Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Explaining hijab to young girls

Rate this topic

Noor-Alhuda

• Advanced Member

(salam)

My daughter is 7 and has been wearing hijab for almost 2 years now. I spoke to her when she was small explaining to her that when she was a big girl she would need to wear hijab, so when she started school she decided she was a big girl and that was it! She has been wearing hijab ever since and hasn't faltered a day. I had no plans to start her wearing hijab until she was obliged to, however this was 100% her choice and I certainly can't complain about that!

Now that she is getting older, some of her friends are starting to ask her questions about why she wears a scarf - she tells them that she is Muslim and it is part of her clothes. Kids seem to be pretty accepting of this (it also helps with those overly curious children who want to see what is under her scarf - the teachers remind the kids that it is not okay to pull off other peoples clothing!).

As to how I explain to her why she needs to wear hijab, I explain to her that it is to protect herself, so that people know that she is Mulsim, so people treat her like a person rather than someone who is just pretty to look at, and I also explain to her that it is written in the Holy Qu'ran and that it will make Allah happy if she wears hijab. At the moment, I keep it very simple and as she gets older I will explain in more detail. I always answer her questions as honestly and simply as I can and she seems confident within herself and with talking to her peers.

I told my youngest sister that hijab is a way to make people see what is in her heart and mind more clearly, even though without hijab her intelligence and her kindness would not go unnoticed. I told her that even if she didn't wear hijab she should behave in a way that commands respect and appreciation from the world, and that hijab simply supplements all the wonderful gifts she already has. It doesn't mean she can't still be foot loose and fancy free, but she just needs to remember that there is something absolutely unique and special about all women, something that commands respect and wonder. I also made sure she understood the hijab was not for anyone except herself and she was most certainly not "saving her beauty" for anyone. It was really important to me that she understood this point.

She is a precocious young lady and she asks a lot of questions and I am always very open and honest with her about them. I hope her hijab promotes tolerance and exposes the children at her school to the different faiths that are out there. We need a lot more tolerance in our world.

• Advanced Member

I told my little sister her body is private, and its only for her(her family, husband), and she shouldn't let men look at it. I emphasized on that and on the fact that when people approach her especially males, it would be for whats inside not the outside. I also breifly explained to her that it isn't very modest or respectful for a girl to turn a guys on, and when girls reaveal their bodies, they become an object.

I'm very happy to see her, before she goes to school asking me if her shirt is to tight or to short, girls having dignity over there bodies these days is very rare. So allhamdalla I think I got the message to her...

• Advanced Member

(salam)

My daughter is 7 and has been wearing hijab for almost 2 years now. I spoke to her when she was small explaining to her that when she was a big girl she would need to wear hijab, so when she started school she decided she was a big girl and that was it! She has been wearing hijab ever since and hasn't faltered a day. I had no plans to start her wearing hijab until she was obliged to, however this was 100% her choice and I certainly can't complain about that!

Now that she is getting older, some of her friends are starting to ask her questions about why she wears a scarf - she tells them that she is Muslim and it is part of her clothes. Kids seem to be pretty accepting of this (it also helps with those overly curious children who want to see what is under her scarf - the teachers remind the kids that it is not okay to pull off other peoples clothing!).

As to how I explain to her why she needs to wear hijab, I explain to her that it is to protect herself, so that people know that she is Mulsim, so people treat her like a person rather than someone who is just pretty to look at, and I also explain to her that it is written in the Holy Qu'ran and that it will make Allah happy if she wears hijab. At the moment, I keep it very simple and as she gets older I will explain in more detail. I always answer her questions as honestly and simply as I can and she seems confident within herself and with talking to her peers.

Mashallah. Excellent post.Its good to know that Ur daughter is so sensible even at a very young age. My niece is just 5 yrs old yet she covers her head. One day we're just passing by the Grocery store and my stomach was empty so i just picked up a packet of chips and she said to me,"Ya can't eat that.They're not halal". It was up-to my great surprise that she was actually aware of this concept. I'm of the view that its only about up-bringing Ur children in a nice way and then there will be no need of guiding them as they will get to know of their good and bad on their own.

• 8 years later...
  • Basic Members
On 11/19/2009 at 7:12 PM, hijabikel said:

(salam)

My young non-Muslim daughter asked me  why women wear hijab. Thank you so much for your thoughtful and inspiring reply. I will refer to this post when speaking to her about empowerment and self-confidence. The post is so old, but it really resonated with me and I am truly forever grateful.