Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
AliSaleh

why is smoking weed so bad?

Rate this topic

I didn't decide to post on the subject.

I decided to post on the stupidity of the statements claiming marijuana is good and makes us all happy so therefore it is halal. Can you imagine the prophet (pbuh) doing that, na'outhu bIllah? Of course not.

If you don't believe its an intoxicant, how will I prove it? Its impossible to prove it to you because your set on the idea. Marijuana makes you act in a way you wouldn't usually, therefore its an intoxicant.

That's why Allah makes the laws; because if it were up to mankind, everything would fall under the category of "it shouldn't be haram".

i agree with you

lol>>

Do those guys really look like they have a first class ticket to heaven??

Look at the guy at you bottom left, whats up with his eyes?

If that's not considered intoxicated, I don't get what that definition is then.

lol>>

they look like intoxicated losers, everyone knows when you smoke weed you get intoxicated. what you said makes since because mankind will make everthing halal because mankind does what he wants to do.

they look like intoxicated losers, everyone knows when you smoke weed you get intoxicated. what you said makes since because mankind will make everthing halal because mankind does what he wants to do.

lol :blush: exaaactlyyy!!

lol :blush: exaaactlyyy!!

Well at least you warned the people on this thread and defined what an intoxicant was lol.

Anything that makes you hallucinate is an intoxicant, therefore you're right.

They can take your advice, or choose to ignore it.

But I had a conversation with a professor of mine.

And the very fact that marijuana has an "effect" (change) not just an "affect" (influence), may indicate that severe consequences may take place to the frontal lobes.

Which is why movement may be affected and even influence executive functions such as: planning, cognitive flexibility, abstract thinking, rule acquisition, initiating appropriate actions and inhibiting inappropriate actions, and selecting relevant sensory information.

So for that reason, I myself, personally, wouldn't do it. But that's just me.

Edited by ShiaBen

I didn't decide to post on the subject.

I decided to post on the stupidity of the statements claiming marijuana is good and makes us all happy so therefore it is halal. Can you imagine the prophet (pbuh) doing that, na'outhu bIllah? Of course not.

If you don't believe its an intoxicant, how will I prove it? Its impossible to prove it to you because your set on the idea. Marijuana makes you act in a way you wouldn't usually, therefore its an intoxicant.

That's why Allah makes the laws; because if it were up to mankind, everything would fall under the category of "it shouldn't be haram".

I don't believe it isn't an intoxicant. In fact I don't believe in anything. I KNOW there's a God; not BELIEVE in God. It wouldn't make sense to believe in one. " claiming marijuana is good and makes us all happy so therefore it is halal." It's not that simple but if that's what you have absorbed out of everything I've said so far then ok...

On the subject of imagining the Prophet doing that. I can imagine that. But what keeps us from imagining that the Prophet smoking weed? Why would he? What truly made him happy was to be close to God. Why would he smoke weed when he takes so much joy out of the prayers. I can't imagine the Prophet playing video games, does that make them haram? No, it's just that he wouldn't do it if he could because he'd rather spend his time on things that aren't a waste of his time like praying. Therefore, what you're saying is like saying wasting time doing anything other than prayer and work is haram. People like to spend their time with entertainment; movies, plays, music (you can cross it out if you think it's haram), sports, etc. Even though it may be a waste of time, it feels good and it's a good way to cool down and take a break for a moment. The Prophet had reached such a high level that he could do without all those things that waste your time. This is what made him so great. No, I can't imagine the Prophet playing video games, solving a puzzle, smoking weed, watching a movie, etc. But does that make them haram? No. So don't bring up that topic of the Prophet smoking weed again; it makes no sense and is unnecessary.

lol>>

Suus you are very very uneducated.

The original video is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXsyRAPU8g0

and the people in the video are not Iraqi but they are from Cyprus. Also how do you know they aren't smoking a cigarette and pretending that it's weed just for fun? There are lots of videos of people who are high and act stupid on YouTube and it is so that people like you will watch them and be like "haha that's pretty funny how stupid they're acting". It is called an exaggeration in order to have comedy. The people in this video are dressed up and acting simply for your entertainment. This doesn't prove a single thing except that you are really unwise and are just embarrassing yourself further every time a word comes out of your mouth.

Edited by aryathehakkak

I don't believe it isn't an intoxicant. In fact I don't believe in anything. I KNOW there's a God; not BELIEVE in God. It wouldn't make sense to believe in one. " claiming marijuana is good and makes us all happy so therefore it is halal." It's not that simple but if that's what you have absorbed out of everything I've said so far then ok...

On the subject of imagining the Prophet doing that. I can imagine that. But what keeps us from imagining that the Prophet smoking weed? Why would he? What truly made him happy was to be close to God. Why would he smoke weed when he takes so much joy out of the prayers. I can't imagine the Prophet playing video games, does that make them haram? No, it's just that he wouldn't do it if he could because he'd rather spend his time on things that aren't a waste of his time like praying. Therefore, what you're saying is like saying wasting time doing anything other than prayer and work is haram. People like to spend their time with entertainment; movies, plays, music (you can cross it out if you think it's haram), sports, etc. Even though it may be a waste of time, it feels good and it's a good way to cool down and take a break for a moment. The Prophet had reached such a high level that he could do without all those things that waste your time. This is what made him so great. No, I can't imagine the Prophet playing video games, solving a puzzle, smoking weed, watching a movie, etc. But does that make them haram? No. So don't bring up that topic of the Prophet smoking weed again; it makes no sense and is unnecessary.

