Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
AliSaleh

why is smoking weed so bad?

Rate this topic

Salam

I believe that you are addressing the matter wrong, being all self righteous and aggressive using fault finding ways to point the finger at the brother who smokes , wont really get him to stop :lol: prolly get him to smoke more .

to the point at hand , i believe most people nowadays are completely confused about the legality and morality of these so called drugs. Just because weed is illegal some will say its worse than alcohol . which is actually not true [ http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article6899534.ece]

.... alcohol destroys the home , causes violence and has irreversible effects on your liver, millions spent a year to repair damage caused by alcoholics + many more. But just because its legal , some accept it . Only reason weed is illegal , is not so you dont smoke , or cause its harmful , its because the its a commodity that cannot be controlled , and it poses a massive threat to the already existing industries in terms , of timber , cottons etc . .. do some research , those who lobbied against the legality of HEMP [ which is the basic source of weed with virtually no thc ] are those who own major corporations in the timber and cotton industry . you can make rope , paper , clothes , different fibers and other products so it would replace wood etc [ there are many youtube vids , and articles online explaining this in detail] .. this is the same with the people who owned companies who produced , legal opium and heroin as medicine in the 60s , then lobbied against their own products to make it illegal because there was too much competition and the profit margin was going down , therefore , they made their own product illegal and enjoyed watching its price sky rocket over 100% over night..... its all about profit just like everything else ... hemp is an uncontrollable natural resource , you can make an infinite supply from just one seed , and thats the issue , there can be no monopoly , other wise cannabis would be legal...

also all the drugs u get from your doctor are also mind altering , and well you may say its haalal coz the doctor gave it , well there are doctors prescribing weed as well , where do we draw the line ? prescription drug abuse is at a rise like never before , which is because they are the same as -illegal drugs - mainly using , opiates , or synthetically made opiates , and other chemicals ...

ps - i ve never had a mind altering affect from smoking shisha/hookah , but i have seen people who are terribly disoriented from smoking it , and say they have a really heavy head , feel dizzy n have to lay down for a while ... so it would be haram for them , and not for me ? what do you think

Salam

I believe that you are addressing the matter wrong, being all self righteous and aggressive using fault finding ways to point the finger at the brother who smokes , wont really get him to stop :lol: prolly get him to smoke more .

to the point at hand , i believe most people nowadays are completely confused about the legality and morality of these so called drugs. Just because weed is illegal some will say its worse than alcohol . which is actually not true [ "]http://www.timesonli...cle6899534.ece]

.... alcohol destroys the home , causes violence and has irreversible effects on your liver, millions spent a year to repair damage caused by alcoholics + many more. But just because its legal , some accept it . Only reason weed is illegal , is not so you dont smoke , or cause its harmful , its because the its a commodity that cannot be controlled , and it poses a massive threat to the already existing industries in terms , of timber , cottons etc . .. do some research , those who lobbied against the legality of HEMP [ which is the basic source of weed with virtually no thc ] are those who own major corporations in the timber and cotton industry . you can make rope , paper , clothes , different fibers and other products so it would replace wood etc [ there are many youtube vids , and articles online explaining this in detail] .. this is the same with the people who owned companies who produced , legal opium and heroin as medicine in the 60s , then lobbied against their own products to make it illegal because there was too much competition and the profit margin was going down , therefore , they made their own product illegal and enjoyed watching its price sky rocket over 100% over night..... its all about profit just like everything else ... hemp is an uncontrollable natural resource , you can make an infinite supply from just one seed , and thats the issue , there can be no monopoly , other wise cannabis would be legal...

also all the drugs u get from your doctor are also mind altering , and well you may say its haalal coz the doctor gave it , well there are doctors prescribing weed as well , where do we draw the line ? prescription drug abuse is at a rise like never before , which is because they are the same as -illegal drugs - mainly using , opiates , or synthetically made opiates , and other chemicals ...

