Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Making purchases during Muharram and Safar

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salaam,

does anybody know whether it is permissible to buy things new clothes during Muharram and Safar? I've been brought up to believe it is not permissble, but I am struggling to find any proof of this. Please can someone kindly shed some light on this? JZK :)

Salaam,

does anybody know whether it is permissible to buy things new clothes during Muharram and Safar? I've been brought up to believe it is not permissble, but I am struggling to find any proof of this. Please can someone kindly shed some light on this? JZK :)

Most things (in fact, as far as I can think of, all things) that people refrain from during Muharram and Safar are not haram but are personal preferences out of respect for Imam Husain (A).

• Advanced Member

Salam,

I have no idea why people assume refraining from certain activities in muharram is "respectful" to Imam Hussein- I think observing his character and attempting to purify ourselves and the message he saved for us is far more respectful all year around than refraining from a few things during muharram! A thought.

salam

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

Moharram is commemorated as if someone has died in the family.

Naturally it would be highly unusual for someone to purchase a new house, celebrate a birthday or go out shopping if a near and dear one has recently passed away (unless, off course if there is a dire necessity).

WS

• 2 years later...
  • Basic Members

Dear Brothers and sisters,

Just a food for thought; Can we even enjoy ourselves and make significant purchases in any other month other then Muharram and Safar, since our Imam said; Every day is Ashura, and Everyplace is Karbala; now considering this; you may debate on what pretext was it said, but for Imams and descendants of Imam Hussain; the reality is; that Every day is Ashura. Doesn't it implies on all Hussainis as well?

• Advanced Member

Dear Brothers and sisters,

Just a food for thought; Can we even enjoy ourselves and make significant purchases in any other month other then Muharram and Safar, since our Imam said; Every day is Ashura, and Everyplace is Karbala; now considering this; you may debate on what pretext was it said, but for Imams and descendants of Imam Hussain; the reality is; that Every day is Ashura. Doesn't it implies on all Hussainis as well?

Although i generally agree with you brother, i would kindly like to point out that none of our Imams ever said that.

Edited by diracdeltafunc

I take the combination of the two, and both are equally important to me:

Do not throw away one for the other. What "BintalHoda" wrote is important to keep this message alive jn your belief and jn your soul through actions. What "Abu_zayed" wrote should be the end result of all forms of AZADARI we do, be it majlis, matam, ziarat, or refraining from buying things in reverence.

BintalHoda: Most things (in fact, as far as I can think of, all things) that people refrain from during Muharram and Safar are not haram but are personal preferences out of respect for Imam Husain Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã.

Abu_zayed:- observing Imam's character and attempting to purify ourselves and the message he saved for us is far more respectful all year around than refraining from a few things during muharram!

• Basic Members

Salaam,

does anybody know whether it is permissible to buy things new clothes during Muharram and Safar? I've been brought up to believe it is not permissble, but I am struggling to find any proof of this. Please can someone kindly shed some light on this? JZK smile.gif

I think many posters above already covered this topic, and the rationale(s) behind, it quite well.

If something isn't necessary to buy at the moment, it's better to put off the purchase till after Muharram and Safar if possible (Personally, I'd wait till Eid-e-Zahra). However, you also have to be practical too. Also, what you feel is necessary or practical for you may be different that what is necessary or practical for someone else. Ultimately, you'll have to weigh this for yourself depending on your particular situation.

In the example of clothing, if I lost my winter hat, or my jacket got badly torn somehow, I would purchase a new one. In my case, with the severe winter, not having these items is a potential health issue.

If my cell phone breaks, and I don't have an old backup phone, I'd buy a cheap new phone to tide me over till after Safar. Once again, in my case, being without a cell phone is a potential safety issue - especially since I'll be traveling over 2 hours to go to the mosque a few times in the next few weeks.

Of course, If I could have anticipated these things before Muharram (i.e. if I knew my jacket or cell phone was already worn out pretty badly), it would have been better to take care of it ahead of time.

btw, i Just came across this since I'm planning to finalize a car on 7th safar (wiladat of Imam Musa-e-Kazim a.s) and pick it up after Chehlum is over. And just came in to see if any tradition or riwayah goes against it. As its more of a necessity then joy for me.

If its a necessity, and if I had absolutely no other option or temporary workaround (i.e. carpooling/public transit), I'd personally be okay even with buying it in Safar. I just bought a new car battery yesterday, since my old one was getting weak (as determined by a mechanic last week). I didn't want to take the chance of be stranded in the snow, especially since I'll be driving over two hours away for Chehlum.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

It seems to be a tradition, where out of respect you don't purchase anything new, and your don't celebrate as such. Out of respect of Imam Hussain (as) and the Ahul Bayt (as).

Best not to buy anything new, just wait. That's what most of my family does.

• Advanced Member

It has no need for proof. Every person has their own way of mourning. I personally refrain from purchasing items I do not need during the 2months 8days.

Finalised my car the day before Muharram.

One of the hadiths are we should cry over the tragedy like we have lost a dear one...maybe we should ask ourselves that if a dear one passed away would we do this or not?

• Advanced Member

Assalaam alaikum wr wb

We must all remember that it was the yazidi people who rejoiced after the shahadat of our Imam(a.s).They danced ,clapped hands ,laughed,joked and did buy new things with the money they got from the Yazidi caliphate.Then we must really ponder over it and think is it really really really acceptable for us Shia people to do the same that they did. :cry: .