Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

is making your eyebrows haram?

Rate this topic

zehrahiba

• Advanced Member

bismillah.gif

My Mom just last year asked me to send this same question to our marja, as she had seen a sunni program on tele ,where it had been mentioned it was haaram to make ones eyebrows. So i had sent the question to both Ayatullahs Sistani and Khameni, both of them gave the same verdict. It was ALLOWED, they had mentioned there were only a few unreliable narrations mentioning its prohibition. ...............SO happy plucking sistas....

• Advanced Member

Salam!

i just heard something totally awkward todaY!!...maybe its jst me who's not aware of things around...but i heard that doing your eyebrows is haram??????....

NOT HARAAM

Salam!

i just heard something totally awkward todaY!!...maybe its jst me who's not aware of things around...but i heard that doing your eyebrows is haram??????....

• Advanced Member

Pre-Islamic prostitutes used to pluck their eyebrows and arch them...

Wat do ya wanna say that whoever plucks her eye-brows,is a prostitute? How on earth did someone come-up with such a misapprehended idea?Its not haram at all to pluck them if you're not doing it with the purpose of attracting any-one towards ya.

• Advanced Member

If it is done with the intention of removing ugliness, and not with the intention of attracting males attention or done in a way where it is very eye catching then it is fine. I paraphrased the fatwas. :)

LOL this is such a cop out answer which everyone gives. You remove ugliness to look attractive...there's no inbetween! Doing your eyebrows should be fine man - everyone does it, and if you dont want to attract male attention, then you should be the same as everyone else.

• Advanced Member

Salam.

LOL this is such a cop out answer which everyone gives. You remove ugliness to look attractive...there's no inbetween! Doing your eyebrows should be fine man - everyone does it, and if you dont want to attract male attention, then you should be the same as everyone else.

Not all people remove ugliness to attract the opposite sex, some people do it to avoid all the degrading, humiliating stares they get from having an ugly feature. I can imagine that it must be really uncomfortable to be looked at like that. Making your eyebrows more suitable and natural to your face makes people notice you less. That's what some people want and that's the reason why they pluck their eyebrows.

Salam.

Not all people remove ugliness to attract the opposite sex, some people do it to avoid all the degrading, humiliating stares they get from having an ugly feature. I can imagine that it must be really uncomfortable to be looked at like that. Making your eyebrows more suitable and natural to your face makes people notice you less. That's what some people want and that's the reason why they pluck their eyebrows.

Exactly. A lot of people would do it just to boost their own self esteem. It's always nice to look in the mirror and feel good about yourself.

The other reply to your post was a very good explanation but i want to give you another one using a different example.

That is: to use deodorant.

People use deodorant to remove the ugly smell, in the process yes they now smell decent so you can say they were trying to make themselves more attractive, but the intention was not to make themselves attractive, but to neutralize themselves into not smelling bad, just smelling normal.

To add perfume however would be making yourself smell better.

Now for eyebrows, a girl that has huge bushy eyebrows and plucks them into a nice shape is like adding deodorant, but one that arches them and does god knows what with them to the point where they are very eye catching has added perfume.

That is the difference between removing ugliness and trying to attract.

Many sunnis believe that using deodorant isn't allowed either, going by the same reasoning you were using in reply to me. :)

Edited by 3ashiqat-Al-Batoul

^ if you feel like your eyebrows look decent enough that you look presentable with only trimmed eyebrows then that is very lucky for you, no pain to look nice, but for many eastern sisters that are naturally hairy, they also have huge eyebrows, and trimming them make them look even uglier, because they are just huge thick lines across their foreheads.

Helga anybody?

I don't understand what that has to do with the deodorant quote you chose though?

• Basic Members

Its okay but you should not do it to the extent that it should change your appearance by a lot. It should be what you only consider "necessary"... And necessary isn't changing how high the arch is or stuff like that... Its taking away the "excess'...

Do you get what i mean? :/

• Advanced Member

Its okay but you should not do it to the extent that it should change your appearance by a lot. It should be what you only consider "necessary"... And necessary isn't changing how high the arch is or stuff like that... Its taking away the "excess'...

