Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Does Islam accept and promote slavery?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Is this what all muslims believe in?

'slavery' in islam is absorbing the children and women from wars so they are not left open to abuse,when their men have been defeated. bearing in mind that in the islamic society they will have difficulty providing and protecting themselves without a husband/father.

It is urged to teach them islam and free them.

this is 'slavery' in islam. Nothing to do with slave trade of the west or current abuse of ethiopians in saud etc.

'slavery' in islam is absorbing the children and women from wars so they are not left open to abuse,when their men have been defeated. bearing in mind that in the islamic society they will have difficulty providing and protecting themselves without a husband/father.

Or Use those women as sex slaves.

I am shocked,.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

If you look at the kaffarah for a number of sins, most of them involve freeing a slave.

So Islam came to limit and control slavery to the point of extinction.

And you have to remember that slavery in Arabia in those days was nothing like the barbaric animialistic slavery that the Americans used on the Africans during the 1800s.

Most "slaves" were treated like servants of the early part of the past century. A number of them even received money etc.

But as I said, we find that Islam limited slavery to the point of extinction but it never forbade it.

wa salam

Edited by lotfilms
Where is it legal, that this might be an issue? As far as I know, keeping slaves is not legal anywhere in the world. If its not legal anywhere, its totally irrelevant.

So if its not relevant nowadays it doesn't matter even though its a moral issue?

Say if islam allowed cannibalism and its irrelevent today , it would have been all right?

And you have to remember that slavery in Arabia in those days was nothing like the barbaric animialistic slavery that the Americans used on the Africans during the 1800s.

Slaves used to be treated the same way as they did in America. Also, what makes you think that being a slave made them happy to be a slave of somebody. Thats a denial of basic human rights. Why didn't muslim God ban this unholy practice completely ? Seems like Koran is a bit dated to me.

Also punishments like hands getting chopped off, hanging and other practises like polygamy, pedophilia, slavery, and others that i don't remember make islam seem like an ancient religion by today's standards.

Will the shia mahdi come and reform islam as we know it?

Sex slaves? No, sex slavery was never allowed. You are misinterpreting something here.

then what is this guy talking about?

I can imagine plenty of cases in which a person might prefer to be a slave instead of an impoverished "free" person.

NOT really. NOBODY wants to be a slave. NO ONE.

Get over it.

Thats a nice motto. "Get over it" Why is the government taking 50 percent of people's money and then forcing them to move out of their homes when they cannot afford the mortgage? " Get over it "

Response to any injustice in the world. "Get over it".

What are you doing here anyway? And where have you managed to leech off free internet that you can post this much at different hours?

You have no authority over me. I am not "leeching" your resources. What am i doing over here? Get over it. Now what are you doing here?

I am not "leeching" your resources.

Since you've asserted that you can live off of no cash (ergo no income), while internet access does cost money, the conclusion would be that you are in fact getting it from somewhere while someone else is paying for it. Or, are you just a hypocrite who likes to throw around weird ideas condemning those who disagree but not live up to them yourselves?

What am i doing over here?

Wasting our time.

Islam does not encourage and promote slavery. islam recognized the reality of slavery as it was then, and put in place rules and guidelines which essentially did away with slavery, but not 'emancipation' style where u let em go with no means of finding their next morsel. Look at the position of 'slaves' in the history of Islam.. Bilal the first muadh-dhin of Islam and Salman-who bought his freedom with the help of RasulAllah s.a.w and other companions (ra), Lady Fidh-dhah who chose to stay on with the Prophet's family despite being freed in honour.

also, Islam allowed slave women to be married, and not to be used for 'breeding' purposes like slaves in othe places. a child born to a slave mother had every right from the father, from name to inheritance. contrast this with slavery in the americas where a slave owner would not only sire children with slave women, but then sire children with his own children!

Sex slavery is when someone is kept in captivity and forced to have sex against their will. Where do you see the poster giving support to that in the post you quoted?

Since when is slavery unforced?

Since you've asserted that you can live off of no cash (ergo no income), while internet access does cost money, the conclusion would be that you are in fact getting it from somewhere while someone else is paying for it. Or, are you just a hypocrite who likes to throw around weird ideas condemning those who disagree but not live up to them yourselves?

