign of a healthy soul is that we are compassionate, so that might be worth looking into

SALAMSSSS

Dude Emma/Sukaina don't get hung up about it please - feels like rubbish I know but don't cause thats exactly how Shaytan likes to play it - he has his game see - and the more u dont cry - the more u think 'how bad am i that i cant cry and every tom harry and sheila can cry - and they don't even pray etc' naudhubillah. He wants you to just dwell on why u dont cry and get more and more worked up. LET IT BE! Say to yourself - in my heart - how do i feel? ok so I love Imam Hussain (as) let that be enough. Then when you have resigned yourself to that - then do what he would want you to do. Act in his way and continue and continue. Pray sincerely - then one day - you will sit and hear something or watch a utube noha or something and tears will come.

This happened to me a few times and I would feel awful - I would be like why can't I cry - what's the point of being a lover of ahlulbayt if u cant cry? etc Makes u feel rubbish - but its just Shaytan's way of trying to conquer u and MORE IMPORTANTLY distance you from Ahlul bayt - he makes it seem that the gulf is so wide why bother trying and he makes you forget they are Kareem. They love you before you even want to cry. And anyone who makes a crying face gets reward. But really you know when it comes to tears - the reward isnt the deal. The love is the what we are all seeking but I will tell you what - if you cry and commit sins after how is that being loyal? So just realise you have to ride it out.

• Site Administrators

Maybe it was a good thing that you weren't, coz at the last majlis, instead of crying, i walked out cursing the people in there that were crying, maybe someone was doing that at your majlis too!

• Advanced Member

Salam,

Crying for Imam Hussain a.s. is indeed a very nice way of showing respect and love towards him. But like everyone else, I do believe that we should first of all follow the path that he showed us and be true Mulsims and Momins.

As for tears not coming out of your eyes, drink load of water and eat "masoor ki daal". (Egyptian Lentil, I think thats what u call it.). But dont forget the main thing: feel his pain, like you would and to be sad and unhappy about his sorrows in your heart!!! I think there is even a hidth from Imam Sadiq or Imam Musa about the masoor ki daal.!!!

May god help us be true Muslims.

• Advanced Member

Just like to share what i have noticed about myselves over the years. I went to sham for ziyarat the very first time 5yrs ago, and i don't know why but from the time i was there till now i cried more than i ever did before i arrived in sham. Totally my own opinion, but i felt that Bibi(sa) had blessed me. At times i try to control myself in majlises to stop myself from getting too loud, which is why i prefer to sit near sisters who will not look at me and think whats up with you?. I also notice that certain masaibs of certain personalities, i feel more pain uncontrollable. Such as day of Ashura, Mola Ghazi Abbas(as), Hazrat Ali Akbar, Imam Zain ul abideen(as) and Bibi Sakina(sa).