Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

mcdonalds fries halal?

Rate this topic

alial1234

(bismillah)(salam)

Salam brothers and sisters and lanat on all oppressers. I would like to ask anyone who lives in canada if the mcdonalds fries are halal. One day i hear yes, one day i hear no. Has anyone actually verified it is halal. I am aware that there is a filter that makes the fries haram, but is it like that in mcdonalds. Jazakallah khair to the responders

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

Hmm i have the same problem eating at these places. Problem is the oil that they fry the chips in. If it used to fry anything else like meat. There meat is najis, therefore if the chips are fried in oil that is fried with meat, the chips also become najis.

However also some places seem to fry the chips in animal oil or animal product which also renders in both haram and najis

There was a big lawsuit in 2001 when people found out they were frying the chips in beef fat and then freezing them in the warehouse b4 sending them off to the restaurants. Apparently they still do this in the US.

Of course they also fry the fries in different oils in different places

To be honest there are laws posted on http://islamic-laws.com/fooddrinks.htm

I would stay away from Mcdonalds to be honest. If you have a peek behind the counter at the workers slugging it out cooking the food, it is an absolute mess. I would not wish to guarantee anyone that it is not najis let alone 'halal'.

The best thing to do, if you really wish to eat at mcdonalds, is go an ask the mcdonalds you go to for detailed info on what oil they use, if there fries contain any animal product or are suitable for vegetarians, and whether the oil they fry them in is used for other products.

Edited by yahossein

I think (from memory) the McDonald site has details of the ingredients used in their foods and the reason why their fries are haram is because of the seasoning they add to them which has either chicken or beef natural flavouring. Im pretty sure most fast food restaurants fry the fries in diff oil than the meat because they constantly have fries coming over and over and it would be a hassle to keep switching, i know burger king works like this for sure for their fries.

So basically if u wanna eat a fish combo you have to get the fish from McDonald, the fries from burger king, and the pop from wherever you want. So if ur ever going out choose an area that has both beside each other :P

I gave up on fish and just eat the veggie combo from bk! Its super good :)

• Veteran Member

I think (from memory) the McDonald site has details of the ingredients used in their foods and the reason why their fries are haram is because of the seasoning they add to them which has either chicken or beef natural flavouring. Im pretty sure most fast food restaurants fry the fries in diff oil than the meat because they constantly have fries coming over and over and it would be a hassle to keep switching, i know burger king works like this for sure for their fries.

So basically if u wanna eat a fish combo you have to get the fish from McDonald, the fries from burger king, and the pop from wherever you want. So if ur ever going out choose an area that has both beside each other :P

Highly likely that your veggie combo was touched with and prepared by the same oily pair of hands which prepared a mouth watering porky burger before yours. :squeez:

(bismillah)(salam)

Shukran for your answers. I know that it is cooked in vegtable oil but my problem is there is a big filter under the fryer that redistributes oil to the fryer to keep it clean. The problem with that is that the oil from the chicken will go back to the fries fryer, making it haram. But i heard that they may use a different fryer, to keep the fries from gaining chicken or fish taste. Can anyone elaborate on this?

(wasalam)

• Forum Administrators

This is a comprehensive listing of McDonalds products and ingredients (as sold in the U.S.):

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/nutrition_ingredients.html

Highly likely that your veggie combo was touched with and prepared by the same oily pair of hands which prepared a mouth watering porky burger before yours. :squeez:

Yea its possible, but by law they are supposed to change gloves and, knives and such so as not to cross contaminate and cause illnesses, so i hope they are doing that properly and since i have no clue if they are or not, then it is okay to consume it!

:)

• Forum Administrators

(salam)

I've never been much of a veggie person, so nowadays I usually just eat shawarmas or pizza whenever I go out for lunch or dinner :)

I find mainstream fastfood's price just goes up, and quality just goes down, so I just try to avoid it by eating at home.

^ me too i know what you mean. At BK first the combo was 5.65, later i went there and it was 5.75 and i wasn't sure if the price had gone up or if i was just remembering wrong, then a while later i went and it was 5.85, and by this time i was sure that the price was in fact going up, so i didn't really like the fact that i was almost 6 dollars whereas before i used to count it as 5. THEN finally, the last time i went there it was 5.95, 5 cents away from being 6 dollars, i haven't gone there again since and god knows if they have surpassed 6 dollars now.

It is a rare occasion where i treat myself out at one of these places, for example today i got a bk craving but went and put food from here and ate it and saved myself 6 dollars, lol.

• Advanced Member

It's good that it is compulsory to investigate . As long as you don't know for sure , you can go ahead and eat your tasty fish sandwich.

Edited by Calm

• Advanced Member

I've been here for a decade and have never stepped foot in any restaurant except for those shawarma, pizzaland and the t-park popeyes...

I happened to pass a mcdonalds whilst walking, the smell was horrible...! I don't know how any muslim can even think of eating ANYthing there GROSS!

If you must have fries, then I heard that NYC Fries are halal, since they just fry them in some kind of vegetable oil and don't add anything else to it..

• Advanced Member

The veggie pattie at subway is halal and you can see them change gloves and everything. But it tastes like cardboard :squeez:

I think mcd's and bk are probably not halal in the sense of it being likely somewhere along the line, either with the beef seasoning used in fries, or the oil they cook it with, or the oil that is mixed with najis meat, or the hands that are used on najis meat then on fries or fish burgers etc that there is a problem.

To be honest i used to have mcd's and bk but now i just go subway if i really have to and get a salad sandwich :squeez: and a pizza toastie or go starbucks and get a coffee. There are takeaways that are halal and owned by a muslim, which means, according to sistanis laws on zabiha on al-islam.org, that even if there is 10-20% chance of the meat being halal you can eat it because the owner is muslim, and says it is halal.

The problem guys to be mindful of that i have noticed is this. Subway and some Nandos say that they sell Halal meat. Now according to laws the LABEL or the writing or sticker saying that the meat is halal is of NO VALUE. And saying that they have a halal certificate also seems to be of no value. If in a non-muslim country the owner of the restaurant must be a Muslim, and then the restaurant must say it is halal, before the meat can be halal to eat. Now im pretty sure the owners of subway or nandos are not muslim.

www.islamic-laws.com/fooddrinks.htm