Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

23 days left to Ghadir

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

A translation of the Book: "23 Days with Ghadir", written by Dr: Adnan Derakhshan.

In this book a day-by-day account of the events which happenned 23 days from the Eid of Ghadir until the Eid of Ghadir have been accounted.

Every day the events of the corresponding date will be translated and uploaded in a new topic.

Only 23 days left to the Eid of Ghadir, the Greatest Eid of Allah [1]

Saturday, 25th of Zilqadah, year 10 (After Hejrah, A.H)

27th of February, 632 (A.D)

It is Medina here. It has been a few days now that by his orders, the news of the Prophets (pbuh) Haj is being heralded in the streets and Bazaars[2]. Not just the people of Medina but also the people of other towns and near places have become aware of this news. Many people will accompany the Prophet (pbuh) in this pilgrimage which will be his first and last.

Now the great caravan of Haj is setting off towards Mecca whilst being led by Gods most outstanding being. With his orders, everyone has brought with them the cloth of Ihram[3]. The Prophet (pbuh) himself has performed Ghusl[4] and is guiding the caravan.

Those accompanying the caravan have the privilege of travelling with Fatimah, Imam Hasan and Imam Hossein (as).

The great caravan of Haj with a population numbering more than 70,000 people [5], some riding and others on foot, leaves Medina. After travelling about seven kilometers the caravan stops at a place called 'Dhol hulayfa' also known as 'Abar Ali' which means 'the wells of Ali (as)'[6]. Nowadays this place is known as 'the Mosque of the tree' (masjid ul-shajarah). The prophet ordered everyone to put on their Ihram and continue with their journey. A journey in which they would learn how to perform Haj and would find out that God will leave for them an illuminating light to show them the path of guidance after the prophet.

[1] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 95, p. 302

[2] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 37, p. 202

[3] The white cloth worn by those who want to perform Haj.

[4] A special kind of washing the body.

[5] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 37, p. 202

[6] In this place many wells were dug by Imam Ali (as).

• Advanced Member

It has been suggested that each day be posted in a new post and not a separate thread so I'll post the rest of the days here.

Only 22 days left to the divine Eid of Ghadir

Sunday, 26th of Zilqadah, year 10 (After Hejrah, A.H)

24th of February, 632 (A.D)

Today Medina is sad because its beloved companions have departed from it. All of the Prophet's illuminated Ahlul-bayt have accompanied the Prophet (pbuh) to go to the farewell Haj (hajjat ul-wida'). The only one of them absent is the leader of the faithful Ali (as). It is some time now that a special herald has gone to Yemen with the Prophets message to ask Ali (as) to join him at Mecca. Ali was a few months earlier sent to Yemen by the Prophet (pbuh) for some affairs.

The Prophet (pbuh) has orders from God to bring people out of ignorance regarding the rituals of Hajj so that it would be performed in a way that He would be satisfied… But the Prophet also has a more important order and that is to announce publicly, that to whom, the leadership (imamah) and wilayah of his nation (ummah) will be transferred to, because surely like now the future will also need a divine heavenly leader.

Twenty two days from now, the Prophet (pbuh) will announce to the great crowd which has gathered at the Ghadir of Khum:

"Oh people, this is the last time that I will stand in this gathering so listen, obey and submit to your Lord's orders… By the order of Allah, after me Ali (as) has authority over you and is your Imam and after him the Imamat (leadership) will belong to my descendants from his children, till the day you meet Allah -Glorified Be His Name- and His messenger [1]."

[1] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 37, p. 208

• Advanced Member

Only 21 days left to Eid Allah al-Akbar

Monday, 27th of Zilqadah, year 10 (After Hejrah, A.H)

25th of February, 632 (A.D)

Today the caravan reached ergho ul-dhobih. It then had a small stop at Roha and then continued on its way to Monsaraf where the afternoon prayers were performed. The pilgrims then stopped at Mota'asha for the night prayers and also had supper. They then set off again to continue their journey towards Mecca [1].

The Prophet's (pbuh) first and last Hajj which was started at Medina would come to an end at Ghadir by the heavenly revelations [2] of God's order to the His messenger to announce the Guardian and Leader after himself:

"Oh messenger, announce what has been sent down to you by your Lord and if you don't you will have not proclaimed His message… [3]"

What important message must be conveyed that if not announced, Islam will be left incomplete and it is as if the Prophet (pbuh) has not conveyed God's message and all of the Prophet's (pbuh) sufferings and efforts in these twenty five years would be in vain?

We will travel with this caravan to find the answer…

[1] al-Amini, al-Ghadir, vol. 1, p. 9-10

[2] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 37, p. 206

[3] Quran 5:67

• Advanced Member

Only 20 days left to the merry Eid of Ghadir

Tuesday, 28th of Zilqadah, year 10 (After Hejrah, A.H)

26th of February, 632 (A.D)

Today the pilgrims performed their morning prayer in Asaya then set off towards Arj. Amir ul-moemenin Ali (as) is still absent from this caravan. By the orders of the Prophet (pbuh), Ali (as) had gone to Yemen with a group of the Muslims to resolve their conflicts and to teach them Islam's divine laws. Now that the Prophet's (pbuh) herald has reached him, he is on his way to Mecca while being accompanied by a few soldiers.

Sixteen months earlier when the Prophet (pbuh) had left Medina [1] to lead the battle of Tabook Ali (as) wasn't accompanying him. In those days the disorders (Fitnas) caused by the hypocrites (munafiqin) had prompted the prophet to leave Medina in the hands of his only daughter's husband –the Lion of Allah (asadullah)- while he set off towards Tabook. When the hypocrites saw that their plans had been neutralized, they spread bad rumors that the Prophet (pbuh) didn't want to take Ali (as) with him because he couldn't bear him. By hearing these rumors the champion of Islam -Ali (as)- came to the Prophet (as) and told him about what he had heard. The Prophet (pbuh) answered:

"Will you not be satisfied that you have the same relationship towards me that Aaron (as) had towards Moses (as) except that there is no Prophet after me"[2]

Ali must stay in Medina, for without him medina is like a ship without a captain which will sink in the storm of the events that would occur. The hypocrites and the Jews had created an alliance to destroy Islam once and for all… Who will protect Islam from these people when the Prophet (pbuh) passes away?

