Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Some questions, please....

Rate this topic

lostmonk

• Basic Members

I am in the midst of some soul searching, and am looking to get some answers on Islam answered.

In regards to salvation; is Islam like Christianity where you have an intercessor? Also, does Islam teach assured salvation, or is it a constant work in progress?

If one takes the shahada, and then falls away from Islam shortly thereafter, is their shahada just not considered to have been sincere, or are they considered to have turned their back on Islam?

Are there any translations of the Qur'an in english that are more highly regarded than others? I was told yeara ago that the "Noble" by Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan and Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-din Al-Hilali was an extremely accurate version.

• Veteran Member

Hello lost Monk,

I suggest you ask as many questions as you can, until you feel that there is no stone left unturned.

I am sure others will help and advise, but the bottom line is, if you say the shahada and mean it, act on what is good, avoid the bad, then your past sins are forgiven and you effectively have a clean slate.

As for the Quran,

http://www.al-islam.org/Quran/

Tick Shakir and the bottom one Pooya commentary, and then click on the surah (chapter) you want, then click display.

I am in the midst of some soul searching, and am looking to get some answers on Islam answered.

In regards to salvation; is Islam like Christianity where you have an intercessor?

There are intecessors, but it is not like Christianity wherein you go through a god-man to be saved. Rather it is that certain individuals have a station of such piety and holiness that you can hope and ask for them to pray for you to God. (not that this absolves the individual from having to do their own prayers of course) Ultimately though, our only Lord is God and associating anyone or anything to His level would be the greatest sin.

Also, does Islam teach assured salvation, or is it a constant work in progress?

Bit of both really. There is salvation in that one may be forgiven on the Day of Judgment by God's mercy and admitted to His garden, and, we believe that the path of salvation is in following this religion He has guided and commanded us to, however it would be wrong for us to state categorically that we know we are in fact saved for life and will be going to Paradise. We don't know that in that we don't know what our future will bring. A pious person today may fall tomorrow, and a sinner today may repent of his ways and die as a saint. It is in fact counted as a sin to feel secure from God's judgment. Conversely though, it is also a sin to despair of His mercy and think you've no hope of forgiveness.

If one takes the shahada, and then falls away from Islam shortly thereafter, is their shahada just not considered to have been sincere, or are they considered to have turned their back on Islam?

If they never meant it in the first place they'd have been hypocrites to start off with. But one who accepts Islam and then rejects it later is in fact an apostate.

Are there any translations of the Qur'an in english that are more highly regarded than others? I was told yeara ago that the "Noble" by Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan and Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-din Al-Hilali was an extremely accurate version.

Sounds like it was a Wahabi who suggested that (a follower of the ruling school of thought in Saudi Arabia, known for its fanatical intolerance of anything other than itself). It's filled with parenthetical statements not at all in the text to propagate their particular doctrines, so in terms of being extremely accurate it's far from being the case. There is no perfect translation out there in our hands, they really do all fall short. But as you've likely heard already, even if you could have one that was completely accurate in its rendering, still any translation will always be nothing more than a pale reflection of the book itself. Some are better than others though. Personally I've been partial to the Arberry translation though for its eloquence and (overall) faithfulness to the letter of the text. Not without flaws or errors, and it is lacking in any commentary, but still one of the better ones out there.

Out of curiosity, looking at your username and icon, are you a Buddhist?

Salam

Good answers by MacIsaac.

I will add something with regards to intercession.

Intercession is really God interceding via his creation. This is because there can't be any good done but by his command, while evil is refusal of his command, and not by his command.

Another thing, intercession in Quran doesn't necessarily mean ask forgiveness for it. That can be it, or part of it but it can mean interceding on our path and changining a set thing where we to be left to our decisions, and there is intercession by God's permission, but you should see all intercession is at the end by God.

Therefore we see Prophets (as) and Imams (as) as a means and they intercede people's path, but in reality, there is no interceder but God.

Before you believe there is intercession, become convinced there is no interceder but God, then seek the interceders by his permission.

Otherwise, you might be doing the biggest sin in Islam (Shirk).

And may peace be upon you.

Edited by Awakened

Salam brother,

Having doubts is part of the natural development of one's learning process of something new and radical to previous mind set and beliefs.

May I suggest that before you go back on your oath of accepting Islam as a guide for your life, you try to search for God within yourself not in books or people advice.

All books (hadith, translated Quran, etc) are the word of Man so take them with a pinch of salt. Only the Arabic Quran is the Word of Allah Almighty and therefore try to seek many translations when in doubt, and ask Arabs for translation out of context and within context. I will be happy to help always, God willing (in sha Allah).

Every person has his own views and experiences of life and Allah guides whom He will to the right path and send astray those who passed the point of no return, as in chapter 92:

I seek refuge in Allah from the cursed satan.