There is free internet access everywhere if you search for it.

Wasting our time.

Fact: No one's time is precious. And what you are doing now is better than what most people do. Most people spend most of their time slaving away for paper.

Islam does not encourage and promote slavery. islam recognized the reality of slavery as it was then, and put in place rules and guidelines which essentially did away with slavery, but not 'emancipation' style where u let em go with no means of finding their next morsel. Look at the position of 'slaves' in the history of Islam.. Bilal the first muadh-dhin of Islam and Salman-who bought his freedom with the help of RasulAllah s.a.w and other companions (ra), Lady Fidh-dhah who chose to stay on with the Prophet's family despite being freed in honour.

also, Islam allowed slave women to be married, and not to be used for 'breeding' purposes like slaves in othe places. a child born to a slave mother had every right from the father, from name to inheritance. contrast this with slavery in the americas where a slave owner would not only sire children with slave women, but then sire children with his own children!

The reality of slavery as it was back then. Muslims assert that Quran is still relevent nowadays when slavery isn't. How does Quran apply nowadays in regards to slavery and other aforementioned practices?

Never mind. My point is that since Islam recognized the reality of slavery even though Islam condemns it, Islam also accepted the TRUE slave system of what we call MONEY back then. Sooner or later this money system will get outdated with principles such as credit, plastic, debit, daily/monthly rations, etc.

I think that Shia mahdi will reform islam and make it modern.

and btw whether its a joke or not ,

http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html

this seems serious yet it is ridiculous. free internet from google ^^

http://account.netzero.net/s/landing?group=freecorp&refcd=cj&cf=cj&AID=10388574&PID=1535161

http://www.socalfree.net/

http://www.myfreewirelessisp.com/

And i hate or don't care about the way people treat those who seek different ways to live other than their conformist ways. I am infact enjoying the way macisaac is showing his contempt for me just because i don't want to be a slave like him. Its not uncommon for people to behave this way. They think they are special and normal if they conform to stupidity.

• Advanced Member

Since when is slavery unforced?

Where did you get the idea that the slave masters, in the time when this was relevant in Islamic civilization, had the right to force the female slave to have sex with him? They were legal to each other. That doesn't imply the man had any right to force himself on her if she was unwilling.

There is free internet access everywhere if you search for it.

It's not free; you're just not paying for it. There's a basic difference.

Edited by kadhim
Where did you get the idea that the slave masters, in the time when this was relevant in Islamic civilization, had the right to force the female slave to have sex with him? They were legal to each other. That doesn't imply the man had any right to force himself on her if she was unwilling.

Apparently slavery still is relevant to islam because its mentioned in the Quran. Are you suggesting that Quran is dated now and needs to be changed by the shia mahdi?

It's not free; you're just not paying for it. There's a basic difference.

the example of an internet for conformist people can be given by something like National TV Channel which you can access if you just have TV and antenna to receive it. Its free and you can enjoy it. In the future hopefully internet will be as free as that. In India they are thinking of introducing 2 mb internet to everyone by the year 2011.

I however consider everything in the universe a GIFT from God and free to use.

• Advanced Member
Apparently slavery still is relevant to islam because its mentioned in the Quran.

I see you're skipping the question I asked and answering it with another question.

I take it then that you grant that you were mistaken about the point in question. Good.

To answer your question, the Qu'ran addressed solutions and guidance to a specific reality of time and place.

By understanding that earlier reality and the solutions brought through those revelations to those people, we gain insight into general principles that apply to our different reality. Some of those early realities, such as the value of prayer and fasting, are timeless and have not changed. Others, such as the existence of slavery, have changed.

the example of an internet for conformist people can be given by something like National TV Channel which you can access if you just have TV and antenna to receive it. Its free and you can enjoy it. In the future hopefully internet will be as free as that. In India they are thinking of introducing 2 mb internet to everyone by the year 2011.

That's not free either. This TV station has expenses and requires resources. It acquires those resources through a portion of the wages of all workers and businesses in the nation who pay taxes.

