Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Iran: Ayatollah Saanei Slams Government Policies

Rate this topic

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reformist Shiite cleric Ayatollah Yousef Sanei says the Iranian establishment is trying to divert people's attention from the "poverty, unemployment and social discord," that plagues the country. He

This is one Ayatollah Iran could DEFINITELY DO WITH!

You've almost completely missed the point. I was referring to Pahlavi's delusional views and the resultant erroneous judgements which led to his fall. Of course he never had the kind of support that t

• Veteran Member

I watched few video clips of this guy discussing the post-election issues. He seems to fall for propaganda just like a kid, and believes to any report passes by anyone...and makes judgment based on those without knowing the real conditions of the situation.

• Veteran Member

Some lessons from the annals of history...

A few things to note:

- The Shah had near-unanimous opposition. We can debate about the percentages all day, but I think we can agree that the Islamic Republic is not nearly as universally despised as the Pahlavi regime was.

- The Iranian middle class has grown considerably since the revolution. Naturally, such a population is much more politically apathetic than a population of peasants and sharecroppers.

- The Shah was a puppet. Puppet governments are easier to overthrow than independent governments, because they are merely one branch of a central power source (in this case the United States).

Now... the middle point is important, because it appears that the Iranian middle class is in fact highly political. However, this is not their natural state. They do not live their politics. Their politics are not that important to them. If they are left alone to drink, party, dress like an idiot, or do whatever other thing they want to do, they would likely abandon political activity. You could not say this about the Pahlavi regime. The Iranian people were absolutely determined to topple his regime, and there was absolutely no willingness to compromise. Because of the change in Iran's social structure, the nature of the Iranian people has changed.

• Advanced Member

You've almost completely missed the point. I was referring to Pahlavi's delusional views and the resultant erroneous judgements which led to his fall.

And six more will be shot...but because they're betraying their country, not because they're against me!

Of course he never had the kind of support that the revolution enjoyed. However, the way things are now progressing in Iran it won't take long for the current set-up to lose public confidence either. The IRI is only shooting itself in the foot. It sees opposition to the system as an opposition to the state. The inability to recognize that can have some very bad consequences. The Iranian revolution and Bengladesh's secession from Pakistan are two poignant examples.

The Shah had near-unanimous opposition. We can debate about the percentages all day, but I think we can agree that the Islamic Republic is not nearly as universally despised as the Pahlavi regime was.

Near the end of his regime, yes. But not before. Even Ayatollah Khomeini did not oppose monarchy or the specific monarch in general. In Kashf ul Asrar (1943) he harshly criticized the policies of Reza Shah Pahlavi, but clarified that he wasn't opposed to monarch and reaffirmed his support for good monarchs. Even up until the mid to late 1960s Ayatollah Khomeini criticized the Shah's policies and sought to reform him rather than call for his overthrow.

The Iranian middle class has grown considerably since the revolution. Naturally, such a population is much more politically apathetic than a population of peasants and sharecroppers.

This statement is too general. The fact that the Iranian middle class has grown so considerably is the main problem for the IRI. The IRI continues to cater to the politics of the proletariate.

The Shah was a puppet. Puppet governments are easier to overthrow than independent governments, because they are merely one branch of a central power source (in this case the United States).

Not necessarily. The Egyptian (puppet) regime stands. The House of Saud (puppet) remains. Mosaddagh (populist) fell. Bhutto (populist) cratered. Zia (puppet) stayed in power until the exploding mangoes took him into the next world.

• Veteran Member

Near the end of his regime, yes. But not before. Even Ayatollah Khomeini did not oppose monarchy or the specific monarch in general. In Kashf ul Asrar (1943) he harshly criticized the policies of Reza Shah Pahlavi, but clarified that he wasn't opposed to monarch and reaffirmed his support for good monarchs. Even up until the mid to late 1960s Ayatollah Khomeini criticized the Shah's policies and sought to reform him rather than call for his overthrow.

The turning point was 15th of Khordad, 1342 (some time in 1963). That was when everyone turned on him. I don't believe we have reached that moment with respect to I.R.

This statement is too general. The fact that the Iranian middle class has grown so considerably is the main problem for the IRI. The IRI continues to cater to the politics of the proletariate.