[1] This happened in the month of Rajab, 9th year A.H.

[2] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 37, p. 267

• Advanced Member

The "greatest of eids?"

Certainly, Eid ul-Ghadeer is worthy of remembrance and celebration for us, but to say it is the greatest of eids seems to me to be borderline ghluww.

Yes, imamate is a root of our faith, but imamate is secondary in role to the religion as a whole. Imams serve a role: to protect and build on the work of the Prophet, to protect the religion of Islam, its practices, its holy book, and its general spiritual and ethical principles. The imams are key only to the extent that they serve this greater purpose. The prophet taught the eids of Fitr and Adha. Those are the great eids. As a secondary matter, we honor the imams who guarded these greater eids and the other practices and beliefs of Islam by commemorating Ghadir. To come at it in the way you suggest gets things backwards.

EDIT: That said, please continue with the historical recounting.

Edited by kadhim

The "greatest of eids?"

Certainly, Eid ul-Ghadeer is worthy of remembrance and celebration for us, but to say it is the greatest of eids seems to me to be borderline ghluww.

Yes, imamate is a root of our faith, but imamate is secondary in role to the religion as a whole. Imams serve a role: to protect and build on the work of the Prophet, to protect the religion of Islam, its practices, its holy book, and its general spiritual and ethical principles. The imams are key only to the extent that they serve this greater purpose. The prophet taught the eids of Fitr and Adha. Those are the great eids. As a secondary matter, we honor the imams who guarded these greater eids and the other practices and beliefs of Islam by commemorating Ghadir. To come at it in the way you suggest gets things backwards.

This is not true, the most central aspect of religion is leadership...

If you think about Islam, it means submit...

And how to follow and submit is via leadership....

How does society submit to God, it's via a proper leadership...

How will one properly Worship God, is via leadership..

How will one move towards God, via leadership...

etc...

So I would say hands down it's the most important Eid...and the one the Umma would have benefit most with realizing the Grace of God in it and celebrating it.

• Advanced Member

etc...

So I would say hands down it's the most important Eid...and the one the Umma would have benefit most with realizing the Grace of God in it and celebrating it.

That's food for thought, and an interesting perspective I will reflect on. Offhand, however, I would probably respond that no, the most central apsect of religion is drawing near to God.

Leadership is a means to helping people reach that end, but it is still only a means.

I think you've made a case for considering Eid ul Ghadeer on par with the two Eids. All three celebrate means to getting close to God: Fasting, pilgrimmage, and good leadership. But the greatest? I think you need to work harder to justify that. I do have confidence however that you have it in you to explain. I look forward to it.

Salam

It's a means and the destination as well, and the goal.

"Your Master is only the Light(, and light, and light)" (5:55). So what is your only Master? the Light What is the Leader of all humans? the Light.. This is what 5:55 means to me.

Ghadeer Speech, hadith thaqalain, showed how to hold on to this light and firmest handhold...

We are mixed with falsehood and truth, we don't know. Soceity doesn't know what laws to follow, what to adhere to...

The Messenger came with the light, brought down the light, and showed the light and light and light... His acts were revelation, his speaking was revelation, it was all revealing the light brought down.

Society needs to collectively ahdere to this light and believe in it's judgment, and rule by it...

All acts to have value are by this light... It's meaning is through this light...

When the Eternal Light and it's descent, is said not to seperate from whom God sees as the true family of Mohammad (pbuh), this leadership and it's adherance to, and gaining more from, not only becomes a means but an end.

Our traveling is towards this Leadership, this is why Ali (as) is said to the Kaba of faith.

So in reality, it's the Goal of Hajj. And it's the means of Inward Hajj and it's goal. And it's the means and goal of the society movement from darkness to light.

It also is the true way of exalting God, acknowledging the travelled to and the means, and fully given due to his glory, at each stage, and totaly submission and adherence to, knowing it's not seperate from God's Eternal Speech which is but Himself, at all stages, from the Ouward to the Inward, is of the highest ways of knowing oneself, appreciating one's existence, utmost gratefulness, and exaltation of God through that.

Knowledge of the perfect Servants of God is the means of knowledge to God and the means of closeness to God. They point to the right way, and the reverse what has been brought low, and bring down what has been brought high. It points us to God the right way. It destroys the Firon within, and established the Taha within, declaring "you are the highest, rise above your enemies by me, for there is no higness but my highness and no glory but Me".

So the "mercy out of lowliness", is truly in it's inward, out of "highness", and those wanting "highness in the earth", are really gaining nothing but disgrace and lowliness in reality.

So the Khalifate of TaHa, embraces all beings, as every thing has a tayeb and guiding aspect seeking the truth, that is none but Allah, and TaHa is Allah, he is the Good, the Pure, and the Guide, and it is Mohammad (pbuh) and it is Ali (as), and it is the light within in all, the blessed pure treasures that are the remaining face of God, and Baqiyatallah (as) is better for us if we are believers... And what remains with God is his face, and his face is his light, and there was never anymore light, nor can there be more light, the light of all light, the Blessed, the Great, the Owner of all majesty...

The Deen is Wilayah, the means is Wilayah, the Destination is Wilayah, the Society Goal is Wilayah, the Invidual goal is Wilayah, the means to all happiness is Wilayah, and the happiness is Wilayah of Ali (as) itself, it's the light, the Glory, the Majesty, the Goodness, the beauty, that brings happiness, and Hassan (as) is "The Good", and Hussain (as) is "The beautiful".

Nothing compares to this day, and no where is "Eid" mentioned but in Suratal Maeeda at the end, and the whole flow of it, from completion of Deen, to Twelve Naqeebs, to Ruling by revelation, and other talks relevant, all flows well with Wilayah...and Eid is also not randomly mentioned...

If food from the heavens is some Eid, that what of all foods, all treasures sought, all being brought down to us and we being able to eat of it till the day of judgment and drink from the Kawthar by it's keepers and it's leaders, and it's cup givers, and it's very drink, the Ahlebayt (as)....

There is nothing more focused on appreciating the Lordship of God, the Light of God, the destination of the travelling, the means, the goal, the peace, and the Greatest favor and most Greatest Mercy which he calls mankind to, (ie. being favored by God's Name and Light and Complete Surah), then celebrating eidal Ghadeer.