• Forum Administrators

(salam)

Slavery is something that was allowed but not necessarily promoted. In other words, the slave trade was around and popular at the time of the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh), and he did not ban the use of slaves. Instead, the slave system was regulated. Some rules were codified, such as, any children a master has with a slave would be free, and any slave that married her master would be freed as well.

The freeing of slaves has been highly recommended by the Prophet in Islam. There's a large amount of scenarios in Islam where the freeing of slaves is mandatory - like when you miss a day of fasting in Ramadhan, you're either supposed to feed ten poor people or free a slave. Islam is full of things like that.

Just so you know, I don't think we have a system of "enslavement", at least not during the occultation of the Imam (as).

But I don't see any of this as a problem, I mean today, you all permit something much worse than slavery. It's called labour. At least with slavery, food, safety, and shelter is provided to the slave, but with labourers, big Western industries go to poorer countries like Malaysia, and pay the workers literally a few cents per hour, and they work long hours.

Edited by Qa'im
But I don't see any of this as a problem, I mean today, you all permit something much worse than slavery. It's called labour. At least with slavery, food, safety, and shelter is provided to the slave, but with labourers, big Western industries go to poorer countries like Malaysia, and pay the workers literally a few cents per hour, and they work long hours.

MOST EXCELLENT RESPONSE. I DIDN'T EXPECT THIS FROM SOMEONE HERE. I HAD LOST HOPE IN THIS SITE WHEN I POSTED MY THREAD ABOUT THE GLOBAL SLAVERY BY WESTERN CULTURES AND MONEY AND THE RESPONSES FROM PEOPLE HERE BUT NOT YOU.

Thanks for being honest about the society today. Indeed slavery is not relevant today because people are worser off.

I see you're skipping the question I asked and answering it with another question.

I take it then that you grant that you were mistaken about the point in question. Good.

To answer your question, the Qu'ran addressed solutions and guidance to a specific reality of time and place.

By understanding that earlier reality and the solutions brought through those revelations to those people, we gain insight into general principles that apply to our different reality. Some of those early realities, such as the value of prayer and fasting, are timeless and have not changed. Others, such as the existence of slavery, have changed.

Thanks for your answer.

That's not free either. This TV station has expenses and requires resources. It acquires those resources through a portion of the wages of all workers and businesses in the nation who pay taxes.

Air is not free either. Air has expenses and requires resources. It acquires those resources through a portion of the wages of all workers and businesses in the nation who pay taxes.

Water is not free either. Water has expenses and requires resources. It acquires those resources through a portion of the wages of all workers and businesses in the nation who pay taxes.

Land is not free either. Land has expenses and requires resources. It acquires those resources through a portion of the wages of all workers and businesses in the nation who pay taxes.

and so on..

The freeing of slaves has been highly recommended by the Prophet in Islam. There's a large amount of scenarios in Islam where the freeing of slaves is mandatory - like when you miss a day of fasting in Ramadhan, you're either supposed to feed ten poor people or free a slave. Islam is full of things like that.

Just so you know, I don't think we have a system of "enslavement", at least not during the occultation of the Imam

Just as islam allowed slavery only to end it by enforcing other ways to end it, islam also tried to defeat poverty and the monetary system of that time by encouraging people to spend money and give it to the poor and needy. There are however many muslims i have met in real life and here who are slaves to this abomination just as most non muslims are.

Hopefully that imam Mahdi you shias speak off, and Jesus Christ that others speak of, Kalki Avatar , Buddha, whatever the personality's name is, he will come and change the world and end ALL forms of slavery, including the slavery to the government in all forms and of course slavery to the "paper" that we call money.

Air is not free either. Air has expenses and requires resources. It acquires those resources through a portion of the wages of all workers and businesses in the nation who pay taxes.

Water is not free either. Water has expenses and requires resources. It acquires those resources through a portion of the wages of all workers and businesses in the nation who pay taxes.

Land is not free either. Land has expenses and requires resources. It acquires those resources through a portion of the wages of all workers and businesses in the nation who pay taxes.

