Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

PCOS

• Advanced Member

Salam

I'm making this topic to spread awareness of polycystic ovary syndrome, also knows as just PCOS. It's an inherited condition that approximately 1 in 4 women suffer from, often without even knowing it. I think it's important for both women and men to know about PCOS because some of the symptoms of this condition are very physical ones, and women who suffer with them often are judged by people - who think women inflict these physical "flaws" on themselves. Anyway, please read this short, but elaborate description of PCOS: Netdoctor

Edited by Alpha_Female

• Advanced Member

Thanks for sharing the info.Poly-cystic ovarian syndrome,is among the major causes of infertility.Women who're putting-on too much weight,they should really worry about this.Women who've disturbed menstrual cycles,they just take it perfunctorily.Ya ought to be very conscious if you're having any health issues. some of the symptoms aren't mentioned in the article so let me elaborate them as well

1:snoring while sleeping

2:Appearance of brown spots on the breasts and belly

3:Extreme pain in feet

I've a question and it always leads me to a perplexed state of mind?I usually misconstrue Amenorrhea with Poly-cystic ovarian Syndrome?Is Amenorrhea the early stage of Poly-cystic ovarian syndrome?Any Doc up-here:unsure:?only professionals please,if you're not a Doc so please don't bother to reply.I'm utterly confused b/w these two terminologies.

Edited by saba fatima naqvi

• 3 weeks later...

Amenorrhoea - is when u do not have periods for whatever reason. A lack of menstruation.

You should be careful to get information from any website. Rather look to ones that other medical professionals would recommend you to access info from. In addition you kind of need some medical bkground to understand some of them because some of them are not targeted to give patients information but to educate health professionals.

FROM GP NOTEBOOK - a really good site but again aimed at health professionals.

In the UK, up to 33% of women have polycystic ovaries (i.e. 10 or more follicles per ovary detected on ultrasound) (1).

Of these, an estimated 33% have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), generally defined in the UK as polycystic ovaries together with one or more characteristic features (hirsutism, acne, male-pattern baldness, amenorrhoea or oligomenorrhoea, or raised serum concentrations of testosterone and/or luteinising hormone) (2,3).

hirsutism - is excessive hair in areas where you would not normally expect to have hair - this could be due to factors other than PCOS ie familial ie your born that way, your racial genetics predispose you to being hairy.

Amenorrhoea - no periods

oligomenorrhoea - few periods

Then the hormones are checked by a blood test. If someone is really paranoid about having it - they have irregular periods in addition to their worry - you can go to your doctor for a blood test.

Ultarsound scan will detect the polycystic ovaries but that is not diagnostic of PCOS. Nor do u have to polycystic ovaries to be diagnosed with PCOS according to certain criteria.

Edited by Peace

• Advanced Member

(salam)

As a sufferer of PCOS for 20 years, I would like to express my gratitude to the OP for wanting to raise awareness of such an awful disease. I have experienced everything PCOS could possibly throw at me, and am currently dealing with being pre-cancerous, as a direct result of the PCOS.

As for these ridiculous comments that should not come from a ShiaChat Admin...

Lack of exercise, living in a polluted environment, surrounded by EMR, eating of inorganic food and being unmarried is the main cause of this !!!

^ blah blah blah :P

"it's genetic" is the excuse everyone gives today to hide the real causes and to make ppl feel hopeless and believe that it was just fate. :huh:

How insensitive! I lived a very healthy childhood, in a healthy environment, eating healthy food, exercised regularly, and was married young. So throw that theory out the window. Yes, PCOS is genetic. Perhaps this genetic "excuse" is because we have now got the technology to identify genes and the causes of peoples illnesses in life. Fate? Yes, to a point. Is it your fate that you end up with that bad gene, yet others in your family don't? Absolutely. It's in God's hands, and He knows best.

Do a little research before you slam genetics. We have another disease in our gene pool (yep, I'm so lucky to be born from this blood line!) that is called Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia. It has rendered my grandfather a paraplegic, my uncle is on his way to becoming a paraplegic, and we are currently in the process of using genetic testing to see if any other members of our family will be destined for the same path. Genetics are an important part of health care - they help identify problems, allow early interventions and are not an excuse for feeling hopeless. I'd rather know what I've got, why I've got it and how I can treat it.

Sorry to go on, but this has got me really mad. :mad:

Anyway...

There is another theory as to why PCOS is out there, and when you think about it, it is another one of those amazing things from God. This particular theory is that in times of famine, women with PCOS have enough fat stores to outlive the slim women - starvation makes the overweight women slim and reverses the problems of PCOS and allows these women to bear children to ensure the continuation of the population. It is prevalent in the Australian Aboriginal communities (which is where my blood lines originate, so thanks again for that Dad!), which supports that theory. Oh, and yes, that is how hard it is for a PCOS sufferer to lose weight - the only time I've lost more than a few kilos is when I went through a very stressful time in my life and didn't eat. I don't recommend it, but again, supports this theory.