ps - i ve never had a mind altering affect from smoking shisha/hookah , but i have seen people who are terribly disoriented from smoking it , and say they have a really heavy head , feel dizzy n have to lay down for a while ... so it would be haram for them , and not for me ? what do you think

very interesting points. there is a documentary somewhere on streaming netflix that goes into the history of hemp and cannabis in the USA. The heavy hand of money and industry is all around it. If scientists and universities could have an honest go at the science, so much would stem from the research. THC-based psychiatric drugs might have far reaching potential but until the research is done, the effects cannot be isolated and controlled. I would be quite interested to see what a pharmaceutical company could develop with the marijuana plant.

very interesting points. there is a documentary somewhere on streaming netflix that goes into the history of hemp and cannabis in the USA. The heavy hand of money and industry is all around it. If scientists and universities could have an honest go at the science, so much would stem from the research. THC-based psychiatric drugs might have far reaching potential but until the research is done, the effects cannot be isolated and controlled. I would be quite interested to see what a pharmaceutical company could develop with the marijuana plant.

they are way ahead of you ....this was all over the news in the uk - Sativex - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sativex

Sativex is an oromucosal (mouth) spray developed by the UK company GW Pharmaceuticals for multiple sclerosis patients, who can use it to alleviate neuropathic pain, spasticity, overactive bladder, and other symptoms. Sativex is also being prescribed to alleviate pain due to cancer and has been researched in various models of peripheral and central neuropathic pain. Sativex is distinct from all other pharmaceutically produced cannabinoids currently available because it is derived from botanical material, rather than a solely synthetic process. Sativex is a pharmaceutical product standardised in composition, formulation, and dose. Its principal active cannabinoid components are the cannabinoids: tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD). The product is formulated as an oromucosal spray which is administered by spraying into the mouth. Each spray of Sativex delivers a fixed dose of 2.7mg THC and 2.5mg CBD.

In June 2010, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency of the United Kingdom licensed Sativex as a prescription only medicine for the treatment of spasticity due to Multiple Sclerosis. This regulatory authorization represents the world's first full regulatory approval for the medicine. Sativex is being marketed in the UK by Bayer Schering Pharma.

Sativex is expected to be approved and launched in Spain for MS spasticity in the second half of 2010

I have a shar'i question for the e-scholars on here (maybe Al-Mufeed can answer, since I am now doing taqlid of him).

So I was passing through some dorm rooms today, and I got a big whiff of this funny smell. It made me light-headed. I don't know what it was (I had never smelled weed smoke before, so I don't know if it was that), but I am pretty sure it was some kind of something.

I want to know if my sniffing of it was haraam, considering that it was unintentional?

Guest Muhamad

salam.gifsheikh.gif

to be honest with all my brothers and sisters .. i LOVE smoking up .. even if i don't do it nowadays .. i always imagine myself chilling in the marihuana fields in heaven having heavenly buds that glow and get me soooooo high .. thank God i never really enjoyed any other intoxicant .. (apart from mushrooms i tried once in a forest where they grew in their season .. and never again) ..

so for me to get the umph to quit .. the motivation .. THE BEST REASON TO STOP is:

it stops me from praying!!! i tried praying while being high and God showed me very fast that it's wrong .. i was going to fall over while praying .. and caught myself in the last split-second ..

also, it's quite clear .. like 99% (100% is reserved for Allah The Absolute) :) in the quran that we are not to pray when intoxicated .. "so we know what we are saying"

personally i believe it's a big NO-NO to stand in front of Allah while intoxicated in ANY WAY.

so that's my reason for not smoking .. these days anyway .. and may Allah make us all happy without these substances happy.gif

oh yeah .. there is another reason .. in case my limited interpretation skills are working .. it says in the quran that intoxicants cause problems between people .. that's also kind of true .. just quit and let your "friends" know .. then you'll find out who your true friends are .. or those who just hang out with you to get high ..

thanks for listening biggrin.gif

smile.gifsalam.gifsmile.gif

by the way .. by "enjoying" other intoxicants i don't mean i didn't try .. just means i didn't LOVE ..

anyway . transparency .. transparency .. honesty honesty bla bla hahahahahaha w00t.gif

salam.gif

If this thread has any conclusion at all, it must be that you all should get together and puff, puff, pass.