Maybe so, but it was the 5-year economic plans which allowed the Iranian education system to advance. And it was this advance in the education system which brought a better quality of life to the countryside, and brought the middle class lifestyle to the small city and village areas. So even though a growing middle class could be trouble for I.R.I., it was the economic policies of the I.R.I. which created that middle class.

My personal opinion/prediction: political restrictions will not budge. Instead, personal restrictions will be eased in order to pacify the middle class (which constitutes the bulk of the opposition).

Not necessarily. The Egyptian (puppet) regime stands. The House of Saud (puppet) remains. Mosaddagh (populist) fell. Bhutto (populist) cratered. Zia (puppet) stayed in power until the exploding mangoes took him into the next world.

Maybe I am just being prejudiced, but I simply don't think Sunni Arabs have the propensity to revolt.

Actualy this type of open critisizim (right or wrong) by scholars is very good for I.R. The reality is that I.R isnt going any where. However any one who has lived in the country knows that it is riddled with all sorts of problems, corruption, rights abuses and so on. When people finaly start openly critisizing and questioning these problems it can lead to actual solutions. In the past no one would ever openly state things like this.

I dont agree with Saanei, but the fact that he (and also other scholars) are openly saying things is very good. It will actualy strengthen the government in the long run, and better the country. I.R is going through some big changes, and we are just seeing the "birth pangs" so to speak. This was the first election where they had live debates, and they had candidates bashing on each other and exposing corruption publicly.

We have to realize that the people in government positions are not beyond critisizim, that has been our problem for a very long time. InshaAllah things will now change for the better.

• Veteran Member

Actualy this type of open critisizim (right or wrong) by scholars is very good for I.R. The reality is that I.R isnt going any where. However any one who has lived in the country knows that it is riddled with all sorts of problems, corruption, rights abuses and so on. When people finaly start openly critisizing and questioning these problems it can lead to actual solutions. In the past no one would ever openly state things like this.

Criticism with the intention of correction and fixation is welcomed by anyone, but that is not the case with most oppositions in Iran at the moment. They are not upset in having corruption and they are not demanding a solution, indeed they are happy to see these wrong doings so they can have some excuses to attack and weaken the government and its religious leadership. I don't know if Saanei's intentionally or not, but as a popular cleric himself he can stand and fix things instead of sitting 24/7 listening to a few trouble makers, teaming up with some low lives against the government and inflaming things will not help.

For example before he claimed that prisoners were tortured and etc... why he never stepped in with other high ranking clerics to review torture and mistreatment of prisoners and find solutions for it? Instead he went to cameras and put the blames on some other people (probably rival clerics), calling all others as followers of satan and reciting some Hadith and verses of Quran.............. that is not how it works...

• Advanced Member

Criticism with the intention of correction and fixation is welcomed by anyone, but that is not the case with most oppositions in Iran at the moment. They are not upset in having corruption and they are not demanding a solution, indeed they are happy to see these wrong doings so they can have some excuses to attack and weaken the government and its religious leadership. I don't know if Saanei's intentionally or not, but as a popular cleric himself he can stand and fix things instead of sitting 24/7 listening to a few trouble makers, teaming up with some low lives against the government and inflaming things will not help.

For example before he claimed that prisoners were tortured and etc... why he never stepped in with other high ranking clerics to review torture and mistreatment of prisoners and find solutions for it? Instead he went to cameras and put the blames on some other people (probably rival clerics), calling all others as followers of satan and reciting some Hadith and verses of Quran.............. that is not how it works...

You have no idea whatsoever if he did or did not try to contact the relevant officials; it's evident you did not even try to find out because if you did, you would realize that he did speak to various officials regarding it and got nowhere. Just because the just and righteous people (not the politicized) respect him doesn't mean the ...will listen to him. What kind of ridiculous thing is this to say. If you had any idea of the real nature of the criticisms of the maraje regarding this, I hope you would not say these things, EDITED

Mod's Note: You need to be more polite.

Edited by Zareen
edited for brevity
  • Advanced Member

Ayatollah Saneei, just another one of Montazeri prodigy. Yet another Sheikh that ruined himself by jealousy and envy.

May Allah judge between you and Ayatollah Saanei on the Day of Resurrection.

