In the Name of God بسم الله

Fatima Zahra (sa)

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(bismillah) (salam)

Did Fatima Zahra (sa) wear the niqab? I have heard a hadith from somewhere though saying only the round part of her face was shown, so did she just wear the hijab without niqab, or with it?

(wasalam)

I read the book "the Islamic Modest dress" by Ayatullah Murtaza Mutahhari and here's what I learnt;

Lesson Four: Is 'Looking’ Permissible For Men?

More authentic than this is a tradition of Jabir that appears in Kafi, in Wasa'il and in all of the reliable books on traditions which the ulama narrate. Jabir narrated that he went with the Prophet of God to enter the blessed Fatimah's house. The Holy Prophet had said that a person should seek permission to enter another's house, even if it belonged to one's mother and that the only exception is that one need not seek permission to enter one's wife's room. "When he arrived at her house, he did not enter but called out, 'Assalam alaykum ya ahl al-bayt'. She answered from inside the house. The Holy Prophet asked, 'Do you allow us to enter?' She said, Yes enter.' He asked, 'Should the person with mc enter?' She said, 'No. Then wait until I cover my head.' Then she said, 'Enter.' Again the Holy Prophet asked 'Should the person with me enter?' And she said, 'Yes.' Jabir says that when he entered he saw that her face was sallow colored. 'I became very sad when I realized it was because of lack of food. I said to myself, 'Look at how the caliph and a king's daughter is brought up and the daughter of Prophet of God!"' [7]

This shows that the Prophet's daughter neither covered her face nor her hands. Otherwise Jabir's look would have been forbidden.