Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Zahra or Zehra, which is correct?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salaam Fellow Shia-chatters,

'Zahra' or 'Zehra', which is the original authentic arabic name of Bibi Fatima? Is it "Zahra" that's predominant in Arabic literature or "Zehra"? Or are they both correct, but usage depends on the grammar of the sentence?

Thanks bro's and sisters!

Sulayman

• Advanced Member

'Zahra' or 'Zehra', which is the original authentic arabic name of Bibi Fatima? Is it "Zahra" that's predominant in Arabic literature or "Zehra"? Or are they both correct, but usage depends on the grammar of the sentence?

Sulayman

*ZEHRA*

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Zahra is the way it's pronounced in Farsi. and Zehra is how some Indians and Pakistani's pronounce it. I think the original in Arabic is also pronounced Zahra.

The reason Pakistanis and Indians pronounce it differently is just because of accents, when the word does not show the punctuation the native speaker will pronounce it in their accent and Indians/Pakistani's will pronounce it as Zehra. Technically it is incorrect, but it's just due to it not being a native word.

• Veteran Member

(salam),

^ Yup, Mujahid is right. The difference is only in the pronunciation and accent. Indo-Pak Muslims will pronounce it 'Zehra' ÒöåÑÇ because of the impact of Urdu accent. Arab Muslims will pronounce it 'Zahraa' ÇáÒóøåÑÇÁ. And the real word, is Zahraa, since only Zahraa can be correctly translated as 'the shining one'. Also important to note that the Urdu text will never contain 'al' and an Á at the end. This means, you will never hear people saying Al-Zehra or Az-Zehra. Without the 'al', the word will not translate as 'the shining one' but just as 'shining one'. Many old calligraphy scripts record ÇáÒóøåÑÇÁ in the calligraphy, such as this one:

Binte_Muhammad.jpg

(wasalam)

Basim Ali Jafri

IT is Zahra not Zehra.

Sulayman

• Veteran Member

(salam)

Zahra is the way it's pronounced in Farsi. and Zehra is how some Indians and Pakistani's pronounce it. I think the original in Arabic is also pronounced Zahra.

The reason Pakistanis and Indians pronounce it differently is just because of accents, when the word does not show the punctuation the native speaker will pronounce it in their accent and Indians/Pakistani's will pronounce it as Zehra. Technically it is incorrect, but it's just due to it not being a native word.

This is correct. I should add that only some native Urdu speakers (who are less than 10% of total Pakistani population) pronounce 'Zahra' as 'Zehra'. Many Indian Urdu speakers also pronounce 'Zehra.' Non-Urdu speakers dislike and make fun of their accent and pronunciation :D

Edited by Marbles
  • Advanced Member

Jazakallah Shiachatters! You're the best! :-)

i seriously want an answer to this question otherwise i will die and my whole life will be worthless futile.

LOL!

Many old calligraphy scripts record ÇáÒóøåÑÇÁ in the calligraphy, such as this one:

Binte_Muhammad.jpg

Thanks for the image Basim, that clarified it for me completely.

Salaams and duas,

Sulayman

• Advanced Member

"Zahraa" is the correct way of spelling it if you want it to be pronounced like it is in Arabic. Zahra is different than Zahraa, the meaning differs, the first means flower and it is not the name of Fatima AlZahraa(AS). "Zehra" is a wrong spelling, if you pronounce it the way it's written in Zehra, it will have no meaning(no meaning to the word not person).

• Veteran Member

"Zahraa" is the correct way of spelling it if you want it to be pronounced like it is in Arabic. Zahra is different than Zahraa, the meaning differs,te the first means flower and it is not the name of Fatima AlZahraa(AS). "Zehra" is a wrong spelling, if you pronounce it the way it's written in Zehra, it will have no meaning(no meaning to the word not person).