Do you get what i mean? :/

Personally I find my eyebrows all together a bit excessive. Does that mean I have to stop waxing them?

• Advanced Member

Personally I find my eyebrows all together a bit excessive. Does that mean I have to stop waxing them?

LOL,no not at all.Ya didn't get wat she's referring to.She's basically telling the way to pluck Ur eye-brows.If you've too much hairy growth that it gives Ur eye-brows a bushy look so ya can pluck those excess hair.Don't trim them too short.Shape them according to Ur face.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

It is haram

“Allah has cursed women who tattoo their bodies, wear false hair, those who pluck their eyebrows, and those who artificially widen gaps between their teeth.”

because:

it is changing the creation of Allah swt.

and imitating the times of jahiliyah

it is changing the creation of Allah swt.

Couldn't you say the same of piercing the ears to wear earings, cutting the hair or dyeing it, and so on? Yet no one says those are haram.

and imitating the times of jahiliyah

That would be different. What if though the person was not doing it out of conscious imitation of jahiliyya, but simply out of personal preference and want of beautification?

• Advanced Member

Couldn't you say the same of piercing the ears to wear earings, cutting the hair or dyeing it, and so on? Yet no one says those are haram.

That would be different. What if though the person was not doing it out of conscious imitation of jahiliyya, but simply out of personal preference and want of beautification?

It is not me who has made it haram.

it is Allah swt.

if you have an issue with this, then your issue is with Him.

• Advanced Member

To add perfume however would be making yourself smell better.

Sistani: It is permissible for a woman to go out, wearing perfume even if non-mahram men can smell her perfume; in so doing, she should not aim to arouse or attract such men.

http://www.islam-laws.com/books/codeofpracticeforwest/48.htm

So according to him, applying perfume is okay too.

Edited by Whizbee

• Advanced Member

Sistani: It is permissible for a woman to go out, wearing perfume even if non-mahram men can smell her perfume; in so doing, she should not aim to arouse or attract such men.

http://www.islam-laws.com/books/codeofpracticeforwest/48.htm

So according to him, applying perfume is okay too.

“If a woman wears perfume and then passes by people who smelled her perfume, she is then considered an adulteress. And every eye is liable to commit adultery.”

• Advanced Member

Eyebrows, nail polish and makeup, among many other things, have been done to death on this forum.

Sister Strawberry answered this question here (hope it's okay to cut and paste... thanks Strawberry!)

Ayatollah Syed Sistani:

Q: What is the ruling for plucking of the eyebrows in general, and what is the ruling if it is just to clean, and is it obligatory for a woman after plucking to cover her plucked eyebrows before non-mahram men?

A: It is permissible and covering is not obligatory.

Q: Is it permissible for a woman who does not cover her face, to remove hair from her face and style her eyebrows and apply makeup that isnt obvious, and is marriage makruh from a women who uses makeup on her face, even though she adheres to the proper Islamic dress code?

A: It is not obligatory to cover the face merely for plucking and the decreasing of the brow hair, although it is for the use of makeup, and it is not makruh to marry a woman that uses makeup, although it is obligatory to do amr and nahi if there is a chance that it will have an effect, and as a precautionary measure, if it doesnt, the husband is obliged to prevent her from revealing her face.

Q:Your emminence has answered my question which was - Is it obligatory to wear face veil when a woman plucks her eyebrows? - Your answer was "in itself it is not haram", What is the meaning of that and can you elaborate?

A: The answer means that it is not obligatory, rather is it permissible for a woman after covering her body to uncover her face and hands if her intention is not to make others fall into forbidden glances.

Q:What is the ruling for eyebrow plucking for women and what is the veracity of the hadeeth, "May Allah curse the 'mutanammisat' (women who pluck or remove hair from their face)? and what is the ruling for the visiting of graves for women, and what is the veracity of the hadith, "May Allah curse those women who visit graves?".A: There is no harm in both, and the two narrations have weak sanad.

Q: What is the ruling for eyebrow plucking for both men and women?

A: It is Permissible