Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
whoaretheshia

Maliki Fiqh, Jaafri School

Rate this topic

You are obviously talking fiqhi differences/similarities right? Because Aqeedah wise, they are quite different.

In terms of fiqh, there are similarities and there are differences (just like there are between all 4 Sunni schools and the Jaffari school.)

The most prominent similarity is that the majority Maliki consensus is that prayers are to be offered with arms open (as in the Jaffari school) as opposed to arms folded, the majority Sunni consensus.

In terms of fasting, the Malikis will open their fast earlier than Shias (i.e do not wait for it to become dark.)

There is plenty more but I don't have enough knowledge to go any further.

Edited by Hassan2jz

It is a pretty big topic, though one big difference in terms of juristic principles would be that Malikis consider their fiqh school to be based on the practice of the people of Madina during Malik's time (I would dispute this, but anyhow), while for us it is in following the teachings of the Prophet's Ahl al-Bayt (pbuh).

The most prominent similarity is that the majority Maliki consensus is that prayers are to be offered with arms open (as in the Jaffari school) as opposed to arms folded, the majority Sunni consensus.

Praying with open arms is also followed by the Ibadi, Zaydi and Ismaili schools.

Praying with open arms is also followed by the Ibadi, Zaydi and Ismaili schools.

Oh, I should have said Shia Islam in general (plus the Ibadis) as opposed to the Jaffari school.

(salam)

Like other Sunni madhahab, there are some areas of similarities and areas of difference with the Ja'fari school in each umbrella of rulings.

The fundamental difference is in methodology, as brother macisaac beat me to it. The Shi'ah believe that the 12 A'immah (as) are the guardians of the sunnah of the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh). The Imamah is a lutf (kindness) from Allah, as He has protected the Sunnah from corruption through it. Therefore, we derive our madhab from the ahadith of the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) and the 12 Imams (as). The Imam that had narrated the most amount of ahadith was Ja'far as-Sadiq (as) (hence the nickname 'Ja'fari'). So whether it's fiqh, hudud, tafsir, or anything else, we derive our view from their view.

Naturally, there will be differences in each area of study. Our fiqh is not identical, our salawat are not identical, our opinions on shar'iah and hudud are not identical, etc.

Are there any specific issues you were wondering about?

(salam)

We believe one must pray on earth, because the Messenger (pbuh) did so.

Hazrat Maimuna said: The Messenger of Allah used to pray on a Khumra (a palm leaf mat large enough to place one's face, while in prostration). Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 1.378

The Prophet declared that the best place for prostration was the earth, or upon something that grows from the earth. Kanz-ul-Ummal, Part 4., p. 113

Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq said: 'The prostration is allowed only on earth, or on what grows from the earth, except that which can be eaten or worn.' [Wasa'il al-Shia, vol.3, ch.1, p591, hadith#1]

As a perhaps interesting side-note, it is considered makruh in the maliki madhab to pray on other than what naturally comes from the earth. But, unlike us, they consider it to be not only where our forehead touches, but the whole area they pray on. As far as I am aware there are no narrations in either sunni or shia books that the Prophet prayed on anything other than earth.

As a perhaps interesting side-note, it is considered makruh in the maliki madhab to pray on other than what naturally comes from the earth. But, unlike us, they consider it to be not only where our forehead touches, but the whole area they pray on. As far as I am aware there are no narrations in either sunni or shia books that the Prophet prayed on anything other than earth.

Yeah quite interesting- this is from "the guiding helper to Maliki fiqh"

It is disliked to place one's face or palms (not knees, legs, or feet) while prostrating on something that is not

part of the earth or grown from the earth. It is better to prostrate on dirt, rocks, pebbles, grass, plants, leaves,

wood chips, reed mats, mats made from rough tree fibers, etc. (see figure 17-1). The exception to this rule is

the flooring of a masjid: It is not disliked to prostrate on carpets that are spread on the floor of a masjid.

However, prostrating on cloth (even if from one's garment) or carpets outside of masjids (such as at home) is

disliked.

It is my understanding that the 4 Imams position vis a vis arms position is this

Maliki open arms during wajib salaat. Closed arms are abominable in wajib salaat

Hanafi and Shafi folded or open arns both are acceptable. positioning on arms varies

Hanbal and Wahhabi folded arms only .

This is my understanding but am happy to bow to anyone with superior knowledge.

As has been ponted out Imam Malik laws of jurispudence has an extra layer. In case of disagreement or contradiction as is in the case of the arm positioning . The final arbitrar will be 'what the people of Medina do'

Imam Qasim a student and commentator of Imam Malik reports on that when he asked imam Malik about folding arms . Imam Malik said that he never observed the people of Medina folding their arms.

salaam

Malikis place their arms on the side as it was the practice of Median to do so. Hanafis believe that both are accepted for prayer. Shafis and Hanbalis believe that folding hands is the only way to pray. Many Shafis believe that Imam Malik prayed with hands on his sides because he was beaten and was injured as a result of.

The report cited regarding Imam Qasim is very very well-known.

I still pray with my arms folded, but the few times that I've prayed with my hands to the side, it's felt more comfortable.

I am Hanafi in fiqh, Maturidi in Aqeeda and Qadiri in Tasawuuf.

As for madhab of Ahlul Bayt I believe that it died out after 5th century of Islam. The rulers at the time did everything they can to destroy it. Therefore, the syeds chose to join one of schools which we have today. What we have today is partial beliefs of the Ahlul bayt. The only time we will be see the full madhab of Ahlul Bayt implemented is when Imam Mahdi (as) rules over us.

Also, I am not fully comfortable with any group of Muslims. We all have our extremes. From the Sunni side, I am told of leaning toward shiaism. From the shia side I am told that I not a momin until I curse the 3 calipahs or see them as the enemies of Ahlul Bayt. Seriously, anyone who doesn't have waliyah has no right to reach to such conclusions.

I am Hanafi in fiqh, Maturidi in Aqeeda and Qadiri in Tasawuuf.

As for madhab of Ahlul Bayt I believe that it died out after 5th century of Islam. The rulers at the time did everything they can to destroy it. Therefore, the syeds chose to join one of schools which we have today. What we have today is partial beliefs of the Ahlul bayt. The only time we will be see the full madhab of Ahlul Bayt implemented is when Imam Mahdi (as) rules over us.

Also, I am not fully comfortable with any group of Muslims. We all have our extremes. From the Sunni side, I am told of leaning toward shiaism. From the shia side I am told that I not a momin until I curse the 3 calipahs or see them as the enemies of Ahlul Bayt. Seriously, anyone who doesn't have waliyah has no right to reach to such conclusions.

Thanks for explaining.

Edited by avjar7

If the School of Ahlul Bayt died out after the fifth century of Islam, then what about the "School of Ahlul Bayt" or the Jafari school around today? What is the history of the Jafari school from a Shia and non-Shia perspective?

If the School of Ahlul Bayt died out after the fifth century of Islam, then what about the "School of Ahlul Bayt" or the Jafari school around today? What is the history of the Jafari school from a Shia and non-Shia perspective?

Interesting videos pertaining to the Non-Shia, mainstream Sunni view:

http://muslimvillage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54982

Sallamun Alaykum

there is a book comparing the 5 schools of fiqh in english it was i think around 700 pages and was quite extensive i can get u the name and author if u want provided u will get the book somehow and read it.

ws wr wb