I wouldn't say that. the proper teaching of meditation from an early age would in my opinion naturally discourage substance use among the youth. for those who have been abused and have turned to substance use for comfort or for those who just got mixed up in the wrong crowd, the solutions will be more complex.

Salam People,

i would like to add to the discussion in this thread Whether if smoking weed/Marijuana/hashish/Any form of THC ( the substance that makes u high) is hallal or haraam.

Firstly people who do not smoke weed, it is very easy for them to simply state smoking weed is harram, find a better alternative, Find Salah. I respect their opinion but they have not presented a hard evidence to convince the guy on the other side.

Secondly there are people who have tried weed and quit and have come back to the path which is pure and free from impurities, they advice not to smoke weed since they say it intoxicates you and hence forth place some amount of evidence to their reasoning.

I have been very close to the people who smoke weed and i have tried it myself. The detrimental effects of smoking weed which i have observed are listed below, if you see any evidence of it being haraam through the effects it causes, please stop smoking and seek Allahs will for guidance:

1. Weed smoking alters the biological clock present in the human brain. It resets your neuro receptors and makes you sleep for a longer period. It may turn you Nocturnal.

2. Weed smoking may not apparently harm your body, but it surely alters psychology and use of the drug THC induces temporary happiness. People who want temporary happiness should seek gods refuge and identify real life issues which make their lives miserable rather than numbing their minds with the drug.

3. Smoking weed is injurious to the lungs which is a proven scientific fact even tough its affects are much less compared to smoking cigarettes

4. Smoking weed makes you inexorably hungry, May lead to gluttony, which is Haram in Islam.

5. In most cases smoking weed is connected with Trance music, which is Haram. Smoking weed enhances ones senses and hence people enjoy listening to music even more than before.

Finally the point which really convinced me that smoking weed is haraam is when i came across the life of Aleister Crowley, the wickedest man on earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleister_Crowley) He was probably the most skilled black magician on planet earth and can be called the father of modern Free-Masonic culture.

He regularly used Hashish which is the processed form of Weed (not much difference) during his black magic rituals as a way to connect with the dark powers. For those who further wish to investigate can use the link to watch a documentary on his life. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc-U1kpXMJ8

Thank you for reading.

May Allah bless us with the knowledge to deal the trickeries of 21st century.

Edited by kazmicabc

He regularly used Hashish which is the processed form of Weed (not much difference) during his black magic rituals as a way to connect with the dark powers. For those who further wish to investigate can use the link to watch a documentary on his life.

(sarcasm) See?! It IS spiritual and helsp meditation! :P

Lets get all Shia youth addicted to it because Dajjal and Satan are coming and the party of Aleister Crowley needs satanical social espionage with threads like these because they're so scared of present-minded people in a society.

If at first you don't succeed,

[beep] the world aaaand........ smoke some weeeed!~

YAYYYYYY~ Bob Marley for the spiritual win!!!~

:dry:

Guest Muhamad

If this thread has any conclusion at all, it must be that you all should get together and puff, puff, pass.

hahahahha may Allah forgive us all :) including the muslim potheads

salam.gifsheikh.gif

to be honest with all my brothers and sisters .. i LOVE smoking up .. even if i don't do it nowadays .. i always imagine myself chilling in the marihuana fields in heaven having heavenly buds that glow and get me soooooo high .. thank God i never really enjoyed any other intoxicant .. (apart from mushrooms i tried once in a forest where they grew in their season .. and never again) ..

Props for your honesty :blush:

if smoking weed, which is clearly not stated as haram in the quran(its not an intoxicant), why is it haram? if i smoke it and it never affects my relationship with Allah and i always smoke it after final prayer. Is there a hadith or anything that says its haram, beside the quran?

Allah says in the Quran that anything that harms your body is haraam.

He also says that if somethings disadvantages rule its advantages, its is haraam...the same reason alcohol is haraam.

Something that changes your "state of mind" is also haraam...the reason alcohol is haraam.

It damages your brain, lungs, the function of many organs in your body..slow suicide don't you think?

Also, in Hajj Hassanain RajabAli's lecture..he talks about doing haraam stuff and he mentions smoking right after alcohol. Okay, so i'm no scholar but isn't he a man with great knowledge? Isn't what he says right?