I hope I didn't bore you, and I hope I met your expectation and my understanding of the Centralness of Leadership of the Light and instances of the light, Quran and Ahlebayt (as), Ali (as) Mastership being Mohammad (pbuh) Mastership, and the blessed containers of the Mastership (his family) not seperation of Eternal Name of God (Quran) till they come back to the Eternal name of God (Mohammad) at the Eternal Name of God (The Kawthar).

I hope you understand what I mean by these words.

wa salam

Edited by Awakened
  • Advanced Member
The "greatest of eids?"

Salam,

Here are a few of the narrations I've come upon. Hope it helps:

I asked Imam al-Sadiq (as): "Do the Muslims have an Eid other than the day of Friday and al-Adhha and Fitr?" He answered: "Yes, and more respected (Holy) than those". I said: "May I be sacrificed for you, which Eid is that?" He answered: "The day that the messenger of Allah (pbuh) installed Amir-almo'mineen (as) and said 'He that I am his Mowla Ali (as) is his mowla." I said: "Which day is that?" He answered: "… It is the eighteenth of dhil hajjah." I said: "What shall we do in that day?" He said: "Remembering Allah in that day by fasting and worshipping and remembering Mohammad and his Family (pbuh). The messenger of Allah (pbuh) advised Amir-almo'mineen (as) to adopt that day as an Eid and likewise the other messengers of Allah used to order their vasi (heirs) the same thing and they would adopt it as an Eid." [1]

The messenger of Allah (pbuh) said: "The day of Ghadir of Khum is the greatest Eid of my nation (ummah)." [2]

Imam Sadiq (as) said: "The day of Ghadir is the greatest of Eids." [3]

Imam Sadiq (as) said: "The day of Ghadir is the greatest Eid of Allah." [4]

[1] al-Kulaini, al-Kafi, vol. 4, p. 194. Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 37, p. 172. Al-Ameli, Vasail ul-Shia, vol. 10, p. 440.

[2] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 37, p. 109. Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 94, p. 110. Seyyed ibn Tavous, al-Iqbal, p. 466. Al- Saduq, al-amaali, p. 125.

[3] Al-Saduq, Al-Khisal, vol. 2, p. 394. Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 56, p. 26. Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 94, p. 110.

[4] Al-Toosi, Al-Tazhib, vol. 3, p. 143. Al-Ameli, Vasail ul-Shia, vol. 8, p. 89 also vol. 10, p. 442. Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 30, p. 368, vol. 31, p. 127, vol. 37, p. 156, vol. 95, p. 302, vol. 95, p. 321, vol. 95, p. 354.

Edited by hadez803
  • Advanced Member

Only 19 days left to the Eid of ‘Perfection of Religion’ [1]

Wednesday, 29th of Zilqadah, year 10 (After Hejrah, A.H)

27th of February, year 632 (A.C)

On the fifth day of their journey, the great caravan led by the Prophet (pbuh) has arrived at Soqiya. Currently, all citizens of Medina and places near it (except the ones who could not accompany the prophet because of bad health) are with Him.

Ten years earlier, on the first days of the month of Rabiul-avval in the first year A.H., when Islam’s enemies dominated the Arab sub-continent and the followers of The Truth were small in number; the Prophet (pbuh) had traveled the way between Mecca and Medina with only a few followers. But now, only from Medina, more than seventy thousand people are accompanying their compassionate leader.

The memory of that unforgettable night, laylatul-mabeet (the night of sleeping), is still fresh; the night in which Amir-almo'mineen (as) slept in the sleeping place of the Prophet (pbuh) to demolish the plans of the enemies to save the life of the Prophet (pbuh). This event marked the beginning of the Islamic calendar.

That night, when Imam Ali (pbuh), with an immeasurable sincerity, put his being in danger for the sake of saving that of the prophet (pbuh), he succeeded in gaining the honor of the heavens and earth. For this is what was descended from Allah[2]:

And among men there is one who gives his life to gain the pleasure of Allah, and Allah is affectionate to (His) servants.” [3]

<br clear="all"> [1] See the Holy Quran 5:3

[2] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 36, p. 40-51. Ahmed Hanbal, Musnad, vol. 1, p. 348

[3] Holy Quran 2:207

• Forum Administrators

(salam)

I'm going to have to agree with kadhim, the two great eids are Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adh'ha. The day of Ghadeer is important and has great historical relevance in this sect, and it is great to recall the events of that day and make du'a for the Imam (as), but it does not hold the same rank as the other two Eids. History and people are what made Eid al-Ghadeer a celebration, not the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh), and to say that it is the greatest Eid is ghuloo.

But yes, please keep posting, this is all great information and jazakallahu khayr for posting all of this. I am enjoying it and hope Allah blesses you infinitely for it.

Edited by Qa'im

(salam)

I'm going to have to agree with kadhim, the two great eids are Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adh'ha. The day of Ghadeer is important and has great historical relevance in this sect, and it is great to recall the events of that day and make du'a for the Imam (as), but it does not hold the same rank as the other two Eids. History and people are what made Eid al-Ghadeer a celebration, not the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh), and to say that it is the greatest Eid is ghuloo.

But yes, please keep posting, this is all great information and jazakallahu khayr for posting all of this. I am enjoying it and hope Allah blesses you infinitely for it.

will just say briefly if people keep thinking Eidal Ghadeer is about Ali (as) as an individual, then we never going to get anywhere...

Edited by Awakened
  • Advanced Member
I'm going to have to agree with kadhim, the two great eids are Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adh'ha. The day of Ghadeer is important and has great historical relevance in this sect, and it is great to recall the events of that day and make du'a for the Imam as.gif, but it does not hold the same rank as the other two Eids. History and people are what made Eid al-Ghadeer a celebration, not the Prophet Muhammed pbuh.gif, and to say that it is the greatest Eid is ghuloo.

The same people (i.e the Prophet and his ahlulbayt (pbuh)) who informed us about the greatness of Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adh'ha also informed us that Eid al-ghadir is greater than these two. If you think Eid of Ghadir was made by History then please read the 4 narrations I mentioned in post #10. I can post more narrations if you request me to. If you disagree you probably have seen narrations that say the opposite. If so please enlighten us by showing us these narrations. I think the only reason that some people think that Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adh'ha are greater than Eid of Ghadir is that a majority of Muslims (i.e. the sunnis) have this belief and they don't even count Eid of Ghadir as an Eid because it contradicts the basis of their beliefs.