Yes, the word ends with an elongated 'alif'. So it is best transliterated as 'Zahraa.' I did not know that short 'alif' in the end would give it a totally different meaning. But I think the difference between the two pronunciations is subtle. This is why you have 'Zahraa' normally transliterated as 'Zahra', at least in the Subcontinent. Also because normally, in English, elongated 'Alif' is not denoted with two 'aa' but one 'a'. My sister writes her name as Zahra.

I think there is no harm in allowing even accented differences in pronunciation. Such as 'Zehra' should also be fine if some pronounce it that way [although I find it annoying lol]. It can be compared with the Iranian pronunciation of the name "Fatima/Fatimah." Iranians usually pronounce it as "Fatimeh." Although I agree with you that transliteration should be as phonetic as possible and pronunciation as close to the original as possible.

Edited by Marbles
  • Advanced Member

Neither. Both are wrong, it is AL zAhra, otherwise the name has no meaning.

Wrong. I'm assuming your linguistic knowledge of the Arabic grammar is weak . Removing "Al" from any word does not nullify its meaning. The "Al" for Lady Fatima is called "alif-laam altaa'reef" which translated to "The" in English. Removing "the" from any noun does not change the meaning of the word.

I think there is no harm in allowing even accented differences in pronunciation. Such as 'Zehra' should also be fine if some pronounce it that way [although I find it annoying lol]. It can be compared with the Iranian pronunciation of the name "Fatima/Fatimah." Iranians usually pronounce it as "Fatimeh." Although I agree with you that transliteration should be as phonetic as possible and pronunciation as close to the original as possible.

I never said there was any harm in whichever pronunciation. I was just referring to the Arabic meaning of the name to answer the OP's question. Removing one letter changes the meaning of the name however I agree most girls with this name write it "Zahra" .

Edited by Calm
  • Veteran Member

I never said there was any harm in whichever pronunciation. I was just referring to the Arabic meaning of the name to answer the OP's question. Removing one letter changes the meaning of the name however I agree most girls with this name write it "Zahra" .

Would you please show in Arabic how the two words differ in spelling: zahraa and zahra?

• Advanced Member

Would you please show in Arabic how the two words differ in spelling: zahraa and zahra?

Sure I can:

Zahra(it translates to "flower") = 񌄃

Zahraa(the name of Lady Fatima which has many meanings): ÒåÑÇÁ

I agree with you that the "hamzah" (Á) does not exist in English letters but in Canada we use the double "a" at the end of those names replacing the "hamzah". Again, most Zahras I know spell it "Zahra" though. It's really not a big deal, both spellings are fine but if the OP wants to chose between "Zahra" and "Zehra" , it should be definitely be "Zahra".

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I think in Arabic it would be like Zehraa' (Zeh-Raw-full stop) but can be spelled either way. It's like Mehdi and Mahdi.

No, this name is written with a "fatha" on the "z" which makes the pronounciation "za" not "ze" . Here's the original name with the correct "accents" on it زَهْرَاءْ. Same goes with the Name Mahdi, it is also spelled with a "fatha" on the "m" making it sound "Mah" not "Meh".

Sister i eant in a spritual sense, not a literal sense. Al-zahra would be a correct term and zahra would be wrong.

I see. The OP was asking about the grammar of the word not the spiritual . And even if we want to know which one is the correct one for Lady Fatima, the latter (Zahraa) is also correct, the "al" is added depending on the grammar of the sentence even when it is about Lady Fatima(AS) . Example:

شعت فلا الشمس تحكيها ولا القمر زهراء من نورها الأكوان تزدهر

We're still referring to Lady Fatima when we removed the "al" in this poem.

Edited by Calm
  • Forum Administrators

(salam)

No, this name is written with a "fatha" on the "z" which makes the pronounciation "za" not "ze" . Here's the original name with the correct "accents" on it ÒóåúÑóÇÁú. Same goes with the Name Mahdi, it is also spelled with a "fatha" on the "m" making it sound "Mah" not "Meh".

Except in English when you write "Mahdi" it sounds more like "Ma dee" or "Maw dee" rather than Meh-di.