I don't think that was his point bro.

I think he was just concerned for people who smoke weed.

It is your personal right, just like it is your personal right to have premarital intercourse, drive after late hours, eat pork, or not study for school examinations.

These are all personal choices etc. be it haram or non-haram.

But I think what the guy above was suggesting is to entertain yourself or keep your mind busy by using a different task or activity (i.e. exercise, homework, chores, job, books, movies, video games, events) rather than smoke weed.

I don't think that was his point bro.

I think he was just concerned for people who smoke weed.

It is your personal right, just like it is your personal right to have premarital intercourse, drive after late hours, eat pork, or not study for school examinations.

These are all personal choices etc. be it haram or non-haram.

But I think what the guy above was suggesting is to entertain yourself or keep your mind busy by using a different task or activity (i.e. exercise, homework, chores, job, books, movies, video games, events) rather than smoke weed.

And if that is what they were insisting I have already said that smoking weed as one of those activities should be OK. Also I don't give a damn about personal rights at the moment. Of course I can go outside and kill someone if I want to but why the hell don't I? Many reasons, one of them being that I am a Muslim. Now I want to know why being a Muslim would mean that I shouldn't smoke marijuana.

And if that is what they were insisting I have already said that smoking weed as one of those activities should be OK. Also I don't give a damn about personal rights at the moment. Of course I can go outside and kill someone if I want to but why the hell don't I? Many reasons, one of them being that I am a Muslim. Now I want to know why being a Muslim would mean that I shouldn't smoke marijuana.

FYI,

I searched guys smoking pot on youtube and thats what I got. How does that make me uneducated?

See the problem is when uneducated people think they are so educated, and therefore claim everyone else is uneducated.

Anyways, I said it once and I'll say it again, I could care less if you smoked weed. Honestly, you're not related to me, you're not a child of mine, you're not a spouse, etc.. If you want to go to a strip club, by all means go for it. I could really care less. But don't claim something is halal, JUST so you can feel better doing it. Tell everyone: its not halal but this is how I enjoy myself.

One of the qualities of a Muslim is ANYTHING THAT Allah tells us to do, we do. AND ANYTHING Allah TELLS US TO REFRAIN FROM DOING, we refrain from doing. Simple.

Why do we shorten our prayers when we travel? I mean honestly are you thaaat tired that you need 10 days of shorter prayers? We don't know for sure, but we do it, because it has been decreed.

Anyways, this is what Sayed Sistani has to say for it: http://www.wilayah.com/tree/index.php?catid=38

Q: What is the ruling in the matter of using narcotics, such as hashish, opium, heroin, morphine, and marijuana, be it by way of eating, drinking, smoking, injecting or applying them anally? What is the view on selling, buying, and dealing in them in general, i.e. carrying, transporting, storing, or smuggling?

A: It is ḥarām to use narcotics in any way because it results in considerable adverse effects in terms of personal health and social cost. By the same token, it is ḥarām to deal in narcotics in any way, i.e. carrying, transporting, storing, selling, buying, etc.

>>

The scholars even decree it haram. Just like they decree adultery is haram, but many do it thinking "ill repent and Allah will forgive me".

Anyways, good luck in your drugged life.

Edited by suus

FYI,

I searched guys smoking pot on youtube and thats what I got. How does that make me uneducated?

See the problem is when uneducated people think they are so educated, and therefore claim everyone else is uneducated.

Anyways, I said it once and I'll say it again, I could care less if you smoked weed. Honestly, you're not related to me, you're not a child of mine, you're not a spouse, etc.. If you want to go to a strip club, by all means go for it. I could really care less. But don't claim something is halal, JUST so you can feel better doing it. Tell everyone: its not halal but this is how I enjoy myself.

One of the qualities of a Muslim is ANYTHING THAT Allah tells us to do, we do. AND ANYTHING Allah TELLS US TO REFRAIN FROM DOING, we refrain from doing. Simple.

Why do we shorten our prayers when we travel? I mean honestly are you thaaat tired that you need 10 days of shorter prayers? We don't know for sure, but we do it, because it has been decreed.

Anyways, this is what Sayed Sistani has to say for it: http://www.wilayah.com/tree/index.php?catid=38

Q: What is the ruling in the matter of using narcotics, such as hashish, opium, heroin, morphine, and marijuana, be it by way of eating, drinking, smoking, injecting or applying them anally? What is the view on selling, buying, and dealing in them in general, i.e. carrying, transporting, storing, or smuggling?

A: It is ḥarām to use narcotics in any way because it results in considerable adverse effects in terms of personal health and social cost. By the same token, it is ḥarām to deal in narcotics in any way, i.e. carrying, transporting, storing, selling, buying, etc.

>>

The scholars even decree it haram. Just like they decree adultery is haram, but many do it thinking "ill repent and Allah will forgive me".

Anyways, good luck in your drugged life.

"I searched guys smoking pot on youtube and thats what I got. How does that make me uneducated?

See the problem is when uneducated people think they are so educated, and therefore claim everyone else is uneducated."

-I only used the word uneducated because it was the politest thing I could think of. The right thing to say was stupid. Sorry on that part. People who are stupid will search something up on youtube and copy paste it into this forum thinking that they are making the point. I showed you how stupid that was in my last post so I don't think there is anything I need to cover there.