• Advanced Member

Only 18 days left to The Eid of Wilayah [1]

Thursday, 30th of Dhil-qadah, year 10 (After Hejrah, A.H)

28th of February, year 632 (A.D)

Today is the last day of the month of Dhil-qadah and the hajj caravan going from Medina to Mecca has reached a place called Abva'e. This land refreshes bad memories for the Prophet (pbuh). About 57 years ago when the orphan child of Abdullah (pbuh) was returning from Yathreb with his mother from His father's grave, it was in this place that his mother passed away. And while only six springs had passed from the birthday of the Prophet (pbuh), he had to live with the burden of losing His mother as well.

All this sorrow was very unpleasant but Mohammad al-Amin (the trustee) always had God with Him and God's kindness never parted from Him:

"(Oh Prophet) did he (Allah) not find you an orphan and give you shelter [2]"

Now after years, that orphan is ending twenty-three years of messenger-ship. God has ordered him to go to Mecca and announce the last messages of God; A message that no one but he could announce.

Will Allah leave the Islamic community without a leader and protector in the absence of the Prophet (pbuh), who is like a kind father to the Muslims? Will He leave them alone and without a guardian, like powerless orphans in the deserts of bewilderment? Never!

"Ali and I are the fathers of this ummah (nation) [3]"

Yes, in the absence of the Prophet (pbuh), the commander of the believers -Ali (as) – will lead the caravan of guidance to the residence of salvation. Even though Allah the Merciful, has summoned his prophet to paradise, he will leave Ali, Fatimah, Hassan, Hossein … and Mahdi (PBUT) for the people on earth. Today the captain of the ship of guidance and salvation is the promised Mahdi (AJTF). He is the kind father of the believers and the guider of the nations:

"Peace be upon the guider of the nations [4]"

[1] Wilayah means having authority over others.

[2] Quran 93:6

[3] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 16, p. 95, vol. 23, p. 259

[4] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 99, p. 101. AL-Qumi, Mafatih ul-jinan, Ziarat of Imam Mahdi, p. 529

Edited by hadez803
  • Forum Administrators

(salam)

The same people (i.e the Prophet and his ahlulbayt (pbuh)) who informed us about the greatness of Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adh'ha also informed us that Eid al-ghadir is greater than these two. If you think Eid of Ghadir was made by History then please read the 4 narrations I mentioned in post #10. I can post more narrations if you request me to. If you disagree you probably have seen narrations that say the opposite. If so please enlighten us by showing us these narrations. I think the only reason that some people think that Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adh'ha are greater than Eid of Ghadir is that a majority of Muslims (i.e. the sunnis) have this belief and they don't even count Eid of Ghadir as an Eid because it contradicts the basis of their beliefs.

Thanks brother, I will just need to know the rating of the isnad of those ahadith. You around, Jondab? ;)

• Advanced Member

etc...

I agree with you....this is the reason Eid e gadir is also called Eid e Akbar

• Advanced Member

well it makes me wonder how does ummah in 2009 lost leadership?

it means one leader must be present all the time...if imam is hidden there must be some one in his absence

Edited by shoelace
  • Advanced Member

Just a suggestion for future, when you want to post something of the sort.

Given that this is an open site with a broad range of people, and that one of the purposes of the site is to dispell misconceptions, then if you're going to post an extraordinary claim like this one, don't just list some ahadith as justification for it, but give some rational justification as well to help explain where you're coming from.

Because for most Muslims, as you say, the notion that Dhul Hijjah 18 is even an Eid is in question, so to say it's not only an eid, but the greatest of them requires some explanation.

After all, I'm Shia, I'm familiar with the eid, and I had a strong reaction to this. Imagine someone from outside.

With Awakened's explanation, I'm still not sure about it, but I feel more comfortable about the claim now that a reasoned argument has been brought forward to justify the notion.

Edited by kadhim
  • Advanced Member

Salam brother,

Just a suggestion for future, when you want to post something of the sort.

Given that this is an open site with a broad range of people, and that one of the purposes of the site is to dispell misconceptions, then if you're going to post an extraordinary claim like this one, don't just list some ahadith as justification for it, but give some rational justification as well to help explain where you're coming from.

I agree to some extent to what you say, but, Although this is an open site do remember I have posted in the Prophets and Ahlulbayt sub-Forum, not in other sub-Forums created specially for discussing subjects which people from other sects and religions or shia disagree on. The thread I created was never intended for this purpose. Although I have given references for my claims I never expected to see a fellow Shia brother questioning the fact that the Eid of Ghadir is the greatest of Eids. What surprised me more is that you think this claim is an "extraordinary claim". I am willing to create a completely new thread to discuss this subject thoroughly. I am sure we will both be enlightened and learn new things from each other. :angel:

Because for most Muslims, as you say, the notion that Dhul Hijjah 18 is even an Eid is in question, so to say it's not only an eid, but the greatest of them requires some explanation.

As i said brother this thread was written for Shias in mind. Just because the majority of muslims disagree it dosnt mean it is not a fact. The majority of Muslims also disagree that Imam Ali is the successor of the Prophet (pbuh) and Imam Mahdi even exists but their beliefs does not oblige me to first prove these facts then speak about them when I am speaking to a Shia audience who already have these beliefs. I thought the narrations I mentioned were enough as an explanation But here is a very simple one (Please note that I am speaking with you as a Shia):

The five pillars of Islam are: Salat, Zikah, Fasting, Hajj and Wilayah. The most important one is Wilayah (I hope you agree with this) which sunnis don't even accept as being a pillar of Islam . Now:

Eid al-Fitr is associated with Fasting.

Eid al-Adh'ha is associated with Hajj.

Eid of Ghadir is associated with wilayah.

It is more rational that the Eid associated with the most important pillar is greater than the other Eids. In this case being Eid of Ghadir. Do you agree?

After all, I'm Shia, I'm familiar with the eid, and I had a strong reaction to this. Imagine someone from outside.

With Awakened's explanation, I'm still not sure about it, but I feel more comfortable about the claim now that a reasoned argument has been brought forward to justify the notion.

Maybe the strong reaction is because you were brought up in a different society that I was? Any way Inshallah God guides us both by the Hands of Amir ulmomeneen.