I have not smoked it in a great many years but I still wonder about it.

For instance how can something that grows wild be illegal, Is God guilty of a crime of course not. Because it is a part of nature it must have a purpose so using it for its purpose should be legal and halal, no? I am talking about its medicinal properties such as easing pain and creating an appetite in the sick and affirm.

Pot destroys motivation. This is why the much more physically destructive alcohol is legal and the much less destructive Pot is not. An alcoholic will get up and go to work every morning because they want to improve their lot. Pot heads become satisfied with their lot no matter how banal or cancer ridden. A pot head will blow off work if they have a means of purchasing more pot independent of their own efforts. In short, alcohol increases aggression and pot destroys it. Because pot destroys the tax base, it is illegal. Otherwise the state would legalize it and tax it regardless of what it is doing to the moral fiber of the society.

Pot destroys motivation. This is why the much more physically destructive alcohol is legal and the much less destructive Pot is not. An alcoholic will get up and go to work every morning because they want to improve their lot. Pot heads become satisfied with their lot no matter how banal or cancer ridden. A pot head will blow off work if they have a means of purchasing more pot independent of their own efforts. In short, alcohol increases aggression and pot destroys it. Because pot destroys the tax base, it is illegal. Otherwise the state would legalize it and tax it regardless of what it is doing to the moral fiber of the society.

Some good insight bro ! if you can elaborate more and present some evidence, it would be helpful in order to establish a concrete argument.

People need to be educated.

Kind regards

For instance how can something that grows wild be illegal, Is God guilty of a crime of course not. Because it is a part of nature it must have a purpose so using it for its purpose should be legal and halal, no? I am talking about its medicinal properties such as easing pain and creating an appetite in the sick and affirm.

From what i've heard, anything used for the sake of medicine is halaal. Alcohol for example is found in many medications..that doesn't make the medicine haraam does it? If the persons intention is to be cured, then it is not haraam. But if someone reads this and says "yay! alcohol isn't haraam" and goes and drinks bottles of it, then thats obviously haraam because his intention isn't to cure himself. Do you get my flow?

Also, the disadvantages of smoking are a lot more than it's advantages as i mentioned earlier. Smokng may make you feel better and relief your stress but look at the health aspect of it. It destroys the cells in your oesophagus (the goblet cells, dust cells, villi and microvilli) that are used to move up the bacteria to allow it not to enter your system. Once these cells are destroyed, you end up with countless infections. Because you are causing repetitive abrasion to your oesophagus, the cells i mentioned changes into simple squamous cells because they are trying to protect your oesophagus from destruction. This inturn will lead to the destruction on those cells and lead to infections.

Also, the pleural cavity that surrounds our lungs is a liquid that helps us breathe easily without breathing in hard/too much air. When you smoke, you are thickening the fluid in this cavity and as it progresses over time, it becomes very hard for you to breathe. Thats why you see smokers take a lot of small, heavy breaths at one time..its because they need to get a sufficient amount of air into their lungs to be able to live and this becomes very hard with a thickened pleural cavity.

Not to mention, the effects it has on the brain (it can cause haemorrhage), the effect it has on the feotus and the people around you (passive smokers).

Everything comes from something natural, EG cocaine with poppy seeds, i think? Alcohol from yeast, etc you get my drift, doesnt mean its halaal? something that makes you out of your own normal state of mind, is haraam, THATS why its haraam! because it doesnt make you think normally. you do things you wouldnt normally do etc.

I dont know how anyone would smoke weed, do any drugs at all! I would much rather be in my own right state of mind and remember Allah in that state, then get "high" or "drunk" and act like a complete idiot.

Goodluck in life to those who touch that disgusting stuff.

And to be quite honest, noone here has the RIGHT to sit here and say "well i dont think its haram because..." the only way you can reason your thoughts and the only proper way to think is by the QUR'AN and HADITHS. not becuase of what we LIKE in life or what our BRAIN tell us. shayton can easily whisper to us, but as we act with anything in this life, we should open the QURAN and find truths to permit it, or to not. simple. as. that.

