Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
AliSaleh

why is smoking weed so bad?

Rate this topic

The thread is Obvious Smoking weed is Haram. but where do we draw the line because theres things which are much more harmful and we dont consider them haram. Ie Processed foods, Smoking tabacco, Caffiene, Testosterone supplements, Artificial Sugar ( i watched a doc on it and its pretty scary what it does to your brain)

The fiqhi stance is actually quite simple: that which causes considerable harm to your body is haram. It's up to each person to determine what harms them. Smoking has been proven to cause cancer and kill people so it's haram. Weed is an intoxicant so whether or not it harms you is moot. Caffeine is OK is small doses, but drinking a can of red bull every day is haram if you know that it's going to harm you. Same goes for sugar.

It's harmless and God doesn't have a problem with anyone smoking it. Because he's not a human.

Your logic is bizarre. Do you also believe that God has no problem with murder, because He's not a human?

Your logic is bizarre. Do you also believe that God has no problem with murder, because He's not a human?

LOL

hate how people say its natural from the earth. So is Opium

Most people who do opium never get addicted. Cannabis is safer than water, lol. God smiles every time someone smokes it.

You didn't answer my question, so you were wrong?

No one has ever died from smoking weed. You can overdose on water, but you can't overdose on marijuana. It's harmless and God doesn't have a problem with anyone smoking it. Because he's not a human.

Friend's uncle died of hashish smoking. He never smoked tobacco either, nor drank.

However, if you were to eat marijuana, I don't think it would have any physical effects leading to death, nor cancer.

Just influences on the frontal lobe, that is all.

From an Islamic point of view (perspective), the concern isn't so much whether or not, the substance is cancerous or deadly,

the concern is the influence it has on the individual.

So if it can put the individual in a drugged up state, where they may hallucinate and not have that natural conscious awareness they usually have (given the frontal lobe is impaired), there is a grave concern, that it may lead to dangerous decision making (e.g. falling off a flight of stairs and paralyzing your body, car accident, social relationship problems, issues at the work place etc.)

Edited by ShiaBen

I haven't read thorugh this whole thread, but from my experience, I have trouble believing marijuana is haram.

On the effects:

In the times I've used it, I've hardly felt anything except maybe finding a few things more funny. Honestly most of the effects that I see in the media I think are exaggerations of heavy usage. One thing I have noticed is that environment and comfort have a lot to do with whether I have a good high or not. When I'm around people who I know may have a problem with what I'm doing or don't trust, I get panicky and paranoid and the high becomes a bit painful.

I have a real problem with multi tasking but not getting anything done. When I'm high, I actually become a bit more attentive to whatever task I try. I find it easier to cancel out anything around me that would distract me too. But at the same time, I can switch between tasks. My problem is that when I'm not high, I'll set out to do something and then I start to daydream or think about what else I'm gonna do after I'm finished, but I don't finish what I'm doing because I keep getting distracted. When I'm high, I find it easier to organize my schedule and easier to focus on that task for the duration of time I have decided upon all while just having a pleasant physical feeling.

I've also noticed when I'm high I'm not at all like some other people I'm with who smoke the same stuff. I've smoked with people and they turn all loppy, laughing at everything, don't shut up, and are loud. Whereas my body just "feels good," nothing else. I think some users play it up because that's what they've been told cannabis does to you. I think most of that is an act OR I notice they're drinking beer or vodka too so they're under the effects of both. I myself have only felt tingly sensations in my body, an increased ability to focus on one task at a time without distraction, and just finding one or two things funnier than usual, but the latter is no where near what some people even amongst users make it out to be. Eve the whole "munchies" thing. I can easily fast from food even when smoking weed. I never feel compelled to eat if I don't want to while high. This is another myth in my opinion that comes from the fact that the drug heightens certain senses and just makes food taste better. :rolleyes:

Damage:

Anything in this world can cause damage to our bodies when handled improperly including many halal activities and substances. Sexuality in my opinion causes a lot of damage to society. Some people are so addicted to sex it destroys their lives. Many people feel unable to control themselves and experience withdrawals in a manner similar to drug addicts. Food, even halal food, can damage us when eaten in excess. Water too. So the idea that something can cause physical damage when done excessively or irresponsibly is hardly a good argument against cannabis usage as there are so many things we do that are for sure permissible that damage us when done excessively.

Just for the record, I have a friend whose lung collapsed while smoking weed. He is unable to smoke it anymore without serious risk because marijuana smoke is thick, more so than tobacco smoke. That's why he mostly eats it now. Also, he's underweight so his skin is tighter around his body than it should be and also he had asthma when that incident occurred, so it's hardly a result of the weed itself in my opinion. He probably shouldn't have been smoking anything to begin with.

Eating it doesn't really cause anything bad from my experience. I mean your stomach can feel a little weird, but that's about it. If you eat too much, the most you'll feel is a tummy ache.