P.S. Feel free to ask any questions and to question any of my claims.B)

Edited by hadez803
  • Advanced Member

Only 17 days left to the Completion of Allah's blessings [1]

Friday, 1st of Dhil-hajjah, year 10 A.H

March 1st, year 632 A.D

On the seventh day of their journey from Medina to Mecca, the caravan, by passing Johfa and Ghadir-e-Khom, heads towards Ghodayd. Johfa being 156 km from Mecca is the place that pilgrims from Egypt and Syria meet. Approximately three kilometers from this place towards Mecca, Ghadir-e-Khom is located, which has in it a small beautiful lake, shaded by ancient trees.

Johfa is the crossroads between Medina, Iraq and Egypt. It was in this place that a year ago, Amir-almo'mineen Ali (as) reached Abubakr and told him that his mission to announce the verses of bara'ah [2] had been cancelled. By the order of Prophet (pbuh), he then told Abubakr to return to Medina. When the first verses of the Surah of Bara'ah(Tobah) were revealed, the Prophet (pbuh) was ordered from God to announce these verses to the mushrekeen (polytheists) in the hajj ceremony and give them their final notice. At first, this mission was given to Abubakr because the mushrekeen did not have any hatred towards him and because some of his friends insisted that he must do this job. So he was sent to Mecca accompanied by a group of forty people. A little time after they set off towards Mecca Gabriel (as) descended to the Prophet (pbuh) and brought him the message of God:

"This mission must only be accomplished by the Prophet (peace be upon Him) or someone who is from him [3]."

So Amir-almo'mineen Ali (as), who as the Quran says is the soul of the Prophet (pbuh) [4], was assigned to announce these verses to the mushrekeen himself. Once again, the land of Johfa witnessed the excellence and superiority of Abu-torab (pbuh) over the other Moslems. And so on the tenth of Dhil-hajjah of the ninth year after Hejrah, Amir-almo'mineen Ali (as) read out the following verses in the Aghaba of Jamara in Mina:

"Freedom from obligation (is proclaimed) from Allah and His messenger towards those of the idolators with whom you made a treaty [5]."

[1] Quran 5:3

[2] The first verses of Surah of Tobah

[3] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 35, p. 284-313. Ahmed Hanbal, Musnad, vol. 3, p. 212.

[4] Quran 3:61

[5] Quran 9:1 (Translated by Pictal)

• Advanced Member

[1] al-Kulaini, al-Kafi, vol. 4, p. 194. Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 37, p. 172. Al-Ameli, Vasail ul-Shia, vol. 10, p. 440.

[2] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 37, p. 109. Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 94, p. 110. Seyyed ibn Tavous, al-Iqbal, p. 466. Al- Saduq, al-amaali, p. 125.

[3] Al-Saduq, Al-Khisal, vol. 2, p. 394. Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 56, p. 26. Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 94, p. 110.

[4] Al-Toosi, Al-Tazhib, vol. 3, p. 143. Al-Ameli, Vasail ul-Shia, vol. 8, p. 89 also vol. 10, p. 442. Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 30, p. 368, vol. 31, p. 127, vol. 37, p. 156, vol. 95, p. 302, vol. 95, p. 321, vol. 95, p. 354.

^All these narrations are weak in sanad.

w/s

• Advanced Member
What surprised me more is that you think this claim is an "extraordinary claim".

I've been studying this path through books, lectures, conferences, etc for close to 8 years. This is the first time I have heard such a claim.

I seriously don't think this notion is as widely known as you might believe. Therefore, even among Shias, I think the point requires some justification when it is presented.

I am willing to create a completely new thread to discuss this subject thoroughly. I am sure we will both be enlightened and learn new things from each other.

No, I don't think that's necessary. Awakened has done a pretty decent job in picking up the slack. The clarification that the Eid should be considered to be such a high status not because of a commemoration of the specific historical event, but because of a commemoration of the general principle of wilayah was quite helpful in demonstrating that the notion can be rationally supported, that it's not just a matter of "some random ahadith said so."

The five pillars of Islam are: Salat, Zikah, Fasting, Hajj and Wilayah.

This conceptualization is more well known amongst the community, but I'll caution that this conceptualization is not so well known, for example, as the 5 usool ud din (tawhid, adalat, nuboowat, imamat, ma'ad) and the ten furoo (salat, sawm, hajj, zakat, khums, jihad, tawalla, tabarra, amr bil ma'roof, nahi a'nil munkar).

• Advanced Member
I've been studying this path through books, lectures, conferences, etc for close to 8 years. This is the first time I have heard such a claim.

I seriously don't think this notion is as widely known as you might believe. Therefore, even among Shias, I think the point requires some justification when it is presented.

I would really like to believe you but I cant :P . I cant believe that -you as a shis- after 8 years of research and reading all those books you have never in your life read the section In mafatih ul-Jinan about the Eid of Ghadir and you simply tell me this is the first time you have heard such a claim:

Mafatih ul-Jinan, Section on the deeds of 18th of dhil-Hajjah, Eid of Ghadir:

"The eighteenth day: This is the day of the Eid of Ghadir, The greatest Eid of Allah (eid ullah al-akbar), theEid of Mohammads Family (Ale Muhammad) and the greatest of Eids. Allah has not sent any of his messengers except that they had adopted this day as an Eid and they had respected it. Its name in the heavens is the 'pledged covenant' (ahde ma'hood) and on earth as the 'taken oath' (mithaq ul-makhooz) and the 'watching gathering' (jam mashhood). It has been narrated by Imam sadiq (as) that someone asked him: "Do the Muslims have an Eid other than the day of Friday and al-Adhha and Fitr?" He answered: "Yes, and more respected (Holy) than those". I said: "May I be sacrificed for you, which Eid is that?" He answered: "The day that the messenger of Allah (pbuh) installed Amir-almo'mineen (as) and said 'He that I am his Mowla Ali (as) is his mowla." I said: "Which day is that?" He answered: "… It is the eighteenth of dhil hajjah." I said: "What shall we do in that day?" He said: "Remembering Allah in that day by fasting and worshipping and remembering Mohammad and his Family (pbuh). The messenger of Allah (pbuh) advised Amir-almo'mineen (as) to adopt that day as an Eid and likewise the other messengers of Allah used to order their vasi (heirs) the same thing and they would adopt it as an Eid." In another narration he said:...(I'm skipping these parts because althogh important are not relevant to our discussion)...By Allah if people knew the excellence of this day as they should have the angels would shake hands with them (mosafehe) (i.e. greet them) ten times in each day....the author of the mafatih then continues on and after a few more lines tells of the deeds that should be performed in this day.