Edited by MissShiaMuslim

I am in complete agreement and I thank you for the sincere advice brother, maybe they'll listen to you. I've been giving that argument, that potheads are a drag on the society and productivity of their people. No great figure ever used weed.

Treating the sick is something else. They even give heavy doses of morphine to soldiers injured and in considerable pain. But let's not forget that it's situational. When the situation is right, even dog meat becomes halal, i.e., when near death due to hunger.

Be smart. Don't sacrifice your health and your life on this seemingly pleasurable satanic altar that is being made fair looking to you. The trade offs and risks are definitely not worth it at all. Don't get lured into even trying it. Trust me.

Let me give you this example:

lets say you sell a lot of weed, and you make about 10 g's....

Would you use that money that you made to go to Hajj and perform pilgrimage?

Another example:

You say you dont smoke when your praying but you deny that it is an intoxicant are even haram.

So why dont you just smoke a blunt and pray and break your fast with weed brownies....

if you have a drug problem, you should realize that it is wrong and get help.

Yeah man, if it is for medicinal properties, or some other kind of use that is healthy for human behavior or life status, then in those specific situations, it would be deemed as halal.

The same can be said about tobacco, alcohol, and any other strong drugs, chemicals, substances etc.

You never know, in the future, perhaps specific types of wine and other alcoholic beverages, may become halal if there were to be special Islamic jurisdictions that prove them to be recommended for fighting some kind of severe illnesses, diseases, cancer etc.

The only argument I can make from both a Western and Eastern perspective, is that marijuana, alcohol, and some other possible substances, may possibly influence the prefrontal cortex which is responsible for many important things in our lives that may lead to healthy or dangerous decisions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefrontal_cortex

Wikipedia has some brief details that explain the role of this area.

Of the information on there, the executive functions, are probably the main reason why many hallucinogen drugs are not to become abused or at least taken in those haram ways (i.e. smoking for pleasure, instead of medicinal purposes)

to be accepted in Western culture.

and if marijuana is a natural plant, wouldnt that mean it was created by Allah almighty?

Thats the most pathetic excuse I have ever heard lol.

By your logic, you should also have sex, drink, listen to music all the time, have a GF, eat hamburgers at McDonalds, experiment with drugs such as cocaine, and so many other haram things.

Pigs are also created by God - that doesn't make them halaal. Devils are created by God - doesn't make them good.

LOL, you are weak-minded my brother. Put the weed down. It is nothing but a waste of time and money.

Smoking weed is sawab. Jesus used cannabis oil. And yes, Allah did create marijuana as a plant for us to use for many purposes. Same with coca leaves and poppy pods. Get over it.

Marijuana is only good.

Smoking weed is sawab. Jesus used cannabis oil. And yes, Allah did create marijuana as a plant for us to use for many purposes. Same with coca leaves and poppy pods. Get over it.

Marijuana is only good.

And how exactly does this fit in when in the Qur'an Allah(swt) tells us that all intoxicants are forbidden?

And when the Prophet further elaborated by saying that anything you intake that takes you out of the correct state of mind is forbidden?

I mean, When you speak...you seem to be analyzing things to your own "Desires" not to actually what the Prophet and the Qur'an are saying.

As for Jesus (pbuh) using Cannabis oil. First off, we as Muslims Follow the Sunnah of Rassollah (pbuh) as he is the last and final messenger of God. Ontop of that, we as Muslim do not believe that the Prophets of God engaged in activities that are against God's commands.

These are basic things you have to believe in to be called a "Muslim"

Its really not that difficult.

But I know that.....

As Clear and simple as this sounds to the people of truth

As difficult and complex does this sound to the people of whim's and desires

Weed is haram, because it is for junkies, are you a junky? It does intoxicate you, it makes you laugh at silly things that should not be funny and so on.

Hookah, permissible, if it doesn't cause you harm, impermissible if it does (cop out for smokers, it should be haram full stop.)

Salam Hasan whats happening bro???????

I agree weed is haram because it messes with your mind and is addictive and is bad for you. What about caffine? especially the new redbull shots, they are addictive and bad for you... are they are haram? What about processed food ie makas kills more people then any illicit drug, Just something to think about!!!