I thought maraje were to be respected, but I suppose that's a code name for Khamenei here.

• Veteran Member

Ayatollah Saneei, just another one of Montazeri prodigy. Yet another Sheikh that ruined himself by jealousy and envy.

How often we are reminded that all maraje' should be respected which also means that they should not be disrespected. This is not only unethically unIslamic but against the site policy as well.

Abiding by your beliefs requires refraining from the impulse to talk yourself out of them when they become highly inconvenient. So please stop kidding yourself.

Edited by Marbles
  • Veteran Member

EDITED

why do you throw personal insults?...you are simply jealous and you can't see a strong Shia country promoting, because you belong to the . You can EDITED Shias together.

Mod's Note: Both of you need to calm down and be more civilized!

Edited by Zareen
edited for brevity
  • Veteran Member

Reformist Shiite cleric Ayatollah Yousef Sanei says the Iranian establishment is trying to divert people's attention from the "poverty, unemployment and social discord," that plagues the country.

Iran's socio-political atmosphere has been critical since the tenth presidential elections in June. The re-election of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has been contested with mass demonstrations by protesters who claim the elections were rigged and hence deny the legitimacy of Ahmadinejad's consequent government.

He added that post-election detainees are "barred from outside visitors" and are kept in "solitary confinement" and these are all evidence of torture in the prisons of the Islamic Republic.

Ayatollah Sanei condemned the government's propensity to "lie" about the situation and in conclusion called on people to continue their struggle against oppression. He maintained: "If we retreat, oppression will only increase."

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Why can't you guys have a more civilized dialogue?

Why do you guys keep pitting one Ayatullah against another?

They have learn to agree to disagree politely, why can't you guys?

786-92-110

Is "ayatul-lies" saanei polite or civilised when he declares his counterparts and goverment elected officials as evil doers, criminals that committed not forgivable sins...

Where did he learnt Akhlaq of Ahl ul bayt ? in a Zionists Synagogue ? By GOD ! a simplest Tijjani Alim in the deep Heart of African Rain Forest is 1000 times more polite and can teach good morality and behaviourial attitude to this kind of persian Arya mehr Safavi gourou taking their cue from Muntazeri.

istifta[@]saanei.org

Address: No. 4, 8th lane, Mohammad Montazeri Ave., Qom- Iran

Tel: (98)(251)7744767-7744009-7744010

Fax: (98)(251)7735080

All Rights Reserved.

( yeah another banning ahead ...) Go for it you Shiachat moderators...

Edited by mohalamine

786-92-110

Is "ayatul-lies" saanei polite or civilised when he declares his counterparts and goverment elected officials as evil doers, criminals that committed not forgivable sins...

Where did he learnt Akhlaq of Ahl ul bayt ? in a Zionists Synagogue ? By GOD ! a simplest Tijjani Alim in the deep Heart of African Rain Forest is 1000 times more polite and can teach good morality and behaviourial attitude to this persian Safavi gourou.

( yeah another banning ahead ...) Go for it you Shiachat moderators...

Not a banning, but welcome to mod preview :-)

Keeping this up so one, people realize there's a right way to criticize legitimately, and a wrong way. And two, that folks know we're actually serious about moderation and maintaining a decent and constructive atmosphere for the site.

• Veteran Member

You have no idea whatsoever if he did or did not try to contact the relevant officials; it's evident you did not even try to find out because if you did, you would realize that he did speak to various officials regarding it and got nowhere. Just because the just and righteous people (not the politicized) respect him doesn't mean the ...will listen to him. What kind of ridiculous thing is this to say. If you had any idea of the real nature of the criticisms of the maraje regarding this, I hope you would not say these things, EDITED

Mod's Note: You need to be more polite.

I know what I am saying and I know the intention behind your posts. Last week Rafsanjani gave a full speech calling for unity, he said, "Only and only unity is possible under the leadership of Ayatullah Khamenei". source He called on his nation to unite against powers' aggressions, but you never bother to post or mention anything like that...But, if Rafsanjani were to criticize some religious leaders within the government, the next minute he will be your hero and a respected Ayatollah...etc... It is clear, when you see only ONE side and always is blind to see the other side, discriminating, and attributing all negative behaviors to the party that you don't like, testifies your biased claim of respecting marjeh or Islamic principles. In Islam justice and truth always matter, but the opposite as you are doing is to discredit some groups all the time that you don't agree with and supporting some groups even if they were wrong unlike other posters.