Now pay attention to what He says about Eid of al-adha: The tenth day (of dhil-hajja): This is the day of Eid of Al-adha it is a very respected day and these are the deeds that must be performed in this day one:..

This is what he writes for Eid ul-fitr: The first day (of shawwal) is the Eid of fitr and the deeds that must be performed in this day are like this one:...

How can I believe what you claim? You being a Shia have never read these parts of the Mafatih which clearly show that Eid of Ghadir is greater than the other eids? :squeez: :unsure:

No, I don't think that's necessary. Awakened has done a pretty decent job in picking up the slack. The clarification that the Eid should be considered to be such a high status not because of a commemoration of the specific historical event, but because of a commemoration of the general principle of wilayah was quite helpful in demonstrating that the notion can be rationally supported, that it's not just a matter of "some random ahadith said so."

Some random ahadith said so? Please show me the difference between a random and an un-random hadith. I will appreciate it :lol:.

• Advanced Member

Since when is identity as a Shia determined by whether one has memorized Mafatih' al-jinaan?

Since when is identity as a Shia determined by whether one regularly uses Mafatih' al-jinaan?

Why would someone who doesn't use Mafatih' al-jinaan regularly (opening the text up for every wafat and mawlad) open it up to read the entry for Eid Ghadir in detail if noone had ever bothered to mention to him that Eid Ghadir has an importance on par with or higher than Eid Fitr or Eid Adha?

Why would the average believer with family and job feel compelled to look that up if he has never been given any indication that it is to be considered as anything more than a minor, secondary eid?

Maybe this is one of those things they only say in Arabic or Persian at the community centers? Then again, even if not, why would I even be moved to go out to the community center for the occasion when no one has bothered to communicate that Eid Ghadir has any importance more than a minor, secondary eid?

If you're going to drop your akhlaq to the level of making baseless accusations and slander, this discussion is finished.

If you can't take some basic constructive criticism about how you go about posting things, this discussion is finished. I try to offer you a little basic advice, and you start to question my faith? What is this? What is your problem?

You're welcome to post a poll on the site to ask who has heard before of the notion that Ghadeer is "the greatest of eids."

Edited by kadhim
  • Advanced Member

Salam,

Sorry brother Kadhim If I offended you. I really didn't mean to do this :cry: . The only reason I brought up the Mafatih ul-Jinan thing is that I thought religious shias would usually use this book a lot for many occasions. Well seems like I was wrong. Remember What I said in my earlier post:

How can I believe what you claim? You being a Shia have never read these parts of the Mafatih which clearly show that Eid of Ghadir is greater than the other eids?

I never meant to accuse you of anything. It was just very surprising for me that you hadn't seen such a thing in Mafatih ul-Jinan. From your explanations I see that I was Wrong and I shouldn't have been surprised. As I said before and you confirmed now, maybe it is because of the different communities we were brought up in.

I see no reason to create a poll but from what you said I think I will create a thread inshallah to discuss this matter with others who have not heard about the Eid of Ghadeer being the greatest of Eids.

Anyway, I apologize if there were any misunderstandings and you thought I was questioning your faith or insulting you :wub:. I think its better that I continue with posting the remaining of the 23 days.

• Advanced Member

Only 16 days left to the Great Eid of the faithful

Saturday, 2nd of Dhil-hajjah, year 10 A.H

March 2nd, year 632 A.D

On the eighth day, the caravan of Hajjatol Vida'a (the farewell Hajj, the Last Hajj of the Prophet) reaches Ghodaid and camps there. Amir-ul-Mu'mineen (peace be upon Him) and His soldiers who had gone to Yemen and Najran to collect the zakah (Islamic taxes) and jezya (A tax which non-Muslims must pay) are on their way back to Mecca.

Najran, which is a Christian inhabited region at the border of Yemen and Hijaz, has stories to tell about the superiority of the Family of the Prophet (pbuh). A few months ago, a delegation of 60 Christians came to Medina because the Prophet (pbuh) had sent them a message to either become Muslims or pay Jezya (tax). Many discussions about different subjects were held between them but the Christian leaders did not accept to become Muslims. So the Prophet (pbuh) challenged them to a cursing ceremony (Mobahila). Consequently, it was agreed that the holiest from each group would meet in a place outside Medina and they would pray that God curse the group that is lying and that His torment should descend on that group:

"(Oh Prophet) say: come, let us call our sons and your sons and our women and your women and ourselves and yourselves, then let us pray with supplication and invoke the curse (La'n) of Allah on those who lie [1]."

The time of the cursing arrived and the stunned eyes of the Christians looked bewildered towards the Prophet (pbuh) who was calmly and confidently coming towards them while holding one child against his chest with an arm, and gripping another child's hand. Behind him was a woman and following them was her glorious husband, the man of worship and war. Truly, how much belief does the Prophet (pbuh) have in his prayer and challenge that he has brought with him his most beloved?

So it was like this that the Christians, afraid of being cursed, accepted to pay the jezya (tax), and it was in this verse that Amir-ul-Mu'mineen (peace be upon Him) was given the title of being "the soul (self) of the Prophet (peace be upon Him)[2]".

[1] Quran 3:61

[2] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 25, p.223.

• Advanced Member

Only 15 days left to the Eid of Allahs Messengers and their successors[1]

Sunday, 3rd of Dhil-hajjah, year 10 A.H

March 3rd , year 632 A.D

At the ninth day of the journey of Hajjatol Vida'a (the Last Hajj) the Prophet's (pbuh) caravan reaches Osphan.

The Prophet, (pbuh) accompanied by seventy thousand people, is confidently continuing his journey to fulfill the last orders of Allah. His mission is to teach the Moslems the right way to perform the Hajj ceremony; its compulsory rituals (wajibat ) and its recommended rituals (mostahabbat). He also has orders to announce the Wilayah and imamah, as well as introducing his successor. These are the last days of the Prophets life.