I found this on the link you sent to me:

Q: Considering that smoking cigarette and hookah is harmful, is it permissible to do so?

A: It depends on how much harmful it is. If it causes considerable harm to the body, it is not permissible.

Health wise, weed is proven to be less unhealthy than cigarettes and hookah. In fact, hookah is (in some ways) much more destructive than cigarettes yet almost everyone I know at my local mosque who follows Sistani has said that it's permissible and they do it socially. Which I think is complete b/s because if Sistani says we shouldn't hurt ourselves then cigarettes/hookah should be haram. They have NO benefits whatsoever. So health-wise, weed is more halal than tobacco and I don't even think it's comparable to tobacco+nicotine.

"One of the qualities of a Muslim is ANYTHING THAT Allah tells us to do, we do. AND ANYTHING Allah TELLS US TO REFRAIN FROM DOING, we refrain from doing. Simple."

And another quality is that we must strive to seek knowledge, "even if that means we have to travel to China." The Prophet did not want us to blindly follow his religion but actually see the light that illuminates from within it. When I think of weed being haram, I see darkness. Therefore I have a feeling that it may not belong in the religion and should be halal. If I am proven wrong then I will obviously see the light in it being haram but until then, I'll be patient.

"Why do we shorten our prayers when we travel? I mean honestly are you thaaat tired that you need 10 days of shorter prayers? We don't know for sure, but we do it, because it has been decreed."

That itself, is a different topic. But thanks for bringing it up, it was a good way to support the statement you made about the quality of Muslims. I'm not going to argue against this one since it'll just start another debate and draw us off topic but I will say this. I am hella tired when I'm travelling, especially if I'm only staying for 10 days. God is just being merciful by letting me spend more time with family (if I'm visiting family) or to see the beauties he's created (if I'm going to a really nice place).

"Q: What is the ruling in the matter of using narcotics, such as hashish, opium, heroin, morphine, and marijuana, be it by way of eating, drinking, smoking, injecting or applying them anally? What is the view on selling, buying, and dealing in them in general, i.e. carrying, transporting, storing, or smuggling?

A: It is ḥarām to use narcotics in any way because it results in considerable adverse effects in terms of personal health and social cost. By the same token, it is ḥarām to deal in narcotics in any way, i.e. carrying, transporting, storing, selling, buying, etc."

Again, the statement is too generalized and does not get into the depths of marijuana itself and whether it belongs on the list or not.

"Anyways, good luck in your drugged life."

Thanks, although I really don't believe in luck. Just to let you know, I've been smoking weed since grade 10 and I'm smoking more weed than I ever did in the past of my life and I'm in grade 12 now. Getting the best grades in my life. I'm taking the hardest courses and applying to some of the top universities in Canada in the Biochemistry field. Either you're right and I DO have good luck, or I'm just right, and you're just wrong.

"I searched guys smoking pot on youtube and thats what I got. How does that make me uneducated?

See the problem is when uneducated people think they are so educated, and therefore claim everyone else is uneducated."

-I only used the word uneducated because it was the politest thing I could think of. The right thing to say was stupid. Sorry on that part. People who are stupid will search something up on youtube and copy paste it into this forum thinking that they are making the point. I showed you how stupid that was in my last post so I don't think there is anything I need to cover there.

I found this on the link you sent to me:

Q: Considering that smoking cigarette and hookah is harmful, is it permissible to do so?

A: It depends on how much harmful it is. If it causes considerable harm to the body, it is not permissible.

Health wise, weed is proven to be less unhealthy than cigarettes and hookah. In fact, hookah is (in some ways) much more destructive than cigarettes yet almost everyone I know at my local mosque who follows Sistani has said that it's permissible and they do it socially. Which I think is complete b/s because if Sistani says we shouldn't hurt ourselves then cigarettes/hookah should be haram. They have NO benefits whatsoever. So health-wise, weed is more halal than tobacco and I don't even think it's comparable to tobacco+nicotine.

"One of the qualities of a Muslim is ANYTHING THAT Allah tells us to do, we do. AND ANYTHING Allah TELLS US TO REFRAIN FROM DOING, we refrain from doing. Simple."

And another quality is that we must strive to seek knowledge, "even if that means we have to travel to China." The Prophet did not want us to blindly follow his religion but actually see the light that illuminates from within it. When I think of weed being haram, I see darkness. Therefore I have a feeling that it may not belong in the religion and should be halal. If I am proven wrong then I will obviously see the light in it being haram but until then, I'll be patient.

"Why do we shorten our prayers when we travel? I mean honestly are you thaaat tired that you need 10 days of shorter prayers? We don't know for sure, but we do it, because it has been decreed."

That itself, is a different topic. But thanks for bringing it up, it was a good way to support the statement you made about the quality of Muslims. I'm not going to argue against this one since it'll just start another debate and draw us off topic but I will say this. I am hella tired when I'm travelling, especially if I'm only staying for 10 days. God is just being merciful by letting me spend more time with family (if I'm visiting family) or to see the beauties he's created (if I'm going to a really nice place).

"Q: What is the ruling in the matter of using narcotics, such as hashish, opium, heroin, morphine, and marijuana, be it by way of eating, drinking, smoking, injecting or applying them anally? What is the view on selling, buying, and dealing in them in general, i.e. carrying, transporting, storing, or smuggling?