Bism Allah Ar-Rahmaan Ar-Raheem

[Yusufali 92:1] By the Night as it conceals (the light);

[Yusufali 92:2] By the Day as it appears in glory;

[Yusufali 92:3] By (the mystery of) the creation of male and female;-

[Yusufali 92:4] Verily, (the ends) ye strive for are diverse.

[Yusufali 92:5] So he who gives (in charity) and fears (Allah),

[Yusufali 92:6] And (in all sincerity) testifies to the best,-

[Yusufali 92:7] We will indeed make smooth for him the path to Bliss.

[Yusufali 92:8] But he who is a greedy miser and thinks himself self-sufficient,

[Yusufali 92:9] And gives the lie to the best,-

[Yusufali 92:10] We will indeed make smooth for him the path to Misery;

[Yusufali 92:11] Nor will his wealth profit him when he falls headlong (into the Pit).

[Yusufali 92:12] Verily We take upon Ourselves to guide,

[Yusufali 92:13] And verily unto Us (belong) the End and the Beginning.

[Yusufali 92:14] Therefore do I warn you of a Fire blazing fiercely;

[Yusufali 92:15] None shall reach it but those most unfortunate ones

[Yusufali 92:16] Who give the lie to Truth and turn their backs.

[Yusufali 92:17] But those most devoted to Allah shall be removed far from it,-

[Yusufali 92:18] Those who spend their wealth for increase in self-purification,

[Yusufali 92:19] And have in their minds no favour from anyone for which a reward is expected in return,

[Yusufali 92:20] But only the desire to seek for the Countenance of their Lord Most High;

[Yusufali 92:21] And soon will they attain (complete) satisfaction.

Finally I hope you have some free time to enjoy this 44-page booklet :)

http://www.heliwave.com/Soul.and.Spirit.pdf

Salam,

Ali

Hello lost Monk,

I suggest you ask as many questions as you can, until you feel that there is no stone left unturned.

I am sure others will help and advise, but the bottom line is, if you say the shahada and mean it, act on what is good, avoid the bad, then your past sins are forgiven and you effectively have a clean slate.

As for the Quran,

http://www.al-islam.org/Quran/

Tick Shakir and the bottom one Pooya commentary, and then click on the surah (chapter) you want, then click display.

(bismillah)(salam)

If he becomes a mowali yes, sunni no

(wasalam)

• Basic Members
Out of curiosity, looking at your username and icon, are you a Buddhist?

Thank you for your clear and concise answers. Yes, I have been studying buddhism for a while now, but it still leaves me with an emptiness. One of the biggest issues I have with it is the complete absence of a true higher power. It shares the constant work concept with Islam, which to me is the only logical answer.

As for my questions on the shahada, I feel as though I should provide some clarification. I spent some time incarcerated a while ago, and during that time, I did a lot of studying of religions, including Islam. I did my shahada, and was a practicing muslim for a couple of months, but was then transfered. After my transfer, I ended up eventually stopping my practicing, and never really went back.

Now, I am beginning to think that I may have made a huge mistake, all because I was weak in a time where I needed to be strong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

Salamu alaykm. PPl..

I am new ere...i was born a muslim & mashallah bin practising almost all my life, although just started hijab etc 5 yrs ago!alhamdulilahi.

Similarly to lostmonk, i av bin thinkin of converting to shia sch of thought!...the journey started during ramadhan, when Ahlulbayt sky 842 started to air...

i became so confused, i had no clue about the household of the prophet(saw)..i had no clue of anything, i was lost and confused!..SO, in the quest to better myself, i joined the shiachat!... and before anything, i had to same question, INTERCESSION!..i really find it weird the way i ere some ppl say, i asked so n so to pls help me etc!,i mean, i have bin sunni all of my life and the INTERCESSION idea seems to be like what the xtains do!!!!.. all i tend to see about shia's is always close to the graves!, dat i dont relly like and i just want to be clear on that, the above answer is sufficient and i think i am ready to take the step!, but anymore answers will be appreciated too!. Also, pls explain how the imams can be infallible? i understand the Prophet, but the imams? Lastly, what do i do to move to the shia sch of thought, i am so excited!..Mashallah & Alhamdulilahi.

Hajia.

• Advanced Member

(pbuh) (as)

Salamu alaykm. PPl..

I am new ere...i was born a muslim & mashallah bin practising almost all my life, although just started hijab etc 5 yrs ago!alhamdulilahi.

Similarly to lostmonk, i av bin thinkin of converting to shia sch of thought!...the journey started during ramadhan, when Ahlulbayt sky 842 started to air...

i became so confused, i had no clue about the household of the prophet(saw)..i had no clue of anything, i was lost and confused!..SO, in the quest to better myself, i joined the shiachat!... and before anything, i had to same question, INTERCESSION!..i really find it weird the way i ere some ppl say, i asked so n so to pls help me etc!,i mean, i have bin sunni all of my life and the INTERCESSION idea seems to be like what the xtains do!!!!.. all i tend to see about shia's is always close to the graves!, dat i dont relly like and i just want to be clear on that, the above answer is sufficient and i think i am ready to take the step!, but anymore answers will be appreciated too!. Also, pls explain how the imams can be infallible? i understand the Prophet, but the imams? Lastly, what do i do to move to the shia sch of thought, i am so excited!..Mashallah & Alhamdulilahi.