May Allah judge between you and Ayatollah Saanei on the Day of Resurrection.

I thought maraje were to be respected, but I suppose that's a code name for Khamenei here.

Who said marjas aren't to be criticized? Or can't be judged by law and court? If i believe his actions aren't right, and that it shows signs of envy and frustration because he didn't get a certain position, or had a personal disagreement with someone within the government, I'm going to say it.

Remember that Abu bakr, Umar, and others who were enemies of Imam Ali, Imam Hassan, Imam Hussein, in the battles of siffin Karbala, were experts in religion, hafiz quran and live students of the prophet(p.b.u.h) himself.

What you know and what your title is, is worth less than dirt if you don't live up to it. When a so called marja steers civil unrest, he should not only be criticized, but also put to court. Be glad he didn't.

If i can't criticize Sanaai, then you can't criticize others that are experts in religion either.

• Advanced Member

Who said marjas aren't to be criticized? Or can't be judged by law and court? If i believe his actions aren't right, and that it shows signs of envy and frustration because he didn't get a certain position, or had a personal disagreement with someone within the government, I'm going to say it.

Remember that Abu bakr, Umar, and others who were enemies of Imam Ali, Imam Hassan, Imam Hussein, in the battles of siffin Karbala, were experts in religion, hafiz quran and live students of the prophet(p.b.u.h) himself.

What you know and what your title is, is worth less than dirt if you don't live up to it. When a so called marja steers civil unrest, he should not only be criticized, but also put to court. Be glad he didn't.

If i can't criticize Sanaai, then you can't criticize others that are experts in religion either.

That is far more than mere criticism.

Saanei saw what was done to those who seeked to peacefully demonstrate and the violence, insults and torture involved and he spoke out as per his Islamic duty and as a human being. That is what Imam Hossain and all Imams (as) did, to varying degrees, when they observed such wrongs.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually Saneei was Khomeini's protege - even called him his son - and appointed by him to the Guardian Council.

In His Name, the Most High

Salaams

While that may have an element of truth in it; it doesn't render him infallible or imune for failure. Mr Saanei has always - and this is well known and well accepted - has always been a little niave if not ignorant politically speaking and he is also considered to have "light ears" - meaning that he's guillible and easily influenced.

In this regard; the moment he went against the Islamic Leadership, the Wali Faqih, Imam Khamenei(HA) the moment he worked in a manner - knowingly or ignorantly is secondary - that assisted or endeared him to those who seek to harm the Islamic Government, then with respect; he ceased to have any credibility.

Yes, he's a learned man in jurisprudence; I'm not disputing his credentials academically; I'm saying that the man acted without wisdom and that he has zero credibility.

Remember Ubaydullah ibn Abbas was a close companion of Imam Hasan(A); but through his problems with his self (nafs) and other reasons; he succumed to the temptation of this world and entered the camp of Muawiyyah, betraying the Imam(A), and as a result became from those who are the losers in this world and the next. Saanei, Montazeri and others are no different in this regard. Sad, tragic even, but completely true and accurate.

With Salaams and Dua's

Shabbir

• Advanced Member

In this regard; the moment he went against the Islamic Leadership, the Wali Faqih, Imam Khamenei(HA) the moment he worked in a manner - knowingly or ignorantly is secondary - that assisted or endeared him to those who seek to harm the Islamic Government, then with respect; he ceased to have any credibility.

Yes, he's a learned man in jurisprudence; I'm not disputing his credentials academically; I'm saying that the man acted without wisdom and that he has zero credibility.

(salam)

What do you mean "went against the wali al faqih"? Do you think Sayyed Khamenei approves people like you speaking on behalf of him? You make the supreme leader of Iran sounds like a small minded individual who is hell-bent on revenge and petty politics.

• Advanced Member
What do you mean "went against the wali al faqih"? Do you think Sayyed Khamenei approves people like you speaking on behalf of him? You make the supreme leader of Iran sounds like a small minded individual who is hell-bent on revenge and petty politics.