PS hooka is worse then smoking, i had a argument with a mate and its like 5 times worse then smoking i checked.

Peace bro :)

why so much arguing on something that is HARAM brothers and sisters.

Some people in here might as well argue over the issue of alcohol. Benefits shmenefits man, its a drug, its a narcotic, its HARAM. Why is everyone trying to reassure themselves with these benefits in an attempt to outweigh the haram?

Some are arguing against others with the benefits of this deviating drug. It doesnt take a 'alim or a marja to sort it out for you, I dont even think you would need to dig up the ayah in the quran, this is something thats common sense in Islam.

Im amazed at the people who consider it good, who say it helps their prayer and say oh its not so bad after all. Wow ,really? you need to feel euphoric while you pray i see, otherwise its not as "ROBOTIC". Dont you see what rules and WHO'S rules your going against here? Or?........

Sorry if i seem so blunt at the moment but this thread has left me shaking my head.... What has it come down to now seriously.

peace.

Just bumping up my post at this pathetic thread.

To the OP, just because Snooki does it, doesn't mean you do too w00t.gif

It's like saying, I want to eat pork because hey, it's meat too!

Sigh at this mentality. Puff & pass you hippies, in the end it wont get you anywhere.

Just bumping up my post at this pathetic thread.

To the OP, just because Snooki does it, doesn't mean you do too w00t.gif

It's like saying, I want to eat pork because hey, it's meat too!

Sigh at this mentality. Puff & pass you hippies, in the end it wont get you anywhere.

The thread is Obvious Smoking weed is Haram. but where do we draw the line because theres things which are much more harmful and we dont consider them haram. Ie Processed foods, Smoking tabacco, Caffiene, Testosterone supplements, Artificial Sugar ( i watched a doc on it and its pretty scary what it does to your brain)

The thread is Obvious Smoking weed is Haram. but where do we draw the line because theres things which are much more harmful and we dont consider them haram. Ie Processed foods, Smoking tabacco, Caffiene, Testosterone supplements, Artificial Sugar ( i watched a doc on it and its pretty scary what it does to your brain)

(salam)

Yea, the intoxicants are obviously haram. That's black and white.

In terms of food and eating habits, there's an explanation for that too:

Do not sit for food unless you are hungry; and do not leave the table but you still have an appetite for it, and chew your food in your mouth well.

(Biharul-Anwar - Volume 24, Page 245. al-Majlisi, 1627 (AR)

(Truly) Over-indulgence of food causes various kinds of diseases.

(Ghurarul-Hikam - Page 359)

So in other words, we should not overindulge in food and keep as healthy as possible. Common sense, if you know something will do you eventual harm, refrain from eating it alot. As for the testosterone and things you would take for bodybuilding, I'm not too sure. Even though they make you look good on the outside, I'm not so sure it'll do you well on the inside.

And this ones for the OP, who said he feels better in Salat whilst on weed.

O you who believe! Do not go near prayer when you are intoxicated until you know (well) what you say .

(al-Qur'an - Chapter 4, Verse 43)

(salam)

Yea, the intoxicants are obviously haram. That's black and white.

In terms of food and eating habits, there's an explanation for that too:

Do not sit for food unless you are hungry; and do not leave the table but you still have an appetite for it, and chew your food in your mouth well.

(Biharul-Anwar - Volume 24, Page 245. al-Majlisi, 1627 (AR)

(Truly) Over-indulgence of food causes various kinds of diseases.

(Ghurarul-Hikam - Page 359)

So in other words, we should not overindulge in food and keep as healthy as possible. Common sense, if you know something will do you eventual harm, refrain from eating it alot. As for the testosterone and things you would take for bodybuilding, I'm not too sure. Even though they make you look good on the outside, I'm not so sure it'll do you well on the inside.

And this ones for the OP, who said he feels better in Salat whilst on weed.

O you who believe! Do not go near prayer when you are intoxicated until you know (well) what you say .

(al-Qur'an - Chapter 4, Verse 43)

Great post bro Thanks