A: It is ḥarām to use narcotics in any way because it results in considerable adverse effects in terms of personal health and social cost. By the same token, it is ḥarām to deal in narcotics in any way, i.e. carrying, transporting, storing, selling, buying, etc."

Again, the statement is too generalized and does not get into the depths of marijuana itself and whether it belongs on the list or not.

"Anyways, good luck in your drugged life."

Thanks, although I really don't believe in luck. Just to let you know, I've been smoking weed since grade 10 and I'm smoking more weed than I ever did in the past of my life and I'm in grade 12 now. Getting the best grades in my life. I'm taking the hardest courses and applying to some of the top universities in Canada in the Biochemistry field. Either you're right and I DO have good luck, or I'm just right, and you're just wrong.

Stupid is when people think they are better at giving laws than Allah swt.

FYI, on the link I sent you, go to transactions and incomes, and then the second last question is "Using narcotics". You'll find the q&a there.

LOL, the quran says that things are appeared to look good to you when in fact they are not.

It's obvious you;re too misled.

I'm in my last year of University, studying Mechanical Engineering, getting good grades and Alhamdulillah, doing it the halal way. Using the mind Allah gave me, I don't need to result to drugs from fear of doing badly.

Then again, you're still a child, more so in the way you think. You can use stupidity on me, but I won;t use that term on you. I call you a "jaahil", ignorant. Yeah, ignorant.

One can say: I'm stealing and because of that I am helping my family have whatever they want. I do have luck,

when in fact you may think you have luck, but you;re only misled. Thats what shaytan makes you think: you have good luck :)

the statement is not generalized. its to the point: using narcotics (including marijuana) is HARAM. thats exactly what it says.

anyways, thats 2 years of "good luck" you will never get back. May Allah have mercy on us all.

So very well said. Couldn't agree with you more 'aryathehakkak '.

It's the same hypocritical Muslims that say smoking weed is haram when they themselves smoke tobacco.

I'm also in year 12 [finishing now] and even though I have never smoked weed, MOST people around me did and were perfectly fine, especially when compared to the alcoholics. I've seen people getting high and they don't cause harm or become violent against others - rather they become relaxed, happy and 'high' :dry: Looking back now at the stressful year, I almost feel a sense of regret for not using weed to my advantage. So many friends were able to obtain high exam results simply because they had a stress reliving tool.

With alcohol, the negatives outweigh it's positives and I think with Marijuana it's the opposite.

I think if you're going to smoke weed it needs to be done in moderation and without abuse of the drug.

Peace out.

Edited by roah_fatima

One reason why the Quran doesn't go into detail with every single type of substance i.e. marijuana, tobacco, salvia divinorum, etc. etc.

Is because God knows what kinds of plants, artificial drugs, chemicals will come in the future.

That's why it can't go over each and every one.

This is why grand clerics like Sistani and others make their own decisions and you can either choose to take their advice or ignore it, this is a personal choice.

When it comes to Islam, nothing is strictly bound to the Quran. The Quran was great for its time, but as time passes by, high level opinions and jurisdictions, hadiths, and newer information are needed to help supplement the Quran.

So very well said. Couldn't agree with you more 'aryathehakkak '.

It's the same hypocritical Muslims that say smoking weed is haram when they themselves smoke tobacco.

I'm also in year 12 [finishing now] and even though I have never smoked weed, MOST people around me did and were perfectly fine, especially when compared to the alcoholics. I've seen people getting high and they don't cause harm or become violent against others - rather they become relaxed, happy and 'high' :dry: Looking back now at the stressful year, I almost feel a sense of regret for not using weed to my advantage. So many friends were able to obtain high exam results simply because they had a stress reliving tool.

With alcohol, the negatives outweigh it's positives and I think with Marijuana it's the opposite.

I think if you're going to smoke weed it needs to be done in moderation and without abuse of the drug.

Peace out.

"I think if you're going to smoke weed it needs to be done in moderation and without abuse of the drug. "

Well said.

One reason why the Quran doesn't go into detail with every single type of substance i.e. marijuana, tobacco, salvia divinorum, etc. etc.

Is because God knows what kinds of plants, artificial drugs, chemicals will come in the future.

That's why it can't go over each and every one.

This is why grand clerics like Sistani and others make their own decisions and you can either choose to take their advice or ignore it, this is a personal choice.

When it comes to Islam, nothing is strictly bound to the Quran. The Quran was great for its time, but as time passes by, high level opinions and jurisdictions, hadiths, and newer information are needed to help supplement the Quran.

"One reason why the Quran doesn't go into detail with every single type of substance i.e. marijuana, tobacco, salvia divinorum, etc. etc.

That's why it can't go over each and every one."

I understand. It's also because the holy book would have to be 2 times it's size if it tried to cover all the drugs/herbs/etc. that can be used by people. I don't expect God to cover all of these himself. I expect the hadiths, and even if the hadiths don't say so, the Ayatollahs. Marijuana must be covered MUCH more thoroughly when 1 in 4 people I meet smoke weed. I expect Ayatollah Sistani to have covered it thoroughly like he covers everything else. When we don't see any cons in the substance then it's hard to quit for no reason. Because he says so is a good reason but not good enough for my standards. My standards might be too high but I'm sorry if I need to know WHY I have to not do something, it just makes more sense to me to smoke it rather than quit.