How on earth did you read the latter, a description of Khamenei's individual personality, out of the former, such a simple statement of historicity regarding another individual ??! Please explain..

Take your bias glasses off..

Edited by The Persian Shah

(salam)

Salaams

With the utmost of respect sister; in these matters - matters related to Islamic Iran, Wilayat al-Faqih, etc - you have time and time again exposed your ignorance and niavety. My advice to you is very simple; if you don't have full understanding of a given situation; then realise there is no obligation on you to say your two cents worth.

Bottom line is simple my dear sister - like Ayatuallah Alamolhoda(HA) said at today's protests - this is a sitation of Hizbullah Against Hizbush-Shaytaan - just like Karbala was. It's binary. If you are with Wilayat al-Faqih - alhamdu lillah you are with Hizbullah - the Quranic Hizbullah - of which the guys in Leb are a shining example I hasten to add. If however you are not with Wilayat al-Faqih; then know that you are with Hizbush-Shaytaan - like Shimr ibn Dhiljawshan(LA), Ubaydullah ibn Ziyad(LA), Yazid(LA), Khawli(LA) and the rest of those enemies of Allah.

This is simple and very clear; and incidently; these are the words of the Friday Prayer Leader of Mashhad, Ayatullah Alamolhoda(HA) who gave a rousing session to millions today in Tehran, in support of Wilayat al-Faqih; and cursing those hypocrites who oppose Wilayat al-Faqih.

Here this is small snippet - perchance you'll learn something:

I trust you understand.

With Salaams and Dua's

Shabbir

Edited by shabbir.hassanally
  • Veteran Member

Salaams

While that may have an element of truth in it; it doesn't render him infallible or imune for failure. Mr Saanei has always - and this is well known and well accepted - has always been a little niave if not ignorant politically speaking and he is also considered to have "light ears" - meaning that he's guillible and easily influenced.

Remember Ubaydullah ibn Abbas was a close companion of Imam Hasan(A); but through his problems with his self (nafs) and other reasons; he succumed to the temptation of this world and entered the camp of Muawiyyah, betraying the Imam(A), and as a result became from those who are the losers in this world and the next. Saanei, Montazeri and others are no different in this regard. Sad, tragic even, but completely true and accurate.

With Salaams and Dua's

Shabbir

WS Shabbir,

I'm sorry but I don't believe that Khamenei or any other leader is immune from criticism. The corruption in the government is already well documented. No one who holds political office in IRI is infallible and they should expect scrutiny for that reason alone.

The behavior of the government in suppressing the voice of its people is eerily reminiscent of the despotic governments that our Imams (as) fought against and ironically, the previously overthrown Shah's regime. My friend, it was the likes of Umar and Yazeed (la) that attacked people who dared to criticize them. Can you cite me an example of the Prophet (saw) or Imam Ali (as) ever punishing someone that disagreed with them?

Personally, I believe Khamenei's poor handling of the election dispute coupled with attempts to repress the opposition is what is fanning the flames of unrest in Iran.

WS Shabbir,

I'm sorry but I don't believe that Khamenei or any other leader is immune from criticism. The corruption in the government is already well documented. No one who holds political office in IRI is infallible and they should expect scrutiny for that reason alone.

The behavior of the government in suppressing the voice of its people is eerily reminiscent of the despotic governments that our Imams (as) fought against and ironically, the previously overthrown Shah's regime. My friend, it was the likes of Umar and Yazeed (la) that attacked people who dared to criticize them. Can you cite me an example of the Prophet (saw) or Imam Ali (as) ever punishing someone that disagreed with them?

Personally, I believe Khamenei's poor handling of the election dispute coupled with attempts to repress the opposition is what is fanning the flames of unrest in Iran.

Salaams to those who accept righteous guidance;

"Renaissance_Man"; there is criticism; and then there is active opposition. There is a difference.

You, who seem to be brainwashed by the western, green and munafeq media, need to wake up and realise what's going on. Remember; that a lot of the cretins who insulted and were happy with the murder of my Master, Aba Abdillah al-Husayn(A), used to listen to the media machine of their time; and they were amused and happy with the acts of Yazid, may Allah curse him and those who support him - ignorantly or knowingly - eternally, they said that (naudhubillah) Husayn ibn Ali(A) is after worldly power; and other such horrendous things.