Meanwhile, Amir-almo'mineen Ali (as) is on His way with his soldiers from Yemen to Mecca and He is very eager to meet the Prophet (pbuh).

The Prophet (pbuh) has said:

"The first person who comes to me at the Pond of Kowthar on Judgment Day is the same one who was the first to acknowledged Islam, Ali ibn Abi-taleb [2]."

Abuzar al-ghefari says, I heard the Prophet (pbuh) saying about Amir-almo'mineen Ali (as):

"Ali, is the first person that believed in me, the first person that acknowledged me, the first who will shake hands with me on Judgment Day. He is the greatest truthful person (al-seddiq al-akbar), the separator of this nation who will separate the right from the void and the right is always with you. He is the master (Yasoob) of the believers [3]."

The messenger of Allah (pbuh) said:

"O' Ali, if it weren't for you the believers would not be recognized after me [4]."

Yes, with Ali and the eleven Imams in his generation (as) the believers can be recognized from the non-believers. Because they have the knowledge of the Book and they are those who would testify that Islam is the right religion. They are the touchstone for the Prophet's religion. The true meanings of the Quran can be learned by their recitation and interpretation. He who finds his understanding of Islam in accordance with the sayings of the Imams has found the truth and he is the one who is on the safe path of Allah. And he, who does not accept their leadership, will be wandering, puzzled, on the path of blasphemy (kufr) and misguidance.

[1] al-Kulaini, al-Kafi, vol. 4, p. 194. Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 37, p. 172

[2] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 38, p.239

[3] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 22, p.424

[4] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 39, p.207

• Advanced Member

Only 14 days left to the Eid of the Ahlul-bayt of Muhammad (pbuh) [1]

Monday, 4th of Dhil-hajjah, year 10 A.H

March 4th, year 632 A.D

Today the caravan of the Prophet (pbuh) reached Marrozzahran and camped there until dark. At night, the caravan started its journey towards Saref which is the last camping place before Mecca .

It is now the tenth day that Medina is missing its companion. The beautiful Masjid un-Nabi (The mosque of the Prophet (pbuh)) has been dim and lusterless for ten days now, because neither the Prophet, nor Ali, nor Fatima, nor Hassan and neither Hossein (PBUT) have visited it.

Years ago, when the Prophet (pbuh) first entered Medina, He and His followers started to build a mosque, in which, at the present, the Prophet's (pbuh) holy tomb is placed. The northern part of the mosque was for prayers and worshipping and the southern terraces were resting places for the emigrants (Muhajereen) which had migrated with the Prophet (pbuh) from Mecca to Medina and had no home. It was also the sleeping place of the poor and poverty stricken Ansar (Helpers).

The Mosque of the Prophet (pbuh) was the shelter and resting place of about 400 of the needy and poor, who gradually gathered up their earnings to build a house by working or from public treasury (beytolmal) and war spoils (ghanaem).

Adjacent to this mosque, were the houses of the Muhajereen and Ansar who had made windows or doors from their houses into the Mosque. Gabriel (pbuh) descended and brought this message with Him:

"All the doors opening from adjacent houses into the mosque must be blocked except the door from Ali's house [2]."

A group of people objected to this and said things in protest. When the Prophet (peace be upon Him) heard this, He said:

"People, be acknowledged that I have got orders to block all doors from the houses of the Muhajereen and Ansar except the door from Ali's house. I have heard that some of you have said things (in protest). By God I did not close or open any doors because of my own will. I was ordered something and I obeyed it [3]."

[1] Seyyed ibn Tavoos, Iqbal ul-A'mal, p. 464

[2] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 39, p.19-35

[3] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 39, p.19. Al-hakim al-Neisabouri, Al-mustadrak, vol.3, p. 125

• Advanced Member

Only 13 days left to the Day of the Pledged Covenant [1]

Tuesday, 5th of Dhil-hajjah, year 10 A.H

March 5th, year 632 A.D

The caravan of the Prophet (pbuh) is near Mecca and there is only a little way left to the sanctuary. Amir-almo'mineen Ali (as) who cannot wait to see the Prophet (pbuh) gives the leadership of His soldiers to His deputies and catches up with the Prophet (pbuh) before He reaches Mecca. The Prophet (pbuh) asks Him: "With what intention (niah) did you wear your pilgrimage garb (ehram)?" He answers, "Because I did not know your intention I put on my garb with the same intention as yours."

The Prophet (pbuh) says, "Dear Ali, your duty in this Hajj is the same as mine… Now go back to your soldiers and come back with them quickly to meet me in Mecca [2]."

Ka'ba is desperately waiting for the arrival of the most superior guest that it will ever see until the Day of Judgment.

The caravan and its leader reach the sanctuary of Mecca. The chant of labaik ceases and Mecca embraces its awaited guest. The Prophet (pbuh) continues His way to Masjid-ul-Haram and enters the Mosque from the door of Bani Shaibah while praising Allah and blessing the Prophet Abraham (pbuh). The fortunate moments of Hajar-ul-Aswad, (the black stone) have arrived; Habibollah (The Friend of Allah, i.e. the Prophet) first strokes this heavenly rock with His hand, and then starts his tawaf (the ceremonial circulation of Ka'ba). After this, He prays behind magham-ul-Ibrahim (the Station of Abraham) then starts the ritual of Safa and Marvah; the same place that Hajar (Hagar) (as) had run back and forth years ago.

[1] Imam Sadiq (as) said: "...the name of the Eid of Ghadir is know in the heavens as the day of the pledged covenant…". Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 95, p.302

[2] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 21, p.384 & 392

• Advanced Member

Only 12 days left to The Day that Wilayah Was Presented to the Inhabitants of the Skies[1]

Wednesday, 6th of Dhil-hajjah, year 10 A.H

March 6th, year 632 A.D

It is the second day that the Prophet (pbuh) has resided in Mecca before He sets off to Arafat. Amir-almo'mineen Ali (as) has also arrived in Mecca and has finished performing the Hajj rituals. After meeting with the Prophet (pbuh), He goes back to His soldiers to lead them to Mecca. In His mission to Yemen, His duty was to collect the jezya (A tax that non-Muslims must pay) from the Christians of Najran. The Christians were supposed to give one thousand garments as their tax.