"When it comes to Islam, nothing is strictly bound to the Quran. The Quran was great for its time, but as time passes by, high level opinions and jurisdictions, hadiths, and newer information are needed to help supplement the Quran."

On the other hand, the Qur'an is never enough. What would the Qur'an be without the Prophet and his messengers? It would be in ashes right when it was first published. The Qur'an is ALWAYS great for it's time however high level opinions and jurisdictions, hadiths, etc. are ALWAYS needed for it. People who don't want to become sheikhs don't have time to study everything in the Qur'an and become lawyers at the same time and therefore we need there to be people who dedicate their whole lives to studying the Qur'an or else the message will be lost.

This thread can't be serious.

Weed rots your freaking brain, people. The chief ingredient in weed is tetrahydrocannabinol (TCH), a mild form of ACID. Would you say that acid is halal?

Is this shiachat, or hippychat?

Come on, Muslims. You're better than that.

Yall are completely ruining my morale.

Weed rots your freaking brain, people. The chief ingredient in weed is tetrahydrocannabinol (TCH), a mild form of ACID. Would you say that acid is halal?

there are some people out their that you just dont waste your time with. this topic and other topic aswell.

Just some usual trolling and failed stealth stabs at our religion with, this time, an old troll on a new account masquerading as "muslim shia".

The surprising thing is that such threads are tolerated. Makes me want to start a thread called "why is eating pork so bad?" with my other secret account that I reserve for such momentous occasions.

Edited by Abu Dujana

Makes me want to start a thread called "why is eating pork so bad?" with my other secret account that I reserve for such momentous occasions.

LOOOOOL. OMG i LOVE this!!! :wub: loooool

Just some usual trolling and failed stealth stabs at our religion with, this time, an old troll on a new account masquerading as "muslim shia".

The surprising thing is that such threads are tolerated. Makes me want to start a thread called "why is eating pork so bad?" with my other secret account that I reserve for such momentous occasions.

I'm not here to take a 'stab' at Islam or anything like that. I'm giving my personal opinion on an important issue as a Muslim. You can choose not to have an input about it and that's your problem, but there is every reason to discuss these important issues. You probably have no idea how many Muslims smoke weed. Prophet Mohammed said, ‘Seeking knowledge is obligatory upon every Muslim.’

Keep a slightly more open mind and you may sound like less of an idiot.

I'm not here to take a 'stab' at Islam or anything like that. I'm giving my personal opinion on an important issue as a Muslim. You can choose not to have an input about it and that's your problem, but there is every reason to discuss these important issues. You probably have no idea how many Muslims smoke weed. Prophet Mohammed said, ‘Seeking knowledge is obligatory upon every Muslim.’

Just because some Muslims smoke weed doesn't mean that weed is accepted by Islam.

What if all Muslims suddenly decide to drink alcohol? Does that make alcohol consumption accepted by Islam?

And what good is a personal opinion not backed by the sources?

"Weed rots your freaking brain, people. The chief ingredient in weed is tetrahydrocannabinol (TCH), a mild form of ACID. Would you say that acid is halal?"

I'm taking AP Chemistry right now and I asked my teacher this question. He laughed at me. THC (not TCH) is made in the form of Carboxylic Acid. This Acid, when heated, releases the THC chemical and destroys the main ingredient of Carboxylic Acid. Acids cannot be smoked... that's why people don't smoke LSD. Also, if you had taken basic grade 11 level Chemistry you would know that acids end in the suffix "-ic". I'm not surprised that you brought up this point, however, as it was a widespread tool for government propaganda in the 60s.

"Is this shiachat, or hippychat?

Yall are completely ruining my morale."

This is a forum which has been created so that Shias can discuss their religious beliefs and in my case I am simply looking for the reason why weed is haram. It's just like asking why not wearing hijab is haram (except that one's much clearer). Either get with the program or stop reading on this topic.

Why eating pork is bad is obvious. You don't even need to look into Scientific evidence for that. Just seeing the pigs eat their own [Edited Out] should be enough to know why it's haram. Also, good job on resorting to calling me a troll. Honestly, you have no idea how pointless and insulting that statement was. "failed stabs at our religion"??? Some people actually think that weed being haram would make Islam look worse since you guys have come up with no good reasons why it should be. We should at least have a good reply to give to our non-Muslim friends when they ask us, "so why can't you smoke weed?" I'm not a troll and there isn't really anyway that I can prove it to you, neither do I need to. Just stay on topic and try to answer the question buddy.

I asked my teacher this question. He laughed at me.

Well that settles it. Your teacher laughed at you for asking this question, therefore weed must be halal.

I am guessing it was this same chemistry teacher that opened your mind to the benefits of weed?

THC (not TCH)

I think it was fairly obvious that that was a typing error. But if it makes you feel good to correct people, then congratulations.

is made in the form of Carboxylic Acid. This Acid, when heated, releases the THC chemical and destroys the main ingredient of Carboxylic Acid. Acids cannot be smoked... that's why people don't smoke LSD. Also, if you had taken basic grade 11 level Chemistry you would know that acids end in the suffix "-ic". I'm not surprised that you brought up this point, however, as it was a widespread tool for government propaganda in the 60s.

I failed chemistry. I don't need chemistry to know that weed is haraam. It doesn't pass the eye test. Its effects on people are well-documented.