In our time; yes; granted Imam Khamenei(HA) is not an infallible in the same fashion as the Aimmah al-Athaar(A); but he is completely comitted to the path of the Aimmah(A), he has given everything for the sake of Allah; even having his right arm made shaheed.

Also; realise this; whether you - or anyone else - is against Wilayat al-Faqih or against Imam Khamenei(HA); doesn't change a thing. The Righteous Islamic Leadership; the Righteous Ulema know the truth; and the same way those who are against Wilayat al-Faqih and the Leader, Imam Khamenei(HA) will be amongst the losers in this world and the next; those who side with Wilayat al-Faqih and Imam Khamenei(HA), the Leader(HA) will be amongst those who attain true salvation.

As Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah(HA) said to a group of Islamic Students in Qum - and I was honoured to be amongst that group in the early 90's:

"If you see the entire world going into one valley; and you see Sayyed Ali Khamenei(HA) go into another valley - follow Sayyed Ali Khamenei(HA)"

See Shaykh Usama Abdul Ghani(HA) remind all of this statement of Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah(HA):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QQY6xLFi6o

You may also find the speech of Ayatullah Alamolhoda(HA) today (30 December 2009) in Tehran (as part of which can be found below) enlightening:

That is our line. You don't like it - we don't really care; we pity those who oppose us; because we know - and there is no doubt in this since it is Allah's promise - that The Party of Allah will surely be victorious. You just need to make sure you're with the Party of Allah.

With Salaams and Dua's to those who accept righteous guidance;

Shabbir

• Basic Members

WS Shabbir,

Asalaam Alaikum,

You seem to be repeating all the common misinformation.

Sayyid Khamenei has never said, nor does the constitution state, that he is above criticism. On the contrary, he openly welcomes criticism. You can read about a recent incident here.

The anti-Islamic countries refuse to recognize the positive aspects of the Wilayat-e-Faqih. Even though the article I linked clearly shows that Sayyid Khameini welcomes criticism, the editor, in his disbelieve, subtitles the article "Was it all a setup?" How can a person be so damn blind? The enemies of Islam continue to classify the institution of Wilayat-e-Faqih as a form of dictatorship, and hence, every incident gets interpreted as "the people against a dictator."

As far as corruption in government: Are you expecting the institution of Wilayat-e-Faqih to bring utopia? Even the people in the government of our beloved Prophet (sawa) and Imam Ali (as) were not free of corruption. You seem to be confusing the concept of a corrupt government employee with the concept of a corrupt institution of Wilayat-e-Faqih. As long as human beings have free will, there will be corruption.

Wa'Salaam

Edited by mohammad_ali
  • Advanced Member

Salaams

With Salaams and Dua's

Shabbir

Assalam o Alaikum

Thank you brother for remembering us this Incident of Ubaydullah Ibn Abbass, so that we could learn our lesson in best manner from it. It is enough for those who have open hearts to accept the truth. Insha-Allah.

Was Salam.

• Advanced Member

Salaams

With the utmost of respect sister; in these matters - matters related to Islamic Iran, Wilayat al-Faqih, etc - you have time and time again exposed your ignorance and niavety. My advice to you is very simple; if you don't have full understanding of a given situation; then realise there is no obligation on you to say your two cents worth.

Bottom line is simple my dear sister - like Ayatuallah Alamolhoda(HA) said at today's protests - this is a sitation of Hizbullah Against Hizbush-Shaytaan - just like Karbala was. It's binary. If you are with Wilayat al-Faqih - alhamdu lillah you are with Hizbullah - the Quranic Hizbullah - of which the guys in Leb are a shining example I hasten to add. If however you are not with Wilayat al-Faqih; then know that you are with Hizbush-Shaytaan - like Shimr ibn Dhiljawshan(LA), Ubaydullah ibn Ziyad(LA), Yazid(LA), Khawli(LA) and the rest of those enemies of Allah.

(salam)

Bro Shabbir,

You always quote people (Ayatullah) who support your position but dismiss people (Ayatullah Sanei, Ayatullah Montazeri) who do not support your position. That is how you choose to view politics.I don't. I think both sides should be heard even when they disagree.

Edited by Zareen
typo