Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

WuDu...how many times do you wash face/hands

Rate this topic

slowly707

• Advanced Member

Ive seen many people do wudu and I see a lot of variation and Iam sure if these variations are allowed in shariah and whether people are just oblivious of the law.

One of the big ones is washing the face....how many times do you take water and apply to the face? Ive seen people do it once, twice, and even three times. This also goes for washing of the arms from the elbows...me personally I do it once but Ive seen people take 3 handfulls of water. So what is the verdict...is this allowed?

It is wajib to do it once and mustahab twice. If somebody picks up water several times with the intention that it is part of the first for some reason (they didnt get enough water the first time) it counts as the first and he can do another one after that too.

Hope that clears it up.

• Advanced Member

http://shiabliss.multiply.com/video/item/1/How_to_perform_Wudu_the_shia_way.

Performance of wudu according to Shia Muslims

Wudu must be performed on the skin except in the case of the wiping of the head (unless there is an obstacle that isn't naturally there, such as a combover). If there are bandages stopping one from wiping the skin of the arms, face, etc., then it is permissible to wipe the bandage.

1. Make the intention to perform wudu in the heart.
  2. Shape the right hand like a cup and take water into it. Afterwards, pour the water on the top of the forehead and wipe down with the right hand. It is obligatory to wash from the area where the hair normally grows to the chin.
  3. Shape the left hand like a cup and take water into it. Afterwards, pour this water onto your right forearm and wash your right forearm (covering the right forearm in water, leaving no spot dry). Wipe from the elbow to the fingers, and not from the fingers to the elbow.
  4. Repeat this process except with the left forearm.
  5. Without taking more water, wipe your hair from the middle down to the forehead, or vice versa, using the index finger of your right hand; it is mustahab to use three fingers. If you are balding, you would wash your hair as if it were growing when you had a full head of hair. It is not permissible to wipe the hair over an obstacle (such as wiping a hat or a turban instead of the hair/skin). It is not obligatory to wipe the actual skin on the head. If, however, the hair isn't growing from the area you are wiping (such as if you have a combover), then you must move the hair to where it belongs and wipe the skin.
  6. Without taking more water, wipe the top of your right foot with your right hand. You only wipe once and with a swiping motion. It is unallowed to wipe the shoe, sock, etc. You MUST wipe the skin of the feet unless there is an extreme reason.
  7. Do the same thing, except using your left hand and wiping your left foot.

Imam Ali and the other Imams have stated that there are Mustahab, or recommended actions to wudu along with the above mentioned method.[21] These acts are recommended:

1. Washing the hands twice.
  2. Gargling the mouth three times.
  3. Rinsing the nose three times.
  4. Washing the face twice and the arms twice. It should be noted that it is not permissible to wipe the head and the feet twice (unless it is because one missed a spot) and that it is not permissible to wash the face and the arms three times.

There is no sin in leaving these out, but by doing them you will be rewarded by Allah. These extra acts are to be seen as Mustahab and it is forbidden to think of them as obligatory. These Mustahab acts of wudu are stated in Shia Hadiths.

• Advanced Member

http://shiabliss.multiply.com/video/item/1/How_to_perform_Wudu_the_shia_way.

Performance of wudu according to Shia Muslims

Wudu must be performed on the skin except in the case of the wiping of the head (unless there is an obstacle that isn't naturally there, such as a combover). If there are bandages stopping one from wiping the skin of the arms, face, etc., then it is permissible to wipe the bandage.

1. Make the intention to perform wudu in the heart.
  2. Shape the right hand like a cup and take water into it. Afterwards, pour the water on the top of the forehead and wipe down with the right hand. It is obligatory to wash from the area where the hair normally grows to the chin.
  3. Shape the left hand like a cup and take water into it. Afterwards, pour this water onto your right forearm and wash your right forearm (covering the right forearm in water, leaving no spot dry). Wipe from the elbow to the fingers, and not from the fingers to the elbow.
  4. Repeat this process except with the left forearm.
  5. Without taking more water, wipe your hair from the middle down to the forehead, or vice versa, using the index finger of your right hand; it is mustahab to use three fingers. If you are balding, you would wash your hair as if it were growing when you had a full head of hair. It is not permissible to wipe the hair over an obstacle (such as wiping a hat or a turban instead of the hair/skin). It is not obligatory to wipe the actual skin on the head. If, however, the hair isn't growing from the area you are wiping (such as if you have a combover), then you must move the hair to where it belongs and wipe the skin.
  6. Without taking more water, wipe the top of your right foot with your right hand. You only wipe once and with a swiping motion. It is unallowed to wipe the shoe, sock, etc. You MUST wipe the skin of the feet unless there is an extreme reason.
  7. Do the same thing, except using your left hand and wiping your left foot.

Imam Ali and the other Imams have stated that there are Mustahab, or recommended actions to wudu along with the above mentioned method.[21] These acts are recommended:

1. Washing the hands twice.
  2. Gargling the mouth three times.
  3. Rinsing the nose three times.
  4. Washing the face twice and the arms twice. It should be noted that it is not permissible to wipe the head and the feet twice (unless it is because one missed a spot) and that it is not permissible to wash the face and the arms three times.

There is no sin in leaving these out, but by doing them you will be rewarded by Allah. These extra acts are to be seen as Mustahab and it is forbidden to think of them as obligatory. These Mustahab acts of wudu are stated in Shia Hadiths.

Thanks Nazar, jazakullah.

• Advanced Member

didn't you just read what Nazar just posted "it is not permissible to wash the face and the arms three times."

who will decide how many times i need to wash my hands and feet if i think i need to wash them...Quraan says clean them it does not mention how many times.

• Advanced Member

who will decide how many times i need to wash my hands and feet if i think i need to wash them...Quraan says clean them it does not mention how many times.

Quran also says to pray but doesn't tell you that, for example, maghrib is 3 rakats. If we are using your logic, someone can pray each salat only 1 rakat and say "quran just said to pray"