Hajia.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Salam sister. Firstly dont be confused lol. Ok so lets go through some things:

Firstly intercession is not supplicating to any of the Imams or Ahlul Bayt and saying for example "O Imam Ali please do such and such". No thats not what it is about in fact that would be kufr i believe. Rather we believe that by saying "O Imam Ali please ask of Allah for such and such" it is a nice method of dua. Why? Yes you should pray to Allah direct and ask for whatever you want from him. But we believe that the Ahlul bayt were loved by Allah (swt) as were all the Prophets like Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Mohammad (pbuh) to them all. So just as angels for example ask forgiveness for men and women from Allah (swt), the Prophets and the Ahlul Bayt will do the same inshallah if you ask of them with sincerity. In other words they will aid you, just as the angels do, in asking Allah (swt). In fact it is well known even among sunnis in hadith that the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) would pray to Allah (swt) for people. Just because these pure and blessed family are no longer with us doesnt mean they are gone as the soul lives forever.

Secondly this issue of infallibilty. Infallibility simply means pure. Now even in the Quran it says the Ahlul Bayt (as) were purified. Now the argument Shia have put foreward is this. The Prophets and the Imams would have all been infallible. Why? Because if they were sinful, or sinned then how can they have been an example for other to follow. All the sahabi and all the followers would look to their every move, their every word, their every action, their every prayer and supplication, and their way of life as a role model or benchmark on how THEY should live. If a Prophet or Imam wasnt a devoted follower of Allah (swt) and sinned, then others would pick up these sins from them and think they were doing good things! It doesnt make sense really. Prophet Abraham, Jesus, Moses, Mohammad and all the other prophets were rolemodels as were the Ahlyl Bayt (as) . After the Prophet (pbuh) died people depended on successors so they could be guided. Yazid ibn Muawiyah was crowned Amir ul Mumeneen. As in he was the state's official example for Muslims to follow! Imam Hussayn (as) on the other hand was the real example to follow. A man that was pure, and whose guidance would lead you to Jannah, and not a man like Yazid whose immitation and corrupt rule would lead to Hellfire.

Thirdly sister. Shia and Sunni are both Muslims. I am Shia, and very proud to be one. Yet I also pray with Sunnis at a Sunni masjid (we dont have a shia masjid but that ok). You dont have to do anything to become Shia. You may call yourself a Shia at anytime sister :) . The point has always been that people like Imam Ali, Imam Hassan, Imam Hussayn, Imam Zain Al abedin, Imam Jafar and all the 12 imams (as) had so much to teach. It is a shame that people will not take head of their teaching. For example the beautiful dua book Sahifa Sajjadiya,written by Imam Zain Al Abedin (Imam Hussayns son) who alhamdullilah by the will of Allah (swt) survived Karbala and lived to teach the people before he too was assasinated, is full of wonderful supplications that ultimately will help you in your path inshallah to Jannah. These teachings were given by the Prophets household only to guide Muslims closer to Allah (swt). It would be a shame to miss out on the opportunity they gave.

Oh and this thing about the grave. This is a common thing our sunni brothers try to point at. Well actually no one 'worships' graves or 'idolises' them. That is ridiculous. I went myself this summer to Imam Ridha (as) shrine in Mashad. A beautiful masjid. I went by his shrine, prayed surah Ya seen, payed my respects, and left. Novody does anything else. You go there, pray some duas and quran. Pray jamaat in the masjid. Thats it. Just as we visit out loved ones graves and pray for them, we pay our respects to the prophets beloved family. It is tragic when for example Imam Hussayns shrine was damaged and ransacked in the 19th century by a Wahhabi army. What would the prophet (pbuh) stand and say to those people that did this. Would he say "well done you levelled my beloved grandsons grave". I dont think so. Its all about showing respect, and paying respects. Remembering the sacrifices that others made so we could benefit. Ultimately Imam Hussayn (as) and the other imams who one by one were killed by the ruling Caliphs at the time, gave their life so we could see what a true Muslim acts like. We could see the true example by which to live by. So these people were no ordinary neighboorhood people, they were people who were truly beautiful and blessed by Allah (swt) yet so humble enough in their simplicty.

Also bear in mind that Abu Bakr, Umar and The Prophet (pbuh) have all been built shrines in medina. Pilgrims are encouraged to go and pay salutations. Was the prophets family not loved by him so much so as to deserve a place where people can pay their respects equally like that instead of a barren graveyard.

Edited by yahossein

• Advanced Member

In regards to salvation; is Islam like Christianity where you have an intercessor? Also, does Islam teach assured salvation, or is it a constant work in progress?

Just wondering what these questions have to do with "soul searching"? Can the soul be found in the answers to these?