This is a forum which has been created so that Shias can discuss their religious beliefs and in my case I am simply looking for the reason why weed is haram. It's just like asking why not wearing hijab is haram (except that one's much clearer). Either get with the program or stop reading on this topic.

Yes, issues can be discussed. It just discourages me that there are so many misguided folks on here. I guess I have higher expectations than I should.

Why eating pork is bad is obvious. You don't even need to look into Scientific evidence for that. Just seeing the pigs eat their own [Edited Out] should be enough to know why it's haram.

But you can't say the same about smoking weed?

If someone put a gun to my head and told me to either eat swine or smoke weed, I would eat the swine. Both are haraam, but weed causes one to lose control over his senses.

Be honest with yourself: how can a drug be halal?

Some people actually think that weed being haram would make Islam look worse since you guys have come up with no good reasons why it should be. We should at least have a good reply to give to our non-Muslim friends when they ask us, "so why can't you smoke weed?"

If they are so blind as to not be able to think of any detriments to smoking weed, they can think whatever the heck they want. It is not necessary that we appease them. There are a lot of Islamic laws that make no sense to them: halal meat, hijab, praying 5 times a day, fasting, etc... all of these practices/laws seem fanatical to them. Let them add weed to the list.

Stupid is when people think they are better at giving laws than Allah swt.

FYI, on the link I sent you, go to transactions and incomes, and then the second last question is "Using narcotics". You'll find the q&a there.

LOL, the quran says that things are appeared to look good to you when in fact they are not.

It's obvious you;re too misled.

I'm in my last year of University, studying Mechanical Engineering, getting good grades and Alhamdulillah, doing it the halal way. Using the mind Allah gave me, I don't need to result to drugs from fear of doing badly.

Then again, you're still a child, more so in the way you think. You can use stupidity on me, but I won;t use that term on you. I call you a "jaahil", ignorant. Yeah, ignorant.

One can say: I'm stealing and because of that I am helping my family have whatever they want. I do have luck,

when in fact you may think you have luck, but you;re only misled. Thats what shaytan makes you think: you have good luck :)

the statement is not generalized. its to the point: using narcotics (including marijuana) is HARAM. thats exactly what it says.

anyways, thats 2 years of "good luck" you will never get back. May Allah have mercy on us all.

"LOL, the quran says that things are appeared to look good to you when in fact they are not."

I could say the same thing to you. It looks to you like it's good to not smoke weed, when it's actually healthy for you! Except that's not the argument I'm making right now.

"I'm in my last year of University, studying Mechanical Engineering, getting good grades and Alhamdulillah, doing it the halal way. Using the mind Allah gave me, I don't need to result to drugs from fear of doing badly."

Congrats. You still haven't proven how smoking weed makes it the haram way but good for you. I don't fear that I'm going to do badly and I've always been confident about every choice I've made in my life so far so please don't assume that that's the reason why I smoke it. Also for everyone's information, I'm not a pothead! I only smoke weed socially and barely ever do it by myself.

"Then again, you're still a child, more so in the way you think. You can use stupidity on me, but I won;t use that term on you. I call you a "jaahil", ignorant. Yeah, ignorant."

Yeah I could just as easily call you ignorant and not pay attention to anything you say, except I choose to listen to your opinion even though I may think you're stupid. At least I didn't call you ignorant. Calling a person ignorant means that you disregard anything that they say which... OH WAIT! It makes you the ignorant one! Jeez, sorry bud, better luck next time!

Also, you're telling me that the only way I can grow out of this thought of weed being halal is by... growing out of it? Well if it's so damn bad for me like you say then why the heck wouldn't I just quit right now!? Oh yea, it's cause I'm ignorant right? If I were ignorant I wouldn't be on this forum in the first place brother so maybe you should stop trying to insult me and just get back on the topic of weed.

"One can say: I'm stealing and because of that I am helping my family have whatever they want. I do have luck,

when in fact you may think you have luck, but you;re only misled. Thats what shaytan makes you think: you have good luck :)"

The harm in stealing is obvious. You are hurting someone else by doing it. Also I don't know if I already told you this but I don't believe in good luck.

"the statement is not generalized. its to the point: using narcotics (including marijuana) is HARAM. thats exactly what it says."

You may be right. The statement may not be generalized, however, the idea behind it is definitely generalized. Some things, like murdering an innocent man, are obvious and just the statement is enough to state that it's haram just because they say so. Sometimes people need an in-depth explanation. There are millions of Muslims around the world who smoke weed erday so don't tell me that it's not an issue that should be touched upon by the scholars/marjas.

"LOL, the quran says that things are appeared to look good to you when in fact they are not."

I could say the same thing to you. It looks to you like it's good to not smoke weed, when it's actually healthy for you! Except that's not the argument I'm making right now.

"I'm in my last year of University, studying Mechanical Engineering, getting good grades and Alhamdulillah, doing it the halal way. Using the mind Allah gave me, I don't need to result to drugs from fear of doing badly."

Congrats. You still haven't proven how smoking weed makes it the haram way but good for you. I don't fear that I'm going to do badly and I've always been confident about every choice I've made in my life so far so please don't assume that that's the reason why I smoke it. Also for everyone's information, I'm not a pothead! I only smoke weed socially and barely ever do it by myself.