So, enough of my ramblings. One last thing - if anyone wants any information (I am a health professional, but not a doctor) from someone who has been there done that, or if you need a supportive ear, please don't hesitate to send me an IM.

Hijabikel

^ I also have PCOS, and i was actually on the almost-underweight-but-not-quite-there stage for a longgg time, until i took 6 months off school and sat at home all day eating junk food, so i gained 20 lbs and now im at a really healthy weight =D

Both my older brothers began balding at like 17ish btw, and my oldest is now 24 and almost completely bald, second is following.

You should check out this amazing book made specifically for people with the disease, http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/pcos-book-res.html .

Alhamdulillah I don't have it bad with the disease, i don't have a completely absent period, im not overweight and stuck there, im not overly hairy, basically the only sign that anything is wrong is skipping periods when im not on birth control pills.

There are other options that i want to discuss with my doctor soon though, a pill that is usually used for diabetics but that controls insulin levels in the body, causing for the high insulin rate to decrease, thus not having excess insulin turn into testosterone and thus, not affecting the ovaries in ovulation. There have been many success cases with that pill and i would rather have my ovary be ovulating an egg every month than on birth control pill and it pretending to.

Also, how do you feel about the drilling that has proven (for some strange reason) to allow the body to act in a normal way? Have you heard of it?

• Advanced Member

^ I also have PCOS, and i was actually on the almost-underweight-but-not-quite-there stage for a longgg time, until i took 6 months off school and sat at home all day eating junk food, so i gained 20 lbs and now im at a really healthy weight =D

Both my older brothers began balding at like 17ish btw, and my oldest is now 24 and almost completely bald, second is following.

You should check out this amazing book made specifically for people with the disease, http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/pcos-book-res.html .

Alhamdulillah I don't have it bad with the disease, i don't have a completely absent period, im not overweight and stuck there, im not overly hairy, basically the only sign that anything is wrong is skipping periods when im not on birth control pills.

There are other options that i want to discuss with my doctor soon though, a pill that is usually used for diabetics but that controls insulin levels in the body, causing for the high insulin rate to decrease, thus not having excess insulin turn into testosterone and thus, not affecting the ovaries in ovulation. There have been many success cases with that pill and i would rather have my ovary be ovulating an egg every month than on birth control pill and it pretending to.

Also, how do you feel about the drilling that has proven (for some strange reason) to allow the body to act in a normal way? Have you heard of it?

It sounds like you are fortunate enough to have a fairly mild case of PCOS, but I am sorry that this is something that you are dealing with, at whatever level.

Metformin is the diabetes medication you are thinking about. Have you been tested for insulin resistance? This is a good indicator as to whether Metformin will be useful for you. I would highly recommend that you see a reproductive endocrinologist before you start this medication. They will assess your exact situation and make sure that you are closely monitored. Like all medications, it comes with side effects. I was on Metformin for a time, however I had some quite adverse side effects and had to stop taking it. But, at least I gave it a shot.

Shay is right about ovarian drilling - they laser 10-20 holes into the ovaries. They are not sure why this works, but hey, if it does work who's to argue? I have had ovarian drilling. It is only a temporary measure and is generally used to assist in infertility. I can't say whether it worked for me because at the time of my drilling is when they discovered my pre-cancerous condition and I am on a whole lot more medication to counteract this, and am not allowed to get pregnant. Drilling worked for a friend of mine, who like you had very mild PCOS symptoms but had a very hard time conceiving. She had drilling, 2 months later was pregnant and her son has just turned 1. So, yes, it can work. They do drilling via laparascopic surgery, under a general anaesthetic or a spinal block. It is not something that should be taken lightly and also comes with it's risks.

Thanks for the book link - I will definitely check it out. This is another great resource: http://www.soulcysters.com/

Edited by hijabikel

^ Yup i've heard of drilling. I think the idea is that 10-20 tiny drills are made, and this helps with bringing about ovulation and pregnancy. Some good info here: http://www.asrm.org/Patients/FactSheets/OvarianDrilling.pdf

Thanks a lot for that link it was very helpful. That actually sounds like something i would rather do directly, rather than waste time taking pills and such to get pregnant when the time comes and i intend to, i just think its worth not going through all the hassle.

It sounds like you are fortunate enough to have a fairly mild case of PCOS, but I am sorry that this is something that you are dealing with, at whatever level.

Metformin is the diabetes medication you are thinking about. Have you been tested for insulin resistance? This is a good indicator as to whether Metformin will be useful for you. I would highly recommend that you see a reproductive endocrinologist before you start this medication. They will assess your exact situation and make sure that you are closely monitored. Like all medications, it comes with side effects. I was on Metformin for a time, however I had some quite adverse side effects and had to stop taking it. But, at least I gave it a shot.