Are you serious right now? That is your answer? What are the expenses for air exactly? Who has to work in order to MAKE air? Air was existent before people and will be afterward. There are no regulations on it and nobody has to pay anything to use it.

If you want to use fountain water which has been filtered by the human made system then you are right, it isn't free, but if you want to go to a lake or body of water and drink from it then that is also completely free and is the same as air like i described it.

As for land, there are plenty of areas of land that don't belong to anybody and nobody has to work or pay money or anything for it to exist and for you to go on it and do whatever you want, so this is also something that IS free.

The examples you listed are nothing like internet and can not be compared. You are using something that others pay for when you are on the computer or online, you are not using something others pay for to breathe, drink, or live.

Are you serious right now? That is your answer? What are the expenses for air exactly? Who has to work in order to MAKE air? Air was existent before people and will be afterward. There are no regulations on it and nobody has to pay anything to use it.

Everything on earth existed BEFORE humans and will probably exist after them.

If you want to use fountain water which has been filtered by the human made system then you are right, it isn't free, but if you want to go to a lake or body of water and drink from it then that is also completely free and is the same as air like i described it.

Why isn't it free? Its supposed to be free. Well, it is free in many countries if you do your research so i am not complaining about that. Filtered water.

As for land, there are plenty of areas of land that don't belong to anybody and nobody has to work or pay money or anything for it to exist and for you to go on it and do whatever you want, so this is also something that IS free.

Thats where you are wrong. You cannot simply acquire a land nowadays without leasing it from the "government" for a certain period of years and other bs. It is not the good old days of discoverers who used to acquire a piece of land and just live there. I wish things were like that.

But i am totally against this leasing and renting. The land IS FREE just like any other resource.

The examples you listed are nothing like internet and can not be compared. You are using something that others pay for when you are on the computer or online, you are not using something others pay for to breathe, drink, or live.

So if someone is telling me that free exchange of electrons which results in electricity, and then free exchange of photons across a medium which constitute the internet costs certain dollars, i would be an idiot to believe in what he is saying. It is ALL FREE. THE INTERNET IS FREE. THE SOLAR ENERGY IS FREE. ELECTRONS ARE FREE. LIGHT IS FREE. EVERYTHING THAT GOD HAS PROVIDED US IS FREE.

This is just like saying that certain element from the periodic table chart of Chemistry is VALUABLE, and people going on to accept that unopposed. for example, lets say that from now on 1 kg of fluoride is worth $10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

and then people start buying it at that price and then selling it at higher or lower price....

stupid_idiots_big.jpg

Another form of human stupidity can be found in the terms inflation. Hundred years ago, for some reason, a liter of milk cost say 25 cents. Now say it costs 2 dollars due to inflation. WHY? Why would something cost more now than hundred years ago. Has milk somehow become more valuable? How has it become more valuable?

Then suddenly somehow paper money in Zimbabwe becomes so worthless that people start BARTERING AGAIN, realizing what papers are actually worth. First of all why were these paper worthy to begin with? Then suddenly why weren't they worthy and worthless ?

The real idiot is not the one who is telling you that electricity isn't free, which is just a flow of electrons. It is the one who is accepting what the scammer is saying and buying his scam.

Similarly, if i fall into the scam that a certain property costs millions of dollars compared to some other property which costs next to nothing, and prepare to give "millions of dollars" to someone in exchange for the FREE piece of land, then i am stupid.

Its like if someone starts calling me his slave and i accept this without even resisting i deserve to be his slave.

I sir am NOT a slave. I would rather die than be a slave of this system which has resulted in billions of people being "poor" homeless and without food, just because of some people.

I don't see a future in which people continue to remain stupid. There has to be a solution to this human stupidity. I foresee a future in which the human population numbers are rigidly controlled between 2-4 billion and each human being living in a middle class to happy state of being.

hes rotting the forums with his threads and posts full of [Edited Out].

You seem to care about this "forum" as if its a living being with feelings and other things.

Also i see more [Edited Out] being put here every day. My posts are just part of them.

Thirdly, i have no personal conflict with anyone here. I am here to share my views and i think its clear that you don't like my views because you cannot think of any other way to live other than what your parents told you.