"Then again, you're still a child, more so in the way you think. You can use stupidity on me, but I won;t use that term on you. I call you a "jaahil", ignorant. Yeah, ignorant."

Yeah I could just as easily call you ignorant and not pay attention to anything you say, except I choose to listen to your opinion even though I may think you're stupid. At least I didn't call you ignorant. Calling a person ignorant means that you disregard anything that they say which... OH WAIT! It makes you the ignorant one! Jeez, sorry bud, better luck next time!

Also, you're telling me that the only way I can grow out of this thought of weed being halal is by... growing out of it? Well if it's so damn bad for me like you say then why the heck wouldn't I just quit right now!? Oh yea, it's cause I'm ignorant right? If I were ignorant I wouldn't be on this forum in the first place brother so maybe you should stop trying to insult me and just get back on the topic of weed.

"One can say: I'm stealing and because of that I am helping my family have whatever they want. I do have luck,

when in fact you may think you have luck, but you;re only misled. Thats what shaytan makes you think: you have good luck :)"

The harm in stealing is obvious. You are hurting someone else by doing it. Also I don't know if I already told you this but I don't believe in good luck.

"the statement is not generalized. its to the point: using narcotics (including marijuana) is HARAM. thats exactly what it says."

You may be right. The statement may not be generalized, however, the idea behind it is definitely generalized. Some things, like murdering an innocent man, are obvious and just the statement is enough to state that it's haram just because they say so. Sometimes people need an in-depth explanation. There are millions of Muslims around the world who smoke weed erday so don't tell me that it's not an issue that should be touched upon by the scholars/marjas.

http://drugabuse.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_cannabis

there are effects on health, brain, perception, etc.. If these are not candidates for "haram", than drinking a small glass of wine a day is perfectly normal. It doesn't make you drunk, and people actually believe its "good for you". But then again we worship Allah, not Shaytan. Don't fall for how things appear to be. Why was the apple Adam (as) ate wrong? Obviously apples have no health issues on our bodies, but Allah wants to be worshiped HIS way, not yours.

Like I said before, and I will say again, I could CARE less, I'm just doing my duty. And if the west thinks we are closed-minded for this, then be it. They also think we're closed minded for not accepting homosexuality. The ideas of the Westerns bear no significance to us, whatsoever.

There are also a million muslims who commit adultery, so that's really no proof of anything.

"It looks to you like it's good to not smoke weed, when it's actually healthy for you! Except that's not the argument I'm making right now."

LOL, okay.

Marijuana i would have to classify in the same category as cafenne, many of you are arguing that marijuana is haram because of its long term affects, but if you think about it even junk food like chips and sugar have long term affects, they can cause heart attack and damage to your teeth. are they haram? NO. Some people are saying that the "high" state completely takes you out of this world and you cant even think well enough to carry out a conversation with somebody but that is very untrue and I would like to argue this by saying that when my friends are high I can speak to them normally without even noticing that they are high. I know different people have different affects but that goes for all my friends (that smoke weed). An overdose of anything can cause harm to you in a very bad way just like drinking too much coffee is bad for you. Now say what you want, but I wouldn't consider marijuana haram. Marijuana just make you trip out that's all and that is why you act sort of loopy...

When I am high I am fully aware of all thing going on around me and I can still react to it in a normal way.

Tripping out means that things get your attention in sort of a more alarming way, so if you clapped your hands in the face of someone that is high they will be more alarmed and will react in a stronger way (the normal reaction but sort of more dramatic)

Edited by 223152

Any substance can be abused. I can eat 5 litres of ketchup until I overdose and die, does that mean it should be haram? No, it just means that I am irresponsible.

Weed is not an addictive drug at all. I would smoke it up to 5 times a day in the summer and right when school started I did it once a day (it helps me make notes for Biology, Geography, and anything else other than math). I do not abuse the drug and only have it in small concentrations because I am responsible and it isn't addictive at all. I even went on vacation for 1 month to Iran recently and didn't have a single puff of marijuana while I was there. Did I feel like [Edited Out]? Nope; I was fine.

Weed is not an intoxicant in the sense that it does not alter my judgement or physical movements. I can drive just fine when I'm high. All it is doing is releasing a chemical that is already found in my body; THC. Weed has been smoked since man discovered fire. It's been smoked by Albert Einstein, Michael Phelps, and all the founders of the USA. All I'm saying is that it's not going to do anything to ruin your future success or plans that you have. It's fine to smoke weed and in my opinion it should be halal. I follow Sistani and I smoke weed.

Oh and one last thing... it is NOT self-harm. It doesn't do any damage to the lungs or any other organs in the body.

I challenge anybody to start a debate with me on ANY aspects of marijuana smoking. I've done my research and I'm ready to take it outside...

+1

excellent post. Its not only me who thinks it helps with study. (Having said that, I must stress it doesnt have that effect on everybody....some people are luckier than others)

To be honest, I think cigarrettes are a lot worse for your health and a lot more addictive.

P.S. I admire your openess of smoking weed on a forum like this!

Marijuana i would have to classify in the same category as cafenne, many of you are arguing that marijuana is haram because of its long term affects, but if you think about it even junk food like chips and sugar have long term affects, they can cause heart attack and damage to your teeth. are they haram? NO. Some people are saying that the "high" state completely takes you out of this world and you cant even think well enough to carry out a conversation with somebody but that is very untrue and I would like to argue this by saying that when my friends are high I can speak to them normally without even noticing that they are high. I know different people have different affects but that goes for all my friends (that smoke weed). An overdose of anything can cause harm to you in a very bad way just like drinking too much coffee is bad for you. Now say what you want, but I wouldn't consider marijuana haram. Marijuana just make you trip out that's all and that is why you act sort of loopy...