Shay is right about ovarian drilling - they laser 10-20 holes into the ovaries. They are not sure why this works, but hey, if it does work who's to argue? I have had ovarian drilling. It is only a temporary measure and is generally used to assist in infertility. I can't say whether it worked for me because at the time of my drilling is when they discovered my pre-cancerous condition and I am on a whole lot more medication to counteract this, and am not allowed to get pregnant. Drilling worked for a friend of mine, who like you had very mild PCOS symptoms but had a very hard time conceiving. She had drilling, 2 months later was pregnant and her son has just turned 1. So, yes, it can work. They do drilling via laparascopic surgery, under a general anaesthetic or a spinal block. It is not something that should be taken lightly and also comes with it's risks.

Thanks for the book link - I will definitely check it out. This is another great resource: http://www.soulcysters.com/

Yes alhamdulillah it is mild compared to many cases i have seen (including yours, which has made me really sad for you) but it has caused me depression on and off when i think about it too much and worry.

And yes, Metformin, that's the name. I haven't had that specific test done, that is why i want to talk to my doctor and see if it would be good for me, i like the idea of that much better than birth control pills, but could you tell me what side affects you had when you were taking these drugs?

I am very interested in the ovarian drilling, but i am very very terrified of surgery no matter what it is for, even the most minor type that has a 99% success rate. Illogical fear i guess, but it bothers me to be in the hands of doctors that could mess up that one time and that's it for me, dead. I think i would rather go through emotional counseling to accept surgery and go through with the procedure than completely avoid it because of my fear, i like it that much.

I'll check out the link you provided now :)

• Advanced Member

Thanks a lot for that link it was very helpful. That actually sounds like something i would rather do directly, rather than waste time taking pills and such to get pregnant when the time comes and i intend to, i just think its worth not going through all the hassle.

Yes alhamdulillah it is mild compared to many cases i have seen (including yours, which has made me really sad for you) but it has caused me depression on and off when i think about it too much and worry.

And yes, Metformin, that's the name. I haven't had that specific test done, that is why i want to talk to my doctor and see if it would be good for me, i like the idea of that much better than birth control pills, but could you tell me what side affects you had when you were taking these drugs?

I am very interested in the ovarian drilling, but i am very very terrified of surgery no matter what it is for, even the most minor type that has a 99% success rate. Illogical fear i guess, but it bothers me to be in the hands of doctors that could mess up that one time and that's it for me, dead. I think i would rather go through emotional counseling to accept surgery and go through with the procedure than completely avoid it because of my fear, i like it that much.

I'll check out the link you provided now :)

The test for insulin resistance takes an hour or so, and your general practitioner can order it for you. They do a glucose tolerance test (or GTT). They take a fasting glucose blood test, then give you a glucose drink (mine tasted like liquid jelly beans - way too sweet!) and then wait a period of time and retest your blood to see how your body processed the glucose. I had a few side effects from the Metformin - one major one that surprised my endocrinologist was that I put on 10kg in 2 months, with constant tummy upsets - so it didn't make sense! I had major headaches and lots of dizziness. Have a look here; http://www.drugs.com/cdi/rosiglitazone-metformin.html Side effects aside, I agree, it does make more sense to fix the problem than mask it.

There is a risk with any surgery. I have had more than I can remember (I just did a quick scar count and got 12 - some of those have been re-used for additional surgery and some surgeries produced no scars!), so even though I still get nervous about it and all the things that could go wrong run through my head, well, I know that I have made a well informed decision, picked a surgeon who is comfortable doing the procedure and that is where my faith has to kick in and all I can do is leave it in Gods hands. Pray, help some poor people, and remember that you can't control everything!

And please don't feel sad for me. God does not burden us with more than we can handle.

Edited by hijabikel

• Advanced Member

I had a few side effects from the Metformin - one major one that surprised my endocrinologist was that I put on 10kg in 2 months, with constant tummy upsets - so it didn't make sense! I had major headaches and lots of dizziness. Have a look here; http://www.drugs.com/cdi/rosiglitazone-metformin.html Side effects aside, I agree, it does make more sense to fix the problem than mask it.

Asalam o Alaikum Hijabikel and all other sisters,

Hijabikel, were you ever referred to a dietitian? Also, could you share the adverse effects you experienced from taking Metformin? x

Wasalaam x

Salam Alaykum Pomegranate - hopefully my previous post answers your question about the adverse effects I had from Metformin.

Yes, I have seen a few dieticians. All of them have told me my diet is perfect and they can't really help me. The only thing I have found to really benefit, not with weight loss but with how I feel, is cutting out starchy foods (crisps, potatoes, pastas etc) and eating lots of legumes. BUT, PCOSers tend to crave those starchy foods, so it's not an easy one to go with!