When Amir-almo'mineen (as) left his soldiers near Mecca, so that He could visit the Prophet (pbuh), He gave the garments to His deputy. However, when He returned to His soldiers He realized that the garments had been distributed between them and they had put them on as their pilgrimage garbs!

When Amir-almo'mineen Ali (as) sees this situation he cannot tolerate it and interrogates His deputy and asks him, why he has done so? The deputy answers:

"The soldiers insisted that I lend them these garments so that they could use them as pilgrimage garbs. They said that they would return them after the Hajj ceremony."

Amir-almo'mineen Ali (as) (pbuh) cannot accept this kind of behavior towards the beyt-ul-mal (public treasury) and He retrieves all of the garments from the soldiers and gives them to the Prophet (pbuh) in Mecca.

The soldiers, who are annoyed because of the justice of Amir-almo'mineen (as), go to the Prophet (pbuh) and start complaining. The Prophet (pbuh) becomes upset because of what the soldiers say and tells one of his followers to stand up between the soldiers and tell them his message:

"Stop complaining about Ali and keep your tongues in your mouths. Ali is fearless of conducting the orders of Allah and has no neglect towards religious matters [2]."

[1] Seyyed ibn Tavoos, Iqbal ul-A'mal, p. 465

[2] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 21, p.385

• Advanced Member

Only 11 days left to the Day Abraham Was Saved From Fire [1]

Thursday, 7th of Dhil-hajjah, year 10 A.H

March 7th, year 632 A.D

Mecca is still accommodating its honorable guest, a guest who is deep in thought about a mission, which he must accomplish. On one hand, he must carry out the rituals of Hajj one by one and familiarize the Muslims with its sacraments, and on the other hand, he must attend to his greatest and most crucial duty in this journey.

What has made the Prophet (pbuh) so anxious? What the does the Prophet (pbuh) fear that he senses danger concerning the destiny of his followers? Let us take a closer look and search amongst his companions to find the reason, which has distressed the Prophet (pbuh)!

We know that upon leaving Medina towards Mecca, the Prophet (pbuh) had more than sixty sacrifices with him and there were others too who had sacrifices with themselves.

By the Prophet's (pbuh) order, these people were to stay in Ihram after performing the Hajj ceremony in Mecca until they slaughtered the sacrifices in Mina. However, the duty of those who had not brought any sacrifice with them was also clear. They were to come out from Ihram after doing the Safa and Marvah rituals and then again wear the pilgrimage garb to leave for Arafat. This was their religious duty, which the Prophet (pbuh) had ordained.

Alas! There were ill-minded ones, who despite their Prophet's (pbuh) insistence, went their own imprudent way and opened their mouths in objection. As if, they had more knowledge about the laws of religion than the Prophet (pbuh) himself!

How will these ill-minded people submit to Allah's crucial orders regarding the successor of His messenger?

[1] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 95, p.323

[2] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 21, p.390

• Advanced Member

Only 10 days left to the day of joy and happiness [1]

Friday, 8th of Dhil-hajjah, year 10 A.H

March 8th, year 632 A.D

Today is the day of Tarviah. "Tarviah" means storing water. The reason this day is called the day of Tarviah is that the pilgrims must store water in this day to use in Arafat, Mash'ar-ul-Haram and the special rituals of Mina. This is a tradition originating from the Hajj of Abraham (pbuh). He had been commanded by Gabriel to take water with him to perform the Arafat, Mash'ar and Mina rituals [2]. It was in this particular day that the Prophet (pbuh) and all his companions left Mecca for Arafat by the way of Mina.

The Prophet (pbuh) had brought sixty animals for sacrifice with him from Dhil Holaifa, the same place where he had put his pilgrimage garb on. Because of this, after finishing the tavaf (circling Ka'ba) and Safa and Marva rituals in Mecca he kept on his garb so he could continue with the rituals in Arafat and Mina. Amir-almo'mineen (as) and all those which had sacrifices with them did the same thing. But those people who didn't have sacrifices with them and had taken off their pilgrimage garbs in Mecca - except for a minority who made themselves look like Muslims but disobeyed orders - wore their pilgrimage garbs again but this time with the intention of The Greater Hajj (Tamatto'e), and set off with the Prophet (pbuh).

Mecca, in the last months of the Prophet's life, refreshes the memories from the beginning of the Prophet's (pbuh) mission; the time that he had orders from God to announce Ali (as) as his successor. In a feast, which he had invited his relatives, he held Amir-almo'mineen's (as) hand -who had at most 13 years of age - and said:

"This (youth) is my brother ( akhi), inheritor (vasiei or he who takes after my affairs after I die) and successor (khalifati) amongst you; listen to what he says and obey his orders [3]."

[1] Seyyed ibn Tavoos, Iqbal ul-A'mal, p. 472

[2] al-Kulaini, al-Kafi, vol. 4, p. 207

[3] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 18, p. 163. Ahmed al-Hanbal, al-Musnad, vol. 6, p. 159.

• Advanced Member

Only 9 days left to the celebration of the Angels in the Skies [1]

Saturday, 9th of Dhil-hajjah, year 10 A.H

March 9th, year 632 A.D

Today is a day to revise all we have done and all we have not done; a day to confess to all our sins and ask God for forgiveness; Today is the day of Arafah and the place that we are speaking about is the desert of Arafat.

The Arafat desert is an extraordinary place and more extraordinary is the day of Arafah.

In such a day, the Prophet (pbuh) stayed in Mina until sunrise and then went to Arafat. If you look clearly, we will see his tent in a place called Namrah and if we pay attention to what he says we can infer that he is somehow announcing his departure from this world. The sun of the life of Prophet (pbuh) is slowly setting. The last voyage of the Messenger of God (pbuh) will end with him announcing the last duties of his mission.

The Prophet (pbuh) is very worried about something. He knows that in the final days of his life he must introduce his successor to the Islamic community.

The Prophet (pbuh) has Harsh and sensitive days ahead of him. The trustworthy Messenger of God must make his followers prepared in order to receive the message from God. It was just last night that he was announcing for the believers, the message Gabriel had brought him:

"Real welfare, complete salvation (and genuine prosperity) is for those who love Ali during his lifetime and after his death [2]."

[1] Seyyed ibn Tavoos, Iqbal ul-A'mal, p. 468

[2] Al-majlesi, Bihar ul-Anwar, vol. 18, p. 163