When I am high I am fully aware of all thing going on around me and I can still react to it in a normal way.

Tripping out means that things get your attention in sort of a more alarming way, so if you clapped your hands in the face of someone that is high they will be more alarmed and will react in a stronger way (the normal reaction but sort of more dramatic)

LOL omg what has happened to this forum these days. I got banned for saying something like that a while ago. But yeah, I sort of disagree with what you define as a "high state".

I have a cousin who worked in Iran. They did tests on marijuana, tobacco, and many other substances in the lab.

She told me personally, that the bacteria and chemicals in weed are just as dirty as the toilet tiles people walk on.

When she told me that I was greatly disgusted.

All I can tell you is, anything that changes the functions or chemicals of the frontal cortex isn't something necessarily safe.

Someone that may be "high" on marijuana, LSD, and other hallucinogens, may create trouble if they are in a particular social setting like driving a car.

This is why you can get a DUI while smoking marijuana because of its effect as a hallucinogen on the frontal cortex (manipulates the executive functions and movement).

Another thing, marijuana causes lung irritation and can possibly lead to lung cancer because of the possible carcinogens available in the smoke.

But ultimately in the end it is up to the smoker to realize what he/she is doing. Be it marijuana or tobacco, it is up to you

I'm not sure if it is physically more dangerous than tobacco. Tobacco damages you physically more than it does psychologically, with marijuana I would say it has more psychological harm than physical harm. (hallucinations).

Just because some Muslims smoke weed doesn't mean that weed is accepted by Islam.

What if all Muslims suddenly decide to drink alcohol? Does that make alcohol consumption accepted by Islam?

And what good is a personal opinion not backed by the sources?

Holy poop man. I didn't say it was accepted by Islam [in that comment]. Why are you trying to put words in my mouth? I said that it is a growing issue in society that affects many, many Muslims so it should definitely be discussed in forums!

:dry:

Edited by roah_fatima

Holy poop man. I didn't say it was accepted by Islam. Why are you trying to put words in my mouth? I said that it is a growing issue in society that affects many, many Muslims so it should definitely be discussed in forums!

:dry:

The way you made it sound like was that it was totally accepted and that even discussing about it is okay.

But what Baradar implied was, why should there be discussion about something that is haram, when you know it is haram??

So should there be discussions about pork, alcohol, anything of this nature?? BTW there are plenty of Muslims that drink as well, and I'm not generalizing either.

The way you made it sound like was that it was totally accepted and that even discussing about it is okay.

But what Baradar implied was, why should there be discussion about something that is haram, when you know it is haram??

So should there be discussions about pork, alcohol, anything of this nature?? BTW there are plenty of Muslims that drink as well, and I'm not generalizing either.

Yes, discussing it is okay. It's always good to see things from other people's perspectives. And the reason I am discussing this topic is because I DON'T know if it is haram. I simply don't understand why [if it is] and that's why I shared my input. Smoking tobacco is so much more detrimental to humans and we discuss it so openly, yet for some reason when it comes to weed it's a 'no no' topic. People continue smoking it because there is no proper explanation why it is [again, if it is] indeed haram.

If you wanted to start a discussion about pork or alcohol then by all means go ahead. Just because you know it's haram it doesn't mean others don't have differing opinions. Provide your evidence and prove to them it is haram and then maybe they wouldn't have to ponder about the issue. Anything can be confusing at times and you lose nothing asking questions, rather you learn a thing or two.

Instead of commenting on whether or not we should talk about something, provide evidence and support your arguments.

Edited by roah_fatima

Yes, discussing it is okay. It's always good to see things from other people's perspectives. And the reason I am discussing this topic is because I DON'T know if it is haram. I simply don't understand why [if it is] and that's why I shared my input. Smoking tobacco is so much more detrimental to humans and we discuss it so openly, yet for some reason when it comes to weed it's a 'no no' topic. People continue smoking it because there is no proper explanation why it is [again, if it is] indeed haram.

If you wanted to start a discussion about pork or alcohol then by all means go ahead. Just because you know it's haram it doesn't mean others don't have differing opinions. Provide your evidence and prove to them it is haram and then maybe they wouldn't have to ponder about the issue. Anything can be confusing at times and you lose nothing asking questions, rather you learn a thing or two.

Instead of commenting on whether or not we should talk about something, provide evidence and support your arguments.

I already proved evidence in my posts above. I showed how marijuana "affects" (influences) or more like can possibly even "effect" (change completely) the way the frontal cortex works (executive functions and movement) and how this can lead to dangerous events or situations (such as driving under the influence of marijuana and hitting cars or people because your distance perception is off by a a certain level). It causes short term memory loss in some people and that can be detrimental in numerous amounts of ways.

It has carcinogens and probably a certain level of tar, both are cancerous for those that don't know, and may lead to lung cancer or some other kinds of cancer.

With that said, tobacco, marijuana, alcohol, and any other substance that can have dangerous effects are haram.

Just because it is not in the Quran, doesn't mean it is not haram.

Edited by ShiaBen