Salam Alaykum Pomegranate - hopefully my previous post answers your question about the adverse effects I had from Metformin.

Yes, I have seen a few dieticians. All of them have told me my diet is perfect and they can't really help me. The only thing I have found to really benefit, not with weight loss but with how I feel, is cutting out starchy foods (crisps, potatoes, pastas etc) and eating lots of legumes. BUT, PCOSers tend to crave those starchy foods, so it's not an easy one to go with!

I DIE for pasta, some weeks i can eat it everyday of the week without getting sick of it. If i ever need to go on a diet that is helpful for me it it would probably be the hardest thing i've ever had to do!

• Advanced Member

I DIE for pasta, some weeks i can eat it everyday of the week without getting sick of it. If i ever need to go on a diet that is helpful for me it it would probably be the hardest thing i've ever had to do!

Potatoes are my weakness. I sympathise!

• 2 months later...
  • Site Administrators

http://www.soulcysters.com/weight_loss.html

Weight loss has been the major recommendation by physicians for women with PCOS. Lifestyle modifications including stress reduction, exercise, and group support, along with a decrease in total energy intake, have had positive results. A weight decrease of only 5% of total body weight is associated with decreased insulin levels, increased fertility, reduced hirsutism and acne, and lower free testosterone levels.

Women with PCOS can lower their risk of developing diabetes and heart disease by exercising and eating a healthy diet. However, some women with PCOS have trouble shedding their extra pounds. (source: Journal of the American Dietetic Association)

Sticking to a special diet is a very important aspect of PCOS care. Some women with PCOS find success by reducing their total intake of carbohydrates (cereals, breads, pastas) and choosing to eat different types of carbohydrates that are less processed (whole wheat, brown rice, beans). Replacing manufactured carbohydrate products with whole grains, fruits and vegetables can help to reduce your insulin response. The diet also should include enough protein to control the amount of sugar in the blood. (source: Hormone.org)

According to many studies, women with PCOS can improve their insulin resistance just with moderate activity. Even if you exercise and don't lose weight, you are still reaping very important health benefits. Exercise has been shown to improve use of insulin and can support dietary interventions to promote weight loss; it is important that the exercise program chosen is enjoyable for the PCOS woman.

http://www.obgyn.net/pcos/pcos.asp?page=/pcos/articles/pcos_and_diet_mckittrick

PCOS and DIET

by Martha McKittrick, RD, CDE, Registered Dietician,

Certified Diabetes Educator, OBGYN.net Editorial Advisor

PCOS is a metabolic disorder that affects 5 – 7.5% of all women. It is the number one cause of infertility and if left untreated, can increase risk of endometrial cancer. In addition, women with PCOS are at a greater risk for heart disease and diabetes. Until recently, diet was not thought of as an important adjunct in treatment. However, since the fairly recent discovery regarding the role insulin resistance plays many experts now believe that diet should be a part of the treatment plan. Although further research is needed, it is believed that diet can help reduce insulin resistance, which can not only help erratic menses, hirsutism and acne, but may decrease the risk of heart disease and diabetes as well. This article will discuss the role of diet in PCOS and give practical suggestions for meal planning.

Role of Insulin In PCOS

Exactly why and how PCOS develops is not quite clear, however most experts now agree that insulin plays a major role.

Do a little research before you slam genetics.

You wrongly understood the post. 'Genes' do play a role, there is no doubt about that, and never disagreed. However, it is completely overblown, and seems to be blamed for a lot diseases and sicknesses that can be avoided. Everyone has genes (obviously), and everyone has some weakness in their genes to various diseases, some more than others. The exploitation of those weaknesses comes when an individual has a bad diet (this includes eating non-halal food for instance, since we know the reason certain foods aren't supposed to be eaten includes adverse health effects, or, that an animal is slaughtered a certain way (i.e. all blood naturally drained), as blood has toxins which are not healthy for the human body). Smoking, obesity, lack of exercise, consuming the invisible chemical fertilizers and pesticides in our foods, pollution, fluoride in toothpaste, electric radiation etc, all play a role in weakening the body’s defences (immunity) which allows diseases such as PCOS to flourish.

Everyone speaks of the role genes in respect to diabetes and heart-disease, however to 'reduce' the risk of these diseases, it's almost unanimous that diet and exercise are the only chance a person has to prevent them. Why would doctors and health researchers recommend healthy dieting and exercise to prevent such diseases if they're 'genetic' and death from them is inevitable? One thing is clear, that with the current lifestyle humans are living today, the per-capita occurrences of these diseases today are compounded compared to what they were decades ago. Sorry to say, but 'i have bad genes' just doesn't cut it in 95%+ of disease cases today.