It's important to keep in mind that anything can cause unnecessary damage when done excessively or improperly whether it be water, food, sex, or cannabis. If I eat too much ice cream, I can hurt myself, probably even severely (diabetes) but as far as I know ice cream is not haram. The notion that cannabis can never add to a person's problems medically or psychologically is not a wise statement but the idea that the few moments in which cannabis aided in the harm caused to a person's body should be reason enough to outlaw or condemn it is not wise in my opinion either. Every substance can cause unnecessary damage, halal or haram. The idea that something can cause harm therefore it is haram is not a good argument as we are bound by two universal laws: No pain, no gain and Irresponsibility causes unnecessary damage We should approach cannabis with these in mind.

Edited by Saintly_Jinn23

Marijuana is Distinguished From most other currently illicit drugs by the locations of its brain-receptor sites (cb1/cb2 cannabinoid receptors) for two predominant reasons:

(1) The lack of receptors in the medulla significantly reduces the possibility of accidental, or even deliberate, death from THC,

(2) the lack of receptors in the mesocorticolimbic pathway significantly reduces the risks of addiction and serious physical dependence.

many of those claiming that cannabis is haram and that it makes you laugh clearly have never tried it. they only think it makes you laugh because thats what everyone else says.

at the end of a long stressful day a spliff helps you gather your thoughts.

if you smoke and get paranoid then STOP!

if you smoke and want to commit adultery then STOP

if you smoke and cant control yourself then STOP

if you smoke because it help you then it might be haram but god will judge you as you are not harming anyone

you see where i'm going?

some brothers here say marijuwan is haram but then they go play around with girls emotions. whats worst, hurting a girl or just smoking and meditating

many of those claiming that cannabis is haram and that it makes you laugh clearly have never tried it. they only think it makes you laugh because thats what everyone else says.

at the end of a long stressful day a spliff helps you gather your thoughts.

if you smoke and get paranoid then STOP!

if you smoke and want to commit adultery then STOP

if you smoke and cant control yourself then STOP

if you smoke because it help you then it might be haram but god will judge you as you are not harming anyone

you see where i'm going?

some brothers here say marijuwan is haram but then they go play around with girls emotions. whats worst, hurting a girl or just smoking and meditating

Maybe for some brothers it also makes them go play around with other brothers' emotions while acting like a girl? And I must say, those are very good, clutter-free and very readable, neat guidelines with the "STOP" warnings there. With a bright, intellectual mind like yours thats working I see in that post of yours, I feel that you should have been studying at Qum, and I bet you would become a great maraja3 with more followers than the late Ayt. Fadhlallah.

I have smoked for 5 years straight. I stopped since turning to religion. Marijuana caused a major loss in my memory and I forget things extremely easily. I also have schizophrenia now and my doctor said it was due to smoking marijuana. I always used to think that it has no negative effects but apparently it does and my life got ruined because of it.

Guest Nargela

Why do people say things they don't even know for a fact.. don't try to say its haram by saying things that arnt true.

ok so i have been smoking cannabis for four years. now bare with me, i am not a junkie or anything. you people are so harsh. i will say cannabis is makruh if not halal. claiming it is halal would cause a riot by many shia brothers who are frankly just ignorant about the plant. if you can justify smoking shisha and drinking caffiene then smoking cannabis should not be an issue. if i take 15 energy shots i will most likely die, if i smoke shisha for hours ill lose my voice and cough up a lung. oh and cancer too. with canabis you can never over dose because guess what? its not dangerous

cannabis can be consumed in foods, it can also be rubbed on ur skin wen put in oil. very therapeutic and

ok so i have been smoking cannabis for four years. now bare with me, i am not a junkie or anything. you people are so harsh. i will say cannabis is makruh if not halal. claiming it is halal would cause a riot by many shia brothers who are frankly just ignorant about the plant. if you can justify smoking shisha and drinking caffiene then smoking cannabis should not be an issue. if i take 15 energy shots i will most likely die, if i smoke shisha for hours ill lose my voice and cough up a lung. oh and cancer too. with canabis you can never over dose because guess what? its not dangerous

cannabis can be consumed in foods, it can also be rubbed on ur skin wen put in oil. very therapeutic and

Smoking marijuana alters your thinking, I believe this is what makes it haram unless you are using it to cope with cancer or something.

I have smoked for 5 years straight. I stopped since turning to religion. Marijuana caused a major loss in my memory and I forget things extremely easily. I also have schizophrenia now and my doctor said it was due to smoking marijuana. I always used to think that it has no negative effects but apparently it does and my life got ruined because of it.

Yeah i know some people that have done it and now regret it because of their memory loss.

to be honest i feel more connected with the story of karbala it is easier to be open

It even makes you connect better in salaah i find. Shame Allah wont accept a meaningful prayer over a robotic one.